The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The M1 / M14 Files

Notices

Old January 13, 2020, 17:10   #1
woodstock31
Registered

FALaholic #: 67795
Missed my chance at a IHC Garand

Still bummed today. Buddy was in a lgs on Saturday and he told me they had a really nice looking IHC Garand in stock. Priced at $925. Lowest I have seen on the open market and he knows I have been searching for one. Muzzle gauged at 1 and chamber at 2. He handled it and said that most of the parts are correct. Not that I super care about parts correctness, just as long as they are in good shape. The stock was pretty and had the typical stamps. So I get out the door first thing Sunday to go pick it up. I grab a number and wait for a free employee. I ask the guy who helps me and he says I was too late. He bought it at the end of the day Saturday. So close! The search continues...
woodstock31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2020, 23:39   #2
swedishmauser
Registered

FALaholic #: 76539
You may (or may not) be aware the Civilian Marksmanship Program has some Garand choices still available. For example, “RM1SERVICE” grade for $750. (Though this rifle does not appear to be in the same league as the rifle you described with the minimal throat and muzzle wear.) I would have bought one through the CMP but for the requirement to join a CMP affiliated organization. I wish you success.
swedishmauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2020, 00:09   #3
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Why I work at an LGS for free, a lot of rainy Saturdays the full day as people are off work but can't do anything outside unless they kayak. Try to stop in at least three afternoons per week as leave work. A lot of stuff comes in, especially trades or find a huge pile of reloading equipment and components from an estate waiting to be sorted and cherry pick what I want off the top. Then there is the employee discount even though not on payroll. There is one other guy that works free for employee pricing and to have a place to hang out.

I have gotten the itch myself for a nice Garrand as the one I have is what I would say is below average condition and almost looks like it was built from a pile of totally random mix of parts. It does have some throat erosion but would not call it bad, has a good bore but had a horrible crown when I bought it. Had a recessed target or stepped crown done by competent smith which really cleaned it up and he went a tad deeper than usual as realized he could get the crown damage and erosion totally gone for the most part. The stock has repairs and has been refinished at least twice so it was offered up cheap as owner was not given much trade in on it.

The good part is it operates perfectly and actually shoots the expected 3 to 4 MOA. Closer to 3 MOA with good ammo and five shot groups and 4 MOA or a tad more shooting eight shot groups with surplus ammo. I purchased it specifically to shoot 30-06 black tip AP. In one of my diggings looking for deals found four sealed tins of 30 cal AP M2 in eight round enblock clips. Saw zero sense in pulling the black tips cheap as pulls can be found so bought a rifle to have on hand if ever need to send 30-06 AP downrange at minute of man. Have since added a couple more tins which would eventually pound through whatever a zombie chose to use as cover.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2020, 02:09   #4
woodstock31
Registered

Yes I am well aware of the CMP. I shoot at Camp Perry in the National Matches as often as I can. My first Garand was from CMP. I think it was $425.

Last time I looked, IHC Garands were all gone from CMP. I will check again.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishmauser View Post
You may (or may not) be aware the Civilian Marksmanship Program has some Garand choices still available. For example, “RM1SERVICE” grade for $750. (Though this rifle does not appear to be in the same league as the rifle you described with the minimal throat and muzzle wear.) I would have bought one through the CMP but for the requirement to join a CMP affiliated organization. I wish you success.
Old January 14, 2020, 02:11   #5
woodstock31
Registered

I wish I could do the same. Sounds like your mixmaster is a decent shooter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Why I work at an LGS for free, a lot of rainy Saturdays the full day as people are off work but can't do anything outside unless they kayak. Try to stop in at least three afternoons per week as leave work. A lot of stuff comes in, especially trades or find a huge pile of reloading equipment and components from an estate waiting to be sorted and cherry pick what I want off the top. Then there is the employee discount even though not on payroll. There is one other guy that works free for employee pricing and to have a place to hang out.

I have gotten the itch myself for a nice Garrand as the one I have is what I would say is below average condition and almost looks like it was built from a pile of totally random mix of parts. It does have some throat erosion but would not call it bad, has a good bore but had a horrible crown when I bought it. Had a recessed target or stepped crown done by competent smith which really cleaned it up and he went a tad deeper than usual as realized he could get the crown damage and erosion totally gone for the most part. The stock has repairs and has been refinished at least twice so it was offered up cheap as owner was not given much trade in on it.

The good part is it operates perfectly and actually shoots the expected 3 to 4 MOA. Closer to 3 MOA with good ammo and five shot groups and 4 MOA or a tad more shooting eight shot groups with surplus ammo. I purchased it specifically to shoot 30-06 black tip AP. In one of my diggings looking for deals found four sealed tins of 30 cal AP M2 in eight round enblock clips. Saw zero sense in pulling the black tips cheap as pulls can be found so bought a rifle to have on hand if ever need to send 30-06 AP downrange at minute of man. Have since added a couple more tins which would eventually pound through whatever a zombie chose to use as cover.
Old January 14, 2020, 09:31   #6
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

It's a decent shooter but does have the issue many Garrard suffer from, as round count increases bullet path shifts. Can get a 3.1" to 3.25" five shot group with good ammo on occasion but have to fire one fouling shot into the berm then send the next five very slowly and methodically. At eight rounds on a good day it opens up around an inch even firing slowly in the 4" to 4.5" range. If shoot a full load, drop a second clip load in and fire it will begin to wander and can string a 6" to 8" group.

More rounds and more it will string and then begin throwing rounds left and right. But no matter how hard I run it if shoot center of mass all rounds will hit a standard IPSC silhouette target but it will look like a buckshot pattern from several shells loaded with #4 buck at 40 to 50 yards. Have fired a fair number of Garrard and found many act similar and why they guys that use them in competition spend a lot of money to get them somewhat competative.

I just like having a rifle can run a boat load of 30-06 AP from with minute of man accuracy without hurting it. It's an average distance of 75 yards to front and rear fence lines at the Ponderosa and if someone were to start shooting at the house from the roads or brush on Corp of Engineers land outside of rear fence having ability to send a barrage or 30-06 AP to chew up sheet metal or become a long distance chain saw if hiding in thick brush and small trees the Garrard with black tip would be perfect to brute force your way to a hostile zombie. Plus every collection needs one even if a well used and abused example.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old January 14, 2020, 09:51   #7
imacoonass01
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstock31 View Post
Last time I looked, IHC Garands were all gone from CMP.
Not yet.

RM1IHCF M1 Garand IHC Field Grade. Only part guaranteed to be IHC is the receiver. Some other parts could be IHC but not guaranteed. Please see M1 Field Grade description above.
$980.00
Free Shipping
Shipping within 2 weeks
Old January 14, 2020, 14:06   #8
woodstock31
Registered

Good call. Although I am hoping for service grade condition (or better). I will take a hard look at those. I've only ever ordered service grade from CMP. Do you have experience with the field grade? Were you happy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacoonass01 View Post
Not yet.

RM1IHCF M1 Garand IHC Field Grade. Only part guaranteed to be IHC is the receiver. Some other parts could be IHC but not guaranteed. Please see M1 Field Grade description above.
$980.00
Free Shipping
Shipping within 2 weeks
Old January 14, 2020, 14:09   #9
imacoonass01
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstock31 View Post
Good call. Although I am hoping for service grade condition (or better). I will take a hard look at those. I've only ever ordered service grade from CMP. Do you have experience with the field grade? Were you happy?
Sorry. I have only bought the 1911 from them.
Old January 14, 2020, 17:12   #10
Democrat1
Registered

FALaholic #: 9132
Latest North Store report on CMP forums

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=257322

They are apparently moving the North Store over where the PX is. Speculation is there will be no deliveries until the move is complete. Reports are there are some IHC rifles there. Only part guaranteed to be IHC is the receiver. I bought one there last summer which had an almost new LMR barrel, IHC receiver, and no other IHC parts. Hackberry stocks were appearing a lot last summer: supreme ugliness.
Democrat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2020, 23:34   #11
woodstock31
Registered

Thanks for the heads up. i have to be near Cleveland for work at the end of the month so I will try to make time to swing by Camp Perry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Democrat1 View Post
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=257322

They are apparently moving the North Store over where the PX is. Speculation is there will be no deliveries until the move is complete. Reports are there are some IHC rifles there. Only part guaranteed to be IHC is the receiver. I bought one there last summer which had an almost new LMR barrel, IHC receiver, and no other IHC parts. Hackberry stocks were appearing a lot last summer: supreme ugliness.
Old January 15, 2020, 06:43   #12
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
[QUOTE=Democrat1;4829283]http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=257322

They are apparently moving the North Store over where the PX is. Speculation is there will be no deliveries until the move is complete.

I like the idea of that move. Perfect location for me during the games. I usually park right across the street in the 1st parking lot.
RVN 67-68

Last edited by ArtBanks; January 15, 2020 at 14:10.
ArtBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2020, 09:53   #13
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
I really hate to miss something especially when it's as close as your deal was. I missed a 10X Unertl scope by waiting until "first thing in the morning" thing. Now they are ot of range forever.
01BIRDDOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2020, 08:14   #14
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I forgot to bid on a 50 BMG rated 12-36x scope on fleabay yesterday that closed at $180.