Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Shotgun Files

Notices

Old May 04, 2020, 05:53   #1
K. Funk
Retired Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
Speaking of Goose Guns.....

Bolt action shotguns seem to be making a bit of a comeback. I am getting good prices for some of the more modern bolt guns such as the Savage 210 and the Mossberg 695 as well as some of the vintage J.C. Higgins types in all gauges. Apparently slug hunters and block shooters are re-discovering them. Anybody using one as a go-to gun?

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2020, 15:09   #2
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Everybody around here always looked down on them as a poor manís gun. I donít know anybody (besides me) that would admit to owning one, at least until he could afford something better. I only have one at the moment, and think it is cool. I cant remember the brand but it is a .410 with a blind two shot (I think) magazine. Looks like a .22 rifle without a rear sight and a lot bigger hole in the barrel.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2020, 07:04   #3
yovinny
Old Fart
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Funk View Post
Bolt action shotguns seem to be making a bit of a comeback. I am getting good prices for some of the more modern bolt guns such as the Savage 210 and the Mossberg 695 as well as some of the vintage J.C. Higgins types in all gauges. Apparently slug hunters and block shooters are re-discovering them. Anybody using one as a go-to gun?

krf
The rifled barrel slug guns are always in demand in slug only deer hunting areas.
The Mossberg 695 has a cult following, as their one of the most accurate and were only made like 2 years.

Ive not seen the smooth bore 'goose gun' bolt actions fall in the same category at all..
Last one I ended up with was a well rode mossberg 20ga that was missing the mag.
Ended up giving it and a companion 22 rifle to the neighbors boy to tinker with....
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2020, 07:57   #4
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
The only place I have personally seen bolt action shotguns for many years is at spot shoots, usually with long, heavy custom barrels.
Old May 05, 2020, 08:04   #5
easttex
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20438
A buddy of mine in high school had a bolt-action Stevens .410 with a tubular magazine. It looked like a safari rifle until you realized the barrel profile was too thin.

I knew another guy 25 years ago who had a bolt action 12 gauge goose gun. The sucker had a 32 inch barrel adjustable choke. It was an heirloom from his uncle. Tried duck hunting with it was found that it wasn't much good at close-in snap shooting.

Molon labe
easttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2020, 08:12   #6
yovinny
Old Fart
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
The only place I have personally seen bolt action shotguns for many years is at spot shoots, usually with long, heavy custom barrels.
Spot shoot ?

From people talking at work,, I thought 'spot shooting' was a basketball thing....?

Please tell,,,,
Old May 05, 2020, 09:10   #7
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
Spot shoot ?

From people talking at work,, I thought 'spot shooting' was a basketball thing....?

Please tell,,,,

A spot shoot is shooting shotguns at a 5" or so square paper target, usually about $5 per round. Around 20 shooters simultaneously shoot at 20 targets at about 25 yards on each round. The winner of each round is whoever gets a shot the closest to the center. Prizes are usually hams, bacon, pork shops, a turkey, etc. It is mostly "gambling", but the tighter pattern your gun shoots, the more shot you get on the target, and so your chances improve. There is usually a lot of beer involved.

Last edited by Invictus77; May 05, 2020 at 09:22.
Invictus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2020, 09:30   #8
yovinny
Old Fart
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
A spot shoot is shooting shotguns at a 5" or so square paper target, usually about $5 per round. Around 20 shooters simultaneously shoot at 20 targets at about 25 yards on each round. The winner of each round is whoever gets a shot the closest to the center. Prizes are usually hams, bacon, pork shops, a turkey, etc. It is mostly "gambling", but the tighter pattern your gun shoots, the more shot you get on the target, and so your chances improve. There is usually a lot of beer involved.
Sounds just about like what Ive known before as a turkey shoot.
Ive been to a few of those years ago in IL,,,usually put on to raise money for some charity or another.. Good fun times...
Old May 07, 2020, 08:35   #9
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
The first gun I ever had was a Marlin 20 ga. bolt-gun. It was given to me by my Dad when I was about 10. Killed my first rabbit in front of beagles with it. Sadly its long gone.

Some years ago I was a member of a hunt club in a county that was shotgun only. To compensate for that regulation I bought a Marling "Slugmaster" bolt-gun in 12 ga. Having a fully rifled barrel I was to only shoot saboted slugs. Had great luck with Remington Copper Solids. It would shoot a 3" group at 100 yds off a rest. Topped with a cheap Simmons scope made for turkey guns, I killed a lot of deer using it at ranges far greater than I would have been able to using just a regular shotgun. That thing got a lot of looks, to, since it looked like a large caliber safari rifle. Its now asleep in the gun safe.
Whydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2020, 08:48   #10
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Savage manufactured a bolt-action slug gun now that is apparently a hell of a gun. A friend of mine bought one for some reason (as he uses a 30-30 normally) and seems to really like it.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!Ē -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2020, 11:12   #11
yovinny
Old Fart
Platinum Contributor

I had one of those Mossberg 695's topped with a cheapo bushnell 3-9 when I lived in IL.
It also shot 2-3" groups with the winchester sabot slugs and accounted for a few deer and a single coyote there.
My IL buddies just about fought over who was going to talk me out of it when I moved to KY and one ended up making me a deal I just couldent pass up....
Old May 08, 2020, 17:45   #12
wolfspotter1
Registered

FALaholic #: 64473
My dad wasn't a hunter but bought a Savage Stevens model 58 20-gauge back in the 60's to have in the house. Out of six of us kids, I'm the only one that ever used it. Over the years, My dad would have me come to the house to clean & oil it occasionally.
Last year, he brought it over & gave it to me. Brings back a lot of memories.

wolfspotter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2020, 09:18   #13
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Some years ago a friend took a shotgun in on trade then decided he didn't want it. Marlin goose gun with a 35 inch barrel, bolt action clip fed model 55. He begged me to buy it for $55 and I still have it yet never fired it. At my age and eye sight I can hardly see the bead now because the barrel is so long.
Old May 09, 2020, 10:26   #14
yovinny
Old Fart
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Some years ago a friend took a shotgun in on trade then decided he didn't want it. Marlin goose gun with a 35 inch barrel, bolt action clip fed model 55. He begged me to buy it for $55 and I still have it yet never fired it. At my age and eye sight I can hardly see the bead now because the barrel is so long.
Thats the real original 'goose gun',, with those yard long barrels.
They also made the 'super goose' model 5510, which was the same but in 10ga.
Old May 11, 2020, 02:03   #15
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66564
My 28 inch Beretta barrel showed up the other day along with the other stuff to make it all go together the filling day from Midwest Gun Works. So after assembling it I gave it a go out the back and busted 4 out of 4 clays. It is long AF but I noticed that for some reason it did not whomp me like it did with the 18 inch barrel. Am I just imagining this or does the longer barrel work some sort of magic on the recoil.
I like the thing really, not barrel heavy or awkward at all. Feels smooth to follow if you know what I mean. There has got to be some shotgun world word for it that I donít know.

Matthew 25:1 thru 25:10 Be ready!

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.

Not that Iím ugly but more like weird looking.
Sagerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2020, 08:38   #16
davedude
Registered

FALaholic #: 20538
Long barrel talk got me thinkin, yeah I know that is bad but I've a tulle pattern fusil de chasse, 20 gauge smoothbore flintlock with a 42 inch barrel. Talk about long. Never thought about goose hunting with it. Be interesting to pattern test it to see if it was even close to being up to the job.
Old May 23, 2020, 10:17   #17
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
I don't have one as a "go to gun" per say, but I restored one a few years ago that was over-due being scrapped.

Actually, it was scrapped. It was found in the trunk of an old Rambler car that was at the junk yard.

It surprisingly shoots really well now.

I had to replace both extractors. Extractor springs. Mag spring. I had to repair the buttstock. My son made a trigger guard for it. I used a piece of kydex to make a barrel band with it.

There are pics on here somewhere of the restoration.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2020, 10:37   #18
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
I inherited this 20 ga. Mossberg 185K-B from my father-in-law. I think he took it quail hunting with his father-in-law a few times.

Ė Harry Truman

"The rock of democracy will founder when people think of people unlike themselves as the "other"-Teddy Roosevelt

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

Know your rights; the future is unwritten.
Texgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2020, 01:01   #19
silvermane_1
Registered

FALaholic #: 77090
Too bad the Browning A5 isn't making a comeback.
Old June 19, 2020, 09:32   #20
yovinny
Old Fart
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermane_1 View Post
Too bad the Browning A5 isn't making a comeback.
If you havent checked lately,,,Browning has just a slew of current A5 offerings,, including even 3 1/2" chambered versions.