The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
"Get out here Dad, there's something weird in the driveway!"

Old May 23, 2020, 10:09   #2
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
Tell your dog to back up and nuke it from orbit.
John A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2020, 10:49   #3
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Non-venomous snake.

At worst, it will kill Small venemous snakes, and eat bugs.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2020, 17:06   #4
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
I assumed someone had just noticed your Jeep....
Old May 23, 2020, 17:09   #5
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
“He says he’s from the government!!!”

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!” -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2020, 17:28   #6
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy the Aussie View Post
I assumed someone had just noticed your Jeep....

(you're a bloody wanker mate )
Old May 23, 2020, 18:04   #7
yovinny
Old Fart
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Ahhhh,,,,he ant' seen nothing untill he see's a pair of those black snakes doing the wild thing.....
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2020, 18:13   #8
easttex
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20438
Leave'em be man. He's on the hunt for a mouse to eat.

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2020, 19:47   #9
Jaxxas
Don't Tread On Me!
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post

My dog Skip would be going absolutely ape sh!t trying to catch it!

A golf course is a complete waste of a good rifle range. Jarhead
Jaxxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2020, 20:42   #10
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Is that a rubber moccasin?
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2020, 22:59   #11
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
Good dog. Bark, but give it space. It could just as easily have been a poisonous snake.
Old May 24, 2020, 03:42   #12
MACV
Registered

FALaholic #: 1167
Quote:
That snake is getting a lesson in social distancing. Dogs are smarter than you think.
Old May 24, 2020, 06:31   #13
frankxtc
Registered

FALaholic #: 10952
Few years ago this was in our yard, passing through during reptile breeding season.
The dogs were curious, but kept their distance:
“Lots of teeth”

gator_1
I do not go in for collecting guns.
I never buy a gun unless I really need it.
As a matter of fact, I really only need about a dozen, or possibly fourteen, more guns than I have now.
frankxtc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2020, 08:32   #14
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
looks like a black rat snake, it is your friend, eats lots of mice, and bugs your dog was right to let you know of it being in his/her domain and good for keeping distance from any snake, praise the dog and give a treat
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2020, 16:04   #15
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
Quote:

(you're a bloody wanker mate )
..... yeah.....but you also KNOW I am right....
Old May 25, 2020, 04:31   #16
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACV View Post
That snake is getting a lesson in social distancing. Dogs are smarter than you think.
Maybe *some* dogs. I've met a few smart dogs but a good number of stupidogs.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2020, 12:33   #17
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxxas View Post
My dog Skip would be going absolutely ape sh!t trying to catch it!

I had a Doberman once (a wonderful dog, by the way) and she had a particular 'distaste' for snakes. If she saw it, it was history. Didn't make any difference what kind of snake (and, luckily for me, there were few venomous ones in the area I lived at the time, but I doubt it would have made a difference because she was so fast (and vicious with snakes) that it would have been whipped around until it's head snapped off).

Glad things are going well, Gary.

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2020, 19:31   #18
12v71
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 71127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
I had a Doberman once (a wonderful dog, by the way) and she had a particular 'distaste' for snakes. If she saw it, it was history. Didn't make any difference what kind of snake (and, luckily for me, there were few venomous ones in the area I lived at the time, but I doubt it would have made a difference because she was so fast (and vicious with snakes) that it would have been whipped around until it's head snapped off).

Glad things are going well, Gary.

Forrest
I had a little Heeler that killed every snake he saw. Same method... shake and whip. I always figured he would get killed if he ran across a rattler. It finally happened and he ran up on it, as soon as he heard the rattles he was right by my side. I guess instinct took over.
Funny thing was we had what we called rattle bushes and he would not go near them either.
Old May 26, 2020, 11:21   #19
alphadog58
Registered

FALaholic #: 9405
I was once owned by a husky/ shepherd mix. Rennie had it in for any wild critter that came in the yard. He’d run circles around it barking his fool head off. Snakes, snapping turtles, possums you name it. Only critter he would kill was woodchucks. Chomp on the back of the neck, shake til done...
Larry
Old May 27, 2020, 12:42   #20
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66564
I had a female boxer that was an absolutely amazing dog, smart as can be. We were very connected and I loved her dearly. She only had one, in my opinion, undesirable trait, she had a prey drive that was way over the top, she was a born killer/hunter of anything that moved. If you talked with her about hunting you would swear she understood every word you said, 100% attention.
We had a small heard of deer moving across the property one day and we both went out to check if there was a buck in the bunch. We came up to the hill the deer crossed over and I told her to stay , which she did, as I crawled up to look over the top without silhouetting and called her up but motioning down with my hand, no words spoken. She low profiled as she came up and peeked over the hill with me. We were like two wolves working together for dinner. No buck so that was that. She never chased deer, thank goodness and thank goodness she never encountered a badger.
She would go after gophers, ground squirrels, like an excavator tearing up sage brush to dig them if they made their hole. I watched her teach herself how to get them which was another display of her intelligence. At first she would charge up on them and very quickly figured out that was not working. Then she tried sneaking up on them, just like a cat would, which worked like a charm.
Being a humanitarian and all that I would have preferred her to dial that kill drive down to five or so from her eleven default setting.

Matthew 25:1 thru 25:10 Be ready!

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.

Not that I’m ugly but more like weird looking.
Sagerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2020, 11:26   #21
jugrunner
Restless
Contributor

FALaholic #: 19911
It's a King snake .. leave it alone .. !!! .. damn .. some of youz guyz r girlz ..
Old June 01, 2020, 11:11   #22
Outlaw Patriot
Registered

FALaholic #: 33905
I had a blue heeler german shepard cross that really wanted to fight a black bear in my driveway. Wish I'd filmed how he acted when he first smelled it from inside. No bark, low growl, but absolutely no fear at all. Any conflict inside him was between not knowing if this was the moment he earned his keep, or if I had gotten him the best treat/toy ever. He seemed unable to figure that out, but either way was about jumping out of his skin to get his teeth on whatever that smell was.

Brought him out into the driveway on leash with a very bright headlamp (it was after dark, and I've seen black bears almost never stick around if someone shines a light at them) and pistol just in case, to scare the bear off. Crazy little dog was a good boy and didn't try to pull the leash out of my hand, but all 60 lbs of him was ready to eat that bear.

Who knows, part of me thinks maybe it was the bear that got off easy. Few months before, walking him at night, a coyote ran past us under a streetlight off into the dark, and immediatlyl the pup takes off after him. Knowing that coyotes bait dogs this way, and hearing at least three or four of them yipping, I thought for a moment I may have just lost my best friend. I hesitated just a moment, it all happened so fast, but just as I took my first step to run into the fray the sounds of excited coyote yips turned into multiple yelps of coyote pain, and he trots out of the darkness, head held high, proud as a peacock, completely relaxed. Found plenty of bloody coyote fur between his teeth, and coyote slobber all over his neck, but not a single scratch on him. Still not sure how they didn't at least get him a little bit. He was about 13 years old at that point as well. He did have the biggest jaw muscles I've ever seen on a dog though. If you looked with his mouth open you could see inch thick bulges of muscle on each sides of his jaw. They were bigger than on the 100lb pitbull mix I knew.

I miss that dog. If you couldn't tell.
Outlaw Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote