Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old November 06, 2019, 18:19   #1
C2A1
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 15514
My favorite airplane

Would love to fly in one. From when I was in High school loved this airplane. I still have the Monogram model I built of it in my Jr year in high school. I actually saw this airplane in Kali in the 70s and dreamed of getting it (along with one in Mexico City). (Dreams of youth).
Glad to see the old girl made it. Kinda like an old girlfriend that has aged well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkQURW-E3yI
C2A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2019, 18:23   #2
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
A restored Mosquito flew into The Geneseo NY airshow a few years ago. I tapped on the fuselage a bit; could not tell that it was wood.
V guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2019, 19:58   #3
ronshoe303
Registered

FALaholic #: 35927
Great video. Thanks for posting the link.

The "Mossy" has always been one of my favorites.
ronshoe303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2019, 20:08   #4
medicmike
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
That is beautiful!

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2019, 21:10   #5
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
IIRC, there are two flying now and another 1 or 2 being restored. Beautiful job on both restos

Funny thing is, I think I'm the only person in the world that doesn't think the Mossies are particularly attractive. Something broken in my head, I guess, but as much as I appreciate their history and the restorations, they just don't do a thing for me aesthetically

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2019, 21:57   #6
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
IIRC, there are two flying now and another 1 or 2 being restored. Beautiful job on both restos

Funny thing is, I think I'm the only person in the world that doesn't think the Mossies are particularly attractive. Something broken in my head, I guess, but as much as I appreciate their history and the restorations, they just don't do a thing for me aesthetically
Well, then, I think that we both got bit by the same bug since I don't think that they're particularly attractive either. Certainly not ugly (like the Lancaster and most all other British aircraft of that era except for the non-biplane Fury (the Sea Fury is beautiful)). The Tempest, OK, the Spitfire, OK...

Having said that, the Mosquito was a spectacular aircraft even if not beautiful.

To show the extent of my warpedness, I think that the Bristol Beaufighter TF.Mk.X is more attractive than the Mosquito, and that's saying something...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2019, 23:04   #7
jollyrogerf14
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 71100
Anyone know the name of the movie about the mosquitoes bombing the rock ledge to destroy the heavy water plant, or something like that?
jollyrogerf14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2019, 23:12   #8
EinheitElf
Registered

FALaholic #: 21533
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyrogerf14 View Post
Anyone know the name of the movie about the mosquitoes bombing the rock ledge to destroy the heavy water plant, or something like that?
I believe it is called '633 squadron' from 1964.
EinheitElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2019, 23:24   #9
EinheitElf
Registered

FALaholic #: 21533
I admit to being amazed at its performance and the fact that it was made of wood.

I admit that most of the time british planes dont do it for me either but i like the typhoon for some reason. Would HATE to be flying and need to deadstick it or splash it..that huge chin intake would make you flip bigtime.

Most countries involved in ww2 had planes i find cool for 1 reason or another but i am partial to ze german planes. 1 of my faves is the DO335 PFIEL(ARROW),huge heavy brute push pull fighter. Of course the me109/bf109,fw190-all variants,the jets,etc.
The HE219 UHU is just a sleek plane and had ejection seats and a pressurised cockpit if i remember right---couple firsts in aircraft design .
EinheitElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2019, 23:29   #10
NFADLR
Registered

FALaholic #: 7480
This plane or my late attorneys corsair would work.

If I had any friends in this life one of them would start a GoFundMe to fund this wish.

NFADLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2019, 05:10   #11
kroberts
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 9427
Rod Lewis' corporate HQ is in San Antonio. His building is adjacent to the airport and he keeps some of his hoard there. I used to work at SAT before I moved up to the DFW shithole and used to see his Mustang, and Tigercat a lot. The guy bought Glacier Girl for pete's sake! San Antonio was a good airport to work at if you liked old warbirds.

He doesn't mess around when it comes to aircraft...

https://www.lewisairlegends.com/aircraft
Old November 07, 2019, 08:21   #12
SPEEDGUNNER
Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 43933
Fighter, Bomber, Night Fighter, Pathfinder, Ground Support, the Mosquito was effective in every role it undertook.
Old November 07, 2019, 08:56   #13
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
Well, then, I think that we both got bit by the same bug since I don't think that they're particularly attractive either. Certainly not ugly (like the Lancaster and most all other British aircraft of that era except for the non-biplane Fury (the Sea Fury is beautiful)). The Tempest, OK, the Spitfire, OK...

