Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old May 22, 2020, 18:57   #1
Vaughn L. Allen
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 26532
G Series FAL- Transferable Machine Gun

I've noticed a couple FAL G rifles on the amnesty list that are listed as transferable machine guns. How were they able to turn a G into a transferable machine gun?

(To such heights of evil are men driven by religion)
Vaughn L. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2020, 19:36   #2
NFADLR
Registered

FALaholic #: 7480
Its called registration via NFA.

Back prior to 1986 May 19 you could do this thing as long as one lived in at the time was 35 of 50 states it was legal.

Hell even in California at one time it was legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughn L. Allen View Post
I've noticed a couple FAL G rifles on the amnesty list that are listed as transferable machine guns. How were they able to turn a G into a transferable machine gun?
NFADLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2020, 20:13   #3
4markk
Military Observer
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 31134
More than likely the 1968 Amnesty. Since then, there was only one other way to make a transferable NFA firearm and that exception was closed in 1986. All they had to do is change a few parts and get them on the register as a transferable. More people should've done it.

Regulations for the 1968 amnesty published in the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 26, Chapter 1, § 179.120
The amnesty period from November 2, 1968, to December 1, 1968, was authorized under § 207(b) of the National Firearms Act of 1968, which is also known as Title II of the Gun Control Act of 1968.
It is sometimes confused with the amnesty provision at § 207(d), which authorized the Secretary of the Treasury (may now be the Attorney General) to establish future amnesty periods not to exceed 90 days each, upon publication of his intention to do so in the Federal Register. This would be a wonderful parting gift from President Trump. Get them ready boys.

“The worst thing about growing old is that other men stop seeing you as dangerous.” Act Of Valor

"A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends." Socrates
4markk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2020, 21:26   #4
adamr94
Registered

FALaholic #: 82759
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4markk View Post
More than likely the 1968 Amnesty. Since then, there was only one other way to make a transferable NFA firearm and that exception was closed in 1986. All they had to do is change a few parts and get them on the register as a transferable. More people should've done it.

Gotta remember, $200 was a lot of money back then. I'm not saying people shouldn't have, but dropping nearly 1500 bucks (in today's money) to blow through ammo at an uncontrollable rate was absurd back in the day.
adamr94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2020, 21:36   #5
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamr94 View Post
Gotta remember, $200 was a lot of money back then. I'm not saying people shouldn't have, but dropping nearly 1500 bucks (in today's money) to blow through ammo at an uncontrollable rate was absurd back in the day.
No matter what time period you look at there have always been people that have had absurd money to throw away on $200 stamps and ammo.
Old May 22, 2020, 21:55   #6
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
I’m sure a few came in as machine guns prior to 68 and are registered as factory MGs (not talking exempted sear-cut semis).

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!” -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2020, 22:32   #7
Arby
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamr94 View Post
IIRC, the amnesty was free. You didn't have to pay anything. If you wanted the federal tax stamp, you got it. Just show up with your MG. And keep your fingers crossed.

A big concern back then, though, was whether or not everything was on the up-and-up. There was concern among some that, if you filed under the federal amnesty, that the states could still come after you for MG possession (even if you lived in a state that allowed possession if done previous to the amnesty according previous BATF rulings). Some people didn't trust that the federal amnesty would clear them regarding their state's law. There was no internet back then to query about the specifics of the law, and few attorneys in most jurisdictions that knew much about the NFA or the new 1968 GCA.

A number of people used the amnesty to turn in otherwise illegal MGs. There was plenty of newsreel back then of tables full of MGs that had been turned in by owners.
Arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2020, 22:43   #8
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Ian did a video on the 1968 Amnesty a few years back-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NnoSbLw_7hA

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!” -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2020, 00:12   #9
Arby
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET View Post
Ian did a video on the 1968 Amnesty a few years back-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NnoSbLw_7hA
Thanks for posting that, VALMET.

I remember seeing a Chicom AK at a gunshow right after the amnesty that was a Vietnam bring-back that the owner had registered and was thereby legal. I also knew of another case of a WWII bring-back that was allegedly "deep-sixed" right after the '68 amnesty, because the veteran owner had been told by "someone that knew the law" that it was illegal and couldn't be registered under the amnesty.

A lot of people didn't trust the amnesty. A lot of people didn't know what it allowed, and what it didn't.
Old May 23, 2020, 05:27   #10
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby View Post
A lot of people didn't know what it allowed, and what it didn't.
By design perhaps?
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2020, 06:35   #11
AGG
Registered

FALaholic #: 27127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby View Post
IIRC, the amnesty was free. You didn't have to pay anything. If you wanted the federal tax stamp, you got it. Just show up with your MG. And keep your fingers crossed.
I believe that there still was the $200.00 transfer tax--- unlike ATF Ruling 94-1 (03-01-94) on the USAS 12 and Striker 12--- had to register by 05-01-01--- no registration tax!!!

