The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > CZ Firearms - Czech it out!

Notices

Old October 16, 2019, 13:40   #1
kroberts
Registered

FALaholic #: 9427
CZ-97!

Handled a CZ-97 today, really liked it. I have a 1911 and an XD in 45, this might be my next big-bore pistol. Didn't really feel heavier than my Springfield either although I was I had asked to handle both. Might go back tomorrow after work to do that.

Anyone own one? Thoughts when compared to a similar 1911?
Old October 16, 2019, 18:06   #2
toys
Registered

FALaholic #: 64100
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroberts View Post
Handled a CZ-97 today, really liked it. I have a 1911 and an XD in 45, this might be my next big-bore pistol. Didn't really feel heavier than my Springfield either although I was I had asked to handle both. Might go back tomorrow after work to do that.

Anyone own one? Thoughts when compared to a similar 1911?
i have 2.

Note that you will want to do your research on them. IIRC, there was a period where the bushing design would walkout during use. I dont remember the particulars, but just do some research on it.

They are large grip guns, but i do love the fact they are accurate.

The LCI to me looks like an afterthought. Its nice, but i dont count/rely on it.
toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2019, 22:50   #3
Wildcat
Registered

FALaholic #: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by toys View Post

IIRC, there was a period where the bushing design would walkout during use. I dont remember the particulars, but just do some research on it.
The barrel bushing on the CZ-97 (at least now) is threaded into the slide and keyed by the recoil spring plug.

The recoil spring in mine seemed to be better suited to bullseye than for hardball. I've put a stiffer spring in and to do that I also needed to add a guide rod or it became very challenging to reassemble.

The magazines for the 97 are identical to Witness 45 magazines.
Old October 18, 2019, 09:02   #4
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 65552
I like the 97, but not enough (yet) to replace my 1911, although that's more to do with where I place my fun money than anything else, and the 1911 is paid for.

I've become a HUGE CZ fan, and the full size 75 and a 75D Compact have done what no other had been able to do: put my Inglis and BHP in the safe. I'm carrying a 75D Compact on my hip now, and a full size 75 under my jacket, and I've become a true believer.

Last edited by ExCdnSoldierInTx; October 19, 2019 at 20:40.
ExCdnSoldierInTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2019, 11:42   #5
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
Earlier models of CZ's model 97 did have issues with the bushing becoming disengaged from the recoil plug and rotating enough to jam up the works. Later models had multiple cut-outs in the plug face to circumvent that previously stated issue. Cajun Gun Works offers a machining service to adapt the 97 slide to be fitted with a match grade bushing from a 1911. Sometimes older is better.
Uriah Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2019, 17:10   #6
toys
Registered

FALaholic #: 64100
forgot...

i have some 1911s including a 80s ACE.

Love the platform. Feels great in my hands.

I also have some 2x Stack 1911s too. They are PO LDAs. love the concept and have one in 9mm.

To me all of my guns are toys. I do like some over the others, but what it comes down to is that i will buy/try whatever i want and if i dont like it, i may sell/trade it or just toss it in my safe for a later date.

If you can try a CZ you may or may not like it. The only way to know is to take one out for a test drive.
toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2019, 23:48   #7
Sh3008
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82779
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCdnSoldierInTx View Post
I like the 97, but not enough (yet) to replace my 1911, althopuigh that's more to do with where I place my fun money than anything else, and the 1911 is paid for.

I've become a HUGE CZ fan, and the full size 75 and a 75D Compact have done what no other had been able to do: put my Inglis and BHP in the safe. I'm carrying a 75D Compact on my hip now, and a full size 75 under my jacket, and I've become a true believer.

Totally agree about cz. My sp01 tactical is the flattest shooting most accurate pistol I have ever shot.

Cz rules!!
Old October 19, 2019, 21:39   #8
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 65552
Quote:
Originally Posted by toys View Post
forgot...

i have some 1911s including a 80s ACE.

Love the platform. Feels great in my hands.

I also have some 2x Stack 1911s too. They are PO LDAs. love the concept and have one in 9mm.

To me all of my guns are toys. I do like some over the others, but what it comes down to is that i will buy/try whatever i want and if i dont like it, i may sell/trade it or just toss it in my safe for a later date.

If you can try a CZ you may or may not like it. The only way to know is to take one out for a test drive.
Platform?

36E7AFA0-7593-4973-B223-C1CF57E51360.jpeg
Old October 20, 2019, 15:38   #9
Near Sighted Sniper
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 536
I like the 97, I had 2 of them over the years, wish I would have kept both.
I'll buy another one day.

Anonymous
The FAL is not a "platform".
It is a lady-lookin' foreign made collection of sexy Belgian curves that intimidates the shit out of today's Pajama-boy males.

It's not an Assault Rifle, it a Sport Utility Rifle
Near Sighted Sniper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2019, 09:26   #10
Bug Tussell
Registered

FALaholic #: 2872
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCdnSoldierInTx View Post
I like the 97, but not enough (yet) to replace my 1911, although that's more to do with where I place my fun money than anything else, and the 1911 is paid for.

Another convert here as well.
Old October 25, 2019, 09:29   #11
Bug Tussell
Registered

FALaholic #: 2872
The 97 does have its' appeal to me as I like a hi-cap .45 with DA/SA. But I picked up a 10mm from Tangfolio that seems to have scratched that itch at least for a little while.

But all in all, I'm more interested in selling then buying these days.
Old October 25, 2019, 11:23   #12
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
I picked up Tanfo Witness in 10 mm along with the 45 conversion top end back when frustrated for not being able to locate a CZ 97 in stock anywhere. Added a 38 super kit as well with the intention of letting my Les Baer in that caliber go. I'm pleased as can be with the Tanfo set up, and since old age has me scaling down these days, the big CZ will be a wish unfulfilled. I still get the high cap feature along with DA/SA.
Uriah Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2019, 12:19   #13
T.C.
Registered

FALaholic #: 72745
The softest kicking .45 you'll ever shoot.
T.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2019, 20:30   #14
flejl
Registered

FALaholic #: 10776
I am a big CZ fan, but if you like the CZ97, take a look at the SAR K2 45 if you can still find one.

All of the benefits of the CZ97, but 14+1 capacity, so allot of fire power!

Another alternative is the Jericho 941 FS, only 10 rounds like the CZ, but a shorter barrel and slide so easier to use for CCW.

By the way, I am still kicking myself in the @$$ for not picking up a CZ97 back before people realized how good CZ pistols really are.
flejl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2019, 09:02   #15
Thundermaker
Registered

FALaholic #: 72520
I love my 97. It's ridiculously accurate. The Witness 45 mags work just fine in it at half the price of cz mags.
Thundermaker is offline   Reply With Quote