The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old March 09, 2019, 19:39   #1
klaus486
Registered

FALaholic #: 75880
Rock River Arms LAR-8

Thinking about buying a Rock River Arms LAR-8.

Basically an AR-10 that takes FAL magazines.

Only $699.99 Excellent condition.

Talk me out of it.....or into it!
klaus486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2019, 19:49   #2
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Rock River makes a decent AR-15, I canít imagine their AR-10 would be much different. Hard to argue with $699

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!Ē -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2019, 21:23   #3
AZ Deuce
Registered

FALaholic #: 40828
I have one VERY accurate, use Thermold or Inch FAL mags they're not reliable with metric mags no matter what the internet says. AZ

Life ain't fair, but it sure gets interesting sometimes!
AZ Deuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2019, 21:28   #4
klaus486
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Deuce View Post
I have one VERY accurate, use Thermold or Inch FAL mags they're not reliable with metric mags no matter what the internet says. AZ
Oh well thatís a 100% deal killer then! I have 50+ metric mags and ZERO inch or thermold. Bummer. Interesting. It comes with a metric mag...
Old March 09, 2019, 21:42   #5
alFALfa
Registered

FALaholic #: 290
I had a 2009-vintage gun that developed FTF and FTE issues after about 100 rd.

I found their customer service to be somewhat brusque. It took me expending another 100 rounds during several range trips and too many additional phone calls to get them to take it back to repair.

Towards the end of the diagnostic process, they concluded that all my FAL mags must be defective and I had to try a new RRA polymer mag (actually a crappy-looking Thermold FAL mag with "RRA" molded in it). Too much $$ later for a branded mag and another trip to the range... the rifle still didn't work and they finally agreed to take it back.

They replaced the mag catch and bolt hold open assembly with updated parts which seemed to fix it. And they sent it back with another (even crappier-looking) RRA mag (*yay*). By that time I was so turned off on this rifle that I got rid of it.

Part of the reason I bought it was that it took FAL mags, which I had plenty of. It came with a refinished Austrian FAL mag and the rifle functioned the same with every other new surplus FAL mag I tried in it. They told me that all surplus mags out there are all suspect, and the rifle is only guaranteed to function with their mag. If that's the case, why are they advertising that it works with FAL mags? They couldn't answer that one for me.

I'm happy with my RRA AR-15, but I'm crossing my fingers I never have a problem with it.
alFALfa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2019, 22:16   #6
Surly
Registered

FALaholic #: 3610
I had one of the Pre-RRA Bushmasters that everyone said the bolts were breaking in. I had about a case through it when I sold it. I put an adjustable gas tube in it. It was a 20' A2 configured rifle and a damned good shooter. I never had any mag problems with it. I kinda wish I hadn't sold it, but I like the transferable Uzi that it helped finance better.

An armed civilian is a citizen.
A disarmed civilian is a SUBJECT.

MCLMM

Former NRA Lifer
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2019, 22:29   #7
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
If you really want to do stuff with an AR-10, donít pick your ďplatformĒ solely on the basis that it uses FAL magazines!

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2019, 12:15   #8
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Deuce View Post
I have three of them, two A4s (flattops) and one A2 (with the integral carry handle).

The ones that I have were all shipped with new Israeli military mags. I have shot them with Israeli mags and Steyr mags and have never had any functioning problems. They are quite accurate rifles (all mine are 20inch ones), but don't think that they are lightweight...

The two disclaimers that I would add for anyone thinking of picking one up these days is that mine all date from the early days of production of these rifles (shit, I ordered one years before RRA finally shipped any) and I have only used new military mags, not old beat-up ones...

For what little it's worth...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2019, 12:50   #9
marcosfal
Registered

FALaholic #: 72291
I have one in the safe that an older friend had purchased a while back. He has had neck surgery so he has to take it easy on shooting for a while. He asked me to mount a scope on it and sight it in. It is an accurate rifle, even with the MEN surplus. (The German stuff with the scrubbed headstamp.) I am definitely not the best bench shooter by any means. Only two of my rifles have optics on them. It was shooting 2-3" for me and I had a couple of groups smaller than that. I know that isn't anything to brag about. I'm sure someone with more experience could get more out of it. I used a lead sled and rest. It settled down a bit after break-in. The groups didn't seem to open up much either, even after heating the barrel up with 10 shot groups. I started 10 shot groups after reading about it on here somewhere. I put a piece of tape on the top of the buttstock to help with the slop as well.
The barrel is 16", nicely finished inside and heavier than any of my FNs. It's kind of a mid weight. It cleans up very easily. I don't use brushes unless it's an old milsurp or totally abused bore. The only negatives that I found on the rifle were the cheap, sloppy adjustable buttstock (which doesn't help with shooting accurate), no staking on the castle nut, very little material moved on the gas key staking and an aluminum gas block. It doesn't have a sight on it so I guess it'll be fine. The function and handling of the rifle feels a little clunkier than the FNs to me but that's different for everyone. It did not like soft points at all. The feed ramps would deform the bullet tips pretty bad. There was only one malfunction out of about 200 rounds. It was a short stroke that occurred pretty early on. After that, everything functioned fine. It came with one magazine that was either new or refinished. I used all surplus mags that I knew were GTG. Israeli, Belgian and whatever the unmarked ones were. They all inserted securely with no problems. All of the controls worked well and the trigger was perfect for me. Single stage with no slop and light but not too light. I put moly paste on the contact points and it felt even better. I don't know what he paid for it but he's happy with it. I know this was long and not too specific but it may help you some.
I just realized that "FNs" is pretty vague. FALs are the rifles I'm referring to.

Last edited by marcosfal; March 10, 2019 at 12:55. Reason: Terminology
marcosfal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2019, 17:15   #10
klaus486
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
I have three of them, two A4s (flattops) and one A2 (with the integral carry handle).

The ones that I have were all shipped with new Israeli military mags. I have shot them with Israeli mags and Steyr mags and have never had any functioning problems. They are quite accurate rifles (all mine are 20inch ones), but don't think that they are lightweight...

The two disclaimers that I would add for anyone thinking of picking one up these days is that mine all date from the early days of production of these rifles (shit, I ordered one years before RRA finally shipped any) and I have only used new military mags, not old beat-up ones...

For what little it's worth...

Forrest
The one I am looking at is serial # ACM000XXX is that anywhere near your "early production" rifles?
Old March 10, 2019, 17:22   #11
klaus486
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
If you really want to do stuff with an AR-10, donít pick your ďplatformĒ solely on the basis that it uses FAL magazines!
I understand your point but at this time in my shooting life I am trying to simplify! Only have 4 calibers and all my rifles use the FAL mag or are bolt action with internal magazines. I do not want to add another magazine into my inventory
Old March 10, 2019, 19:35   #12
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Didn't you say your existing FAL mags are unsuitable?

Doesn't this mean you will be adding magazines anyway?

You know, you don't have to hoard tote-bins full of magazines for each rifle.

Three or four magazines are probably two or three magazines more than you really need. By the time you shoot something 40 times with a .308, if you need more firepower, you need something more substantial than more .308 magazines.

Old March 10, 2019, 19:57   #13
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Interesting WEG. How much you got in that rig excluding the vise? I got a Ssa-e trigger and a cheap sig scope. I donít care about irons.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2019, 20:04   #14
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Interesting WEG. How much you got in that rig excluding the vise? I got a Ssa-e trigger and a cheap sig scope. I donít care about irons.
Clearly not enough yet.

Old March 10, 2019, 21:07   #15
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Clearly not enough yet.

Ok, Looks like hookers and blow then.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.

Last edited by meltblown; March 10, 2019 at 21:17.
meltblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2019, 21:50   #16
klaus486
Registered

Quote:
Didn't you say your existing FAL mags are unsuitable?

Doesn't this mean you will be adding magazines anyway?

Three or four magazines are probably two or three magazines more than you really need. By the time you shoot something 40 times with a .308, if you need more firepower, you need something more substantial than more .308 magazines.
Well I was responding to other posts. Some pointed out the rifle liked Inch or Thermold. Some claimed fine performance with GI Belgian and/or Steyr mags.
Iíve got those. Would be cool if it works with what Iíve got. Comes with a metric mag...
Old March 10, 2019, 22:48   #17
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
A friend has one. Runs great with surplus FAL magazines.

"Put your thumb up, hit the bolt release, and quit phuking with God and Eugene"
4x401 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2019, 14:13   #18
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaus486 View Post
The one I am looking at is serial # ACM000XXX is that anywhere near your "early production" rifles?
The two A4s that I have are ACM0014xx and ACM0021xx, and the A2 is US1080xx...

For what it's worth...

Forrest
Old March 11, 2019, 14:14   #19
ftierson
Registered

Quote:

Well, shit...

Now you tell me...

Forrest
Old March 11, 2019, 14:52   #20
1911Ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17513
Quote:

Old March 11, 2019, 15:50   #21
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

87 cases of AK ammo.
That's before you even start pulling maintenance on all those magazines that are rusting in the basement.

When you don't even really like AK's.

But, it was a GOOD DEAL!

And I'll make "a profit" when I sell them online in onesies and twosies during the next panic. Such fun!