The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Daewoo Files

Notices

Old May 07, 2020, 10:42   #1
Bubacus
Registered

FALaholic #: 13971
Transferable K2

This would be fun to shoot. I didn't realize there were transferable Woos out there:

https://www.gunspot.com/listings/det...e-machine-gun/

Part of the description:

Item Description

This Chester County Armory listing is for a South Korean Daewoo Precision Industries Model K2 5.56mm transferable machine gun. Originally imported by Stoeger Industries, this model is a fully transferable select-fire machine gun, and is identified on the ATF Form 3 as a Form 2 Registration as a manufacturer. Seldom seen in the U.S. as a select-fire version, this K2 is great overall condition. The internals are solid, and there are only a few cosmetic blemishes in the external receiver. This is a fully transferable machine gun.
Old May 07, 2020, 11:43   #2
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Not sure how that works with the dates.

"By 1982-83, the final XB-7 prototype completed development and received official nomenclature of the K2 rifle. After field tests, it went into serial production in 1984. It was officially fielded in 1986 and made its first public appearance during the 1987 Armed Forces Day Parade." (wiki)

So how was one imported and registered pre-86 if it only made first public appearance in 1987?

Just curious is wiki wrong with the dates? This article says they were imported in early 1980s.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/th...ean-daewoo-k2/
Old May 07, 2020, 12:27   #3
pre1989
Registered

FALaholic #: 76523
I have seen other transfer Dawoo not many but I think there is a few out there .. I think at least two of the big FA converted did them ( I cant remeber who did the first one I saw)

So yeah I wonder as well if any one has import numbers and date on these
pre1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2020, 15:03   #4
aardq
Registered

FALaholic #: 18645
The confusion on dates may be from the SA being imported before the FA versions. I would be very interested, but not at that price! Not even at half that price! I'm sure that the ATF has the dates, and probably the serials of the legal guns.
Dan

Last edited by aardq; May 07, 2020 at 15:10.
aardq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2020, 05:06   #5
Icer
Registered

FALaholic #: 82501
I'd be interested to see how they performed the conversion since a real full auto K2 does not have a sear pin hole in the receiver.
Obviously, factory Daewoo full auto parts probably weren't readily available back in the mid 80's when this rifle was converted and papered.
Looks like they may have jury rigged an M-16 sear to work with a welded up semi auto Daewoo bolt carrier.
I just wonder what they had to do to the bolt to actuate the sear and how they modified the selector to work in three positions.
Probably used an M-16 sear pin that is too short in length for the slightly wider Daewoo receiver.
Hopefully it wasn't the SOT who buggered up the sear pin hole so badly.
Sloppy engraving as well, although that was not unusual given the engraving options available to your average SOT back then.
I could see it selling in the 18k-20k price range because it's a pretty rare conversion, but 35k is definitely a bit farfetched.
Icer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2020, 08:00   #6
AGG
Registered

FALaholic #: 27127
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
Not sure how that works with the dates.

"By 1982-83, the final XB-7 prototype completed development and received official nomenclature of the K2 rifle. After field tests, it went into serial production in 1984. It was officially fielded in 1986 and made its first public appearance during the 1987 Armed Forces Day Parade." (wiki)

So how was one imported and registered pre-86 if it only made first public appearance in 1987?

Just curious is wiki wrong with the dates? This article says they were imported in early 1980s.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/th...ean-daewoo-k2/
I believe that importation was discontinued in 1986!!!

Tony
AGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2020, 09:25   #7
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Transferable or not, there isnít a Daewoo on earth thatís worth $35k IMO.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!Ē -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2020, 00:32   #8
Tad_07
Registered

FALaholic #: 79492
Will note that factory fa gas blocks has a tridium insert in the front. That's why the hump int the hood is there...it would be drill and a vial inserted. Can only imagine what the fcg & bolt carrier look like.
Tad_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2020, 02:27   #9
kcinnick
Registered

FALaholic #: 71291
That site is high on all their transferables. It is cool, but you can get a nice collection going with $35k.
kcinnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2020, 23:49   #10
Icer
Registered

FALaholic #: 82501
Now this might be a little closer to being worth $35K for a transferable...shame it will never happen.

Icer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2020, 13:13   #11
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
I would not pay that for a full auto K3, and I lust after that..
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote