Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Bolt Action Files

Notices

Old February 21, 2020, 22:04   #1
308/223shooter
FALaholic Enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Anyone shooting .257 Roberts?

Would like to hear some real world users opinions on the caliber. I have a Savage target rifle in this caliber, and haven't shot it. Would just as soon sell it instead, unless I can be convinced otherwise.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.

Women are dangerous. All warm, soft and cuddly on the outside, and berserker, Ragnarok crazy upstairs in the control room.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2020, 23:52   #2
johnnycobra
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 26209
Quote:
Originally Posted by 308/223shooter View Post
Would like to hear some real world users opinions on the caliber. I have a Savage target rifle in this caliber, and haven't shot it. Would just as soon sell it instead, unless I can be convinced otherwise.
Iíve only shot a 257 Roberts once. A converted Mauser, BUT I also have an irrational fear that 243 is the wrong side of just right for deer, thanks to my Dad.

Therefore, the 257 Roberts is a logical choice for a hair more gooder than 243 all around (a little heavier bullet choice and tiny more cross section to make it feel like it will do the job to make my dad happy )

Not sure Iíd pick it for target shooting or volume shooting, but hunting it gets cool guy points for nostalgia, pedigree, and youíll probably actually have to get off your butt and reload for it if you use it much.

If I didnít switch to 6.5x55 a long time ago, Iíd have picked .260, roberts, 7mm-08 or 7mm Mauser as my favorite bolt action round next to 308. Just because I like offbeat stuff but not so far I have to get custom dies, barrels, firestorm brass, etc. if I was practical, Iíd dump the Swedish for Creedmoor, but thatís not happening in my house for now.

257 Roberts is more a lifestyle than a rifle cartridge.
johnnycobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2020, 08:35   #3
yovinny
Old Fart
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
A HB varmint rifle ?
Its said to be an awesome long range varmint round, but my only experience is building a 98 mauser, working up a load and using it on a couple of deer over the years.
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2020, 08:49   #4
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Great deer killer, dripping with nostalgia in a gun from its era of early glory.
Would love to have a lightweight blue and dark walnut specimen.

Not so much in stainless or plastic with matte oxide.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2020, 10:07   #5
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
As a light weight hunting rifle, hell yes. Target rifle? No, thanks anyway.

In my youth, we had a local gunsmith, name of Davy Crockett. No shit, real name. Dave had a 257 Roberts that he built on an Orbendorf 98 Mauser action. Beautiful rifle and very accurate with Dave pulling the trigger, me, not so much, but good enough to impress me.
I wanted a 257 Roberts, if and when I ever had any money and didn't need to eat.
Like JohnnyC said, I ended up with a 243 Win, 6.5x55, 7mm Mauser and everything else, but there's still a hole in my gun rack where a 257 Roberts should be.

I think there is a Quarterbore.com forum out there somewhere, or used to be anyway.
Old February 22, 2020, 10:40   #6
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20461
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
Great deer killer, dripping with nostalgia in a gun from its era of early glory.

At one time a friend of mine owned a 257 Roberts built by P.O. Ackley. If I had to describe a perfect hunting rifle this would have been it. It was built from an FN Mauser action and had a Lyman rear adjustable peep sight. The barrel was marked PO Ackley and the action was marked under the wood with Ackley's info and date he built it. It wasn't fancy but it was well balanced, shouldered like a dream and shot very well. The wood was fitted so tight to the action you would have sworn the stock was permanently bedded. Every time I got it in my hands he had to pry it away from me.

Ard Choille!
skeeterbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2020, 10:40   #7
yovinny
Old Fart
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post

I concur 100%...
If I had to do it over again,,,I'd build mine along the lines of a pre64 Winny featherweight.
Instead of the matt blue heavy sporter in fiberglass that mine ended up becoming.
Old February 22, 2020, 11:05   #8
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
I love the IDEA of iron sights. But I can’t see irons well enough to shoot them competently any more. Especially at little brown moving targets in the woods in low light.

I would allow for a no-front-bell scope. I shoot at dinner-plate sized targets at 600 yards with a 4x quite well.
I like shooting contests better than SEEING contests.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.

Last edited by W.E.G.; February 22, 2020 at 12:10.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2020, 13:55   #9
308/223shooter
FALaholic Enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
I was told this was built for varmint hunting. The owner had quite the collection of interesting items when he passed away, just trying to help the widow move some of it. I'd like to shoot this to see if it's something I'd like to buy, but there already is no room left for me to store something I'll hardly ever use.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.

Women are dangerous. All warm, soft and cuddly on the outside, and berserker, Ragnarok crazy upstairs in the control room.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2020, 14:21   #10
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
I bought a .257 Roberts last spring, $500.

Custom Mauser, a real custom rifle.
LeFever Arms did the conversion 70 years ago; 20" rebarrel on a quality Mauser 98 receiver.

Has an old Pachmayer side swing scope mount with old 2.5x Weaver scope.
Has backup Lyman 48 sights, and a backup bbl band mid iron sight that matches the front sight.

Beautiful, figured wood and perfect bedding/checkering like they did back in the 50's.

Shoots well with Hornady ammo.
I have a 6mm and 270 Rem 700's for deer, but like handling the .257. Even came with a high quality sling.
V guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2020, 15:17   #11
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
I have an aunt who has hunted with her .257 for nearly 60 years. I would hope to inherit that rifle but her sons will squabble over it when the time comes. She took many muleys with it over the years.
Old February 22, 2020, 15:35   #12
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20461
Quote:
Originally Posted by 308/223shooter View Post
I was told this was built for varmint hunting. The owner had quite the collection of interesting items when he passed away, just trying to help the widow move some of it. I'd like to shoot this to see if it's something I'd like to buy, but there already is no room left for me to store something I'll hardly ever use.
In my eye's its certainly worth shooting to see how accurate it is. It might end up being one of the best rifles you ever owned. I don't target shoot much, most everything we do is geared toward hunting. That said I wouldn't cry any if I had an accurate 257 Roberts for varmints and an occasional deer, even if it had a heavy target barrel.

Ard Choille!
skeeterbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2020, 20:44   #13
yovinny
Old Fart
Platinum Contributor

You might want to also check out the twist rate first if you consider acquiring it.
257 Roberts varmint rifles are many times built with slow twist for accuracy with the light bullets and wont stabilize the heavier medium game bullets.
250 Savage rifles are the same with older rifles using 1:14" and are too slow of a twist for anything over the 87gr.
Old February 23, 2020, 10:36   #14
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
You might want to also check out the twist rate first if you consider acquiring it.
257 Roberts varmint rifles are many times built with slow twist for accuracy with the light bullets and wont stabilize the heavier medium game bullets.
250 Savage rifles are the same with older rifles using 1:14" and are too slow of a twist for anything over the 87gr.
This is true.

I have a Ruger tang safety M77 in .257 Roberts. The only reason I stumbled upon it was that it was offered to me as payment on a debt. That rifle pushed me into the world of reloading, and for that reason alone I will never forgive it....or sell it! The Roberts is kind of an odd duck, like other quarter bores. It is a capable caliber for CX2 game at normal ranges, and relatively gentle to shoot. Itís also not been treated kindly or fairly in itís representation in factory loadings. Crippled by anemic powder/bullet combinations in factory ammo, the Roberts is nothing remarkable or even all that interesting unless you reload. If you do reload, the Roberts can become an exceptionally versatile rifle.

I wouldnít call my M77 a target rifle in terms of accuracy. Twist rate matters, and your bullet selection is in the 90-120gr range. I never found a factory load I liked, even Hornady, and usually Iíd say if a rifle wonít shoot Hornady loads I donít care to keep it. I get acceptable accuracy with tailored loads, but each rifle is an individual so it really doesnít matter what my rifle can/canít do. The other thing to look for in Roberts rifles is the action length. It was an ďintermediateĒ sized cartridge from a time where your choices were long or short, so most rifles chambered in .257 are long actions. That may or may not matter to you, but itís worth mentioning.

Chuck Hawks has a good writeup on the .257 Roberts here:

https://www.chuckhawks.com/257_roberts_deer.html

I agree with most of his points. Itís a good choice for deer/antelope sized game and Iíve killed a small pile of WI whitetails with mine. I have a recipe for 110gr Nosler Interbonds that I like, though my experience has been that the Interbond is probably too much bullet for well-shot whitetails. Iíve never recovered a bullet and exit holes are small, but no deer has made it past 40 yards from impact. I believe that tough bullet would go through a deer the long way if a guy was stupid enough to try it, and Iím sure itíd be hell on a shoulder/leg bones on an imperfect shot or if a guy wanted to anchor a critter.

I like mine. A lot. But I like unique/oddball/weird stuff, and the Roberts fits that bill nicely.

ďIím saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about whatís enough. And for Godís sake, think about who you are.Ē - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote