The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old March 21, 2020, 06:49   #1
vhmgun1
Registered

FALaholic #: 83732
Slickside bolt carrier

I am looking for an early slickside bolt carrier. Anyone know where one might be? If you have one how much? Thanks
vhmgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2020, 11:57   #2
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhmgun1 View Post
I am looking for an early slickside bolt carrier. Anyone know where one might be? If you have one how much? Thanks
Expect to pay $300+ if you can find one.

On that note, be careful, a lot of fakes out there.... and no shortage of part humping shysters looking to take advantage of the ignorant.
Old March 21, 2020, 19:49   #3
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Actually there are at least a dozen counterfeit slick side Colt parts for each genuine item. Am saddened by how many good fakes of everything the Chinese are making and selling on U.S. market. Have three Eotech L3 swing mount magnifiers of which two are fakes and one real. The fakes use a ring with L3 printed on ring rather than molded into body and dovetailed into mount. I aquire the two fakes for nothing to try and scavenge a pin missing in my real Eotech L3 mount but they do not fit and Eotech says pin is obsolete.

I have a lot of slick side parts but 90% are Smith & Wesson as people have had me swap their Smith slick sides to Palmetto forward assist uppers many times and don't want their slicks ice parts back. I like slick side uppers as have maybe used a forward assist twice in my life out of need. Usually can push bolt with thumb if needs a nudge. All my precision AR 10s build on DPMS Lo Pro slick side uppers due to extra meat and lack of need of forward assist on target/varmint/sniper rifle. Will look through mine for a Colt, assume it will have a "C" stamp somewhere. Unsure as don't own a slick side Colt but have a big box of bolt carriers.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2020, 12:47   #4
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Original colt slickside bolt carriers are not marked. Colt did not start marking carriers until late 1960s when other contractors (GM ect.) entered the mix.
Old March 25, 2020, 17:08   #5
AFeod
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 75606
I like the look of the slickside. I may have to build a 604 clone... gotta few projects ahead of it though.
Old April 20, 2020, 21:40   #6
eagle54
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 13033
Pics of a Early M16 Colt Slick Side Carrier And Early Chrome MP Bolt - No markings on Carrier as Lockjaw stated

NOT FOR SALE - FOR REFERENCE ONLY

Last edited by eagle54; April 29, 2020 at 18:12.
eagle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2020, 09:03   #7
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I have that bolt as came out of a Colt rifle well almost two decades ago and was used in my first XM177 clone. It is now in a M16 full auto carrier with a "C" stamp to make use of the forward assist in an early period correct Colt upper for the build with a chopped 1:12 barrel that spews anything heavier than M193 which goes unstable soon past the 100 yard mark. Generally shoot 50 grain projectiles when have a nostalgic mood to shoot it as have a more modern clone with 1:9 barrel that does what need for clanging steel on CQB type courses. Have not seen a carrier yet but keep finding more parts as continue the Chinese Flu/spring cleaning tasks have put off for years.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2020, 10:05   #8
Artigas
Registered

FALaholic #: 33849
If you're not above using a reproduction, Brownells has their chrome M16 BCG with and without serrations here.