The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > The Great Outdoors

Notices

Old February 14, 2020, 09:16   #1
BarnOwlLover
Registered

FALaholic #: 81552
Owls

I don't know if this fits best here or in Non-Fireams Discussion. But I live in a pretty rural area, which means forest and woods, which means birds of prey, namely owls.

I've never been able to see an owl in person in the wild, though I've heard them. Mostly Screech Owls, Barred Owls and Great Horned Owls.

I'd like to be able to see and hear a Barn Owl in the wild, but they're not common around here and I've only been able to see some in person at the local bird sanctuary and the Akron Zoo.

BTW, Barn Owls don't hoot:

Also, a behavior shown by Barn Owls (and other Tyto Owls) is known as toedusting. No, that's not a foot fetish term, but rather a threat/defensive posture that Barn Owls do when they feel threatened, angry or frustrated.

BarnOwlLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2020, 09:25   #2
starbuck
Registered

FALaholic #: 26466
In my opinion running across a barn owl in the day is quite disturbing. They are like a small living poop staring at you quietly. Pretty sure seeing one is bad juju in some cultures.
Old February 14, 2020, 09:31   #3
easttex
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20438
My wife found an owl one night!

She'd just come home from the grocery store and spilled something in the back that made a mess. After unloading the car, she got out the shop vac to tidy up the back of her SUV. About the time she switched it on, she let out scream that made my blood run cold. She flew into the house, passed me like a bolt of lightning, and all but hid under the bed. "OMG! THERE'S SOMETHING OUT THERE!!!"

So, being the dutiful husband, I grabbed a shotgun and flashlight and went to investigate. As it turns out, a large owl had landed in the oak tree off our bedroom while she was unloading the car. Evidently, he took umbrage at the racket our shop vac makes and voiced his objection very loudly - which in turn, scared my wife half to death.

I calmed her down and got her outside to see the owl. He posed for a moment to allow us a good view, then silently flew off into the night. We had a good laugh about it - but she waited until the morning to finish vacuuming the car.

Molon labe
easttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2020, 10:21   #4
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Night before last, happened to look out the back kitchen window and there sit a Barred Owl on a low branch of an Apple tree about 25' away.
Said he was waiting for any mouse that came to eat the birdfeed I put out.

I wished him "good hunting". btw; He didn't give a hoot.

The next day, there was a Bald Eagle sitting on a low branch in the tree at the end of the driveway.

Is there something going on I should know 'bout?
Old February 14, 2020, 10:30   #5
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
My wife and I were sitting outside on the deck one evening. We were having a few drinks and enjoying the night. Looking around, I saw something perched on a utility pole maybe a hundred yards away. "Look! There's a big owl perched up there on that pole." Every time a car passed, I could see that bird standing on the pole. Finally, I got a spot light out and threw the beam up that pole. Sure enough, up on that pole...there sat the transformer. Yep. That was the "big ol' owl" I was seeing. Yes sir. I am quite the naturalist I am.

– Harry Truman

"The rock of democracy will founder when people think of people unlike themselves as the "other"-Teddy Roosevelt

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

Know your rights; the future is unwritten.
Texgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2020, 18:11   #6
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Was out walking the dog in the ‘hood one night when an Owl let out a screech from a tree just over my head. I jumped clean out of my skin for a second there. I hate feeling like prey.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2020, 18:50   #7
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Back in the summer I was down on the back part of the property. I keep it sort of wild. Anyway this hawk was raising hell, and I saw what he was raising hell about. Huge owl about 2ft tall setting in the oak tree. The hawk came in at the owl and tried to hit him while he was perched on the limb. The hawk made his run from behind and that ole owl just shrugged him off and the hawk glanced off of him.

Well owl went to a different tree. Hawk still giving him hell screaming from the next tree over. Finally owl had had enough. He went after that hawk and flew probably 3 feet over my head gliding through the woods as he was swooping down at the hawk trying to get airborne and taking off through the woods under the canopy. I was amazed the skill that owl displayed flying low after that hawk. Hawk wanted no part of that owl and was high tailing his ass out of there. So yes I've seen an owl doing what they do. Amazing birds.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2020, 20:23   #8
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Being a bird lover and "parent" to several parrots, I think owls are very very cool. Beautiful animals.
Not overly smart in the scheme of birdy things, but definitely cool. I used to help at a bird rehab center and the owls were always a favorite, especially when a rehab went well and we could release them back into the wild.

Transformer owl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-GFZ4bdSiQ

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2020, 20:38   #9
Sig220
Registered

FALaholic #: 11622
Had at least 2 owls in the oak tree near my bedroom window a couple of nights ago.
I believe they were practicing for Valentine's Day.......one would do the standard call and the second would answer with almost a purring call. Heavily rolling the "r's". It woke me up but was soothing to hear.
Old February 14, 2020, 22:33   #10
Sagerider
Registered

FALaholic #: 66564
You sure they weren’t Mexicans? Just a thought.

Matthew 25:1 thru 25:10 Be ready!

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.
Sagerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2020, 23:48   #11
Sig220
Registered

FALaholic #: 11622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagerider View Post
You sure they weren’t Mexicans? Just a thought.
Yep I am sure.
Barred owls......

Go to www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/barred_owlt/sounds

Scroll down and listen to "duet" the last owl call in that clip is what i call rolling the "r's".

We have had Hispanics here for generations, btw.
Old February 15, 2020, 00:41   #12
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Many years ago, we saw two large owls that were apparently mating in mid-flight. One flew from a large tree branch in our back yard and mounted another owl in flight. They hung together for just a moment, screaming and screeching for all the world just like two cats.

– Harry Truman

"The rock of democracy will founder when people think of people unlike themselves as the "other"-Teddy Roosevelt

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

Know your rights; the future is unwritten.
Texgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2020, 20:47   #13
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
have several different owls that show up from time to time

all kinds of hawks and crows that mess w/ them

mature bald eagles drop by from time to time, they are easy to spot, massive wing span
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2020, 21:01   #14
hkshooter
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Love owls. Simply amazing birds.

I'm happy to see the Bald Eagle population growing around here, too. I've went years between sightings until a couple years ago. Now I see them probably once a week, and up close sometimes, too. Another amazing bird.

Hawks are all over, red tails have been prolific here for ages as well as smaller raptors.
Old February 18, 2020, 11:09   #15
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Owl extremes....

When I was a teen my grandfather retired and my grandparents decided to move to the country, about 60 miles north of Houston. They bought a piece of forest and started clearing a spot for the house. We'd go up, camp there at night, work during the day. Mom and Dad had an RV, as did my grandparents. Well my brother was given a kitten, and we took it with us. That night we're all sitting around when my grandfather gives the "quiet" finger over the lips and points up into the tree. There sat the largest Great Horned owl I've ever seen, easily 3ft tall. The kitten stayed in the RV after that.

Just a few months ago I'm wrapping up an oil change on the wife's Jeep, right at dusk. Hear an odd, occasional, single chirp (quite similar to the annoyance from a smoke detector with a low battery) from above me. By the time I get all everything buttoned up and tools put away it's dark. Still hearing the chirp I break out the flashlight to see the cutest little owl, maybe 6" tall, sitting on the limb right above where I was working. Went to get the camera and it took off as I was walking back outside; guess it didn't care for paparazzi.
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2020, 13:46   #16
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
I hear them at night during the summer; have only seen one years ago, maybe.
V guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2020, 21:29   #17
308/223shooter
FALaholic Enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Bastards eat my cats and chickens.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.

Women are dangerous. All warm, soft and cuddly on the outside, and berserker, Ragnarok crazy upstairs in the control room.
308/223shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2020, 23:13   #18
BarnOwlLover
Registered

This is a Barred Owl demonstrating a trail common to all owls, the ability to rotate their heads 270 degrees.

These owls are common in Ohio and throughout much of North America. I've heard them at night on occasion, but only been able to see one in person at the local bird sanctuary.

Baby Barn Owls at the age where they're still fuzz balls but their facial discs have developed:

Very little baby Barn Owl:

Calls of various Tyto (Barn) Owls:

Old February 24, 2020, 18:24   #19
BarnOwlLover
Registered

Common North American Owl calls:

Old February 25, 2020, 10:15   #20
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
I have Great Horned Owls around. Have seen them twice close up at dusk and they are pretty damn big.
wanneroo is offline   Reply With Quote