Tony
AGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2020, 08:04   #12
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Contributor
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 9689
I remember a friend's situation in 1984 where his son brought back from Grenada a Euro AK and Czech sub-gun. he said the guns were under his son's bed and wanted to know what could be done and if I wanted them?
I informed him the best course of action was there is a current no questions asked amnesty on Grenada firearm bring backs and the guns could be turned in at any police station.
Old May 23, 2020, 10:07   #13
Arby
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGG View Post
I believe that there still was the $200.00 transfer tax
You may be correct, I don't know. I don't recall any mention of the tax in association with the amnesty back then: the tax, if required, would certainly have made the amnesty less attractive. I just did a search and could find nothing definitive about the tax during the amnesty.
Old May 23, 2020, 11:24   #14
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Both amnesties were Free Tax Stamps
The reason for the 1968 one was the GCA which added deactivated machineguns and live destructive Devices to the NFA
When I was a little kid you could still buy dewats mail order, same with live mortars, bazookas, 20mm anti tank rifles. There were tens of thousands of these things in America, at best maybe half ever were registered under the GCA amnesty

Same situation came up again in the 90s when Clinton "banned" Strykers, Street Sweepers and USAS12 shotguns
Again Treasury did an amnesty allowing owners to register them free
this is lawfully should have occurred with bump stocks as well but Trump and Sessions were having none of that

The deal with Amnesty G FALs was there were not many of the semi Gs around to begin with, further spare parts, even magazines were nearly impossible to source in 1968 America
Rumor was J Curtis Earl had registered a G during the Amnesty, I know he had transferable FALs in his NFA catalog in the mid 70s that I can only assume were registered semi Gs or Belgian select fire guns that were imported as law enforcement samples prior to the GCA
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2020, 14:41   #15
4markk
Military Observer
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 31134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
The deal with Amnesty G FALs was there were not many of the semi Gs around to begin with, further spare parts, even magazines were nearly impossible to source in 1968 America
Rumor was J Curtis Earl had registered a G during the Amnesty, I know he had transferable FALs in his NFA catalog in the mid 70s that I can only assume were registered semi Gs or Belgian select fire guns that were imported as law enforcement samples prior to the GCA
If it is on the list, it came in as semi.

I agree, there was not a lot of spare parts to convert them. But it wouldn't have to be a fully functional MG to register it. Look at what Stemple did.

I know if there is another amnesty, I'm registering every black gun and bare receiver I have ....

“The worst thing about growing old is that other men stop seeing you as dangerous.” Act Of Valor

"A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends." Socrates
4markk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2020, 15:15   #16
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4markk View Post
If it is on the list, it came in as semi.

I agree, there was not a lot of spare parts to convert them. But it wouldn't have to be a fully functional MG to register it. Look at what Stemple did.

I know if there is another amnesty, I'm registering every black gun and bare receiver I have ....
Part of the reason Drump did the bumpstock deal as a complete EO was to prevent any possibility of a new overall MG Amnesty
Now when, not IF but WHEN in the future black guns go NFA my bet they create a new catagory under tax similar to AOWs
so no free conversion to MG
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2020, 07:51   #17
James
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 642
An ad on GB around 6/15/2014 listed G630 as a form 3 machine gun. G630 is not on the list. Below is what was listed on the ad.

[I]This gun is an incredible find! This is a new condition "G" series Belgian machine gun and it is fully transferable. It looks unfired, is all original, and on a scale of 1 to 10, it is as close to 10/perfect as you can get. I have been told that the three digit serial number indicates early 1960's production. Better than anything I have seen in any museum, this would certainly be the center piece of any advanced FN/FAL collector's collection! Original magazine is still in wrap. Form 3 paperwork transferring gun to your FFL will be faxed to ATF upon receipt of funds in full, along with current, signed FFL copy. ALL NFA RULES APPLY!
THIS IS A FACTORY ORIGINAL SELECT FIRE FN FAL FROM FN, HERSTAL, BELGIUM. THIS IS NOT A CONVERSION !!!!
Price: $29,990.00
[I

Unfortunately I didn't copy the sellers name which might help in finding this gun. If we Knew when it was actually registered that might help to determine if it was actually imported as a MG. If registered after 1968 it would have to be a walkover from Canada.

This serial number is not on the list.

James
Old May 24, 2020, 10:56   #18
AliYahu
Registered

FALaholic #: 11084
Prior to GCA-68, you could import machine guns easily and legally. I actually heard a story of an SOT buying a select-fire Uzi SMG in Israel, transporting it in his carry-on luggage, and declaring it at Customs - and carrying it the rest of the way home.
It was a VERY different world 52+ years ago!
Just keep in mind, $200 in 1968 is $1,473.50 in 2020 dollars per the inflation calculator.

Eli
AliYahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2020, 11:20   #19
cheka
Registered

FALaholic #: 76476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
Both amnesties were Free Tax Stamps
The reason for the 1968 one was the GCA which added deactivated machineguns and live destructive Devices to the NFA
When I was a little kid you could still buy dewats mail order, same with live mortars, bazookas, 20mm anti tank rifles. There were tens of thousands of these things in America, at best maybe half ever were registered under the GCA amnesty

Same situation came up again in the 90s when Clinton "banned" Strykers, Street Sweepers and USAS12 shotguns
Again Treasury did an amnesty allowing owners to register them free
this is lawfully should have occurred with bump stocks as well but Trump and Sessions were having none of that

Had I been wiser, I simply would have registered any and all oroginal FAL safety sears(by themselves non-controversial) and put them onto host FALs with the sear cut. Or register them with the ejector block.
Oh well!
Okrana
cheka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2020, 13:37   #20
Vaughn L. Allen
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 26532
Thanks for all of the information!

(To such heights of evil are men driven by religion)
Vaughn L. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2020, 13:43   #21
NFADLR
Registered

FALaholic #: 7480
H&K G3 Sears were a good investment in about 1994, bought about 15 at 4 bills each and raked in cash 10 years later.

But then I didnt pay any transfer tax on said items either so.....
NFADLR is online now   Reply With Quote