The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > News & Political Discussion > Police Issues

Notices

Old December 12, 2019, 16:28   #1
wyatt earp
Registered

FALaholic #: 8158
Florida UPS truck shootout 12/5/19

I'm surprised no one on the board posted about this shooting.

Here is the background: 2 guys rob or attempt to rob a jewelry store in Coral Gables FL and an employee is shot as the store owner engages the suspects with a firearm. The suspects then hijack a UPS truck and holds the driver at gunpoint. The driver is sitting on the floor of the truck as one of the suspects drives and another holds a gun to the drivers head. Cops chase the truck for miles until it finally gets boxed in by rush hour traffic. Law enforcement then swarm the truck (it is alleged the suspects fired first) and open fire with everything they have from two angles ventilating the truck, killing everyone inside and a driver caught in traffic.

Can some of you LEO's on this board please enlighten us as to what the hell just happened here? Insane!!!!

Old December 12, 2019, 18:28   #2
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
They must be taking notes/training from the Russian po-po.

Jarhead
Old December 12, 2019, 21:28   #3
lpcullen
Registered

FALaholic #: 63924
That's really crazy.
lpcullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2019, 05:34   #4
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Corrupt third-world Latin American country populated by people with similar values, including LE.

Anyone remember this one in Miami?

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/12/1...wild-shootout/

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2019, 14:28   #5
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
Driver was likely dead already.........good that the Cops finished off the scum.
V guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2019, 17:19   #6
garandguy10
Registered

FALaholic #: 10840
Quote:
Originally Posted by V guy View Post
Driver was likely dead already.........good that the Cops finished off the scum.
Looks to me like the UPS driver was very much alive and died in a hail of police bullets, a motorist died as well, probably by a police bullet(s).

What about all the motorists that are in the line of police fire? I guess them making it home that day was not important to the police.

This is a perfect example of police stupidity, and that they are as much as a danger to citizens as the supposed "bad guys".
garandguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2019, 17:24   #7
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Cops taking cover behind occupied vehicles is no different than using a human shield. That was pisser for me.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2019, 20:19   #8
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by V guy View Post
probably not V

falls mostly on to the Felony Murder rule
basically stated when LE light shit up and murder hostages, well it's the perps fault not the pigger with a machinegun praying and spraying

It at best becomes a civil matter with often huge settlements quietly paid out due to hero coppers
Riversidesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2019, 23:27   #9
base704
Vampire Pilot
Contributor

FALaholic #: 14321
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandguy10 View Post

What about all the motorists that are in the line of police fire? I guess them making it home that day was not important to the police.
Just like the two examples we saw (somewhat) recently, where the cops were shooting through the windshield during car chases.
Lotsa people around were subject to becoming unnecessary collateral damage.
IIRC, one of the two shot their way through a school zone.
Seems I also recall some folks here couldn’t praise the men enough for their heroic actions.
"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
-Ayn Rand, "The Nature of Government"
base704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2019, 09:36   #10
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
The autopsy results should show who died of what bullets. Information had enough time to be released publicly. Where is it?
Whydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2019, 12:23   #11
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
People die; living in America has a price, freedom has a price, as does an armed society.

Crime is going to increase everywhere this next year, as the "have-nots" attack in force, to get "equality and reparations", and the libs try their best to disarm everyone.
V guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2019, 13:01   #12
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Carjackers were shouting at police during 26 mile chase. Where were all those rounds going?

The vehicle came to a stop in traffic. Carjackers were now static, shooting in multiple directions at police, through population dense static traffic, There was an imminent threat to the public.

We can talk all day about what the police officers did wrong. How do you suggest the police could have mitigated the threat differently?
Old December 15, 2019, 13:32   #13
garandguy10
Registered

FALaholic #: 10840
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw View Post
Carjackers were shouting at police during 26 mile chase. Where were all those rounds going?

The vehicle came to a stop in traffic. Carjackers were now static, shooting in multiple directions at police, through population dense static traffic, There was an imminent threat to the public.

We can talk all day about what the police officers did wrong. How do you suggest the police could have mitigated the threat differently?
The police could have terminated the chase and used a helicopter or drones to follow the carjackers, thus discouraging the carjackers from firing at police ground vehicles, or just terminated the chase due to the danger it created to the public. What the police did here was stupid beyond belief and the police endangered innocents much more than the carjackers ever did.

I sincerely hope that if the bullets that killed the UPS driver and the motorist are found to be from police weapons, that the bullets are traced back to the officers that fired them and they are prosecuted criminally, sentenced to very long prison terms, and their pensions be granted to the families of their victims. I also hope that the families of the police victims, and those that they endangered win massive monetary damages from the state, county and cities that employed these morons. That would help all LEO's to learn proper behavior.
garandguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2019, 14:49   #14
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by garandguy10 View Post

I sincerely hope that if the bullets that killed the UPS driver and the motorist are found to be from police weapons...
Sums up your angle. You have no nothing to offer other than blind angst and ignorance. Your argument is mute.
Old December 15, 2019, 15:03   #15
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
Sums up your angle.
Obtuse ? Does it require a cosine-r ?

Quote:
You have no nothing to offer other than blind angst and ignorance. Your argument is mute.

( ? )

Mebbe he should type louder.

Ohhh...moot.

Old December 15, 2019, 15:31   #16
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb59 View Post
Obtuse ? Does it require a cosine-r ?

( ? )

Mebbe he should type louder.

Ohhh...moot.
Something like that.
Old December 15, 2019, 17:28   #17
Southern 7.62
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 79321
I knew I shoulda shipped FedEx instead. Damn.
Southern 7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2019, 17:28   #18
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Ji am amazed how few UPS trucks get hijacked on a daily basis. Lots of jewelry stores use them and know one store the regularly gets six figures in unmounted diamonds weekly on their UPS truck along with over $100,000 in silver and gold bullion coming in new for sale or going out as scrap to be melted down on weekly deliveries. Would not take someone with average intelligence to figure out the routine of a mega jewelry store or other high value retailers shipping schedule and catch their UPS driver soon after leaving terminal.

Amazes me how little delivery hijacking is actually done. Over half the pharmacies in my home town are restocked by the same white 25 foot box truck every day. Big shipments hit Thursday or Friday morning so pharmacies have medsome to fill as people get paid on Friday pus enough stock to get them throught the weekend as no deliveries on Saturday or Sunday. Hit that truck as makes its exit off the interstate in the morning on way to first stop seems Ike something that would be regular occurance.

Seems like most go for tractor trailers as that is regular business. Hijacking road tractors is easy pickings with no firearms allowed for driver and usually contents are unloaded and moved into fleet of smaller vehicles within minutes of hijack so by time the logistics company notices something is up when the GPS tracking is showing truck not moving and driver not answering phone load has been gone and empty truck is on back a lot in industrial park.

If preps were shooting indiscriminately out of vehicle it's a tough call for the cops. Take covertly preps runout of ammo hitting bystanders or try to take them down? I think cops should have at leaSt double the training in shooting and tactics that they get minimum. The Georgia annual qualification course is almost a joke. Can drop every shot at 25 yards and if do well from 15 yards inot 3 yards will still pass. No cop should have a rifle (especially select fire) without extensive training.

I watched the video off dash cams from over twenty pice cars following a shooting where local man with a knife on front porch of his house was shot 27 times and died at the hospital. No comand to fire ws given ashe was staying on his porch and communicting with the negotiator trying to get him to surrender. All this stemmed from a domestic call.

Framed in one camera was a mid twenties deputy who was ~5' 9" and ~275 pounds who once first round ws fired began a mag dump and had his eyes closed, head turned 90 degrees away from perp and after his mag went dry he kept trying to pull trigger on pistol with slide locked back till another officer came and took his gun one all shooting stopped. Well over a dozen officers fired on man with over 200 rounds fired and only 27 hitting perp while his family was in the house.

Believe first shot came from rookie who was riding the trigger heavy on his Glock due to adrenaline and added just enough pressure to trip the sear. Once first shot fired it began a hail of fire from over half the cops on the scene. I knew three there well of which none discharged their weapons as felt they nor any other cop was in actual danger when shooting started. Most rounds hit arms, legs, hands and abdomen thus perp lived all the way to the hospital and died on the surgical table. Poor tactics, poor marksmanship and poor leadership. Investigation ruled it a good shoot and except for some private @$$ chewings no cops had a thing said about them publicly except for their heroic efforts in a life threatening situation.

Have been carrying a pistol in my own credit since age 12 and have had a few encounters where could have taken a legal shot as was in situation could argue life was in danger but by either moving laterally out of line of fire or using my firearm with strong verbal commands was able to diffuse the situation or get out of harms way. Been so many shootings around here where per was shot in back by person who caught them in at of stealing and shot them while running away then felt they were persecuted for protecting their property. I sometimes wonder if training or at least a manual of what defines a good shoot versus a bad shoot shold be issued with everyone sold. It would add maybe three bucks to price of gun? If owner didn't read it then has nothing to whine about if makes a bad shoot. Cops need way more training, especially under stress from what I seem to see on news and in life.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2019, 20:37   #19
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern 7.62 View Post
I knew I shoulda shipped FedEx instead. Damn.
Does that make the shipped rifle a "backfield pick-up?" Value increased 1000%.
Old December 15, 2019, 20:58   #20
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Ji am amazed how few UPS trucks get hijacked on a daily basis.
I can tell you why.

But that would make me a "bad guy" if he eyes of some... especially the liberal base that coddles society's deviants.

Situations like this are ugly.... and isolated.... and as a result, frequently a shit show.

It is easy to suggest what went wrong It is significantly more difficult to discuss what could have been done better. Regardless of how LE learns, evolves, and trains, when dealing with criminals who operate with zero concern for "the rules" or human life, the "ideal" outcome is often unattainable.
Old December 16, 2019, 18:01   #21
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
Quote:
I can tell you why.

But that would make me a "bad guy" if he eyes of some... especially the liberal base that coddles society's deviants.
Are the trucks stick shift and black dudes don't know how to drive stick shift?

I don't know if that would be true - lots of black gentlemen driving delivery trucks here in Georgia making an honest living.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote