Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Bolt Action Files

Notices

Old March 18, 2020, 21:56   #1
Oz308
Registered

FALaholic #: 68280
Schmidt Rubin questions

Hi All-

Recently stumbled into a pretty neat video, guy has 'Cap and Ball Channel'.
Hungarian, I think. I've watched his old cap and ball revolver vids quite a bit.

Rifle in question is a Schmidt Rubin "G11". It's kinda long, 7.5 x 55 Swiss, and it seems to be a great shooting stick, at least for him. If it wasn't some trick internet stunt, he was bopping steel at 600yds with it.

Started reading a bit, it seems everyone wants the shorter K31 types. I kinda like old 'long' rifles, especially if they shoot well. It seems the Swiss were known for making high quality arms, from what I've been reading so far.

Read a bit more on the net for a few days, but there seems to be some conflicting info out there, about what ammo is safe, rarity/availability of rifles, etc. Gunjoker, Armslist, etc...not very consistent.

I'd rather buy from a trusted private party anyway, if it were to happen.

Figured I could get some straight and honest answers from the Files, it's been a good help to me in the past.

A few questions for you guys-

Are these things rare, hard to find, and expensive, if they are in really good condition?

Is it hard to find them original, that is, NOT sportered/bubba-ed up? I just prefer originality, when it comes to milsurps.

If ever needed, are parts available?

Can you safely run the 'modern' 7.5 x 55 Swiss ammo in them? Or will reloading be the normal activity. Conflicting info on the net about this, and I would not want to blow it up.

Very curious, about 'actual' accuracy.

If anyone on the Files is into these sticks, would love to hear about it.

As always, thanks much for your time and consideration.
Oz308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2020, 02:09   #2
swedishmauser
Registered

FALaholic #: 76539
Swissrifles.com (and Wikipedia) has a nice summary of the Schmidt-Rubin series of rifles. The ones that are more readily available are the Model 1889 that shoots the GP90 7.5x53.5 cartridge (not safe to shoot the higher pressure GP11 7.5x55 cartridge); Model 1896/11 (long rifle), Model 1911 (G11, long rifle), Model 1911 Carbine (K11, short rifle), and Model 1931 (K31, short rifle) that all shoot the GP11 7.5x55 cartridge. Currently, Classic Firearms has the Model 1896/11, Model 1911, and Model 1911 Carbine for sale. J&G Sales has one Model 1911 for sale. Edelweiss Arms has a few of the more uncommon variants for sale-e.g. Model 1897 Kadet Rifle, ZFK 31/42 Sniper Rifle, and 00/11 Carbine. The auction sites also have the various models listed. Add, they have the reputation of being very accurate.

Last edited by swedishmauser; March 19, 2020 at 02:23.
swedishmauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2020, 09:59   #3
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
I have a friend, a member here too I think, who has a Model 1911 that he's interested in selling. I have a K11 and several K31s and they are all good shooters. I haven't bought any GP11 ammo in a while and I'm not sure how available it is now, but I've found the Privi 7.5 Swiss to be fine as well. As an example, here are two pics of sighting in targets from when I mounted a Bushnell Elite 3200 on my 1942 K31. Please bear in mind that I'm not much of a marksman, and a really good shooter should get much better results than I did here, at 25 meters.

GP11 174 gr FMJ:

Privi 174 gr SP:

Harry Truman

"The rock of democracy will founder when people think of people unlike themselves as the "other"-Teddy Roosevelt

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

Know your rights; the future is unwritten.
Texgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2020, 12:10   #4
Oz308
Registered

Wow, that's nice :-)

TG-

That's pretty cool.

Wow, so guess there is some truth that these yodel-sticks are pretty fine.

Thanks for posting that.

If I could ask, do you know if there was ever a factory, or period, optic for these too? The goggles are starting to get a bit fuzzy as the years go by.

Got some more reading to do.

Thanks again
Old March 19, 2020, 14:56   #5
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz308 View Post
TG-

That's pretty cool.

Wow, so guess there is some truth that these yodel-sticks are pretty fine.

Thanks for posting that.

If I could ask, do you know if there was ever a factory, or period, optic for these too? The goggles are starting to get a bit fuzzy as the years go by.

Got some more reading to do.

Thanks again
Thanks and you're welcome too! I don't know about a period optic other than the various diopter sights mounted through the years. You've probably checked the above-mentioned Swissrifles.com. No doubt an answer can be found there. Good luck!

Harry Truman

"The rock of democracy will founder when people think of people unlike themselves as the "other"-Teddy Roosevelt

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

Old March 19, 2020, 20:21   #6
Oz308
Registered

Mr Tex

Mr Tex,

Just curious, if you've spoken to your pal about his Model 1911, or maybe you've handled/shot it, too...how nice of condition, how accurate, etc.

If this isn't the proper place to discuss it, maybe you could pm me sometime.

If this was to ever happen, again, prefer a trustworthy private party, instead of auctions, or even retailers. Just been burnt in the past by both of those, have no wish for a repeat. It also seems that some folks don't/won't ship to AK, either.

Even if nothing comes out of this discussion, thank you again for your time and courtesy.
Old March 20, 2020, 06:50   #7
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
https://edelweissarms.com/

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2020, 07:40   #8
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz308 View Post
Mr Tex,

Just curious, if you've spoken to your pal about his Model 1911, or maybe you've handled/shot it, too...how nice of condition, how accurate, etc.

If this isn't the proper place to discuss it, maybe you could pm me sometime.

If this was to ever happen, again, prefer a trustworthy private party, instead of auctions, or even retailers. Just been burnt in the past by both of those, have no wish for a repeat. It also seems that some folks don't/won't ship to AK, either.

Even if nothing comes out of this discussion, thank you again for your time and courtesy.
Oz, I did contact my friend this morning and sent him a link to this discussion. I suggested that he contact you via PM; you might look for a PM from him before too long. I've only seen his rifle once but I remember it being in good shape. He can answer all of your questions though. I hope it helps and again, you're very welcome! I hope you get a good one because they are interesting and fascinating firearms.

Just to keep ya interested, here's a pic of my Swiss family rifle collection. From the top down, they are a 1928 K11, 1934 K31 (second year production),1940 K31, 1942 K31 and 1952 K31 (I believe this rifle was built within a week or two of my birthday in 1952). The first three have their original finish walnut stocks while the last two were refinished with shellac by me.

Harry Truman

Old March 20, 2020, 11:12   #9
eagle54
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 13033
Thought i would add to the posting..

First pic shows the long rifles

Second pic shows the carbine rifles..kinda funny Texgunner mentions that the his 1952 mode K-31 is the year of his birthday. I have to say that my K-31 1954 is the same year i was born. My 2 K-31 rifles have the Steel St Marie scope mounts.

eagle54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2020, 21:42   #10
Oz308
Registered

Wow, thank you both!

Guys-

Wow. Thanks again for pics and info. Those are some nice looking rifels you got there.

Thinking this is going to be a pretty deep rabbit hole. The more I've been reading, the more intriguing it is. Stumbled into some more vids and websites.
Seems a guy in Montana makes bits to use these things out to 1000 yards, amongst other widgets for them.

Well, whatever happens, happens. It's fascinating all the same. Amazing how a country known for cheese and chocolate, has made such nice 'sporting' machinery.

Thanks again, stay safe and have a good weekend.