Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition

Notices

Old October 13, 2019, 08:58   #1
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
100gr 223 Bullets

Looking for a source for plated or jacketed 100 to 125 gr 223 dia bullets.

Semi flat nose that will cycle in an AR would be ok too.

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2019, 13:39   #2
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
By cycle do you mean just locking the bolt back
after firing? Because no bullet that big will fit in an
AR mag.

Good luck.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2019, 14:10   #3
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan Raider View Post
AR mag.

Good luck.
You put the excess bullet in the case......I’m using 220gr 308 bullets in Steel Case 7.62x39 for subsonics and they work fine. Right at standard OAL....the extra bullet takes up some case capacity as well with the reduced load.

So to answer your question it’s more about feeding than locking the bolt back.
I worked out the load for the 7.62x39 and ran it in a FA AK...cycled perfectly.
You cant use round nose anything in an AK.....

Old October 13, 2019, 14:45   #4
imacoonass01
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
Maybe these:

http://outlawstatebullets.com/12.html
Old October 13, 2019, 14:55   #5
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan Raider View Post
AR mag.

Good luck.
Well....it depends on what one is willing to attempt..

I heard of some guys that developed a very nice load for 9mm pistols using 180 grain bullets...

jus' sayin..

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2019, 16:41   #6
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacoonass01 View Post
I saw those and have known about them for some time...good job finding them.
It would be hard to move these with 45 cent bullets.....I have a client that needs some development help for a suppressor business......Barnes makes a 95 gr bullet.....probably in the same price range though.

Man if Berry’s would listen more often and sooner....everyone’s waiting for these
and maybe even a 125gr....

They are killing it with the 308/300 BO 30 cals in 185, 200 and 220 gr plated spires....

Old October 13, 2019, 17:09   #7
Right Side Up
Registered

FALaholic #: 43
Two of the mods on Arfcom loaded 100's in a 5.56 a long time ago. I made an aluminum mold for them to pour their ballistic gel into to test that bullet. Don't remember where they got the bullets, but the bullet was seated shallow in the normal fashion, then inverted (base up) to finish seating.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2019, 17:30   #8
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
Two of the mods on Arfcom loaded 100's in a 5.56 a long time ago. I made an aluminum mold for them to pour their ballistic gel into to test that bullet. Don't remember where they got the bullets, but the bullet was seated shallow in the normal fashion, then inverted (base up) to finish seating.
So the deal with this product and 308 subs for this client is that it’s all testing
their suppressors and letting their customers try them out. So function is paramount vs terminal ballistics. The 220 gr plated bullets should work well in the
308 with 5744 powder.....just have to work it out so it cycles the rifle. Bolt guns
are no brainers....

Old October 13, 2019, 19:48   #9
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2barearms View Post
Looking for a source for plated or jacketed 100 to 125 gr 223 dia bullets.

Semi flat nose that will cycle in an AR would be ok too.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2019, 20:52   #10
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
You don’t get out much......

Old October 14, 2019, 08:58   #11
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Corbin can hook you up with the swaging dies to make almost any projectile you may need. They even have a specialized rebated boat tail open tip subsonic design and sell dies in 17, 204, 224, 6mm, 6.5mm, 30 caliber and up to 458 caliber. If have issues with expansion add their jacket serrator die and even the slowest jacketed projectiles will expand nicely. Sometime you just have to make what you need.

http://www.corbins.com/subsonic.htm
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2019, 14:59   #12
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Corbin can hook you up with the swaging dies to make almost any projectile you may need. They even have a specialized rebated boat tail open tip subsonic design and sell dies in 17, 204, 224, 6mm, 6.5mm, 30 caliber and up to 458 caliber. If have issues with expansion add their jacket serrator die and even the slowest jacketed projectiles will expand nicely. Sometime you just have to make what you need.

Thanks M....

I was sitting down to call them and Richard too....😀

Old October 14, 2019, 21:28   #13
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:

I called and talked to Dave Corbin for a while....I’m going to get a swaging kit ordered tomorrow. Looks like the bullet length will need a 6mm PPC jacket.
But wait....I was poking around and discovered making bullets with powder metal like copper and tungsten...hmmmmm. The only drawback is filling the die.
The lead wire is easier.....

