Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > The Sharper Side

Notices

Old March 24, 2020, 17:29   #1
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Lansky Shapening Kit Found!

I got the kit with the guide rods and 3 stones about 30 years ago. Never really used it much but wanted to try it again a year or so. Trouble was that I couldn't find it. Well I found it in a box of stuff out in the shed.

The fine stone has come off the the handle. Pretty much epoxied. Guess the age broke it down. Any ideas on an epoxy to reattach? Any tricks to really using this set up efficiently? These sharpeners aren't cheap. Glad I found it.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2020, 17:59   #2
TerryN
Registered

FALaholic #: 55
I would pick a slow-curing epoxy (24-hour type). Clean all residue off the stone and holder, apply epoxy and clamp the stone in place with a spring loaded clamp. FWIW, replacement parts are easily available on Amazon, among other places.
Old March 24, 2020, 18:25   #3
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryN View Post
I would pick a slow-curing epoxy (24-hour type). Clean all residue off the stone and holder, apply epoxy and clamp the stone in place with a spring loaded clamp. FWIW, replacement parts are easily available on Amazon, among other places.
Copy sir. All the parts are there and perfect condition. I would rather use this one. I'll take your advice and just sand the old stuff off. I'm going to try to learn how to use it. I'm bad about when a knife gets dull getting a new one

Old March 25, 2020, 09:16   #4
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
One of my Lansky stones fell apart too, the white one I believe. I stuck it back on with Gorilla Wood Glue. I did clean the gluing surfaces with alcohol first. I figured to redo the job permanently with a suitable epoxy but the thing is still stuck on there quite well. Wrong glue for the purpose I would think, but Gorilla is pretty good stuff.

I like the Lansky for setting up the primary bevel on a new blade. After that I sharpen free hand on Bench Stones.

I would recommend getting some Lansky diamond stones for a blade with some of the Gee-whiz steels in use these days., D2, ATS 34 and the like.

I find the Bench Mount handy too. I built my own from a scrap of wood and a Carriage bolt until I found a Lansky for cheap at a Gunshow.
Old March 25, 2020, 20:00   #5
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
One of my Lansky stones fell apart too, the white one I believe. I stuck it back on with Gorilla Wood Glue. I did clean the gluing surfaces with alcohol first. I figured to redo the job permanently with a suitable epoxy but the thing is still stuck on there quite well. Wrong glue for the purpose I would think, but Gorilla is pretty good stuff.

I like the Lansky for setting up the primary bevel on a new blade. After that I sharpen free hand on Bench Stones.

I would recommend getting some Lansky diamond stones for a blade with some of the Gee-whiz steels in use these days., D2, ATS 34 and the like.

I find the Bench Mount handy too. I built my own from a scrap of wood and a Carriage bolt until I found a Lansky for cheap at a Gunshow.
I used the rough stone to rough up the handle and back of the stone. Had a left over squirt thing of epoxy and mixed it and slathered it on. Clamped it after 4 hours and reclamped...looking better than factory. I may be asking more questions on bolting it down on the bench. I've never used it. Thanks

Old March 25, 2020, 21:25   #6
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
You tube has good videos on your sharpener.