The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AK Files

Notices

Old February 10, 2020, 22:37   #1
straycat23
Registered

FALaholic #: 59479
Galil vs Valmet

I am reading that Galil is a refinement of the Valmet. Are they as good as far as smoothness of action and accuracy? Are parts interchangeable between the Galil and Valmet? How about availability of magazines?
straycat23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2020, 00:17   #2
FALfail
Registered

FALaholic #: 81159
Quote:
Originally Posted by straycat23 View Post
I am reading that Galil is a refinement of the Valmet. Are they as good as far as smoothness of action and accuracy? Are parts interchangeable between the Galil and Valmet? How about availability of magazines?
Galil magazine's are inexpensive - under $30 for refinished millsurp, and relatively readily available. Valmet, especially 5.56, are Texa$ and rare. Like $300+ each. Folks do extensively modify bulgy 5.56 ak mags to fit and function. Riskier seems to be modded Galil mags, in either case the cartridge can strike the feed ramp or chamber and setback the bullet. Kaboom. Potentially.
FALfail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2020, 00:27   #3
Icer
Registered

FALaholic #: 82501
I own them both and in my experience Valmet's tend to be more accurate with better factory triggers and more accurate barrels.
Galil's have superior ergonomics with their ambi safety and upturned cocking handle.
Both have very smooth actions due to their excellent attention to tolerances.
Parts are not generally considered interchangeable between the two although some industrious individuals have gone out of their way to modify one make into the other. No small undertaking...
Galil magazines are widely available, and while prices are steadily increasing, they can in no way compare to the rarity and cost of Valmet magazines.
Galil 35rnd .223 magazines in "good" condition $15-$20. Valmet 30rnd .223 magazines in "good" condition $250-$300.
Galil 25rnd .308 magazines in "good" condition $100. Valmet 20rnd .308 magazines in "good" condition $275-$350.
If you're buying a Valmet make sure it comes with enough magazines to feed it because your chance of finding more at a reasonable cost is slim.

Icer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2020, 10:12   #4
straycat23
Registered

FALaholic #: 59479
Great information. Thank you.
straycat23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2020, 16:08   #5
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
In the late 1960s a group of Israeli officials were in the DC area and stopped into Interarms in Alexandria, to inquire about sales, arms, etc as they were seeking a replacement for their FALs at the time. When they asked about AKs, Tom Nelson (Interarms rep) grabbed a M-62 Valmet off of a rack and basically said, “this is the best their is.” Early prototypes of the Galil were built on milled Valmet receivers.

To echo others, get your wallet out when it comes to 5.56 and 7.62 NATO mags, but 7.62x39 Valmets will accept any standard AK mag.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!” -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2020, 20:07   #6
spider991
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 35820
Valmet, because Robin Williams had one in Survivors....that is enough

Last edited by spider991; February 19, 2020 at 21:05.
spider991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2020, 03:12   #7
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
Valmet....cause I got my 71s when I was 13 !!! I still miss it...
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2020, 04:43   #8
yovinny
Old Fart
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
I had a 762x39 76 with the top cover scope for awhile before the 94 ban.
I wasent very impressed with the accuracy, though ammo availability then might have played a part in that too, as choice was limited to a few different flavors of surplus or chinese.
Best I ever did with it,,,,was sell it during the early ban panic for more money then they can be had for today.
Cant say that I reallly miss it much,,,though that pretty well goes for anything Ive ever owned in 762x39.
Just my .02..yv
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2020, 08:27   #9
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy the Aussie View Post
Valmet....cause I got my 71s when I was 13 !!! I still miss it...
I hate it when a beloved firearm accidentally fallsoverboard on a fishing trip

With apologies to Andy for wise-assing a serious consequence of government malfeasance. Our nightmare became his reality

Regrettably, I have never owned a Valmet, but Ib can confirm what most probably already know, that the Galils in both 5.56 and 7.62 are dead ston4e reliable pieces (b at least mine always were ! ).If there had been a better way to mount optics on them, they'd probably still live here !

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2020, 08:28   #10
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
I had a 762x39 76...……….I wasent very impressed with the accuracy, though ammo availability then might have played a part in that too, as choice was limited to a few different flavors of surplus or chinese.
Sorry for the thread drift but since you bring it up, quality ammo can make a huge difference IMHO. I have a PSA 7.62X39 KS47 AR with an inexpensive 4x scope. With quality brass-cased ammo out to 400 yards I do about as well with it as a similarly scoped 5.56 AR. Using Wolf, Tula, Chinese, I don't know, I have never shot them at more than a 100. I did run a couple of two-gun matches with the KS47 and steel cased ammo and it was a lot of fun.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2020, 16:53   #11
jjjxlr8
Registered

FALaholic #: 34903
So THAT'S where all the Valmet M76 mags are!! Icer has them!! Want to trade on of those 30 rounders for something?? What are you looking for?
jjjxlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2020, 17:10   #12
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

M71 and M76 5.56 mags are interchangeable, but M71s came with 2-rivets, while M76s came with 3-rivet mags (like the ones pictured).

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!” -C. Montgomery Burns
Old February 20, 2020, 18:23   #13
jjjxlr8
Registered

Do the M71 mags fit as tightly with the same amount of wobble? I've never owned an M71 nor a M71 magazine.

Old February 20, 2020, 19:06   #14
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Not noticeably so.

Old February 21, 2020, 20:32   #15
Icer
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjxlr8 View Post
So THAT'S where all the Valmet M76 mags are!! Icer has them!! Want to trade on of those 30 rounders for something?? What are you looking for?
Looking for original IMI 25rnd .308 magazines and Costa Mesa Armalite AR-18 magazines.
Would have to be a very generous offer to get me to trade though...I spent a lot of years tracking those magazines down.
Old February 21, 2020, 23:27   #16
jjjxlr8
Registered

Are Costa Mesa AR18 mags different than the typical AR18 mags? I can probably come up with some new in the box 25 round .308 Galil mags.

Is this a Costa Mesa AR18 mag?

Old February 22, 2020, 01:17   #17
Icer
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjxlr8 View Post
Are Costa Mesa AR18 mags different than the typical AR18 mags? I can probably come up with some new in the box 25 round .308 Galil mags.

Is this a Costa Mesa AR18 mag?
Here's a link to an article discussing the original Costa Mesa 30 round magazines. They can be tough to find...
http://ar180s.com/identifying-costa-...und-magazines/
Old March 03, 2020, 16:21   #18
PARA FN FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 17487
This is a little off topic here but I use Tapco Galil mags in both my Century Galil and in my Valmet. They seem to have the correct bullet feed geometry. Also there is a guy at AR15.com that was making mags for the Valmet on a 3D printer. My mag worked well but it could use a little refinement. He goes by Regal T-type. Also Valmets always felt smoother to me than Galil.
PARA FN FAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 05, 2020, 16:30   #19
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
Both are fantastic for sure. I always preferred the galil due to the following advantages:

1. Better stock. The Galil has arguably the best folding stock ever designed.
2. Ease of mounting a scope
3. Magazines - less expensive, readily available, and 35 rounds.
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 05, 2020, 19:43   #20
jjjxlr8
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARA FN FAL View Post
This is a little off topic here but I use Tapco Galil mags in both my Century Galil and in my Valmet. They seem to have the correct bullet feed geometry. Also there is a guy at AR15.com that was making mags for the Valmet on a 3D printer. My mag worked well but it could use a little refinement. He goes by Regal T-type. Also Valmets always felt smoother to me than Galil.
I'd love to see the Tapco mag installed with a round in place to see what the feed angle is. Could you take a photo?

The Valmet mags use the front of the mag body to guide the cartridges up into the chamber.

I've modified a Weiger mag and a Galil mag to work in the Valmet but I'm not 100% satisfied with the Galil fitment. Never thought of using a Tapco mag!
Old March 09, 2020, 22:12   #21
Hacksaw830
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 83713
Owned both. Kick myself weekly for selling them during the Clinton awb. Personally, I'd give slight edge to Galil. Love both
Hacksaw830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2020, 19:39   #22
PARA FN FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 17487
All right I amend what I said about the Tapco mags. It does feed in the Valmet but it is caused by sitting a little low at the front of the receiver. This causes the bullets to kick up just a bit when feeding. This can't be safe. I would hate to see one of these beautiful Valmets blow up from a damaged bullet firing. If I can figure out how to post pictures of this I will.
PARA FN FAL is offline   Reply With Quote