Having said that, the Mosquito was a spectacular aircraft even if not beautiful.

To show the extent of my warpedness, I think that the Bristol Beaufighter TF.Mk.X is more attractive than the Mosquito, and that's saying something...

Forrest
Funny thing is, I kind of agree on the Beaufighter. Not that is attractive per se, it just looks the business, like a prizefighter with the busted nose and cauliflower ear that nobody messes with !
. .
Do like most Spits ( certain ones more than others ), Fury/Sea Fury are gorgeous. FW190 (most especially the Dora ) Me410 are handsome in a purposeful way. Stuka is "ugly cool" So is the Fi156 Storch. The Japanese just built a bunch of plain vanilla stuff, nothing bad, nothing good ( an exception being the early version of the "Dinah" ). I'm also one of the few people who doesn't much like the Corsair. P51 is far and away my favorite, which is weird because I'm usually attracted to uncommon stuff ( I do like the Allison Mustangs best, though ! ). P38 is certainly elegant but doesn't push my buttons. F7F Tigercat ( Rod Lewis owns one ) is one of the most perfectly beautiful aircraft ever made in my eyes.

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
Old November 07, 2019, 08:58   #14
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFADLR View Post
This plane or my late attorneys corsair would work.

If I had any friends in this life one of them would start a GoFundMe to fund this wish.

Grumman Goose. If you'll settle. for a smaller version, the Widgeon is even a bit prettier.

Of corse, if the GoFundMe goes over the top, you could get a PBY Catalina !

Old November 07, 2019, 09:06   #15
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDGUNNER View Post
Fighter, Bomber, Night Fighter, Pathfinder, Ground Support, the Mosquito was effective in every role it undertook.
IIRC, about the only thing they didn't use it for was as a torpedo bomber. Yes, great and versatile airplane.

Old November 07, 2019, 09:07   #16
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroberts View Post
Rod Lewis' corporate HQ is in San Antonio. His building is adjacent to the airport and he keeps some of his hoard there. I used to work at SAT before I moved up to the DFW shithole and used to see his Mustang, and Tigercat a lot. The guy bought Glacier Girl for pete's sake! San Antonio was a good airport to work at if you liked old warbirds.

He doesn't mess around when it comes to aircraft...

https://www.lewisairlegends.com/aircraft
I was doing a Stearman the same time they were doing Glacier Girl. Bob Cardin was project boss and was nice guy. My contact with him was who did the radium needles on the PT-17 helped them with the panel on the P-38.
01BIRDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2019, 10:07   #17
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
I seem to recollect a WWII movie with Mosquitoes in it with Gregory Peck. Thinking it was the Burma theatre. Not a lot of aircraft action, mostly a survival story after they crashed in the jungle.

Wasn't the Mosquito almost not accepted for service due to it coming apart in testing? Wing shearing failure I think. That's got to suk!
Old November 07, 2019, 10:48   #18
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Don't know much early Mosquito history offhand that would be interesting to research. I know that early on there were fatigue failures of the wood structure around the cockpit due to the prop tips being so close to the fuselage and causing excessive vibration. I don't think they were catastrophic failures, though.
It is supposedly a very demanding aircraft to fly - its minimum one engine speed is very high and an engine failure on takeoff is apparently extremely dangerous.

Thinking about it, I've never seen a complete flight report on the Mossie - it would be interesting to see about the rest of its flight characteristics. I suspect unpleasant spin recovery but that's just an amateur hunch.

The movie with Peck might be "The Purple Plain". Haven't seen it, but the IMDB description looks right. It alludes to a Lancaster, though, and I'm pretty sure they weren't used in the Burma theater but I could be wrong. Another research project ?

Old November 07, 2019, 11:02   #19
C2A1
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

The German Mosquito (Ta-154) had wood delamination problems during testing. The Ta-154 was built to counter the British mosquito. I touched my first Brit mosquito in August 1975. It was in storage in Alberta. I ran my hand along the body and it was smooth (kinda like a young woman's skin). No rivets.
I had seen this aircraft and thought about getting it in 1976. It looked rough ( just like the pictures) but I thought maybe... and the merlins had to worth the asking price of $2500.00. There was also one in Mexico City at that time.
I also went looking for the Mosquito follow up, the Hornet. Working with an Aussie there were the remains of one in BC, Canada. Engines gone and that weather made short work of the wood.
Old November 07, 2019, 12:17   #20
Stoney
Former 0311
Contributor

FALaholic #: 1205
my favorite

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

"Some minds are like concrete, thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.”

Has freedom been replaced with Free-Dumb.

Illegitimi non carborundum

A 1911A1 is like a Glock, except it's for grownups.

AMERICA! Designed by geniuses. Now run by idiots.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen." Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old Viking saying: Never be more then two steps from your weapon

Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living.
Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2019, 12:28   #21
NFADLR
Registered

Guess I would need a sponsor for the GFM.

Sykes and his Condor Squadron.

Some of his planes on main page.

https://www.condorsquadron.org/photos/dick-sykes/

Quote:
Grumman Goose. If you'll settle. for a smaller version, the Widgeon is even a bit prettier.

Of corse, if the GoFundMe goes over the top, you could get a PBY Catalina !
Old November 07, 2019, 12:39   #22
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

eleven years late, but blue skies and tailwinds, Mr. Sykes. Thanks for you and your comrades service, both military and later

Old November 07, 2019, 12:42   #23
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2A1 View Post
The German Mosquito (Ta-154) had wood delamination problems during testing. The Ta-154 was built to counter the British mosquito. I touched my first Brit mosquito in August 1975. It was in storage in Alberta. I ran my hand along the body and it was smooth (kinda like a young woman's skin). No rivets.
I had seen this aircraft and thought about getting it in 1976. It looked rough ( just like the pictures) but I thought maybe... and the merlins had to worth the asking price of $2500.00. There was also one in Mexico City at that time.
I also went looking for the Mosquito follow up, the Hornet. Working with an Aussie there were the remains of one in BC, Canada. Engines gone and that weather made short work of the wood.
Hornet, YES ! VERY cool bird ! Also liked the Westland Whirlwind, now extinct, I believe

Old November 07, 2019, 12:44   #24
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
my favorite

Ahh, Stoney, could you be just a wee bit prejudiced ?

Old November 07, 2019, 12:45   #25
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Hornet, YES ! VERY cool bird ! Also liked the Westland Whirlwind, now extinct, I believe
Hmmm...

The Whirlwind might be pushing the edge for me...

But the Wyvern S.4 is another story, a spectacular aircraft...

Forrest
Old November 07, 2019, 12:58   #26
C2A1
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

Ya, the Whirlwind is very cool but awful engine problems. Was an excellent cross channel ground attack aircraft. Merlin was committed to the Spitfire, Mosquito and Lancasters. I often wondered if the whirlwind has been reengineered for the Packard Merlin or even the Allison if things would have panned out better.
Old November 07, 2019, 13:05   #27
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Hmmm...

The Whirlwind might be pushing the edge for me...

But the Wyvern S.4 is another story, a spectacular aircraft...

Forrest
You like to live dangerously ! Not a real great accident record, but definitely and\ unusual and attractive bird !

Now, if you want to go for a stretch, I always thought the Grumman F5F Skyrocket was an interesting looking critter - not exactly pretty but, shall we say, intriguing ?

Old November 07, 2019, 13:06   #28
C2A1
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

Speaking of the Hornet, another almost was the Martin Baker M.B.5. It was the step after the spitfire (spiteful). But the Vampire and Meteor were in initial production. However at lower levels the M.B.5 was some airplane.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._prototype.jpg
Old November 07, 2019, 13:09   #29
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 65552
One thing about the Mossie is plain as day if you take a close look at it.

There was/is absolutely no quick or easy way to extract oneself if you needed to leave via the silk elevator.

Crew escapes were very few and far between.

“Anyone who doesn’t think the Welfare Industrial Complex is trying to increase dependency isn’t paying attention.” - Howie Carr
ExCdnSoldierInTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2019, 13:12   #30
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2A1 View Post
Speaking of the Hornet, another almost was the Martin Baker M.B.5. It was the step after the spitfire (spiteful). But the Vampire and Meteor were in initial production. However at lower levels the M.B.5 was some airplane.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._prototype.jpg
This is a stretch for the old brain, but IIRC, someone is building a replica of the MB5. It's not going to be exact ( using Mustang wings, I think ) but should be interesting nonetheless.

