The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The M1 / M14 Files

Notices

Old January 29, 2020, 18:59   #1
PGT
Registered

FALaholic #: 80316
Beretta BM-59 LMG "Nigerian"

My first and only M-1/M-14. I just got in the brown plastic grip to swap out the wood one. I'll need to get some mags, sling and bayo next.

Any other suggestions on things to start hunting for?

Details; Springfield Armory Imported and PB made marked Gardone.

Last edited by PGT; January 29, 2020 at 20:10.
PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2020, 19:51   #2
Orlando8
Registered

FALaholic #: 38748
M14 ???
Orlando8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2020, 21:24   #3
raexcct2
Registered

FALaholic #: 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando8 View Post
M14 ???
I guess he’s a newby or didn’t know that most of us here are familiar with the BM59. We know it’s not an M14 but an offshoot of the Italians modifying their M1 Garands into a magazine fed weapon. I had the parts to convert my BM59 , built by Shuff’s, into the heavy barrel BM59 Nigerian model but wound up selling both to pay the bills.
raexcct2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 04, 2020, 10:50   #4
adam762
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 11334
Regardless, that’s beautiful. Thanks for the pic.
Old February 04, 2020, 11:45   #5
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
And I believe those were assembled at SA as well after being imported as parts.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!” -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2020, 00:15   #6
HD Bee
One of the Condemned
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 23751
Location: In a Texas Hill Country state of mind. SW of Weird.
Very nice rifle.
The motivation to get me to finish building mine.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter S. Thompson
HD Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2020, 13:07   #7
mp
Registered

FALaholic #: 654
Would like to see your wood to original plastic grip conversion. They are not identical and will require some ingenuity to swap over.
mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2020, 16:53   #8
PGT
Registered

We'll see. I need to grab some smaller sockets to clear the wood inside. My normal set won't work. I'm pretty used to fitting parts so should be no issues.

I've got five NOS mags coming....sling and bayonet up next. I do plan on shooting this, though sparingly.
Old February 05, 2020, 17:04   #9
Frenchkat
Registered

FALaholic #: 17396
Go over to Shuff’s Parking site “Battle Tested” for more info. Might be able to sell that wooden pistol grip.
Old February 05, 2020, 17:56   #10
mp
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGT View Post
We'll see. I need to grab some smaller sockets to clear the wood inside. My normal set won't work. I'm pretty used to fitting parts so should be no issues.

I've got five NOS mags coming....sling and bayonet up next. I do plan on shooting this, though sparingly.
Wood pistol grip is “male.” Plastic pistol grip is a “female.” You will need to create an adapter to take up the space so it won’t twist. Also the grip screw holes don’t line up. It’s completely doable, just not a bolt on and go affair.
Old February 05, 2020, 19:13   #11
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
The LATE 1970's -> early 1980's BM-59s were Mel Tappan's favorite .308 Battle Rifle available for the people back then. I used to see more of them at the gunshows around here but have not seen one in > 20 years. The last one I saw was in excellent to nearly un-used condition and was offered to me at $1500 , with (2) mags. I wanted FALs back then and had to pass on it.

The one you have there Brother PGT is an excellent representation of the species.

Jarhead

Last edited by Jarhead504; February 05, 2020 at 19:19.
Jarhead504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2020, 18:14   #12
CAR
Registered

FALaholic #: 1384
Very nice rifle sir. I've always been a fan of the BM-59s.
CAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2020, 20:46   #13
jagerschnapps1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 83396
That is one beautiful rifle and that stock..
I’m jealous.
jagerschnapps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2020, 23:45   #14
garandguy10
Registered

FALaholic #: 10840
Your serial number wouldn't start with the letter "X" would it?
garandguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2020, 08:22   #15
SPEEDGUNNER
Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 43933
Tell me about the significance of "X".
Old February 27, 2020, 21:32   #16
andresere
Master of Gunnery
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 6598
Quote:
My first and only M-1/M-14.
He's not wrong, it is an M1/M14 (emphasis on the '/'). Nice rifle!
Old March 17, 2020, 23:57   #17
garandguy10
Registered

FALaholic #: 10840
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDGUNNER View Post
Tell me about the significance of "X".

Well, the letter "X" is alleged to be present as a prefix to the serial number on most papered Select Fire BM59's manufactured by Springfield Armory Inc., and I believe Rock Island Arsenal as well.

It is also alleged that some Semi Auto Springfield Armory Inc. BM59's were also made with the an "X" prefix serial number.
garandguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 07, 2020, 18:55   #18
mikebaker1129
Registered

FALaholic #: 14581
The Nigerian model you have is fairly uncommon.
You will need to fab up a block as was mentioned by mp,but doable.

Socket for grip nut shoul be 10mm.
Is your barrel marked 1969?
mikebaker1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 07, 2020, 19:38   #19
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
I’ll open bidding at $1299.
Old April 07, 2020, 23:12   #20
mp
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebaker1129 View Post
The Nigerian model you have is fairly uncommon.
You will need to fab up a block as was mentioned by mp,but doable.

Socket for grip nut shoul be 10mm.
Is your barrel marked 1969?
Funny this just got bumped. Over this past weekend, I made a mold with play doh, got the necessary measurements, and dropped off a slab of aluminum and my crude drawings to my buddy with a mill. Should have the solution in a couple days. One step closer to my Nigerian clone. Last hurdle is Nigerian barrel specs to convert Garand barrel to Nigerian contour.
Old April 09, 2020, 09:52   #21
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET View Post
And I believe those were assembled at SA as well after being imported as parts.
sort of

The receivers were imported semi finished by the Reese family pre Hughes and were finished at SAI into select fire transferables mid 80s when they bought out Beretta's stock of 59 bits

By the 90s all the spares went to Reese Surplus Inc, one of the family owned businesses along with Nesard. I still have two Nigerian stocks, plastic grip, brand new from that era, recall I paid around a hundred bucks apiece on them.

Later when they sold out of the complete stocks they still had piles of Nigerian wood but no grips, piles of Alpini folder metal so the family started manufacturing wood grips for those stocks and new wood in both M1 Garand and M1A spec for the Alpini folders
what I'm saying is that's not the stock that rifle was shipped with, it's of a later era.
The muzzle device is one RSI listed as unknown contract, have maybe 4 tucked away somewhere. Recall those were six bucks in the 90s
different from Tricomps

Jarhead brought up how there used to be a few 59's around.
That's true, well before SAI back in the sixties they were being made up by National Ordinance and at least one other corp from rewelded Garand receivers. Stoeger also imported them from Beretta but they were few in number. about like Browning FALs
Not even seen a reweld in years at a show
When Tappan covered them in G&A they all dried up
The rewelds usually use M14 mags btw, basically magazine fed Tanker Garands
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 09, 2020, 10:26   #22
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

When Reese imported the semi-finished receivers, were they modified older SA receivers or Beretta manufactured receivers (or both?)

I’ve been under the impression that the only genuine Beretta pre-bans are the earlier Benet import (late-60s/early-70s) BM-62s. I never knew Stoeger brought any in, that’s interesting.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!” -C. Montgomery Burns
Old April 09, 2020, 10:58   #23
PGT
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp View Post
Funny this just got bumped. Over this past weekend, I made a mold with play doh, got the necessary measurements, and dropped off a slab of aluminum and my crude drawings to my buddy with a mill. Should have the solution in a couple days. One step closer to my Nigerian clone. Last hurdle is Nigerian barrel specs to convert Garand barrel to Nigerian contour.
For the grip insert? I’d love to see pics when you get it and possibly a second example if he’s willing.

Thanks all for the great info. I recently got a Berben import AR70 to go with this and its great to read the history. I also have a SAR48 Match / Israeli HB FAL to go with this BM59 that I traded for.
Old April 09, 2020, 11:07   #24
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
For the grip insert? I’d love to see pics when you get it and possibly a second example if he’s willing.

Thanks all for the great info. I recently got a Berben import AR70 to go with this and its great to read the history. I also have a SAR48 Match / Israeli HB FAL to go with this BM59 that I traded for.
I’ve had a few AR-70s and they’re slick rifles.

Old April 09, 2020, 13:08   #25
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET View Post
When Reese imported the semi-finished receivers, were they modified older SA receivers or Beretta manufactured receivers (or both?)

I’ve been under the impression that the only genuine Beretta pre-bans are the earlier Benet import (late-60s/early-70s) BM-62s. I never knew Stoeger brought any in, that’s interesting.
Stoeger imported them early on Val
you can find them listed in their old catalogs

Reese brought in semi finished forgings that were already Beretta heel marked but not finished out
Seem to recall ATF had a small stink over that around the passage of Hughes, they were on the Reese family over a ton of crap right on into the early 2000s when Nesard was raided over single cut M14 recievers DoD had sold as scrap...thank you floppy eared GW Bush for that one
he saved America and Apple Pie I guess

I was buying pretty heavy from Reese years ago
they were constantly in the shit with treasury as dogma changed
lot's of myth today

Guy up here has a Stoeger branded gun his dad ordered in decades ago so yeah all that happened but they are very few and far between
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 09, 2020, 14:04   #26
imacoonass01
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
Quote:
Originally Posted by raexcct2 View Post
I guess he’s a newby or didn’t know that most of us here are familiar with the BM59. We know it’s not an M14 but an offshoot of the Italians modifying their M1 Garands into a magazine fed weapon. I had the parts to convert my BM59 , built by Shuff’s, into the heavy barrel BM59 Nigerian model but wound up selling both to pay the bills.

Bills suck.
Old April 30, 2020, 20:22   #27
bigstick61
Registered

FALaholic #: 45299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead504 View Post
The LATE 1970's -> early 1980's BM-59s were Mel Tappan's favorite .308 Battle Rifle available for the people back then. I used to see more of them at the gunshows around here but have not seen one in > 20 years. The last one I saw was in excellent to nearly un-used condition and was offered to me at $1500 , with (2) mags. I wanted FALs back then and had to pass on it.

The one you have there Brother PGT is an excellent representation of the species.

Jarhead
In one of Tappan's books (might have been "Survival Guns") Jeff Cooper states that his choice of combat rifle was his BM-59. The only BM-59 I've seen that was owned by Cooper, though, was a Golden State Arms type, which used rewelded Garand receivers and I think Garand barrel stubs with Springfield barrels welded together, and which were done in the "Tanker Garand" style. When the picture was taken, the charger guide had been removed and it had clearly been drilled and tapped for some type of optic mount (four holes evenly spaced on the left side between the front of the receiver and the bolt catch lever). Some of his later writings seem to favor his personal HK91, though.
bigstick61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2020, 20:33   #28
PGT
Registered

The bipod that's mounted is 12" but the divots in the wood indicate a proper length would be longer. Any suggestions on how hard a longer one is to find? I think I measured it at 15" but will have to double-check that.

spare grip was mounted using the delrin insert (thanks to Matt aka "mp" for the hookup...made it simple)

took a little bit of modifying to get it to sit flush but delrin is an easy material to work with so no big deal
Old May 01, 2020, 00:09   #29
bigstick61
Registered

The squad auto versions usually used a longer, heavier-duty bipod. Not sure exactly how much longer, but enough to allow the gun to sit 15mm higher above the ground with the bipod deployed.

Also, the recesses are cut at the same spot as on standard BM-59 stocks. The gas system and barrel are both longer on that version, so the standard bipod isn't long enough to reach anymore, since it attaches to the gas cylinder, which now sits further forward.
Old May 01, 2020, 06:17   #30
Douglas Wozny
Registered

FALaholic #: 4255
Cannot be sure from the picture but I think you have the wrong winter trigger and trigger for a pistol grip stock. The proper trigger and winter trigger for a pistol grip stock will be marker with a "TA". See here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIGGER-BM5...wAAOSwK9ZcQtAO

You may want to checkout these forums where the BM59 experts hangout: http://www.machinegunboards.com/foru...hp?showforum=7
https://forum.shuffsparkerizing.com/...variants-Forum
Necat omnes! Deus suos agnoscet.
The application of the proper amount of high explosives can solve any problem.

Last edited by Douglas Wozny; May 01, 2020 at 07:20.
Douglas Wozny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2020, 09:59   #31
PGT
Registered

Anybody know proper lengths? Paratrooper, Alpini, Nigerian, etc?

Old May 02, 2020, 11:58   #32
mp
Registered

I have some spare Alpini/Nigerian triggers for the pistol grip stocks. Accidentally double ordered from Italy.
Old May 02, 2020, 16:52   #33
bigstick61
Registered

Quote:
Anybody know proper lengths? Paratrooper, Alpini, Nigerian, etc?

According to Beretta, the lengths are as follows:

Standard/ITAL: 43.11"

Alpini: 43.7" full length; 33.66" folded length

Paracadutisti: 48.22" full length; 34.18" folded length; 28.54" folded length with tricompensator removed

MkIV/Automatic Rifle: 44.48"

MkI: 40.5"

The early Tanker-style ones without some of the muzzle devices of various lengths that Beretta made for these versions should be about 37" long.

BM-62 and BM-69 should be around 39", give or take a little.

BM-59E and BM-59SL should be roughly couple of inches longer than a Garand, or a 1/2" shorter without the compensator.

Not sure what the early squad automatic versions were, lengthwise.

BM-62, BM-69, the early Tanker style, and the MkI should all have 17.4" barrels. The U.S. tanker-style clones made by Golden State Arms, Federal Ordnance, and National Ordnance I think used 18" barrels.

The Paracadutisti has an 18.41" barrel.

The ITAL and Alpini versions have a 19.32" barrel.

MkIV/later squad auto has a 20.85" barrel. Not sure about the early versions.

I don't recall if any were made to be standard rifles, but with the pistol-gripped fixed stock (wouldn't surprise me if some were, though). Not sure if the overall length differs as a consequence, but the barrel length would be the same, obviously.
Old May 02, 2020, 21:18   #34
PGT
Registered

Thanks but specifically meant the bipod lengths
Old May 02, 2020, 23:00   #35
bigstick61
Registered

Quote:
Thanks but specifically meant the bipod lengths
Lengths are the same for all except for the squad auto versions. Those, I presume, are longer by about the same difference between the squad auto barrel length and the standard barrel length, which is 1.53" (at least on the Mk IV; earlier variants had different bipods, IIRC), perhaps a bit more since I think the bipods are stowed at a slight angle.