Notices

Old January 19, 2020, 13:52   #1
AFeod
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 75606
Sheath for an old buck 317

Hey yíall!

So long ago when I enlisted my uncle gave me his old Buck 317 that he bought on base when he was stationed in HI.

Recently I cleaned it up and put a razors edge on it. This is one heck of a knife. Now itís time to send my edc benchmade in for a service and I want to carry my uncleís 317. The only issue is that I donít have a sheath for it. It would fit great in the little side leg pocket(think caharts) on most of my jeans, but I donít want to risk loosing it. I work in the woods, and if stuffs not attached itís just a matter of time before it disappears.

So, Iím looking for a ďcustomĒ sheath, as these knives are no longer produced. Iíve search the interwebs for nos sheaths to no avail unless I wanna buy the knife too.

Iíve emailed a couple companies about having one made, but I guess theyíre not interested, due to no response.

My question for the hive:
Do any of yíall do leather work or know/trust someone that does. Iím not looking for a 250 dollar patriot leather whoopdy doo crazy sheath, just a nice canted belt sheath maybe with my initials on them (my uncle has the same intitials).

Thanks in advance.

Old January 19, 2020, 22:42   #2
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
That looks like a knife my parents had when I was a kid. My first thought was would it fit in a Buck 110 sheath? My second thought is look at other makers of similar knives, Camillus and a Western brand knives both have a similar model of knife.
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2020, 00:27   #3
AFeod
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Iíll have to see what Camillus knife model matches to extend my search. The funny thing is, is that Buck contracted out the 317 to Camillus. At least in 72 and 73 from what Iíve read. As for the 110 the stuff I found on the Buck forums say that itís about 1/4Ē too small...

The search goes on
Old January 20, 2020, 02:50   #4
Illurian00
Registered

FALaholic #: 28599
Check local tack shops. Perhaps they know of a local leather worker.
Illurian00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2020, 08:27   #5
yovinny
Registered

FALaholic #: 7679
Leather is nice, but Id look for a nylon sheath or maybe a single mag holder the right size.
Eagle USA used to make all kinds of those and I have a bunch for different knives, but they quit making them when blackheart and others made in viet nam or india cut their prices.
I'd try to google nylon sheath and see if something the right size turns up...
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2020, 13:21   #6
Pluribus
Registered

FALaholic #: 5600
Try Smokey Mountain Knife Works: https://www.smkw.com/knife-accessori..._material=1589

Several pages worth. I believe the Buck sheath for the 110 will fit so, so if you want to stay all Buck.

SMKW.com
Old January 22, 2020, 20:08   #7
AFeod
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I didnít think of a mag holder. Thatís a great idea. A member here sent me a link to a new eBay posting, I shot the guy a good offer to get an email 30 minutes later stating that it had sold for the same offer. Guess someone got it just before me. The hunt continues. Iíll check out Smokey mountain knife works too. Thanks gents!
Old January 23, 2020, 09:43   #8
JColdIron
Registered

FALaholic #: 24587
A sheath is no big deal to a decent leather worker but hard to charge for the actual time to make it. On custom stuff they are usually an afterthought and not well made or the cost for the time to make it is rolled into the cost for the knife.

I've made a bunch for reenactment knives and daggers. For someone to make a custom sheath they would need the knife in hand to create the pattern and assure a good tight fit. Probably looking at about 2 hours of time total. Hard to charge for that when you can buy something for less than $7!

I think you are on the right path looking for knives of a similar profile that have commercially available sheaths. I wouldn't use something made for a flashlight or other non knife if it is truly sharp. It is likely to cut through at some point.
JColdIron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2020, 17:43   #9
AFeod
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Found one!

Well, it's not a buck for the 317, but it's leather and it fits.

Thanks to Pluribus, I checked out Smokey Mountain Knife Works.

Their customer service was top notch. I told them the dimensions of my knife and they gave me a few options, and BAM sheath with a fire starter attached to it...

It's for a Case knife, but I could care less.