Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old March 21, 2020, 17:16   #1
2barearms
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
FFL Transfers are being delayed until mid April

Please note if you buy a firearm and have it shipped to you/your FFL, there’s a good chance you won’t get it for a month. An associate here tried to transfer a handgun to a fellow and it was delayed.......until April 15th. The 3 day rule is not
being used during this event. LTCs are exempted obviously......

As side note you AO may be less busy but less us know if this is the case.....

The FBI is dragging it’s feet trying to slow the guns and ammo tsunami......

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2020, 21:29   #2
K. Funk
Retired Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
PICS was running today, but I heard the non-life sustaining shutdown was put off until Monday AM. There was still a backlog, even after most shops had already closed Friday. I got 3 background checks in for some buddies of mine. I have a Rem 788 .30-30 that got stuck behind the lines at my gunsmith. I bid at a local auction today, but they had absentee and on-line bidding only. I won a bunch. They called me and said I had until 9:00 PM tonight to come and get them or wait until who knows when. I made the hour drive and picked them up.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2020, 21:45   #3
7.62FMJ
Registered

FALaholic #: 2274
I don't understand how this works. Aren't they supposed to automatically transfer after three days?
7.62FMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2020, 21:45   #4
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Feeling pretty good I got everything done just before the SHTF. All my orders came in as everything was going down hill.
Old March 21, 2020, 22:11   #5
sharkey
Registered

FALaholic #: 77489
Sounds like they are refusing to honor the 3 day exception?
sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2020, 22:23   #6
MACV
Registered

FALaholic #: 1167
I have a pistol hung up at my FFL. He was unable to get thru to do the NICS. This is the first I have heard about things being held up till mid April. How will I be able to protect myself and my toilet paper?
Old March 21, 2020, 22:38   #7
2barearms
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62FMJ View Post
I don't understand how this works. Aren't they supposed to automatically transfer after three days?
Sounds like the new normal as they make new rules on the fly....the short answer is yes it would normally transfer after three days....I’m checking with him periodically to see if anything has changed. I have an LTC and it wouldn’t have any effect on me.....

Old March 21, 2020, 23:02   #8
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Funk View Post
PICS was running today, but I heard the non-life sustaining shutdown was put off until Monday AM.

krf
joshua prince has filed an injunction with the state supremes contesting this on State and US constitutional basis re right to keep and bear (including acquisition). will be interesting to see how that goes.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2020, 23:26   #9
Bawana jim
Registered

Our local stores are saying it's a two day wait on instant check in Oregon, that's what I read on facebook.
Old March 22, 2020, 00:22   #10
TerryN
Registered

FALaholic #: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
joshua prince has filed an injunction with the state supremes contesting this on State and US constitutional basis re right to keep and bear (including acquisition). will be interesting to see how that goes.
Are the state courts open? I know the courts in MD are closed for 30 days.
Old March 22, 2020, 02:52   #11
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryN View Post
Are the state courts open? I know the courts in MD are closed for 30 days.
Interesting. The courts portray themselves as an essential service, but now they are running away to hide and potentially leaving folks to cool their heels in the slammer for a whole month for even misdemeanor charges.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2020, 07:41   #12
K. Funk
Retired Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
From the NICS site:

ATTENTION
As the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) Section works through the impact of the COVID-19 operationally, we are working to maintain our services. We are aware that states may be considering options to protect the health and safety of their employees, which may include a reduction in office availability or even closure to some offices.

Should a state choose to limit days of operation by completely closing state offices one or more days a week or even indefinitely, this could potentially impact the Brady Transfer Date (BTD) by changing the time in which an FFL can legally transfer a firearm in a delayed status. The NICS Section urges FFLs to be cognizant of the impact this may have to your day-to-day operations, and also to stress the importance of adhering to the BTD that is provided to you at the time a transaction is put into a Delay status. The Brady Act does not federally prohibit an FFL from transferring a firearm after the third business day expires, even if the NICS Section has been unable to provide a proceed response, pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 922(t)(1).

We appreciate your patience and partnership during this critical time and potential impact to NICS operations.

Nothing on the PICS site other than they were overwhelmed and trying to work through it. Last update was 3/18

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2020, 07:51   #13
Bawana jim
Registered

Reading that it looks like an FFL then only has to follow state laws. Kali has a 10 day wait period but Oregon doesnt. Yet they are ordering the businesses closed that are non essential.
Old March 22, 2020, 10:09   #14
croftonaviation
Living the dream
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64580
Yesterday was busy as all hell again. We ran no less than 60 background checks and nics ran pretty smooth. We only has about a 20 minute window it was down. Our stores have gotten no word on any delay in the 3 business day transfer. So far so good, at least here in AZ. Time will tell, I am sure the 3-400% rise in gun sales is freaking out the deep state. I suspect if they can figure out how to shut it down they will. Of course by next weekend all I will have left in stock is the real crap.
"They will live a long time, these men of the South Pacific. They had an American quality. They, like their victories, will be remembered as long as our generation lives. After that, like the men of the Confederacy, they will become strangers. Longer and longer shadows will obscure them, until their Guadalcanal sounds distant on the ear, like Shiloh and Valley Forge.”

James Michener, Tales of the South Pacific.
croftonaviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2020, 15:13   #15
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by croftonaviation View Post
Yesterday was busy as all hell again. We ran no less than 60 background checks and nics ran pretty smooth. We only has about a 20 minute window it was down. Our stores have gotten no word on any delay in the 3 business day transfer. So far so good, at least here in AZ. Time will tell, I am sure the 3-400% rise in gun sales is freaking out the deep state. I suspect if they can figure out how to shut it down they will. Of course by next weekend all I will have left in stock is the real crap.
As the stupidity of the clueless continues to spiral downward and they figure out that guns might be useful and that food does not just magically appear at the corner market, you can add another $100 to the prices of "the real crap" and probably still sell it.

Throw in a free roll of toilet paper and a doughnut, then you can probably sell Raven 25 cal's for $300
Old March 22, 2020, 15:31   #16
Falcon
Curio & Relic
Contributor

FALaholic #: 2049
... when state offices are closed, it does not constitute a “business day” for purposes of calculating the “three business days” period before an FFL may transfer a firearm to a non-licensee as mandated by the Brady Act.

The three-business-day timeframe does not begin until relevant state offices are open for business. Additionally, because of the dramatic increase in volume, it is important to recognize that FBI staff may not be able to begin their research on delayed transactions as they normally would. It’s up to the FFL’s discretion, but they may want to consider waiting on a definitive response from the NICS before opting to proceed with a sale on any delayed transaction.

Source:https://www.nssf.org/what-ffls-need-to-know-right-now/
Old March 23, 2020, 15:47   #17
MACV
Registered

FALaholic #: 1167
My NICS check went thru the following day.
Old March 23, 2020, 16:44   #18
2barearms
Registered
Contributor

Looks like the delay is over.....

Old March 23, 2020, 17:08   #19
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2barearms View Post
Looks like the delay is over.....
Not here...

Colorado has 12860 checks in queue, with an estimated wait time of 4 days and 3 hours...

Here, we're told that the three business day 'rule' doesn't apply until the background check drops out of the queue and begins 'processing'...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2020, 18:52   #20
jjjxlr8
Registered

FALaholic #: 34903
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
Not here...

Colorado has 12860 checks in queue, with an estimated wait time of 4 days and 3 hours...

Here, we're told that the three business day 'rule' doesn't apply until the background check drops out of the queue and begins 'processing'...

Forrest
You need to find a different FFL. 3 days is it. They have 3 days to complete the check after which you should be able to receive your firearm.
jjjxlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2020, 19:24   #21
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjxlr8 View Post
You need to find a different FFL. 3 days is it. They have 3 days to complete the check after which you should be able to receive your firearm.
Well, I am the FFL...

You do what you need to do...

Forrest
Old March 24, 2020, 17:32   #22
WESOMATIC
Registered

FALaholic #: 75796
I did a multiple today (2 handguns). Took about 20 minutes.
Old March 24, 2020, 17:40   #23
Sig220
Registered

FALaholic #: 11622
Quote:
Well, I am the FFL...

You do what you need to do...

Forrest

Saw that coming.........started to get some popcorn!
Old March 24, 2020, 18:09   #24
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjxlr8 View Post
By the way, in all fairness, my reading of the regulation agrees with yours...

'Submitted' means entered into the system (in queue) and has nothing directly to do with how long 'they' take to drop it into processing.

Then again, they'll make it mean what they want. It's probably a moot point anyway since it's pretty clear that they (the Feds) plan to shut NICS down anyway. They've already discussed extending 3 days to whatever. It may be illegal to do that, but, well, you know...

Forrest
Old March 25, 2020, 10:05   #25
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
My LGS in NYS told me he got a letter from the ATF, shutting down transfers for 5 days, due to backlog. He said to try him in 3 more days.
V guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2020, 15:45   #26
harleyrider
Where’d I set my drink?
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 55746
I bought a gun from out of state a couple days ago. My transfer dealer has his shop closed due to Governors EO. However he said they are opening the shop when they know delivery will be made. I asked the shop I bought it from to coordinate w/ my dealer so that he knows when it will arrive. This might take a week or so, so hopefully the NCIS land rush will have subsided by then.

HR
Old March 25, 2020, 22:40   #27
the gman
Registered

FALaholic #: 5179
After the last fiasco with waiting on hold for 2 hours to get the transfer done, I simply signed up with E-NICS. Did one today and it took all of 1 minute for it to come back approved. More e checks for me...

God is on the side, not of the big battalions, but of the best shots- Voltaire

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
the gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2020, 04:37   #28
autosear
Registered

FALaholic #: 82892
I picked up a firearm the other day and got a quick proceed. I talked to the dealer and he said he got a large amount of delays last week but that it's started to normalize since then. Hopefully the FBI is getting things under control.
autosear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2020, 16:35   #29
2barearms
Registered
Contributor

Looks like nics will be down all weekend.....another delayed transfer today until April 22.......

Old March 27, 2020, 16:45   #30
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2barearms View Post
Looks like nics will be down all weekend.....another delayed transfer today until April 22.......
I recall helping a FFL friend of mine and he said the long delays were the buyers fault because they didn't have a clear record. They may owe child support or traffic fines or haven't changed their address from another state but in general it's the buyer who didn't keep his nose clean.

Had a fellow buy an SKS that was a ball player for UofO that right away they did a months delay when there wasn't even a back up of buyers. Guy fugged around for a month and couldn't get his crap together then begged for his money back.
Old March 27, 2020, 16:50   #31
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
I picked up an unfired 75B and a P01. Then I reached lower and picked up a 1919a4 and a 191916 and a pair of Mg34. Then I went to the other safe and picked up a G1 and three Garands. No NICS no delay.
Old March 27, 2020, 16:50   #32
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
I recall helping a FFL friend of mine and he said the long delays were the buyers fault because they didn't have a clear record. They may owe child support or traffic fines or haven't changed their address from another state but in general it's the buyer who didn't keep his nose clean.

Had a fellow buy an SKS that was a ball player for UofO that right away they did a months delay when there wasn't even a back up of buyers. Guy fugged around for a month and couldn't get his crap together then begged for his money back.
While that may occasionally be true, most of this is not that...

Let's let the blame fall where it's due, gov...

Forrest
Old March 27, 2020, 17:22   #33
2barearms
Registered
Contributor

The guy today that was hit with the delay was shipping 2 AKs from himself in Oregone to himself in Texas.......my buddy told him to simply ship them to himself and not to an FFL.......now they are hung up for around a month....

Old March 27, 2020, 18:17   #34
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
While that may occasionally be true, most of this is not that...

Let's let the blame fall where it's due, gov...

Forrest
Well of course government is the problem but folks make more problems for themselves by not keeping their record clean. Government loves to find a fault and first thing to learn is don't give them a reason.

I tend to think it's the liberal hobbyist in gun owners that don't understand government and with a lot of new liberal buyers they crash a system. The guy that bought the SKS was going to school here but was from another state. He didn't know the rules and filled out the form incorrectly and ended up not able to legally buy in Oregon.

This furthered his education some.
Old March 27, 2020, 19:10   #35
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abominog View Post
I picked up an unfired 75B and a P01. Then I reached lower and picked up a 1919a4 and a 191916 and a pair of Mg34. Then I went to the other safe and picked up a G1 and three Garands. No NICS no delay.
Impressive. Over here two handguns in one sitting lead to record being sent to sheriff (https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/...firearms-sales)
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2020, 20:36   #36
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
Impressive. Over here two handguns in one sitting lead to record being sent to sheriff (https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/...firearms-sales)
Not if you pick them up out of your safes to fondle...

Forrest