The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > News & Political Discussion > News & Current Events

Notices

Old November 07, 2019, 16:16   #1
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
now, about that DNA test you took to find out if you are more indian than Lieawatha..

A Florida detective investigating a serial rapist will have access to the DNA profiles of nearly one million people after a judge recently approved a warrant to search the full database of the same site used to catch the alleged Golden State Killer, reports say....

... GEDmatch, one of the smaller websites that logs the genetic information of participating users, changed its policy in the face of major backlash by privacy groups after the arrest of James DeAngelo, 72, the suspect in the notorious Golden State Killer case, who was tracked down using DNA matches to his third cousin’s DNA profile from the website.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-j...n-state-killer
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2019, 18:16   #2
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
The only place I send DNA samples..........oh, never mind

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2019, 18:44   #3
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
So I have a question or two about collecting DNA samples.

Does the US military do DNA tests and place the results anywhere besides your medical record?

Has there ever been a case where medical personnel provided DNA samples to law enforcement agencies without the person's knowledge?

I get my blood drawn every three months in order to have my A1C checked. I would be one pissed off old bum if I learned that the medical lab was providing DNA to the police. It's not like I am trying to hide anything. All those years working for the Federal Bureau of Prisons and my four years in the Army means the gov't has a lot of info on me.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2019, 18:56   #4
G1user
Registered

FALaholic #: 6546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Bum View Post

Does the US military do DNA tests and place the results anywhere besides your medical record?

Has there ever been a case where medical personnel provided DNA samples to law enforcement agencies without the person's knowledge?

I get my blood drawn every three months in order to have my A1C checked. I would be one pissed off old bum if I learned that the medical lab was providing DNA to the police. It's not like I am trying to hide anything. All those years working for the Federal Bureau of Prisons and my four years in the Army means the gov't has a lot of info on me.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
to ask the question is to answer it.
Old November 07, 2019, 20:47   #5
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

I rather doubt you could trust an answer in the negative, considering that we are dealing with Big Brother.

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
Old November 07, 2019, 21:00   #6
G1user
Registered

FALaholic #: 6546
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
I rather doubt you could trust an answer in the negative, considering that we are dealing with Big Brother.
post-snowden, there is no doubt about it.
Old November 07, 2019, 21:18   #7
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
I got this
0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2019, 22:01   #8
357ross
Registered

FALaholic #: 47543
Part of the patriot act and extended under obummercare was the sharing of medical records exactly for big brother database stuff like this. Guess who else sells this info? Ancestry, 23 and me, etc. etc.
357ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2019, 22:44   #9
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
The police in my area even grab DNA evidence from stolen cars and whatever...

Building Big Brother, don't you know...

Forrest
ftierson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2019, 23:19   #10
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
If you were to patent or copyright your DNA,and somebody used it for whatever without your expressed permission,could you go after them?
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2019, 23:51   #11
Stoney
Former 0311
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1205
i've given out many samples over the years

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

"Some minds are like concrete, thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.”

Has freedom been replaced with Free-Dumb.

Illegitimi non carborundum

A 1911A1 is like a Glock, except it's for grownups.

AMERICA! Designed by geniuses. Now run by idiots.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen." Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old Viking saying: Never be more then two steps from your weapon

Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living.
Stoney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2019, 06:48   #12
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
i've given out many samples over the years
At the bank?

Carlos Castenada
TenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2019, 08:09   #13
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTea View Post
At the bank?
OUCH

Old November 08, 2019, 08:40   #14
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Yep, I sit back and shake my head when family members have sent their DNA to some ancestry site to massage their egos on where they came from. And these are the ones that don't trust the government

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2019, 09:29   #15
Trypcil
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63101
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
If you were to patent or copyright your DNA,and somebody used it for whatever without your expressed permission,could you go after them?
Copyrighting, would be an interesting legal battle - more a matter of money tho', than conviction - but dealing with the gubment, any favourable alignement for an individual, would be swiped into a gubment's favour! But a great notion nonetheless!

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." -- Voltaire

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression... There is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we must be most aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness." -- William O. Douglas, US Supreme Court Justice from 1939-1975

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- Krishnamurti
Trypcil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2019, 09:51   #16
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTea View Post
At the bank?
Around the toilet seat and shower more like!

Jarhead
Old November 08, 2019, 09:56   #17
Jarhead504
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Bum View Post

It's not like I am trying to hide anything. All those years working for the Federal Bureau of Prisons and my four years in the Army means the gov't has a lot of info on me.
So what does the gummint need to know about ANYONE that it does not already know? I like to tease the youngsters (20 ->40) and on up when I tell them "The gummint knows what song your parents were listening to when you were conceived. What don't they know about you?".

Most of them just give the deer-in-the-headlights stare. They have no idea what I'm talking about.

Jarhead
Old November 08, 2019, 10:45   #18
357ross
Registered

FALaholic #: 47543
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Yep, I sit back and shake my head when family members have sent their DNA to some ancestry site to massage their egos on where they came from. And these are the ones that don't trust the government
My observation exactly. I never understood why this is such a fascination for some.
357ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2019, 12:34   #19
Blackmore
> Dirt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2690
If my DNA has somehow been harvested without my consent from the bloodwork I've had to have done over my lifetime, there's nothing I can do about it.

However, I'm proud to say I'm in my 7th decade and have never been fingerprinted nor had my pee tested for drugs.
Old November 08, 2019, 13:16   #20
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by 357ross View Post
My observation exactly. I never understood why this is such a fascination for some.
Especially since some of the DNA sites have been outed as giving completely fraudulent results to people who have paid for info (pretend you have more African 'blood' than you really do, for example).

And does it really make any difference what real results are anyway?

Sounds like a bunch of racists to me...

Forrest
ftierson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2019, 14:20   #21
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
Anyone ever working for a government agency, posted on social media or a site like this one, uses a 'smart' phone, pays income, real estate, or personal property taxes, has a driver's license, or CCW permit likely has supplied enough personal information without worrying too much about their DNA.
Whydah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2019, 15:06   #22
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
i know that i'm about 2-3% neanderthal, and so were both of my wives.

[IMG][/IMG]
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2019, 16:17   #23
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
It pisses off a lot of people, that my DNA has not turned up yet at a crime scene.
V guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2019, 21:17   #24
Jarhead504
Registered

[QUOTE=Blackmore;4804852

However, I'm proud to say I'm in my 7th decade and have never been fingerprinted nor had my pee tested for drugs. [/QUOTE]

I've been fingerprinted hundreds of times as it was one of the requirements from the Dads before they would let me go out with their daughters.

Jarhead
Old November 08, 2019, 21:18   #25
Jarhead504
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by V guy View Post
It pisses off a lot of people, that my DNA has not turned up yet at a crime scene.
Don't worry. Your DNA will show up at a crime scene IF they want it to.

Jarhead
Old November 09, 2019, 05:45   #26
Sh3008
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydah View Post
Anyone ever working for a government agency, posted on social media or a site like this one, uses a 'smart' phone, pays income, real estate, or personal property taxes, has a driver's license, or CCW permit likely has supplied enough personal information without worrying too much about their DNA.
Thank you. “They” already know everything.
Old November 09, 2019, 07:19   #27
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore View Post
If my DNA has somehow been harvested without my consent from the bloodwork I've had to have done over my lifetime, there's nothing I can do about it.

However, I'm proud to say I'm in my 7th decade and have never been fingerprinted nor had my pee tested for drugs.
I’ve been finger printed several times.......CHL.....and Security Clearnce.
Studied for the drug test and passed every time...

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2019, 08:29   #28
hardheaded
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 27964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore View Post

They pee us so much where I work , walking through the Tupperware isle at the store makes me have to go