Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition > Reloading Data

Notices

Old September 21, 2019, 16:51   #1
lew
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass quality?

Right now, I'm just buying factory Hornady 6.5 CM ammo- which shoots phenomenally well in my AR- and saving the brass. I already have Redding dies and the components for my RL550, so I'll be ready to reload when I get enough saved.

That having been said, how is Hornady's brass quality for reloading? Am I better off with another brand?

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2019, 17:09   #2
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
I’ve reloaded 223, 243 and .44 Spl with Hornady cases and it seems like quality stuff to me.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop! -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2019, 19:28   #3
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
I have loaded a bunch of Hornady 6.5 brass but my preference it to go with other brands that use small primers like Lapua and Starlite.
RVN 67-68
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2019, 11:58   #4
lew
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Groovy.

I've only reloaded some of their .223 brass and haven't noticed any issues.

Art, I'll be sticking with large rifle primers, as the data I've seen doesn't give me enough of a reason to dump all the brass I have on hand and start fresh.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2019, 12:28   #5
gearlogo
Registered

FALaholic #: 5576
Lapua is the best brass from a strength and quality perspective. Norma is good quality but softer than Lapua. The "others" are just mass production brass even though they are done in small lots.

If you were shooting a bolt gun I would say bite the bullet and go with Lapua but since you are shooting a semi auto, and can't control the position of each case when chambering, and will likely full length size you should be fine with the "other" brass companies.

Expect 3-5 reloading is my swag. I would not size to he she'll holder if you can get away with it and hand prime a few per batch to see how the primer pockets are doing.
gearlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2019, 12:55   #6
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
When primer pockets stretch is what superglue was made for. Have about 10,000 7.6239 Berdan cases wife removed anvil from oldest large rifle primers in inventory (she puts on he $2,000 10x prescription dental procedure glasses and picks up a pair of dental picks and she can remove anvils from boxer designed primers fast as I can seat them in cases. Load 160 grain cast gas check bullets on top and then glue the primers in as not quite a snug fit. Never had a glued primer come out and the cheap cast low recoil ammo shoots better 75 yard groups than any milsurp x39 we have.

x39 is not only cases have used superglue to hold in primers. My big 7mm Practicals and 300 RUM will stretch primer pockets when brass has another loading or two so add superglue to ensure they stay put. Also use it as a general primer sealer on long term SHTF storage ammo. When wife determines a rifle case is on its last safe loading (she uses dental picks to to feel for cracks inside case especially down near web) and says it's good but load count says it's end of life we load it one last time for long term storage or shooting at areas can't police up your brass. Never had a rifle case she inspected blow a case head or blow a glued in primer yet. I like that last loading knowing getting all can get safely per case. After 20+ years finding more cavities in teeth with a pick than x-ray she has the magic touch of finding defects that are blind to the eyes.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2019, 16:08   #7
gearlogo
Registered

FALaholic #: 5576
huey, Whatever works for you. Really, not kidding.

I loaded Sako 220 russian to 6ppc cases untold times. These were the old original Lou Palmisano import lot balloon head cases and the primers were really loose Superstition about making a change was strong so I kept using them. I eventualy retired the cases (still have them) and switched to Lapua but had to mess with the clicks on my measure because they had less case capacity.
gearlogo is offline   Reply With Quote