Old October 14, 2019, 22:57   #14
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
I called and talked to Dave Corbin for a while....I’m going to get a swaging kit ordered tomorrow. Looks like the bullet length will need a 6mm PPC jacket.
But wait....I was poking around and discovered making bullets with powder metal like copper and tungsten...hmmmmm. The only drawback is filling the die.
The lead wire is easier.....
Lead wire IS easier.

When I first started making .224 bullets with reformed .22LR cases for jackets many decades ago (using Corbin stuff, of course), I picked up a lead wire cutter and a four chamber gang mold for casting cores.

With the use of lead wire, you are a captive of the availability of wire of the 'correct' diameter.

With the mold, no such problem exists since you can use most any old scrap lead (realizing that you'll want a pretty soft core, so you have to be somewhat selective in accumulating your scrap lead).

For the ,224 bullets I make with the .22LR case jackets, I use a bullet core that allows me to close (form) the tip of the bullet to a very small OT. With a very small airspace in the tip, this produces a bullet of about 53 grains. These bullets shoot exceptionally well, much better than you'd think.

My point is that the gang mold has adjustable length cavities, so you could produce longer core 'slugs' if you wanted and had access to jackets that were long enough. I'm pretty sure that the one I have (from Corbin) couldn't produce a 'slug' long enough for a 100 gr bullet, but Dave might have something like that.

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2019, 07:49   #15
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
Lead wire IS easier.

When I first started making .224 bullets with reformed .22LR cases for jackets many decades ago (using Corbin stuff, of course), I picked up a lead wire cutter and a four chamber gang mold for casting cores.

With the use of lead wire, you are a captive of the availability of wire of the 'correct' diameter.

With the mold, no such problem exists since you can use most any old scrap lead (realizing that you'll want a pretty soft core, so you have to be somewhat selective in accumulating your scrap lead).

For the ,224 bullets I make with the .22LR case jackets, I use a bullet core that allows me to close (form) the tip of the bullet to a very small OT. With a very small airspace in the tip, this produces a bullet of about 53 grains. These bullets shoot exceptionally well, much better than you'd think.

My point is that the gang mold has adjustable length cavities, so you could produce longer core 'slugs' if you wanted and had access to jackets that were long enough. I'm pretty sure that the one I have (from Corbin) couldn't produce a 'slug' long enough for a 100 gr bullet, but Dave might have something like that.

Forrest
So I suppose if you get 22 magnum fired cases you could make a longer bullet with them?

Several items that are on the radar are 200-220 grain 308 and a heavy 338 for a subsonic 338 Federal. These represent the needs that are in front of me....

The 308 covers 300 Black Out, 308 Winchester and 7.62x39......everything else is what it is.

Old October 15, 2019, 09:40   #16
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I pour all my cores using a variety of specialized core molds. There is a guy on castboolits.com who sells swain equipment (also on fleabay) under the name of BT Sniper. He has a new design where you cast the bullet you want, powder coat it then run the bullet into a single step swain die which also firmly seats a gas check and then spits out a perfectly true projectile which is hard to do casting long thin heavy bullets. Can drive the powder coat and gas check swaged bullets as slow or fast as want within reason and they are very accurate. Just another option to mention as powder coated cast bullets run through his custom swain dies are becoming very popular and he will make any die you might want.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old October 15, 2019, 16:41   #17
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
What about complete subsonic rounds?

Extreme Shock .223 100 grain ASP Ammunition
https://www.ammoland.com/2010/12/ext...#axzz62SgDJm00
Old October 15, 2019, 17:45   #18
ammolab
Registered

FALaholic #: 10923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Story View Post
That ammo seems to be discontinued/out of stock everywhere, and the company domain name is “for sale”.
ammolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2019, 21:26   #19
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
The issue is that my client wants me to produce the ammoooo......

I just bought the Corbin CSP 2 heavy duty press, dies and supplies to make
100 and 125 gr 224 dia bullets with ogive, straight sides and a flat base....
This should get things moving along. Next is 308 then 338......

Old October 16, 2019, 08:04   #20
Story
Registered

Quote:
The issue is that my client wants me to produce the ammoooo...... .
Alrighty then. This could be further incentive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammolab View Post
That ammo seems to be discontinued/out of stock everywhere, and the company domain name is “for sale”.

The reviews here might provide some insights for your own efforts.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001995382
Old October 16, 2019, 08:08   #21
Story
Registered

Quote:
The ASP was designed for an operator to take out a sentry / guard usually head shot, or a light or dog without alerting the enemy. The user wanter the gun to function in semi or full auto mode so they would not be having to work the bolt on each individual shot. Because you have so little energy to work with the only way to make it more effective and function the gun was to make the bullet as heavy as possible. To do that we had to use Tungsten.

The ASP is certainly not a long range round as you are only 975 FPS at the muzzle. We use compressed Tungsten powder as our core material inside a copper jacket. The .20 thou thick copper jacket gives us the malleability to get down the barrel without creating wear. The tungsten core gives us the penetration through dense bone heavy clothing into a vital to take care of business.

Because of the low velocity it makes it very hard to impossible for the small bullet to fragment. But because of the Tungsten core we get really great penetration through clothing and soft tissue or bone. When the weapon is shouldered and fired with a suppressor is on the gun you can actually hear the mechanics of the gun then the round impacting the target.

For the gun to function you MUST have a can on the gun. You will have to fire about 8 to 10 rounds through the barrel to coat it to help slow the bullet down. The coating does not cause any buildup as with molly nor can it be cleaned out. The coating causes no adverse effect when switching back to hi vel ammo. We have coated the barrels by shooting the ASP through the gun then we fired 4270 rounds through the gun in full auto fire. Then we put in a mag of ASP with the barrel hot the first round out the barrel was only 99o fps then 985 970 990. So it takes 10 rounds to coat and then it will be subsonic from there on out.

We do have a gel block shot with the ASP 5.56 filmed at 40k frames a sec that if Robert has a way to post it we will be more than happy to send it to him. Please feel free to contact us at 276 926 6772 to answer any questions you might have.

Robert, thank you for the post

Jeff Mullins

President

Extreme Shock USA
from 2010
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/su...-as-an-airgun/
Old October 16, 2019, 17:07   #22
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
I’ll be able to make frangibles with the machine I ordered. The round nose coated
ammo in my opinion is a lot of the problem. I made a batch of 7.62 x 39 subs using 220 gr plated bullets and demilled steel cases and the oem propellant.....
works perfect in an AK full auto short barrel. We tried some 311 round nose bullets and they failed miserably....the 308 220’s are the right stuff..I’m pretty sure the heavy jacketed 223s with an ogive that mimics a std oal round will work.

Old October 16, 2019, 19:55   #23
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

When you get these worked out I would be interested in buying some as I do not have the ability to swage 224 projectiles over 90 grains and they are not consistent as I want as at the extreme limit of my available swage dies.
Old October 16, 2019, 20:07   #24
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
When you get these worked out I would be interested in buying some as I do not have the ability to swage 224 projectiles over 90 grains and they are not consistent as I want as at the extreme limit of my available swage dies.
So the trick is the jackets....I got a drawing die to resize the jackets from 6mm to
224....the 6mm are a lot longer than the longest 224 jackets. I’m also getting the
heavy duty manual press...The dies fit the hydraulic machine. The small press uses the 7/8 dies these are 1”.

Old October 17, 2019, 09:17   #25
762gunr
Registered

FALaholic #: 69517
Wouldn't sub sonic 220 grain in .308 be MUCH easier?
762gunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2019, 11:43   #26
Story
Registered

Quote:
the 308 220’s are the right stuff.. .
Yowser. Krag fodder.
Old October 17, 2019, 14:03   #27
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762gunr View Post
I plan on making a 308 with 220gr buleets.......also 300 black outs and AK food....

Old October 17, 2019, 18:09   #28
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762gunr View Post
Yes but I would bet there are way more people with suppressed 5.56 AR 15's than 7.62 battle rifles. I really like the 355 grain Tubbs Absolute 2 Hole dual projectile subsonic ammo.
Old October 19, 2019, 13:57   #29
kawasakifreak77
Registered

FALaholic #: 81651
Too bad PRL doesn't make 150gr subsonic anymore.
kawasakifreak77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2019, 22:24   #30
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasakifreak77 View Post
Too bad PRL doesn't make 150gr subsonic anymore.
I found some good info on PRL and a couple guys on Arfcom that were making pretty much the same bullet I’m going to make. However the tests were all around 2400 FPS.....no subsonic tests.....it was a devastating round....I can see
some hybrid bullets taking shape.