Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AK Files

Notices

Old March 25, 2020, 17:22   #1
Near Sighted Sniper
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 536
Which red dots are you guys running???

I’ve pretty much made my mind up to buy one of the RS Regulate mounts for my WASR but there are so many good choices out there for red dot scopes that I just don’t know what to buy. I am wanting to know what you guys run on your AK’s. I have Aimpoints, 1 ACOG, a couple of primary arms red dots & a Sig Romeo 4 that I really like but they discontinued the model I have. So which one would you recommend??? Anyone here have experience with the Vortex lineup?
TIA, Mick

Anonymous
The FAL is not a "platform".
It is a lady-lookin' foreign made collection of sexy Belgian curves that intimidates the shit out of today's Pajama-boy males.

It's not an Assault Rifle, it a Sport Utility Rifle.
Near Sighted Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2020, 18:08   #2
FNfreak
Registered

FALaholic #: 1081
I like the EOtech for the extremely large field of view. I have a 5.45 Krink NFA registered short barreled rifle I use it on. I tried a Sig Romeo 5 and a older Aimpoint...I keep going back to the EOTech. To me, using the others feel like I'm looking through a toilet paper roll, with the EOTech, I feel like like I'm looking through an open window.

I want to try one of the Trijicon RMR sights but cash flow went to hell in a hand basket the last few weeks....
FNfreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2020, 19:17   #3
plinker
Registered

FALaholic #: 8679
An Ultimak mount with a Aimpoint pro works very slick. An Eotech can also work, but the Aimpoint is a bit lower and feels more securely mounted.

A shorter Eotech then the basic AA model would be an improvement with the Ultimak mount as the length can be a concern with access to the on/off buttons. I did like the reticle and square lens of the Eotech a bit better the basic dot the Aimpoint has. Not that big a deal though.
plinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2020, 06:45   #4
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
I have dots from just about everybody, cheap to kinda pricey. Currently the only dot I have on an AK is an Aimpoint on an Ultimak mount on a converted Saiga 5.45. I have ran it in a few 2-gun matches and like it a lot. My flat out favorite dot is the Trijicon MRO however. I have one on a couple of ARs and like it better than any other dot sight. Mine are red but I want to try one of their green dots someday. I have a couple of different Vortex dots and like them fine. The Spark on an AR and one that’s model escapes me now on my KelTec RDB. It is the one that has an etched reticle so you still have an aiming point if the battery dies. I have had one of the low end Primary Arms dots die, don’t know why so it is hard for me to recommend them although I have others from them that are still working fine. I recently bought a green Holosun that had issues shutting off unexpectedly. Holosun made it right though but I would not trust one, yet. To sum, I think the best value for quality is the MRO. But in your circumstance I might put on the higher end Primary Arms dot on your RS mount, assuming it is Aimpoint base compatible.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2020, 19:47   #5
Near Sighted Sniper
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 536
Thanks guys, I'm leaning towards an Eotech but the MRO is worth considering.
Worse case, I buy either of the above scopes, don't like it on the AK but it works on one of my AR's. Gonna watch some YouTube vids. Decisions, decisions...

Anonymous
The FAL is not a "platform".
It is a lady-lookin' foreign made collection of sexy Belgian curves that intimidates the shit out of today's Pajama-boy males.

It's not an Assault Rifle, it a Sport Utility Rifle.
Near Sighted Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote