The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 1911 Files

Notices

Old March 04, 2019, 13:08   #1
Potshot
Registered

FALaholic #: 6398
22 conversion kit

Gents, any recommendations? Would like a threaded barrel with it...

Thanks!
Old March 04, 2019, 16:56   #2
toys
Registered

FALaholic #: 64100
there are several mfg out there....

Ciner
Marvel
Tactical Solutions
Advantage Arms

but the only one i know of that you can buy a treaded bbl is Marvel.

From what i understand is that you can do an internal thread with can adapter. but i personally have not done so.

there maybe more mfg out there but i havent bought any conversions in a while. The ones i have will vary with function. As you may know that Rf isnt the best type of cartridge for reliability.
toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 04, 2019, 18:42   #3
Bwana John
Registered

FALaholic #: 3810
My Ciener worked %100, and I have seen (pricey) threaded barrels for them on ebay

I never got the Colt Service Ace to better than 95% reliability.
Old March 05, 2019, 09:38   #4
Potshot
Registered

Are the Sig ones any good?
Old March 05, 2019, 14:16   #5
toys
Registered

FALaholic #: 64100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potshot View Post
dont know.

the only Sig conversion i have are for the P220 and the P226
toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 05, 2019, 22:08   #6
catmguy445
Registered

FALaholic #: 50311
I have two, a Colt Ace (which works fine if you clean it every couple hundred rounds) and an Advantage Arms. The Advantage Arms worked fine the first time out, but has been finicky ever since. Since I built it as a whim, I haven't been shooting it much. Probably should dig it out and see if I can get it to run consistently. I haven't shot the Ace in years. At least not as a .22. I converted it back to .45 with a Gold Cup top end. I call it my Silver Cup, cause it's only half Gold Cup.
Old March 05, 2019, 23:42   #7
skinnydash
Registered

FALaholic #: 79317
Have a Kimber kit that has been 99.9% reliable on a Kimber and a Norinco. Just have to use the right HV ammo or else it won't cycle properly. I believe most current kit makers recommend using HV ammo.
skinnydash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 07, 2019, 07:42   #8
Slaughter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potshot View Post
I have the Sig 22 conversion kit that I originally bought for my Sig 1911 RCS and after selling the gun to a friend, I now use it with my Springfield 1911.

I had to modify it for the Springfield since the Springfield is a Series 70 and the Sig 1911 and the 22 kit is for a series 80 and the firing pin block safety prevents it from firing in the Series 70. This is a very easy modification to remove firing pin block plunger from the kit - I mean you already have the safety on every 1911 so it won't be missed. If your 1911 is a Series 80, you're good to go. Pic is lifted from the 'net and shows the Series 80 firing pin safety. That red firing pin blocker gizmo can be removed from your Sig 22 kit if you have a Series 70 1911. Probably too much info but hey, it could be useful. It took me a wasted afternoon of NOT SHOOTING my Springfield before I figured it out.

The magazines are mostly common to all the 22 conversions. I bought some extras and I regret not buying a half dozen of the conversion kits when Sig was dumping them for about $180 (if I recall)

You can only shoot the HOT 22 LR rounds or it doesn't quite have the poop to cycle reliably. (it also specifically says so in the instructions) The change-over is a no-brainer too.

I recommend NOT inviting your buddies to the range with you the first time you shoot the 22 in your 1911. I did and got LAUGHED at and TOTALLY HUMILIATED because I flinched so much for the first couple rounds!

Last edited by Slaughter; March 07, 2019 at 08:31.
Slaughter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2019, 18:43   #9
Potshot
Registered

Totally get the s70 vs. S80 deltas. Looking for s70 type. Will be at Charlotte fun show this weekend a-hunting. Any other recommendations welcome!
Old April 11, 2019, 19:39   #10
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
I have the Kimber conversion on an old Crown City lower. Does not run very well. Think I need to try some HV rounds. I admit I was probably not running the best when I tried it. If I wanted something threaded I would just buy a new Ruger https://ruger.com/products/markIV2245Lite/models.html or S&W https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...hreaded-barrel and be done with it.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2019, 20:43   #11
Democrat1
Registered

FALaholic #: 9132
I have a Nelson conversion

I bought a Nelson conversion, with an extended threaded barrel, with irons. It is match quality, and easily mounts on probably any 1911 frame. I have it on a Springfield R.O. frame right now. Mine seems to like CCI SV. I don't know if it will shoot Match quality groups, but it shoots better than I can.

I bought a second barrel with mounts and a red dot, so I can convert quickly without having to re-sight in.

Reliability can be an issue, especially if your mag catch does not hold the magazine up high enough. My RO frame does not have that issue. Sometimes I use Nelson plastic mags, sometimes I use metal GSG mags.

The chief competitor for the Nelson is the Marvel, and both were designed by the same guy. The Nelson is a later design, and all of them stay open when the mag is empty. Some of the Marvels do not have this feature.
Democrat1 is offline   Reply With Quote