Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AUG Files

Notices

Old May 26, 2020, 16:44   #1
Canuckienns
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 65472
MSAR is always far lower

Is there a big reason that these AUG's fetch way less money than the new Steyr built ones.
Canuckienns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2020, 17:37   #2
84SS
Registered

FALaholic #: 7640
Msar

Might be the lack of spare parts. My understanding is these were reverse engineered. There are no spare parts available. Steyr parts reportedly do not fit. They had 4 generations in the short production life. Some Microtech rifles would accept and feed from Steyr mags, but that was the exception. The Gen 4 stocked rifles took standard STANAG magazines. M16. They even had problems with the optics. Pete at PJS can elaborate more.
84SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2020, 17:44   #3
1feral1
RAEME Fitter-Armourer
Contributor

FALaholic #: 6060
Because they are 'AUG' like, and not true AUGs. They are also no longer manufactured, while AUGs are, and there is easy access for spare parts and upgrades.

Although Steyr mags will fit in an MSAR, the MSAR mags require a slight mod to work in an AUG, also parts/components are not interchangeable between the two, I.E. barrels.

If you google search some queries, they can provide more info.

Hope this info helps.
Old May 28, 2020, 06:50   #4
Canuckienns
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 65472
I had three Augs in another country and I loved them. I did very well in service matches. I had the special receiver and I mounted an Elcan. Sold them all before I moved to the USA.
I suspected there are something funny about the MSAR. Thanks for the info.
Canuckienns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2020, 09:14   #5
Doug_262
Registered

FALaholic #: 63845
My msar stg-556 had a bad factory optic that they would not look at or replace. Something about not being able to work on those anymore...
Final straw was that I noticed the bolt & bolt sleeve was damaging & peening the trunnion. Read on ar15.com that it was a common problem & the factory “fix” was to only just machine/grind the damage off.

Ar15.com bullpup section had a ton of info & posts about tons of problems.
Search “msar aug problems” and majority of posts are from the 2008-2014 timeline.

Stay away. Parts were intentionally redimensioned so they would not be compatible with the scores of AUG parts & was to make you dependent on microtech for everything.
Doug_262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2020, 13:23   #6
1feral1
RAEME Fitter-Armourer
Contributor

FALaholic #: 6060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckienns View Post
I had three Augs in another country and I loved them. I did very well in service matches. I had the special receiver and I mounted an Elcan. Sold them all before I moved to the USA.
I suspected there are something funny about the MSAR. Thanks for the info.
I too left Canada, but by way of Australia, ending up in the US for good 6 yrs back, and ya, now live'n the dream in a pro-gun state. I sold off my ' bad guns' before I left 25 yrs ago, but imported the other 'milsurps' and commercials with sentimental value I had in LTS from Canada. A bit of bureaucratic nightmare, but got it done a few years ago.

I bought an AUG here for nostalgia, as I carried one for 18 yrs in Australia, and a couple other shithole countries in the Middle East they sent me to.

Hope you kept your Elcans
Old May 28, 2020, 18:17   #7
Vaughn L. Allen
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 26532
It's because they are substandard clones of the AUG. If you want an AUG, you're going to have to buy an AUG... Not an inferior rifle that resembles one!

(To such heights of evil are men driven by religion)
Vaughn L. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 01, 2020, 17:52   #8
ddbtoth
Registered

FALaholic #: 3495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_262 View Post
My msar stg-556 had a bad factory optic that they would not look at or replace. Something about not being able to work on those anymore...
Final straw was that I noticed the bolt & bolt sleeve was damaging & peening the trunnion. Read on ar15.com that it was a common problem & the factory “fix” was to only just machine/grind the damage off.

Ar15.com bullpup section had a ton of info & posts about tons of problems.
Search “msar aug problems” and majority of posts are from the 2008-2014 timeline.

Stay away. Parts were intentionally redimensioned so they would not be compatible with the scores of AUG parts & was to make you dependent on microtech for everything.
And the plastic mag catch, that bends rather than releasing the mag. Promoted Pawn has a reinforced resin part that I’m going try. Also bought the rail replacement back then, to swap out the jacked up optic, so I can still use functional optic on it. Tony Mariphone (Microtech asshole owner) really screwed over a lot of people. I’m glad he lost his gun business, he should stick to his overpriced, fragile knives that suck balls.
ddbtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 05, 2020, 11:31   #9
hansellhd
Registered

FALaholic #: 31152
FYI I own a MSAR runs fine, never gave me a problem. Guess I got a good one.

9a88b6cf-24b6-41fb-b8dd-b49137575011_zpseczahnix
Old June 07, 2020, 11:44   #10
Jen
Administrator

FALaholic #: 105
At a time when the Steyr Aug was impossible to find along with the lack of availability of any decent bullpup type rifle, the MSAR was a neat alternative. My biggest complaint was the proprietary 3-pin driver needed to do any armorer level disassembly work on the rifle. MSAR did at one point replace the plastic mag catch that was bending under warranty.

IIRC MSAR had multiple issues unrelated to the gun itself, that caused production delays etc.. I believe this included moving their production facility to another state, after taking business development grant money from the prior state which caused some very serious financial / legal issues for the company.

You don't know me, son. So let me explain this to you once: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 07, 2020, 15:26   #11
ddbtoth
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
At a time when the Steyr Aug was impossible to find along with the lack of availability of any decent bullpup type rifle, the MSAR was a neat alternative. My biggest complaint was the proprietary 3-pin driver needed to do any armorer level disassembly work on the rifle. MSAR did at one point replace the plastic mag catch that was bending under warranty.

IIRC MSAR had multiple issues unrelated to the gun itself, that caused production delays etc.. I believe this included moving their production facility to another state, after taking business development grant money from the prior state which caused some very serious financial / legal issues for the company.
I actually found the 3 pin driver at BladeHQ, along with a resin reinforced mag catch (Promoted Pawn), just need to swap it out. I was really wanting 9mm MCS they were touting, but vaporware. But yeah, Steyr just murdered MSAR when they came back to the US.
Old June 08, 2020, 00:42   #12
darkest2000
Registered

FALaholic #: 13475
Because one is real and one is a copy.
darkest2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 09, 2020, 13:10   #13
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
I thought there was another US company (Vltor?) which made a receiver and then Steyr liked it and made that the official receiver for the US market.
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 09, 2020, 15:08   #14
ddbtoth
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
I thought there was another US company (Vltor?) which made a receiver and then Steyr liked it and made that the official receiver for the US market.
Thought that Was Saber Industries, who also got into trouble with the ATF because of off the book machine guns?
Old June 10, 2020, 08:56   #15
partisan50
Registered

FALaholic #: 1222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughn L. Allen View Post
It's because they are substandard clones of the AUG. If you want an AUG, you're going to have to buy an AUG... Not an inferior rifle that resembles one!
Yep about eight to ten years ago a local shop sold the MSAR clones and they had lots of issues and many were sent back. If you want an AUG buy a real one.
partisan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2020, 19:24   #16
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddbtoth View Post
Thought that Was Saber Industries, who also got into trouble with the ATF because of off the book machine guns?
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/.../vltor-aug-a3/

I do like the cons in the article:

1. "Threaded some oddball metric thread." i.e. Not AR
2. "Oddball magazines." i.e. not AR
3. "Can dig into your hand if you are not careful." i.e. Not follow AR manual of arms, therefore, impossible to use.

Last edited by raubvogel; July 03, 2020 at 07:47.
Old June 17, 2020, 13:44   #17
PASHOOTER
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20032
A lot of parts are interchangeable but not the important ones like barrel. If you plan to buy a MSAR shoot it first. I got lucky the one I got had all the updates including the metal mag release and a bunch of hard to get parts.. Mine shoots and works great but without a source for barrels I don't shoot it much. I got a real good buy but I will not buy another. If you want AUG buy a AUG unless you just want it to collect Bullpup rifles.
actions of a few lunatics”
PASHOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2020, 22:40   #18
Seven Click's Up
Registered

FALaholic #: 17361
I bought a NIB Steyr USR years ago. It's a keeper.
I've read only 1500 were imported. I paid way, way too much for it.
I like that it has the heavy barrel. It's accurate, but I don't have an AUG to compare it to.
Seven Click's Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2020, 10:22   #19
JonathanW
Registered

FALaholic #: 74318
Bought both (Sold two Msars, kept the one Steyr) and Steyr wins every time
JonathanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 03, 2020, 07:40   #20
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

How different are the barrels where it really counts, the locking tabs?
Old July 03, 2020, 22:06   #21
Vaughn L. Allen
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 26532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven Click's Up View Post
I bought a NIB Steyr USR years ago. It's a keeper.
I've read only 1500 were imported. I paid way, way too much for it.
I like that it has the heavy barrel. It's accurate, but I don't have an AUG to compare it to.
I own a USR and it's a great rifle. I also like the Australian heavy barrel.

(To such heights of evil are men driven by religion)
Vaughn L. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote