Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old March 24, 2020, 07:32   #1
K. Funk
Retired Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
AR Prices

I have not seen a sustained increase in AR prices due to this virus thing. This was a sudden event though, and the current stock was severely depleted before prices had a chance to jump. Now with the ammo crunch, is anyone seeing prices for these rifles climb?

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2020, 08:22   #2
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
No i haven't seen any climb either. I got a early restricted marked but small pin fire control 6920 that was unopened in box about a month ago. I was sure it would be a good investment but now looks like Colt AR's have leveled off for a while. Jeep us posted on your findings on this.
01BIRDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2020, 10:29   #3
Edgartwib
Registered

FALaholic #: 80246
The palmetto m4 moe kits are $470+shipping now. I usually pick one up when they are under $300 shipped.
Edgartwib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2020, 11:37   #4
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Whittakers is a very large LGS. Not long ago they had the Smith M&P15 sport for under $500 and even down to $450 IIRC. I just saw an email from them having them currently "on sale" at $580.
Old March 26, 2020, 12:17   #5
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Have enough parts to build several dozen in lockers so can keep new toys as want and wait for prices to level out later. Sure as factories are forced to shut down or cut staff supply will go down thus prices will rise. Like Sandy Hook after it ends will drop back unless Dems attach gun legislation to stimulus packages.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2020, 13:10   #6
Trypcil
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63101
As with printers, the real money is in the Ink!

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." -- Voltaire

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression... There is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we must be most aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness." -- William O. Douglas, US Supreme Court Justice from 1939-1975

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- Krishnamurti
Trypcil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2020, 13:26   #7
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
We are seeing dramatic increases in price here...

Of course, it's hard to really sell anything when background checks aren't working...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2020, 14:09   #8
BM59
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 77492
PSA emailed me today for 20" A2 nitride complete upper back in stock. Used to be $299 , now $349.
Old March 26, 2020, 17:37   #9
2barearms
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
So you can still get an AR......all the ammo...and I mean all the ammo is gone.
Remington and Winchester say they have 2 years worth of back orders....
All of the components are gone too. The good news is there are no gun shows....

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2020, 17:56   #10
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Watching local forums, AR rifles, especially factory rifles such as Colt, LWRC and Daniel Defense are selling quick at Obama scare prices.

With our state "lock down," face to face transactions are going to be the most tangible way to purchase a rifle.
Old March 26, 2020, 18:31   #11
2barearms
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw View Post
Watching local forums, AR rifles, especially factory rifles such as Colt, LWRC and Daniel Defense are selling quick at Obama scare prices.

With our state "lock down," face to face transactions are going to be the most tangible way to purchase a rifle.
Unless you have ammo its a fancy club......

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker

Last edited by 2barearms; March 26, 2020 at 19:26.
2barearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2020, 19:28   #12
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw View Post

And in Colorado, of course, since we've closed the 'gunshow loophole' and worse, all transfers must go though a dealer with a 4473 papertrail (and the necessary background check, of course). No background checks, no..., well, you probably see where I'm going with this...

What a neat way to prevent transfers/sales...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2020, 20:23   #13
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2barearms View Post
Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
Old March 26, 2020, 21:27   #14
fly2.0
To Old To Give A F**k
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 79608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Whittakers is a very large LGS. Not long ago they had the Smith M&P15 sport for under $500 and even down to $450 IIRC. I just saw an email from them having them currently "on sale" at $580.
Yes , Election year and the latest panic .

((( Micro Galil / Colt )))
fly2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2020, 21:53   #15
Oz308
Registered

FALaholic #: 68280
No more FTF in WA, either

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
And in Colorado, of course, since we've closed the 'gunshow loophole' and worse, all transfers must go though a dealer with a 4473 papertrail (and the necessary background check, of course). No background checks, no..., well, you probably see where I'm going with this...

Forrest
Yeah, they passed that nonsense back home a while ago. Seemed to have a bit of a chilling effect on FTF, folks wondering who is who anymore, unless personally known to you. I do not know if NICS has been slowed down/turned off back home, no one I speak with anymore, cares about 2A stuff anymore, so I haven't bothered to look.

And no jokes, one of the campaign wordings with this was 'it's for the children'. And our polywogs also used the 'loophole' language too.

Thinking there is an official 'gun control words and phrases book' that all pols, in all 50 states, read or are issued. Just too much duplication of words/phrases/paragraphs....

I've NEVER encountered a fun show seller, who didn't do the phone call. Not saying it's never happened, but I've never seen it myself.
Oz308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2020, 22:49   #16
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2barearms View Post
Was looking for a box with some commercial herbicide/root killer in the garage this afternoon and opened a box with 1,600 rounds of M193, another with 1,200 rounds of IMI M855 and final with 1,000 rounds of 6.8 spc II 115 grain JHP totally forgot ordering in January. Just a half hour ago was looking for my box of art supplies (colored pens, pencils, charcoal, etc) and noticed three ammo cans under a chair along with large cardboard box. One ammo can had 1,000 rounds of Lake City M855 on stripper clips, three stripper clip adapters along with a spare 5.56 bolt carrier group and enough room for one loaded magazine packing it tight. Other two cans were empty and the cardboard box had packing slip saying shipped with 3,000 rounds of LC M855 had zip lock baggie of stripper clips and other assorted 5.56 poodle shooter parts where had been putting rounds on strippers and packing cans with ammo and mix of magazines and spare parts.

Just since the Chinese Flu scare began and started flipping work and home to get situational aware of how many N95 masks, surgical masks, gas masks (USGI M75, Israeli, Avon, MSA Millinium CBRN, Swiss filters,etc), surgical gloves, nitrol rubber gloves, Tyvek coveralls have found multiple boxes of unopened boxes of factory and milsurp ammo that should have been packed in ammo lockers when came in door. Bet I have found over 25,000 rounds total in factory ammo totally forgot had ordered just since Thanksgiving and have put more in lockers than on arrival as supposed to. Have 20,000 once fired Lake City 5.56 cases prepped (tumbled, sized, primer pockets uniformed, flash holes uniformed/deburred & trimmed) for loading and can't even predict when will have the 6.8 spc II, 6.5 Creedmoor and 7.62×39 and 7.62 Nato that have four progressives currently running will be done so able to start the 5.56.

Try to run 5,000 run lots once start a press running and have a lot of ×39 and 6.5 cases piled high as in multiple five gallon buckets of each. Since 6.5 Creed is relatively new cartridge for me with multiple battle rifles to support am trying to get an appropriate stockpile. Have a source that gives me free brass boxer primed 7.62×39 and bought 15,000 .312 JSPs on a killer deal to stuff in them plus a five gallon bucket of 160 grain cast gas check projectiles ready for ×39 cases. Found 1,000 110 grain Nosler Accubonds this morning that need stuffed in cases and have more Speer 90 grain TNTs in 600 projectile bulk packs than want to count. Just finished a run of 1,000 22 Nosler cases (250 M855a1, 250 Barnes Tac-X, 500 M855) and was going to swap that press over to 5.56 (same shell plate so just have to swap disk in case feeder and top die plate) but found another 1,500 22 Nosler cases.

Have probably added 100,000 assorted poodle shooter cartridges in factory plus handloads just over the winter to inventory and have a half pallet of IMI M855 still left from a 1999 buy for Y2K predicted supply chain disruption. Average year I put back triple or more rounds than I shoot as when retire will be on a fixed income and have unlimited time to shoot. I have never understood anyone having a low inventory on ammo. Why own guns if don't have ammo? Second Amendment guarantees the right to bear arms but not to buy ammo with a ton of restrictions and taxes. Run my 45 acp press at least one session per week as shoot 300 to 500 rounds of 200 grain cast SWC per week out of my 1911s.

Figure when build a "light fighter" AR 15 it has a 20,000 round lifespan in 5.56, at least 12,000 to 15,000 in 6.8, 2,000 to 4,000 in 22 Nosler and unlimited in 458 SOCOM since shoot 85% subsonic. Since going to 6.5 Creed as preferred round in AR 10s and adding M1a/M14s in 6.5 fast as can need at least a couple hundred thousand to support those rifles. When finish a 5.56 or 6.8 AR 15 add 10,000 rounds to list of what need to put back to support that rifle. Beginning of Sandy Hook had over a quarter million rounds of rim fire and almost ran out of match ammo as will not shoot Thunderbolts in my rifles but had them stacked to the ceiling. Now working hard to rebuild my supply of CCI Green Tag, SK Long Range Match, Ely Tenex, Federal Premium Ultra Match and other specialty rim fire such as Aguila 60 grain Sniper Subsonic.

If have three 5.56 AR 15s and less than 40,000 rounds of 5.56 have no business building or buying another. That's 10k per rifle for when it goes away like Sandy Hook and now plus 10k to shoot like it's as easy to buy as last month. I laid into ammo hard third week of January and day Trump announced the travel ban on Jan 27th placed three large orders of ammo and two of components. First day of announced 15 days of social distancing placed five orders and two companies found their max limit of allotment per person so had to buy hit eacheck of them again with wife's card and account shipping to house instead of work. Had over over 10,000 rounds still in shipping when a client called wanting to know if could spare 1,000 rounds of 5.56 and was looking at two 1,200 round cases of M193 that had come in that day to house and wife heard phone call and shook her head then wrote a note saying don't sell a single round even though he would have easily paid me double my cost.

Wife confiscated a 10.5" piston drive 5.56 which is sitting on end table next to her end of the sofa where her Colt Diamondback normally sits. She has fired more 5.56 in past two weeks than past two months as normally shoots 7.62×39 cast because she knows it's almost free to reload since recover 70% of lead shot at house from bullet traps and 99% shot at work indoor pistol range that we do shoot 22 rifles and cast ×39 as does not damage strike plates of traps. Can't use 5.56 or larger in traps and have to shoot into backstops as burns holes in strike plates. She says needs to up her muscle memory on ARs rather than AKs and SKSs as know if we have to defend the Ponderosa she will be using an AR 15 in 6.8 or 22 Nosler most likely or AR 10 in 6.5 Creed from a LeadSled articulating mount that steadies the rifle and sucks up a lot of the recoil if world gets horrible.

Found over 100 total N95 masks at work over past three weeks on random shelves and drawers employees put rather than correct cabinet in darkroom and still finding partial boxes. She bucked when gave a friend six N95s and twenty Israeli P95s. Her logic is everyone could have spent last 35+ years hoarding, especially our friends/relatives that have called me paranoid and even crazy but now begging. My mom even had two full twenty count boxes of N95 and a partial box as uses them when doing gardening in spring or cutting grass when really dry. My grandmother kept two years food and more ammo than most men all my life till she passed. It was tough for a 9 to 11 year old kid to understand why she had so much rim fire but would never let me and brother shoot it. Said it may feed us squirrel and dumplings some day when no other food can be found. Those Depression Era grandmother's grew up tough.

Have a friend with two AR 15s and only had 400 rounds of 5.56, luckily he got another 1,200 the last day SGammo was still taking web orders. Loaned LGS enough to carry them through first weekend of panic till lunch Tuesday of 5.56, 7.62×51 and 22 LR along with enough ×39 to cover first Saturday of rush. Agreement is they will replace when get inventory back normal as felt bad about night vision scope owner gave me because didn't work and only issue was all his Walmart lowest price alkalines were rupturing whenever he powered it up as overheated due to power draw. Cleaned battery compartment, put lithium battery in and worked perfectly. New in box ATN Night Arrow Gen 2+ and owner would not take back next day as said he already replaced it and didn't want to be "Indian giver".

If ammo is already an issue for anyone on this board do not buy another gun till you have enough to know your good for a decade or will be in same boat every shortage. Sandy Hook should have educated everyone. Our alarm company is on dispatch before calling if alarm pops DEFCON 1 because of contents of house and local jurisdiction knows if suspect a perpetual is in house for one or two deputies to enter but observe and wait for major backup. Fire Marshall has video of the OSHA explosion proof fire/ammo lockers so firefighters know where to spray first or avoid if house is consumed. Just the mention of ammo shortage on discussion group like this bothers me. None of us should ever be short on ammo.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old March 27, 2020, 01:16   #17
Trypcil
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63101
So anyone selling a rifle might sweeten the deal with 200 rounds - sooner or later people will be buying the rifle, to get the ammo!

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." -- Voltaire

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression... There is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we must be most aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness." -- William O. Douglas, US Supreme Court Justice from 1939-1975

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- Krishnamurti
Trypcil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2020, 06:17   #18
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trypcil View Post
So anyone selling a rifle might sweeten the deal with 200 rounds - sooner or later people will be buying the rifle, to get the ammo!
Maybe....

But there is also no shortage of local forum sale adds for ammo right now. Lots of people short on cash, and many others looking to make some cash on their stash.
Old March 27, 2020, 07:06   #19
kcinnick
Registered

FALaholic #: 71291
I see lots of guys locally trying to make some money off of their ammo stash, but ammo is restocked at Academy here at their normal prices and they keep upping the limit which you can buy.

Locally cheap ARs have been jacked up in price, but I haven't seen an increase at all on quality ARs. What has been selling are CCW pistols and for some odd reason pump shotguns. I have never seen a run on pump shotguns or any shotgun.
kcinnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2020, 08:49   #20
fly2.0
To Old To Give A F**k
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
I see lots of guys locally trying to make some money off of their ammo stash, but ammo is restocked at Academy here at their normal prices and they keep upping the limit which you can buy.

Locally cheap ARs have been jacked up in price, but I haven't seen an increase at all on quality ARs. What has been selling are CCW pistols and for some odd reason pump shotguns. I have never seen a run on pump shotguns or any shotgun.
I see New Orleans is getting hit hard , 1795 sick 65 dead as of yesterday .

How are thing's where u are at ? And Are u safe in Baton Roughe area ?

Old March 27, 2020, 09:19   #21
Southern 7.62
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 79321
Prices might be higher in other areas but mine (West TN). I've two AR's for sale here locally at $450 each FTF to residents and can't find any takers. Also I have six sealed cans of powder for reloading .223/5.56, and some pistol calibers at $15 per pound...no takers. Local grocery store here is back to normal with inventory, except toilet paper. It sells out as it's stocked according to the manager. Oh well, to each their own. I have to conclude that in my area, folks already have enough arms and ammo, or have spent their money on TP....it's the new Gold you know.
Southern 7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2020, 09:28   #22
Southern 7.62
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:

That reminds me of something funny. Last trip to the Bahamas, our local driver was telling me about his permit being ok'd by the Government (Bahamian) to purchase and own a gun since he has a business and works as a security guard. I asked him what type of gun he wanted to get. He said, "a twelb guage pumpa!" A "pumpa" I said? "Yea mon...ad fas as you pull da trigga, it pumpa da shells". I had to laugh.
Old March 27, 2020, 09:38   #23
fly2.0
To Old To Give A F**k
Gold Contributor

Local gun store .

kygunco ;
order online ,
go there next day ,
fill out paper work in car ,
and wait in car while pross. is complete .

Old March 27, 2020, 09:50   #24
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trypcil View Post
During Sandy Hook every rifle I sold with three spare mags and 600 rounds of ammo as package. Sold about a dozen mixed AR 15s and AKs as didn't want to deplete all my trade/sell inventory. Sold and gave away a lot of rim fire I do not shoot or even use for Boy Scouts. In LGS one day three men came in asking about rimfire. Owner said none and over 100 people on waiting list then advised talk to me.

Walked them to truck where had brick of Thunderbolts on seat had peeled $9.95 sticker off that morning. Big blow hard guy immediately offered me $100 for brick and took his money. Second guy was baffled, asked if had more reached in back seat set another brick on front. Counted his cash had $78 and said needed enough for lunch, would $70 buy brick and made the swap pissing blow hard guy who came in LGS saying new owner had some stashed and would pay any amount. Guy three looked at me and said promised to take his sons shooting Saturday, in no way could afford brick and what would just two fifty count boxes cost. Pulled out third brick, handed to him and said promise to make it last so kids could shoot a little along for couple of months. He was stunned and $100 brick guy triple pissed.

During Sandy Hook let buyer set price. Of the dozen AR/AK rifle/mag/ammo packages I sold every one showed buyer in parking lot of LGS, said make offer and took their first offer as all were silly. All paid $1,500 to $2,000 of their own free will when saw a rifle with magazines and more ammo likely seen at one time in life. It was shock & awe buyers into making strong offers didn't have to counter. Guy on M14 forum was crying because he was top 100 in nation that year for whatever matches he was shooting and could not find match primers anywhere. Mailed him a 1,000 count box free and paid shipping myself. Not one local Boy Scout troop went withour rimfire during that panic. Sold zero ammo online.

Sold a local elderly man that could only shoot 22 Hornet due to brittle bones two pounds of his favorite powder for price marked on cans. Few days later he came by work with several hundred 5.56 55 grain projectiles said could not use and gave to me. Said if wanted more to one to his house and would let me have as too heavy for him to carry. Left with over 5,000 5.56 projectiles from 55 grain but mostly 69 and 77 grain SMKs free. He and I became friends, shot Hornets together at least twice a month and he taught me huge amount of Hornet magic. He loved my Raging Hornet pistols as had not shot centerfire pistols in years. When he passed his wife gave me entire reloading inventory and I helped her get top dollar for his guns.

Have not sold ammo yet though had opportunity to double my money on 1,000 M193 ball. Last night SGammo listed up Privi M193 for $339 per 1,000 and sent link to guy who contacted me and he is now waiting a shipment that will make him fat. I bought both 5.56 and 6.8 last night and have zero need. Am still finding 5.56 at under 40 cents per round weekly and keep buying. Why people are paying premium when patience and Internet still reveals good deals are still out there baffles me? Why anyone with a high capacity, high cyclic rate light fighter or medium battle rifle does not have plenty of ammo baffles me more. If this continues and prices get to what makes me lossen the locks will sell some older invemtory. Still have 20,000 to 25,000 of 55,000 round pallet of IMI M855 purchased 1999 and half pallet of Lake City 7.62 NATO ball purchased same time.

KFunk, found the box with rest of the 50 caliber projectiles I gave you a full flat rate box of before for your Beowolf in my organization efforts. When able will box and ship. They got put in the oddest place. Were in a big box of seven pin high security key blanks. How they got in the key box at work evades me totally.
Old March 27, 2020, 09:50   #25
LKY_13
Sig Sauer Me
Contributor

FALaholic #: 41000
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Just the mention of ammo shortage on discussion group like this bothers me.
Yes, and no. I'm constantly amazed by the endless supply of parts and ammo you rattle-off here all the time, Huey. Just awesome! However, realize that some of us are on a tight budget. I make okay money, but my four kids are in their teens, and involved with sports, and eat like adults (or, like two adults in some cases). I've sold-off most non-essential rifles, and paired down my collection significantly (save curio and relic, which remains untouched). Hell-- I don't even own a single FAL anymore. 7.62x51 just got too costly to stock/shoot in semi-auto numbers. Maybe I should stop posting here for that sin? Kick me off the island. That said; even after reducing, I cannot begin to approach the level of ammo on-hand you are talking about. Realize that we all have different budgets, and are at different stages of life. We all are doing our level best. Nothing to get bothered by, or worked-up about. I imagine things might very well get worse. At least I have plenty of long gun rounds and reloading supplies to weather the ole storm. Not the end of the world if the "poodle-shooters" get shelved for a while. Go back to bolt guns to keep me distracted in the interim...
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams

Foi Est Tout
μολων λαβε
SiG for Life
LKY_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2020, 11:53   #26
kcinnick
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2.0 View Post
I see New Orleans is getting hit hard , 1795 sick 65 dead as of yesterday .

How are thing's where u are at ? And Are u safe in Baton Roughe area ?
Not much risk with everything shut down. I am not too worried about things.
Old March 27, 2020, 13:04   #27
davedude
Registered

FALaholic #: 20538
[Go back to bolt guns to keep me distracted in the int
erim... ]

Heard that! I'm still swimming in Romy steel case 8mm!
Old March 27, 2020, 13:42   #28
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKY_13 View Post
Yes, and no. I'm constantly amazed by the endless supply of parts and ammo you rattle-off here all the time, Huey. Just awesome! However, realize that some of us are on a tight budget. I make okay money, but my four kids are in their teens, and involved with sports, and eat like adults (or, like two adults in some cases). I've sold-off most non-essential rifles, and paired down my collection significantly (save curio and relic, which remains untouched). Hell-- I don't even own a single FAL anymore. 7.62x51 just got too costly to stock/shoot in semi-auto numbers. Maybe I should stop posting here for that sin? Kick me off the island. That said; even after reducing, I cannot begin to approach the level of ammo on-hand you are talking about. Realize that we all have different budgets, and are at different stages of life. We all are doing our level best. Nothing to get bothered by, or worked-up about. I imagine things might very well get worse. At least I have plenty of long gun rounds and reloading supplies to weather the ole storm. Not the end of the world if the "poodle-shooters" get shelved for a while. Go back to bolt guns to keep me distracted in the interim...
No sin for staying here even if sold off last FAL. God, Family, Guns, Country then whatever... I found this place after having to sell off all of my FALs except Springfield SAR 48's and 4800's in 7.62 and 5.56. Had three MVA's in 18 months with ambulatory injuries between 2007 and 2009 which all were women rear ending me while text messaging when smart phones were new. Was sitting at red lights twice and stop sing the other. Cop downloaded data from lady who rear ended me in a Suburban to discover she had cruise control set at 45 mph and never hit brakes before hitting me square on.

Because of the accidents being roughly spaced four to six months apart and insurance companies for women hitting me delaying trials when finally got me days in court they told jury I had three different lawsuits with injuries at same time, was a (white) business owner who walked in under own power and the cane was not needed according to their doctors and I had five spinal surgeons that said I was and still am 100% disabled and should not be doing manual labor. Had full C-Spine x-ray and lumbar MRI two months before first accident showing no injuries.

Following first L1,2, 3, 4. 5. S1 were totally scrambled, and fried but nothing else. Following second C2 and C3 were broken with cervical bulges and ruptures but no additional injuries. Third broke my T6 and T7 along with slipped disks, bulges and ruptures. Had a line of witnesses and surgeons prove other drivers faults, Suburban, Tahoe and Excursion but lawyers convinced juries I was playing the civil court lottery and trying to blame their driver for injuries cause by other accidents. One even used fact I used to race bicycles and rock climb as likely cause of injuries. All juries were loaded with medically ignorant people who had hourly jobs and thought all business owners were rich and found on behalf of insurance companies.

Hospitals and doctors had been patient waiting on litigation as were sure insurance companies would be held liable and I would be getting checks to cover pain and suffering at least. If injured in auto accident and person at faults insurance is able to weasel out your regular health insurance does not pay the first 30 days bills following accident. That is the ambulance ride, emergency room, any overnight hospital stays, x-rays, CT scans, MRIs, etc which is bulk of cost. All three was transported to same hospital who cut me a deal if paid half of actual owed amount in 90 days would reduce owed amount 50%. One doctor wrote off all his bills, another half and four wanted all their money.

Looked at my high dollar guns that were not 1911s. My 1886 Winchester collection which most were bought in rough condition at cheap prices in early 1980s when collectors really only bought nice examples but by post Y2K any condition in some cartridges were worth their weight in gold. Sold a 50-110. 45-90, 40-70. 38-56 and 45-70 in rough condition and a 45-70 in good condition all to one collector who was filling holes in collection or spares he could shoot. He had all but the good 45-70 professionally restored so were cosmetically nice and able to shoot and display with some pride. Also sold pre-ban FALs/L2s'l1s with from various importers that are now pure gold along with some other rare Colt SAA's and SP1 AR 15's to pay for my medical bills.

Through all of that sold no ammo, no reloading or lower value common rifles which even Springfield M1a National and Super Match rifles were not bringing enough at the time (post 2008 recession) to warrant selling. Actually came out money ahead as the Winchester 1886 collection sold last for enough to put me back in the black and began trying to rebuild best I could. Will never replace the preban FAL variants but kits on U.S. receivers are fine for me with the SAR 48 and 4800 preban rifles still in vaults. Will never own another 1886 Winchester but have a few pre 64 model 94's and didn't sell turn bolts.

Did sell all my Desert Eagles to a man who paid over retail and book value as had wanted them since his son told him about them. sold some Ruger single and double action wheel guns, Colt Snake guns but kept a fair number of both. Luckily had AKs, SKSs and SKS-Ms stacked up like firewood when Sandy Hook hit which paid $79 for SKS with 600 rounds, $99 for SKS-M with 600 rounds and $129 for AKs with 600 rounds and $25 for 75 round drum mags. Between Sandy Hook and now states with bans on post 1994 rifles have done well with those, did real well selling magazines, rimfire and 7.62x39 and 5.56 as well.

Did real well on SlideFires selling a pile for $500 each the second weekend after Las Vegas and other micro bubbles. All of that money gets put back into parts, ammo and guns when market is low so as bubbles appear have stiff to sell and buy back when market goes back to normal. Yes, I have over 100 AR 15 lowers in house but was buying blem billet lowers for $19 and selling half of every order to LGS for $39 as their price on blems from factory was $79. Would order 30, 60 to 120, split with LGS and after shipping cost mine were free. I buy barrels that are over run, dead inventory and mismarked from makers at a flat rate per unit then scrub the 1:8 when 1:7 or !:12 when actually 1:8 then restamp, Cerakote and assemble. Amazing how often engraving department will mismark one to four barrels when a lot changes and I have to buy all to get my deal.

Leverage all that into more toys for me and allows me to sell more factory built rifles when market is high. I chose not to have kids as about half of my mountaineering partners are dead or cripple and didn't want to do that to kids. Bet you make a lot nore money than me but wife and I have not been out to eat in a restaurant in over a decade, only been to two movies in 27 years and only spend money on durable goods that gain value. Remodeled my house myself and thus was able to pay it off in 12 years and its value has increase 4x over money have put into it. I drive a 1993 paid for truck most days and a 1997 paid for truck others to work in and wife has a nice truck but we paid cash, no financing.

Most families I know spend more money on eating out, entertainment and I-Phones and Apple tablets than I spend on guns and ammo. Its how you spend money that matters some times, what it costs to take your family to Longhorns I can build an AR 15. See my brother spend more money on food for his family of three kids than I do on firearms per year by the time I flip a few profitable deals. Keep $5,000 handy to pounce when see a bargain and be ready to sell when see a bubble and the collection will grow. Kids are a choice and I passed because I am a greedy man who wants to spend his money on himself after God gets his cut.
Old March 27, 2020, 14:03   #29
kcinnick
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern 7.62 View Post
Prices might be higher in other areas but mine (West TN). I've two AR's for sale here locally at $450 each FTF to residents and can't find any takers. Also I have six sealed cans of powder for reloading .223/5.56, and some pistol calibers at $15 per pound...no takers. Local grocery store here is back to normal with inventory, except toilet paper. It sells out as it's stocked according to the manager. Oh well, to each their own. I have to conclude that in my area, folks already have enough arms and ammo, or have spent their money on TP....it's the new Gold you know.
Depending on the powder I would jump on $15 a pound local. I do have like 40lbs of powder for .223/556 but I am down to my last 8lb jug for pistol, but at $15lb, why not
Old March 27, 2020, 16:02   #30
LKY_13
Sig Sauer Me
Contributor

FALaholic #: 41000
Quote:
Bet you make a lot nore money than me...
Not at all the point of my post, and not going down that rabbit hole. Not here to start wildfires.

Quote:
Most families I know spend more money on eating out, entertainment and I-Phones and Apple tablets.
Oh, hell no. My kids work their asses off. They know the value of a good days sweat and labor. 1. to teach a good work ethic. 2. to hopefully propel them into a solid job someday. I didn't build our home, but we purchased it unfinished to save cash, and teach our kids how to work alongside Mom and Dad. On the exceedingly rare occasions we eat steak, I'm grilling. My car is a salvage title commuter, and our van 'almost paid for. But, again we're getting off into the weeds. I was not calling you out, Huey. I respect you, and as I said; I think your knowledge is an excellent resource, here. Although, I am sorry you had to go through that experience with your back, and the subsequent lawsuit/jury scenario. My stepfather, who is a Navy veteran (and a pretty kick-ass father to my brother and I growing up) went through a similar situation with his back, and has been laid-up since 2003. His lower back is completely pinned/fused together. He gets injections up his leg into his pelvic region to block the pain, but the scar tissue is so thick from so many injections over the years-- it's close to becoming an impossible procedure, anymore.

Quote:
...after God gets his cut.
Amen, brother. Amen.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams

Foi Est Tout
μολων λαβε
SiG for Life
LKY_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2020, 18:56   #31
fly2.0
To Old To Give A F**k
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Not much risk with everything shut down. I am not too worried about things.
Buddy told me ; Some are still having a party on the lake front in New Orleans East on Diamond rd, all the way to Lake Front Blvd.

I'm glad i moved out in the 90's .

Stay safe .

Old March 27, 2020, 19:09   #32
rowjimmy
Registered

FALaholic #: 21662
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post

Forrest
'Bout sums it up.

rowjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2020, 20:07   #33
Southern 7.62
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Depending on the powder I would jump on $15 a pound local. I do have like 40lbs of powder for .223/556 but I am down to my last 8lb jug for pistol, but at $15lb, why not
Heard that brother. I've got more than I need and trying to help out those with less. No profit. Ain't that the way we are spose to work?
Old March 28, 2020, 12:08   #34
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern 7.62 View Post
Heard that brother. I've got more than I need and trying to help out those with less. No profit. Ain't that the way we are spose to work?
I help based on sense of person in need. Have given away reloading components, loaned with promise to replace when supply chain levels out, sold for same price paid and doubled my money or more on some based on persons character, mouth, and money abe to throw around.

When man driving a brand new Lincoln pickup comes in LGS and says he knows owner has rim fire hidden in back for friends, wants some and will pay any price just bring it out will part him with his money. Guy wants two boxes to take kids shooting will give a brick away. Guy who know owns two Dillon 1050s with every accessory plus more top dollar toys than me didn't buy components because his equipment is mostly for show and normally shoots factory ammo will load him up on supplies and price. When 90 year old man needs two cans of powder for his Hornets then sold for price on can without adding sales tax back.

People who never thought to buy a rifle till a panic and scare they won't have one to resell for profit later will hook them up at price that makes me happy. When ARs and ammo doubled during Sandy Hook and all local shops had waiting lists were a few guys on waiting list at all stores. I kept my name on list but often let my turn pass without buying. Most of these guys were "investing" at hight of market, not when low. After Sandy Hook bubble ended saw one guy bring two rifles and ammo back to one store, one rifle with ammo and magazines to another with his receipt wanting full refunds on all put back on credit card purchased with.

Owners told him those rifles, ammo, magazines were half price due to supply now and they would not refund money but issue store credit and man left both places mad. Owners told me others tried the exact same thing. Like buying stock at top of market when see others cashing out profits and crying when it tanks. I thought guy was dumb not to take offer of store credit and owner more than generous. Guy could have gotten credit, come back and left with a pair of ARs plus 50% more ammo in a few weeks then have doubled the rifles to profit on next panic if sat it out. Guess he promised wife would make quick money and didn't want to come home with more rifles.

Some people you help, some you help a lot and others you have to let them help you. Capitalism is a good thing as is charity. Help a brother in need who is struggling but the man who lives in sprawling mansion in rich neighborhood with family driving a fleet of six figure cars then take his money. Felt no shame in selling rimfire, rifle/ammo packages during Sandy Hook as let every buyer who paid double name price willing to pay. They knew what it cost on gunbroker and would short me a hundred bucks or so thinking they made out good.

I always have at least 1,500 rounds of 45, 1,000 of 9mm, same in 38/357, 40, 7.62×39 plus plenty of rimfire at work, indoor range and anyone who wants to shoot is welcome to shoot my ammo at no cost on my range at no cost. Funny how many won't put "reloads" in their pistols but will burn half a brick of Thunderbolt rimfire. It's my incentive to keep a flow of local cops and firefighters coming through so know the place well and keep an eye on it. No different than always keeping a pot of coffee with free refills for anyone who stops. Cops love free coffee.

Felt no shame in making almost a good years salary when sold a pile of crusty 1886 Winchester bought back when collectors snubbed noses at rifles that had a host of issues 30 year before. When collector hears of cashe finding a 50-110, 40-90, 45-90, 40-70 and several other low production number cartridges in one spot others was unheard of in any condition. A man could in one shot, fill all the gaps in a collection and have working rifles to shoot a the range because were restored not original it drew just the right guy at right time. He likely paid more for restoration than I paid for rifles but he was happy and I needed to pay medical bills. Man flew from out west to local airport on a private business jet with his gunsmith to make the deal. Men who fly in private jets to buy guns can afford to pay full retail even for ugly rifles with rare accessories.

Lament selling a lot of SP1 ARs for half of current value one time needed money. When panic is full on will help people I know need it but if smell someone whose intent is to wait and flip for more they pay real close to panic market price. If feel should have known to have powder and primers to feed a pile of progressives when the supply of loaded ammo runs dry, will load them at market. Most supplies I sold during Sandy Hook were to guys who had waited two weeks to a month for their first Dillon machine during midst of panic and had nothing to feed it with. Wait till panic to start reloading and pay panic prices. I can be very gracious or very aggressive with price based on buyer. Have to do what it takes, did last paying job in system yesterday and have a $7,000 per month overhead to pay with all my clients closed and not ordering any product. If flu drives up gun and ammo prices may have to leverage to pay bills. Won't be any charity if it comes to that.
Old March 28, 2020, 22:31   #35
tally
Registered

FALaholic #: 71121
AOBC

I still see a full supply in the shops and online. AOBC stock hasn't gone drastically up either. Any demand may be still rather small compared to the run on ammo or what ARs were produced earlier are still sitting in the warehouse and the production hasn't been ramped up to caused earnings estimates to go up.
tally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2020, 23:58   #36
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I bought a case of 5.56 and two cans of 6.8 yesterday at same prices was paying in January. LGS is getting regular shipments but sell out of ammo when arrives in about 1.5 business days. Then wait a day and next shipment comes. They have added 25% as people are happily paying it. Rifles are still plentiful and same price at LGS as before flu panic began.
Old March 30, 2020, 17:19   #37
wingnut152
Registered

FALaholic #: 82238
I know I’d be sitting on far more ammo if we didn’t have to move across country every couple of years with the military. Bulk ammo gets heavy real fast.
wingnut152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2020, 11:57   #38
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut152 View Post
I know I’d be sitting on far more ammo if we didn’t have to move across country every couple of years with the military. Bulk ammo gets heavy real fast.
Be happy to warehouse it for you and ship as need, ;-)
Old April 02, 2020, 13:49   #39
pmf
Registered

FALaholic #: 2923
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Funk View Post
I have not seen a sustained increase in AR prices due to this virus thing. This was a sudden event though, and the current stock was severely depleted before prices had a chance to jump. Now with the ammo crunch, is anyone seeing prices for these rifles climb?

krf
1. Everyone who has ever wanted an AR-15 has three
2. Any outfit that makes guns makes AR-15's
3. They're cheaper than AK-47's
4. There is not a single round of ammo for sale in the U.S. -- especially 223.

I never even wanted an AR-15 and I have one. Bought a case of steel core Wolf for it and then found out i can't shoot it at the indoor range I go to (its about the only alternative around here). It's tempting to put both up for sale for $3500.
pmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 03, 2020, 14:40   #40
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Getting ammo shipped at least twice a week including 5.56. Many vendors not listing on websites but sell to customers with owners personal email. It's not a hoarding issue but shipping logistics issue if advertise as overwhelms their servers and staff. Had 800 rounds of 6.8, 1,000 of 22 mag, 800 rounds of 458 SOCOM, 500 rounds of 77 grain IMI 5.56 Razorcore and 1,200 rounds of M193 ball arrive just this week as of this morning. Just have to be a regular power buyer. LGS is still getting two shipments per week from their sources.