Go Back   The FAL Files > To Keep and Bear Arms > Competitive Shooting

Notices

Old May 08, 2019, 05:59   #1
TedKennedy
Registered

FALaholic #: 77344
Oklahoma Run N Gun

Pawnee, Oklahoma - July 13, 2019

I bet it's hot on run day. Tickets on sale.
There will be BBQ, Boudin, and lots of sweat.
Sound like fun?

TedKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 08, 2019, 12:39   #2
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
Roll Call:

Seen a lot of talk in other threads about preparations n' stuff and some talk on the FaceSpace. Who will be attending this weekend?

...and please mention to Kotengu (by shaming him) he needs to be there!!!!
Old July 08, 2019, 14:18   #3
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
I am trying to make it. Will know for sure tues. or wed. Can anyone tell me what direction you are shooting when shooting the 500 yard target at Pawnee?
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 08, 2019, 16:36   #4
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
...Can anyone tell me what direction you are shooting when shooting the 500 yard target at Pawnee?
Toward the targets, generally speaking...
Old July 08, 2019, 21:32   #5
okiefarmer
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 3248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post
Toward the targets, generally speaking...
Bwahaaaa

Had I not obligated myself, pickup, and trailer to my son that Saturday to help him clean some shit out of his garage and attic, I would love to come meet and shoot with some of you yahoos. I would like to keep up with this event and make a concerted effort to start attending. Retired from farming now, still keep busy with grandkids and all the other happy horseshit that goes with retirement, I want to plan on making this more often. I may not do the “run” part with two fake hips and a bionic knee, but I can still shoot and drink with the best of them.

Okie out
Old July 08, 2019, 22:29   #6
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post
...and please mention to Kotengu (by shaming him) he needs to be there!!!!
Your powers are impressive, sir! Just remember, with great power comes great responsibility.
Old July 09, 2019, 06:33   #7
TedKennedy
Registered

Got bad news, folks....my boudin hookup fell through - we'll still have some great BBQ, probably hotlinks and sausage. Weather is supposed to be decent.
Old July 11, 2019, 07:33   #8
SMS
Registered

FALaholic #: 79964
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedKennedy View Post
Got bad news, folks....my boudin hookup fell through - we'll still have some great BBQ, probably hotlinks and sausage. Weather is supposed to be decent.
Well dammit.

92 degrees with a heat index of hot jello on Saturday....but it won't be snowing so that is "decent" for you Al.
SMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2019, 10:01   #9
Incognito
Registered

Got my ticket...I would much prefer snow over the heat.
Old July 11, 2019, 10:02   #10
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
Tell those Spearhead Transmission clowns to get back to work. Last podcast was in March. Hard to MAGA without the proper infotainment propaganda broadcasting at regular intervals. I expect at least an hour of crying and whining about how hot it was and how poorly they shot, only finishing 3rd & 5th....

I’m saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about what’s enough. And for God’s sake, think about who you are.” - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2019, 13:38   #11
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
Your powers are impressive, sir! Just remember, with great power comes great responsibility.
That is pure gold.

And good job, Nuttz!! You called it a LONG time ago...
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2019, 18:36   #12
Incognito
Registered

Just got back home, what a great event. I had a blast.

After taking inventory I see that I expended 82 rounds or rifle ammunition and 47 rounds of pistol ammunition on the 10K course. I came home with 68 rounds of rifle ammunition and 27 rounds of pistol ammunition. I considered cutting back how much I was going to carry and doubtless the weight reduction would have improved my time but there is just something EXTREMELY satisfying knowing that you have enough ammunition for the task at hand. Next time I will over stock on ammunition again.

Interesting (at least to me) observation: I only saw 4 rifles there that were not AR15s. And while it was harder to identify holstered pistols I would guess that over half of the pistols were Glocks. Not a lot of diversity anymore.

Last edited by Incognito; July 13, 2019 at 19:39.
Old July 14, 2019, 09:00   #13
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
Jimmy gave me blisters.
Old July 14, 2019, 09:03   #14
TedKennedy
Registered

Quote:

Interesting (at least to me) observation: I only saw 4 rifles there that were not AR15s. And while it was harder to identify holstered pistols I would guess that over half of the pistols were Glocks. Not a lot of diversity anymore.
Glad you came to the run! I get what you say about the ARs. Had some AR running hipster hand me some "coffee" full of creamer and flavoring out there, too. Just more of the wussification of America, I guess.

(I love ya, Jimmy)
Old July 14, 2019, 12:55   #15
SMS
Registered

Quote:
Just got back home, what a great event. I had a blast.

Pretty accurate, although I'm not sure how much diversity there ever was LOL.

After ROing Stage 2 for a good chunk of RO day and all day on Saturday, we saw at a minimum, a M1 Garand, an M1 Carbine, a PTR type, a SCAR, a mini-14, at least one bolt action and a couple of Tavors. We also saw all manner of handguns with more and more optics making an appearance.

The surprising thing to me was the large number of shooters that had no idea how to load at least one of two of the most ubiquitous pump action shotguns in America from the bolt open position...
Old July 14, 2019, 13:06   #16
Incognito
Registered

I had to leave early so I have no idea if my run was good, bad, or ugly. When do they post the results?
Old July 14, 2019, 13:12   #17
Incognito
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS View Post
Pretty accurate, although I'm not sure how much diversity there ever was LOL.

After ROing Stage 2 for a good chunk of RO day and all day on Saturday, we saw at a minimum, a M1 Garand, an M1 Carbine, a PTR type, a SCAR, a mini-14, at least one bolt action and a couple of Tavors. We also saw all manner of handguns with more and more optics making an appearance.
So in two days you saw twice as many non-ARs as I did in one day. I'm assuming there were about 200 total runner? Eight rifles out of 200; that would put it at about 96% ARs. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that; but I am thinking it

I have been thinking about trying it with my Swiss K31 sometime.
Old July 14, 2019, 13:18   #18
SMS
Registered

Quote:
So in two days you saw twice as many non-ARs as I did in one day. I'm assuming there were about 200 total runner? Eight rifles out of 200; that would put it at about 96% ARs. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that; but I am thinking it

I have been thinking about trying it with my Swiss K31 sometime.
ARs are the modern day musket and they've always been dominant at these events. Now, when Al and Daniel host a special category like Garand, Chicom, and military bolt action, like they have in the past, you'll see all kinds of cool stuff show up!
Old July 14, 2019, 13:44   #19
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
Like any sport, people who want to be the most competitive within the confines of the rules are always going to gravitate to the most efficient and effective gear to meet the objectives.

For most of these R&Gs it seems the AR-15 does that best.

Now, let's say for fun, one of the stages you had to shoot through a stack of cinder blocks to hit the designated target. The .223 cal guys would suffer and the .30 cal guys would probably do better, right?

Tak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2019, 13:59   #20
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedKennedy View Post
Glad you came to the run! I get what you say about the ARs. Had some AR running hipster hand me some "coffee" full of creamer and flavoring out there, too. Just more of the wussification of America, I guess.

(I love ya, Jimmy)
If he drove out in his "roughing in the country" get up, the coffee was probably some K cup special blend made with his Keurig.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2019, 06:16   #21
TedKennedy
Registered

Quote:
I had to leave early so I have no idea if my run was good, bad, or ugly. When do they post the results?
Results are up at the okrunngun website.
Old July 15, 2019, 08:09   #22
Incognito
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Like any sport, people who want to be the most competitive within the confines of the rules are always going to gravitate to the most efficient and effective gear to meet the objectives.

For most of these R&Gs it seems the AR-15 does that best.

Now, let's say for fun, one of the stages you had to shoot through a stack of cinder blocks to hit the designated target. The .223 cal guys would suffer and the .30 cal guys would probably do better, right?

I agree, the AR is actually a fantastic sporting rifle and is very well suited to most competitions. I just can't stand them
Old August 28, 2019, 12:53   #23
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Contributor

My Video AAR:

Link if embedded video does not work in your browser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsf6O8uvhuc