Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old November 30, 2019, 07:47   #1
yovinny
Uneducated NYC Boy
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Smokin deals,,,,or not

What smokin black friday deals did you find ?

While I bought a bunch of needed parts & accessories,,and saved a Very few cents,,, I found zero smokin deals that I just couldent live without...

I would have bought a grendel kit,,,but didnt find any with the longer barrel length I want..

Otherwise, I wasent realy looking hard for anything besides lowers,,,,but after figuring shipping and a $20. transfer fee,,, I found nothing that could beat my LGS (buds) regular every day $39.99 price on a bunch of multi cal Andersons.....
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2019, 08:23   #2
munchoman
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 21848
good deal on flashiders

https://www.dsarms.com/p-17204-fal-s...6x24-left.aspx
munchoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2019, 16:48   #3
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Brownells has Aero AR 10 lowers for $88 code "HAA".
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2019, 19:27   #4
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Primary Arms has AR- 10 and 15 lowers and uppers and other AR related stuff reduced for quick sale.

Jarhead
Old December 01, 2019, 14:30   #5
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
Got a Leupold and mount from Cabelas. Decent discount from their every-day high prices.
ByronF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 01, 2019, 16:42   #6
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
Glockmeister had some good deals on small parts.
Except for that I really didnt see anything, or really need anything that was pressing.
Black friday and cyber monday are pretty much a dud to me.
Old December 01, 2019, 17:45   #7
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Only smokin deal I saw was the M1 that 308shooter posted. If I didn't have to finish paying off my truck ASAP, yep I'd been on that like stink on shit

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2019, 08:30   #8
bubs
Registered

FALaholic #: 38983
Classic Firearms has Anderson stripped lowers for $29.99
bubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2019, 09:16   #9
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchoman View Post

Front serrations for "cutting" barbed wire

Cool, and here I thought it was to retain the BFA
Old December 02, 2019, 11:09   #10
ByronF
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post

It's not for coring an apple?
Old December 02, 2019, 12:31   #11
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post

Yeah,doesn't the BFA have a little spring loaded detent ball or something to engage the little notches? I think I can even see it in their photo on the same page. Keeps it from backing out as you use it.
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2019, 12:31   #12
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronF View Post
It's not for coring an apple?
Or rubbing on someone's back during some massage session?

Or dipping it on paint and then leaving secret marks associated with Aliens?
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2019, 12:57   #13
ByronF
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post

Or dipping it on paint and then leaving secret marks associated with Aliens?
They told us not to talk about our secret marks at the last meeting. Or werent you paying attention?
Old December 02, 2019, 13:19   #14
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
Yeah,doesn't the BFA have a little spring loaded detent ball or something to engage the little notches? I think I can even see it in their photo on the same page. Keeps it from backing out as you use it.
Umm . . . yes.

Something I'd expect DSA to know. Thus my amusement.
Old December 02, 2019, 13:25   #15
ByronF
Registered

Good deal on a freefloat handguard. Made in USA. One I picked up had steel nut, add says aluminum. Anodizing seems like the black rubs thin, maybe blackens up with some oil. For the price I dont care.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...ith-slant-nose
Old December 02, 2019, 18:40   #16
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Found deals where I was able to get six DPMS lowers for $75.99 and six DPMS Lo Pro uppers for $80 each. Got a pair of Remington AR 10 Tall receivers for $45 each and only bought them due to dirt cheap price as they force mounting scope a half mile above centerline of bore but since made for Remington by DPMS figured some day may be good spares to have hoarded while dirt cheap.

Found a 22.5" 1:8 BSF Carbon Wrap 6.5 Creedmoor barrel for $499. That is enough for Black Friday and Cyber Monday shopping except a few general parts stocking orders from CDNN, Red Barn, Brownells and Midway. Goal is to now carefully search for more AR 10 barrels as need eight to ten more to build out all the AR 10 receiver sets I have.

Bought enough parts to fill bins to keep turning out an AR 15 or two per month for another couple of years with what's already hoarded. Most likely am going to be bringing on AR 10s as have built at least two of every AR 15 configuration I could ever want. Glassing AR 15s was bad enough but a lot could stick a Vortex red dot of 1-6x and call it done. With every unbuilt AR 10 barrel I have now being single point cut rifling or carbon wrap 5R my guess is average cost to put glass on them will be double to triple my average AR 15. Seldom spend over $500 on poodle shooter glass with most getting about $300ish invested in optics.

These three 6.5 barrels will need at least $799 to $999 minimum spent on glass and last week stole an 8-32x side focus target scope off one of my 6XC AR 10s to test a new custom turn bolt my smith finally finished. Have to either replace it or find appropriate scope for the new turn bolt. If it were not for cost of glass then I could pile up some rifle builds. My general rule is need to spend same money on glass as did barrel ifs sitting over minimum. A $400 barrel should not get a scope that cost less though have some 10.5" and 12.5" White Oaks and Noveskes with C More red dots.

The three 6.5 barrels have found deals on in past few months are all $700 to $900 average street price. While I got them a super deals doesn't mean can skimp on scopes and have a hard time finding deals on scopes like I do other parts. One of the 6.5s I want to put at least a 15x night vision. The ATN Thor 2.5-20x 640x480 thermal is $500 off till midnight tonight. Puts it at the same price as the 388x244 resolution version till midnight. My quandary is for another $1,500 can by a Flir clip on or a Bearing D-950UW starlight clip on and move from rifle to rifle but both are recommended not to use past 16x but have read reviews where users got good results pushing both up to 25x with a really good daylight scope in tandem.

Wife was stunned earlier after hearing me call two friends and offered to sell some camera lenses that I have doubles in. Offered up a Nikon Nikkor AF-S 500mm f5.6, 300mm f4.0 vibration reduction lenses along with some of my really nice wide angle zooms like a 24-70 f2.8 and a 17-35mm f2.8. Like rifles have pairs in my higher end lenses so can have same lense on two bodies. When shooting action sports would often put a top end rig in wife's hands set on program mode and put her in a position where had a much different angle than me in case action happened on opposite side than expected but she has never known me to sell a camera lense so is surprised. Use dual identical rigs so little now if can turn some of my doubles into rifle glass cash rather than camera glass. She has been doing well with a Nikon 80-400 VR lense on a full frame D750 set up like a big point and shoot so willing to possibly part with some camera glass. Shooting rifles way more than photographs and most of them are with a phone or a Ricoh GR III which I have grown to like as a do all camera that fits in a medium/large pocket.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old December 04, 2019, 02:22   #17
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Bought all these parts to build AR 10s and went by a fun shop on my rounds today that had loaded up on DPMS Oracle 308s as their Black Friday special at $633 to match Buds online price which seems to be the best going lately. Told owner if could buy a couple at price was paying a few months ago would be interested so he asked what my offer was. Told him $599 out the door, fax, tag and title ready for the road in sealed boxes not the pair that had been handled by a thousand people over past few days.

He walked in back room and sat a pair of boxes on counter and called my bluff. Then he sat a pair of Lancer L7 25 round magazines in smoke and three thirty round boxes of Federal/Lake City M80 on top of boxes and said $1,200 cash would take the pile out the door. He knows where I have been buying my others and that his shop is over an hour from my office so only stop if working in the area. Think he is wanting me to want to drive an hour each way to see him which a pair of Lancer magazines and enough M80 to fill them and the pair of twenty round mags that came with rifle might have me more motivated in the future to at least pick up the phone.

Now I own another pair of DPMS Oracles which took back to work and locked one away which will stay sealed in box. The other I pulled the collapsible stock off and swapped on a SIG carbon fiber A2 stock and dropped a HiperFire 24E trigger in lower then pulled barrel from upper and swapped an 18" Criterion and JP adjustable gas block I had in locker with free float forearm. For now it's sporting my test scope which is a 6-24x Vortex in Burris X-Treme rings and tomorrow my rounds may put me near a property have permission to shoot. Bet it shoots MOA or under with 168 grain SMKs.

This is the third DPMS Oracle have done a quick barrel, forearm, gas block and trigger change. First one I put a SIG A2 carbon fiber stock as generally save those for ground up builds. I may have to stop buying AR 10 receivers and keep doing NASCAR style pit stop modifications to Oracles. Only issue is like how stiff the DPMS Lo Pro uppers are for long heavy barrels. Plus now have a pile of new take off DPMS 16" barrels, forearms, gas blocks and triggers. Since have two Oracles with binary triggers and pair of 50 round drum magazines each will probably need replacement barrels in a few years.

Looks like we are moving toward a fleet of jumbo gas guns to match the fleets of poodle shooters. 7.62 and 6.5C will dominate in numbers but the pair of 6XC and 338 Federal add some versatility especially since I have a box of very interesting 0.338" projectiles that were pulled in Europe and mailed as generic pull downs to U.S. Now to find a deal in a 45 Raptor barrel for a big bore. Had promised M1a/M14s in 6.5 would be next project but the deals were too good.

With DPMS and Armalite not compatible and now DPMS Gen 1 and DPMS Gen 2 not compatible a man has to be darn careful buying parts these days. Oddly read Gen 1 and Gen 3 uppers and lowers will fit but lines don't fit cleanly. Somebody is going to have to come up with a standard jumbo poodle shooter system and kick all the others to the curb as may need to steal a part of a buddies rifle and if not fit. Who has opinions on Gen 2 and Gen 3? I like my old Gen 1 rifles and if missing out on something important need to know. A buddy fold me more Gen 1, 2 and 3 parts will force fit with a little nudging.
Old December 04, 2019, 10:18   #18
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
So I purchased everything for my cousin's 6.8 build. I'd say I did pretty well, spending less on his with some better parts than I did on my primo build 7 years ago. Total is right at $1200, for everything but sights. Parts list includes:

Aero Upper, lower, small parts
Adams Arms low-mass lightweight piston kit
ARP spiral fluted 18" 5R barrel with their bolt and comp
Rise Armament RA-535 trigger (this thing is SWEET)
Oversized trigger guard
Ergo Grip
Aimsports Mlok 13.5" FFHG (very nice for the $$$)
Ambi safety and CH
Rogers Superstock

I expect it to be a shooter for sure. Black Friday and Cyber Monday probably saved $200 on all that. He's putting that into glass, think he's going with an Athlon piece, which is darn decent for the $$$ as well.
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote