The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Bolt Action Files

Notices

Old June 29, 2019, 17:48   #1
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
308 Ruger Boat Paddle

Picked up a used 308 Stainless Ruger 77 MkII with the boat paddle Zytel stock for $500.

Came with an old Weaver Micro-Trac 3x9 scope but I'll likely install a new Weaver Grand Slam 2x8 scope on it.
nvcdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2019, 19:42   #2
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
My 270 shoots amazingly well. I actually bought it to take to South Africa for a hunt and sell it there to a friend, but after shooting several 1/2 inch groups sighting it in, I bought another and kept this one..
hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2019, 21:29   #3
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
I saw a ruger in 270 that the owner had stupidly fired a 308 in. Did not hurt the rifle.
0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2019, 21:36   #4
OLDMANPBK
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978
Now you need to find yourself a boat paddle 77/22.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?"
-Patrick Henry-

Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.

If you ask the government for a permit, you are admitting that you don't have a right.
OLDMANPBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2019, 09:33   #5
nvcdl
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDMANPBK View Post
Now you need to find yourself a boat paddle 77/22.

True - I have a Stainless All Weather 77/22 in 22lr but it has a laminated stock.
Old June 30, 2019, 19:41   #6
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
That is my western Oregon hunting rifle, the rainy side. Cut the barrel to just legal and crowned it. Luepold 6x on it. It's been a great rifle and 308 a good caliber. I wish it had better sling mounts but I can get by.
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 03, 2019, 09:56   #7
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
Went looking for one of those in .223 a few years back. Never did find what I was looking for at a price I was willing to pay. I've always liked the look of that stock. Let us know how she shoots.

For what it is worth, I'd save for a few months then replace that Weaver with a Leupold 2-7 or 3-9.
Old July 03, 2019, 15:51   #8
nvcdl
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
Went looking for one of those in .223 a few years back. Never did find what I was looking for at a price I was willing to pay. I've always liked the look of that stock. Let us know how she shoots.

For what it is worth, I'd save for a few months then replace that Weaver with a Leupold 2-7 or 3-9.
Already installed a 2x8 Weaver Grand Slam - nice made in japan glass.
Old July 03, 2019, 21:24   #9
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvcdl View Post
Already installed a 2x8 Weaver Grand Slam - nice made in japan glass.
Well,make sure we get a range report. Congrats on a good score.
Old July 03, 2019, 21:45   #10
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Those boat-paddle 77s have long had a cult following among hunters.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop! -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 04, 2019, 09:08   #11
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
I bought mine when they first came out. Around here it rains like hell during hunting season so stainless steel sure made it easier to clean up. I say clean up because unless you road hunt the brush is really thick and most of the ground steep. Even if you kill something in a logged off area it's a muddy adventure to get your kill brought in.

Rifle is light weight and like I said I cut mine short to get through the heavy brush and not get hung up. I won't ever sell mine.
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2019, 19:24   #12
nvcdl
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
Well,make sure we get a range report. Congrats on a good score.
Took it out today to sight it in for deer season.

Intended to use Federal 150 gr softpoints but they shot so poorly out of the rifle I suspected I might have a defective scope.

Luckily I had some 180 softpoint ammo made for FNM that I had purchased years ago as it was dirtcheap at the time. This stuff kicked a lot more but I was able to get a good 1" 3 shot group with it. Didn't shoot any 10 round groups becuase I didn't feel like beating up my shoulder.
Old November 06, 2019, 15:31   #13
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
First thing I do with a boat paddle Ruger is pull the stock and bed action in something functional, comfortable and attractive. If had a canoe would never be short paddles to get around my part of the lake. They are fugly and uncomfortable. Last Ruger turn bolt I purchased was a 25-06 in a boat paddle stock. Have a M77 in beautiful factory wood stock also in 25-06 that even my smith was impressed with how attractive the wood was.

Have a fetish for 25-06 rifles that goes back to long before all the hotrod 7mm wildcats gone mainstream and 6.5s, etc. At one time it was the most efficient do all cartridge could buy in factory rifles. Have three Remington 700s (one is action only as all rest went in spare parts bin) along with a pair of Winchester M70s in 25-06 plus a few other higher end rifles left in factory trim. That said all Rugers and Remington's have to be fixed before I call them usable. A few I scoped and shot a few groups with before taking to smith now I dont pas go, don't collect $200 but even take NIB 700's, post 64 Winchester's and Rugers to the smith before take them out of the box.

My pair of Rugers after smith got after them with an air gauged heavy varmint profile tube on the M77 and a medium profile single point cut rifling barrel on the former boat paddle in a laminated wood stock found on clearance at either Boyd's or Stocky's both shoot stunning out to 600 yards. Wish someone in the precision bullet business would fall in love with quarter bores and get us freaks a nice selection of high BC projectiles so able to wring all the potential possible out of 25-06.

My first serious foray into swaging was to try this at home but it's hard to develop a projectile in the Berger VLD or Sierra Match King with a basic swaging setup and not felt the desire to go big and drop $10,000+ on a hydraulic bullet press with all the other accessories to mash 1,000 yard consistent projectiles. I like Ruger boat paddle rifles as their narrow rear butt causes many to.sell off before put a full box of ammo down range at a bargain not knowing a stock swap properly bedded would make it not only comfortable to shoot but also attractive to look at.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote