The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old February 20, 2020, 17:22   #1
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
DPMS AR-10 Mags @ CDNN

I've been stocking up on the Steel DPMS AR-10 mags at CDNN while they are on sale at 18.99.

Remington is shutting down DPMS so this is probably the last shot to get any. From what I've read these are one of the better mags for the AR-10 platform.

Last edited by nvcdl; February 20, 2020 at 17:31.
nvcdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2020, 18:17   #2
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
I got some DPMS metal AR-10 mags about a decade ago when I got into AR-10 guns.
Very good mags.

I see Remington still lists the R-25 on their website.
Hideous.
https://www.remington.com/rifles/mod...model-r-25-gii
I wonder what they plan to do for magazines.
Is anybody actually buying that monstrosity?

I only ever saw one in the wild. It had cycling problems.

Attached Images
File Type: png R-25_RML000108_Right.png (72.5 KB, 18 views)

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2020, 18:40   #3
nvcdl
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
Very good mags.

Hideous.

I only ever saw one in the wild. It had cycling problems.

Supposedly Remington's Parent Corp is getting out of the Modern Sporting Rifle market with the exception of the Bushmaster BA-50
Old February 20, 2020, 20:38   #4
the gman
Registered

FALaholic #: 5179
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvcdl View Post
I've been stocking up on the Steel DPMS AR-10 mags at CDNN while they are on sale at 18.99.

Remington is shutting down DPMS so this is probably the last shot to get any. From what I've read these are one of the better mags for the AR-10 platform.
They are OK but if they are still manufactured with the body folded and welded at the front, they won't handle 175gr factory loads. The ASC mags are just as good without the fold at the front so will handle the M118 loads.

Personally, I think the P Mags are better than both so I'm not buying the DPMS mags. I've had good success with the Hex Mags too. Lancer mags are also good quality but are pricey.

God is on the side, not of the big battalions, but of the best shots- Voltaire

ďThe American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
the gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2020, 08:53   #5
nvcdl
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gman View Post
They are OK but if they are still manufactured with the body folded and welded at the front, they won't handle 175gr factory loads. The ASC mags are just as good without the fold at the front so will handle the M118 loads.

Personally, I think the P Mags are better than both so I'm not buying the DPMS mags. I've had good success with the Hex Mags too. Lancer mags are also good quality but are pricey.
Yes - the ones I've received are doubled over at the front. Seem very sturdy.

Disappointing that DPMS is going away.
Old February 21, 2020, 09:33   #6
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I am going to cry about loss of DPMS.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2020, 11:53   #7
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
I am going to cry about loss of DPMS.
Apparently lots of AR manufacturers are going to weep too as DPMS was their major parts supplier. DPMS is reported to make parts for many AR people, even ones who bragged about how great their parts made, with their proprietary name engraved on them.

Any loss of a firearms manufacturer in this country is not good, but when some doors are shut, it will open doors for others.

Jarhead
Old February 21, 2020, 11:57   #8
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
Very good mags.

Hideous.
It does't look too bad to me, especially if they ditched that gay finish on it. My Google Fu sucks really bad and I cannot find out what the specs on the barrel. Anybody know the important particulars: material, twist, chrome-lined, nitrided, hammer forged???

TIA,
Jarhead
Thread Hijacker To The Stars
Old February 21, 2020, 12:22   #9
FriendBesto
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 77523
I bought 10 myself. I have MagPul too but they don't fit into my mag bra.
FriendBesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2020, 01:28   #10
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Quote:
I like Lancer mags. I have lots of Magpul mags but Iím not a big fan of them as Iíve had 5 or 6 break on me. Yeah Magpul will replace them but itís a bit of a hassle to do. If you think Lancer mags are pricey look at what LaRue mags sell for, youíll get sticker shock.
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2020, 08:44   #11
jam762
Registered

FALaholic #: 68968
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy1 View Post
I like Lancer mags. I have lots of Magpul mags but Iím not a big fan of them as Iíve had 5 or 6 break on me. Yeah Magpul will replace them but itís a bit of a hassle to do. If you think Lancer mags are pricey look at what LaRue mags sell for, youíll get sticker shock.
You think LaRue mags are expensive, take a look at KAC SR-25 mags.
jam762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2020, 20:10   #12
the gman
Registered

FALaholic #: 5179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead504 View Post
Apparently lots of AR manufacturers are going to weep too as DPMS was their major parts supplier. DPMS is reported to make parts for many AR people, even ones who bragged about how great their parts made, with their proprietary name engraved on them.

Any loss of a firearms manufacturer in this country is not good, but when some doors are shut, it will open doors for others.

Jarhead
DPMS as it once was is long gone. Randy Luth, the former owner, is a good personal friend and mentor of mine. I just spoke with him and his right hand man at SHOT. Freedom Group closed the factory in MN years ago and while Randy was annoyed, he had fair warning as they did the same with Bushmaster. He was upset about 80+ employees getting kicked to the curb but hey, money is money.

DPMS really didn't make much of anything anymore after the move as it was part of the whole Remington/Bushmaster/DPMS parts machine thing. There are far more manufacturers of parts than there have ever been. LW Schneider out of IL is one of the biggies and have been for years. Minimum purchase order is 5,000 pcs. Put Creed Monarch, Tool craft, numerous BCG manufacturers in the mix and frankly, DPMS don't make a thing that you can't buy elsewhere for less. There is a manufacturer of bolts out of MT that you've never heard of that is shipping thousands of bolts a month. They weren't around even 10 years ago. I do want a G2 .308 though...

God is on the side, not of the big battalions, but of the best shots- Voltaire

ďThe American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
the gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2020, 23:11   #13
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I understand there are other vendors and more will enter the mix but for quite some time I knew If purchased a DPMS Lo Pro upper with DPMS lower along with bolt carrier and other parts they always went together slick as snot. Buying DPMS Oracles for $599, tune trigger remove barrel, square front of receiver then add a 6.5 Creed barrel, high pressure bolt with free float forearm was a really fast and inexpensive build. Most of the Service Rifle uppers I built for local competitors used DPMS upper/carrier with White Oak barrel/forearm kit and would never have a complaint.

Luckily I have enough DPMS parts to build a dozen small chassis and at least another half dozen large chassis ARs in the locker. This doesn't include all the SIG uppers and other parts and Colt Competition parts have in bulk. Like both of those this may create a short term supply of really discounted DPMS parts to buy in bulk and put back for the future. Recently realized I was down to less than 100 Mag Tactical AR 15 lowers and never thought that would happen as for months before they bankrupted was buying blems which looked fine for $19 each then when Centerfire Systems was selling them three for $99 added six to twelve to every order like I did SIG uppers from CDNN. Can't count the poodle shooters on the Ponderosa with SIG uppers built on Mag Tac lowers.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2020, 05:48   #14
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
It will be interesting to find in the end most US gun manufacturing is owned by American ultra liberal investing groups. And then they pull up what I expect one day a certain Canadian group, which owns most of the popular gun forums, do: close them all down in a "progressive statement" like Dick's Floppy Goods did.

Well, I think the Canadian group also does PII data harvesting, but now that is just good capitalism in action, right?
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2020, 13:51   #15
TnHawk-45
Registered

FALaholic #: 13892
I do not figure it will do any good, but the Remington Booth at the up coming NRA Convention is my first stop to bitch about the AR-10 going away. If they are worried about money they should have gotten a much smaller booth. As it is, it is scheduled to be one of the biggest in the show.

Hopefully if enough of us gripe they 'may' change their corporate minds!
TnHawk-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2020, 19:14   #16
Tat2
Registered

FALaholic #: 52329
Quote:

Same here. And i thought the DPMS mags only held 19 rounds too.Ö???

T
Tat2 is offline   Reply With Quote