The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 22 Files

Notices

Old December 19, 2019, 17:04   #1
Leed709
Registered

FALaholic #: 36213
BSA Martini Henry

Got word and tracking no# that my xmas has been shipped and will be here on the 23 of Dec. I been searching the internet for more information on this rifle. The rifle has a 25 inch barrel with blade front sight. All I can find is all of the Martini Henry 22 lr. have 28 inch barrels and a hooded target front sight. The stock is straight with a brass inlay on both sides with what looks like arrows heads pointed in 4 different directions on 1 side. On the other side has brass inlay that I don't know how to describe. Still don't know what model or the year this model was made. The serial no# is 371xx. Anyone that might more info on this rifle would be appreciated. Thinks Leed709
Leed709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2019, 16:37   #2
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
really depends

BSA made a variety of Martini variants in small frames and also converted large frames to .22RF for commonwealth rifle clubs
do you know whether it's an antique pre 1899 gun ?

Generally BSA shortened large frame MH service rifles relining the bores to .22RF and altering the rear sight
you need to narrow it down some for me friend
Riversidesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2019, 02:30   #3
Leed709
Registered

BSA Martini Henry

Don't think this was a large frame cut down. Only seen pictures from the auction site. The left side of receiver has the BSA logo and a large knob. The barrel has a blade front site. The rear peep sight is mounted on the straight stock and folds down. The butt plastic with the BSA logo. On both sides of the stock is a brass inlay. The inlay could be a sport club or maybe military. The sn# is 371xx. Should have more info tuesday when I pick the rifle up. Leed709
Old December 22, 2019, 15:36   #4
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leed709 View Post
Don't think this was a large frame cut down. Only seen pictures from the auction site. The left side of receiver has the BSA logo and a large knob. The barrel has a blade front site. The rear peep sight is mounted on the straight stock and folds down. The butt plastic with the BSA logo. On both sides of the stock is a brass inlay. The inlay could be a sport club or maybe military. The sn# is 371xx. Should have more info tuesday when I pick the rifle up. Leed709
Sounds likely to be a small frame BSA then

The "knob" maybe a take down screw so you can rapidly remove the barrel assm.

BSA put out a variety of small frame actions ranging from the .310 Cadet up to their incredible International target rifle
back in the 90s quite a pile of various BSAs came in from rifle clubs in the UK, Australia and elsewhere...Century was the big importer back then

The BSA small frames were initially based off Greener Rook rifle designs
basically small game and Crow rifles in various English small bore center fires
Greener made the raw actions however you will find them branded by Webley, Westley Richards, etc

anyways, when you can post pix up I should be able to help better
right now I'm just guessing

Oh' you start to get into this try to find a Vickers
they are seriously a neat variation on the Martini design
Old December 23, 2019, 21:55   #5
Leed709
Registered

BSA Martini Henry

Got notified that my rifle was ready to picks up. Barrel is 25 inches long with blade front sight nice shinney bore not relined. No import markings on barrel only the BSA logo, sn# and 220 lr proofing stamps and a stamp that looks like a circle with a arrow head in it. The receiver is 1 1/8 inches wide. The right side of receiver has BSA logo and a round knob. The left side of the receiver has a round knob and a circle with a arrow head inside of it. Rear sight is parker hale. Straight stock with brass inlet on both side. Butt plate is plastic with BSA logo.
Old December 26, 2019, 22:19   #6
Leed709
Registered

BSA Martini Henry

Spent some time today cleaning the rifle. I said in the previous post that the rear sight was Parker Hale. I was wrong. The back side of the base is marked BSA and the eye disk is marked Parker Hale on the back. I've been looking at the stamp that I said that looked like a large circle with a arrow head inside of it. The more I look at it, it is possibly a large C with a arrow head inside of it.
Old December 27, 2019, 11:43   #7
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

again, post up some pix

that width of receiver sounds more large frame than cadet

BSA was tremendous on their relines, it's often difficult to see the work. They used rather large diameter liners, not the pidley 3/8" rifled tubes we use here

is the rear sight mounted on the receiver then ?
BSA made a variety of micrometer rears, Parker Hale had all sorts of target disks and front sights

The "arrow" you mention is the standard MoD acceptance mark best known as the Broad Arrow
well that's just a guess without viewing your example
if the frame is Broad Arrow stamped it's even more likely it started life as a short lever .450/577 MH army rifle but again it's hard for me to call just on a written description

BSA .22 actions are rather petite
if your action looks capable of a much larger case diameter it's likely a large frame conversion branded by BSA
Old December 27, 2019, 16:07   #8
Leed709
Registered

BSA Martini Henry

Sorry the reason I have not posted picture is I don't know how. I've been looking at pictures on some of the web sites and I think this is a model 8 or 12 with a 25" barrel. The rear folding sight is mounted on the receiver. I haven't taken the rifle completly apart yet. I think this is a take down model due to the fact it has a slotted knob on both side of receiver. I'm trying to find a video of how to disassembly the rifle. I will try to post some pictures as soon as my daughter comes to visit. She knows how to post pictures.
Old December 27, 2019, 19:24   #9
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

should be able to unscrew the right side "nut" and just break it apart
Old January 01, 2020, 17:01   #10
Leed709
Registered

Talking BSA Martini Henry

Took advice and disassemble the rifle. Its a take down model. The barrel sn#3715X is 25 inches long and on the top is marked The Birmingham Small Arms Co LTD Cartridge 220 long rifle. On the bottom of the barrel is marked Jessops Fluid Pressed Steel and other numerous small symbols. On the trigger housing all the sn# are stamped 3715x.The receiver has the BSA logo on the left side and what looks like a large C with a arrow head inside of it. The sn# 3715x is stamped on the front of receiver where the barrel unscrews. Other than being a little dirty the rifle is in perfect condition except fof a small chip on the top of butt plate.
Old January 02, 2020, 18:37   #11
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

all sounds proper for a mid frame, it will be one fine shooting rifle for you.

Best guess ?
1920s to 30s production
post war BSA resumed some small frame manufacture, mostly heavy target guns like the International series

No import stamps leans me toward it coming in from Canada which was pretty common.

How much you shell out for this little gem ?
Old January 03, 2020, 01:30   #12
Leed709
Registered

BSA Martini Henry

Won on The linkout auction group in Pearisburg VA for $440.00 plus auction fee and shipping. Total cost was a little over $500.00. Still trying to figure out what the brass inlay on each side of stock is. The only defect I could find on this rifle was a small chip at the top of plastic butt plate. I've been looking on the web to try and find a new butt plate, but no luck yet. This rifle was my xmas and birthday present. Hope you had a great xmas and wishing you a happy near year. Leed709