Old November 07, 2019, 13:12   #31
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
You like to live dangerously ! Not a real great accident record, but definitely and\ unusual and attractive bird !

Now, if you want to go for a stretch, I always thought the Grumman F5F Skyrocket was an interesting looking critter - not exactly pretty but, shall we say, intriguing ?
True...

But, in terms of the Wyvern, keep in mind that the British carriers of the day were pretty marginal in terms of size and capability for an 'advanced' turboprop aircraft like the Wyvern...

Forrest
Old November 07, 2019, 15:34   #32
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
True...

But, in terms of the Wyvern, keep in mind that the British carriers of the day were pretty marginal in terms of size and capability for an 'advanced' turboprop aircraft like the Wyvern...

Forrest
Valid point. We weren't much if any better at that stage of the game - it's one of the reasons the USN assigned the F7F to USMC land squadrons as well.

I can only imagine landing an early jet on a straight deck carrier knowing a wave off wasn't going to be appreciated by the engine.

Old November 07, 2019, 18:54   #33
C2A1
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

Carrier landing with a mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9Hjne0OA4w
Old November 07, 2019, 19:21   #34
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Horses Ass
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5777
The most beautiful airplane of WWII. If you disagree, then you are wrong.

Old November 07, 2019, 20:21   #35
NFADLR
Registered

The eyes changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrew Battle Rifle View Post

Old November 07, 2019, 20:51   #36
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrew Battle Rifle View Post

Well, I've been wrong before........

It would be boring if we all had exactly the same tastes

And look - this one could have been yours.............https://www.platinumfighters.com/p-40e

Last edited by J. Armstrong; November 07, 2019 at 20:56.
Old November 07, 2019, 21:13   #37
C2A1
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

The eye moved around depending on when and where. Now this is different.
Old November 08, 2019, 00:08   #38
Stoney
Former 0311
Contributor

the pix with the shark is not a P-40, note the 4 bladed prop, maybe a P-51 or a Spit, Malcolm hood.

Press "1" for English.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen." Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old November 08, 2019, 01:22   #39
embatp
What? Me AR?
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 39856
Spit....
Old November 08, 2019, 08:00   #40
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by embatp View Post
Spit....
Nope, 51. Note the cuffed prop blades and the wheel well doors slightly open. Spit gear was hinged inboard and retracted outward. The four blade Spits all used wood bladed Rotol props that weren't cuffed. The carb scoop under the spinner is 51, too, although photorecon and desrt ops Spits did have a "second chin" that looked a bit similar.

Tough call, though - I was going Spit at first too.

Last edited by J. Armstrong; November 08, 2019 at 08:07.
Old November 08, 2019, 08:06   #41
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

IIRC, the "pink" P40 was originally done up as an early MTO/desert P40, which birds were done up in a pinkish/tan desert camo color. The one in the pic was at one point owned by a woman and is a bit TOO pink. I think she got it that way, liked it and left it that color, although the pic is a recent repaint and I suspect it got "pinker" as a sort of homage to her ownership. A bit much ( check the eye lashes ) but still cool and appears beautifully maintained !

Looks like a very pretty Super DC3 in the background. Corsair and Skyraider lurking back there too.

Last edited by J. Armstrong; November 08, 2019 at 13:49.
Old November 08, 2019, 11:53   #42
Stoney
Former 0311
Contributor

J got it, i missed the gear door

Press "1" for English.

Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old November 09, 2019, 12:31   #43
C2A1
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

Stoney may like this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4J7qWhYg8I
Old November 09, 2019, 12:48   #44
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
Quote:
This is a stretch for the old brain, but IIRC, someone is building a replica of the MB5. It's not going to be exact ( using Mustang wings, I think ) but should be interesting nonetheless.
http://johnmarlinsmb5replica.mysite.com/
Uriah Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2019, 16:56   #45
Stoney
Former 0311
Contributor

C2A1
Passionate Paulette is the one i flew the most in the movie

Press "1" for English.

Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945