The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AUG Files

Notices

Old April 24, 2019, 09:22   #1
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
The Lithgow F90 ATRAX is dead

For several years now, the Lithgow F90 ATRAX was being promoted at SHOT Show and on Youtube for potential sale in the USA in semi auto for regular citizen use.

Apparently the owner of Lithgow, Thales, has decided not to sell these rifles to the USA or allow production of them here in the USA on "ethical grounds".

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...2b6ee1852c0c62

That's a shame as I was looking forward to adding one to the collection.
wanneroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2019, 09:59   #2
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Yeah,

Thales is a French Company full of antigun eurocrats. Hopefully they sell Lithgow to someone with some intestinal fortitude.

To be honest the ATRAX was ugly as hell. It was about a tie in the ugly contest with the IMI X-95.

Shame though that Lithgow workers wont be at work making them and importing them to the US.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2019, 11:50   #3
lew
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Likely that they could not get ATF approval, and their media relations took advantage of the situation to cozy up to the progressives and oppressive governments they like to do business with.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2019, 19:24   #4
ncreptile
Registered

FALaholic #: 39586
That or they realized how ugly it was and after seeing how the Beretta ARX did decided it was not worth the time.

Agree with the above poster, never waste a chance for a good PR moment.
ncreptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2019, 04:43   #5
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorack View Post
Shame though that Lithgow workers wont be at work making them and importing them to the US.

Thorack
I did not know Lithgow has a factory in the US
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2019, 14:33   #6
lew
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
I did not know Lithgow has a factory in the US
I don't think they did have a US location, and that was probably part of the problem. Of course, who wants to invest in a US presence when the raison d'etre itself is uncertain.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
Old May 09, 2019, 05:59   #7
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Ethical to sell them in full auto configuration to third world dictatorships to use against their own populatons,but unethical to sell in the U.S. for target shooters...yeeeeaahhh...
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2019, 10:46   #8
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
This is a big FU from a French conglomerate to the residents of a small, blue collar town. The people of Lithgow could use US commercial contracts. The frogs donít care. Thatís what happens when businesses are run by overseas interests.
Old May 09, 2019, 12:10   #9
lew
Registered
Contributor

You guys hit the nails on the head.

Old May 09, 2019, 22:54   #10
JoeCorrado
Registered

FALaholic #: 79802
I guess I was one of the few that was looking forward to the F90's release. Sucks but it is what it is. The market is flooded with guns and prices have dropped. That was probably the straw that broke the camels back.
JoeCorrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2019, 10:23   #11
lew
Registered
Contributor

It's a shame to see a decent design not allowed to go to market. Variety and competition are good for us all.

Old May 11, 2019, 17:22   #12
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abominog View Post
This is a big FU from a French conglomerate to the residents of a small, hillbilly town. The people of Lithgow could use US commercial contracts. The frogs don’t care. That’s what happens when businesses are run by overseas interests.
.....just corrected that a little for you mate.

Yes, Thales don't need the civilian sales they are heavily invested in other defence projects here at the moment and Lithgow is a small part of the bigger conglomerate. It will always be there but never on he scale it once was. They are still churning out F90s for the ADF and will then turn to a refurbishment program. I could explain about 50 interwoven issues that would explain their reluctance to enter the US civilian market, some are legitimate (approval of the design for compliance is one - small sales numbers probably wouldn't justify it) and others would be "virtue signalling" at their best.

Interestingly the Aussie SF just have updated their M4s to H&K416s while the rest of the army are being handed the F90. The later also lost out to Colt M4s for the NSW Police contract as well.
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2019, 12:56   #13
C2A1
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 15514
Some more details. Interesting Steyr is bringing out a 300BO version of the AUG.
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...vilian-market/
C2A1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2019, 12:10   #14
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
It seems to me they would have struggled to make this a profitable venture considering they would be competing against the original Steyr. I know the ATRAX has some variations but I think it would have had a very small potential market here in the US
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote