The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old March 08, 2020, 11:20   #1
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
Colt Mk18

Just finished Colt Mk18 with new 10.3 upper assy and early Colt lower in 20,XXX range making it one of the large pin units. TA01NSN with another PEQ15 and KAC rails. Can is AAC and afraid a little bit about shooting its guts out with the 10.3 bbl. Getting about as hard to find 10.3 Colt bbls. as good original FAL bbls. Number on stock was my evacuation number in Vietnam. Semper Fi

[IMG][/IMG]
01BIRDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 08, 2020, 11:26   #2
1911Ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17513
Very nice!
Old March 08, 2020, 13:48   #3
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Very nice!
Old March 08, 2020, 16:22   #4
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Nice stick!
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 08, 2020, 17:17   #5
Tip_drill
Registered

FALaholic #: 82930
Very useful tool for getting in and out of vehicles... I like the ATPIAL PEQ too it’s either a ATPIAL or FMA
What is your favorite pattern generator shape?.. I like the doughnut of death... I have an Airsoft PEQ that I use to light up a stop sign that is about a mile away out here in the desert.

Last edited by Tip_drill; March 08, 2020 at 19:35.
Tip_drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2020, 21:56   #6
fly2.0
To Old To Give A F**k
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 79608
Very Nice MK18

((( Micro Galil / Colt )))
fly2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2020, 13:04   #7
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
Was the receiver from a rifle or sold as a receiver? Fed No-No to build a pistol on a receiver from a rifle.

Colt did sell a few large pin receivers solo...
nvcdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2020, 17:46   #8
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Why are you worried about using the AAC suppressor with the 10.3" barrel? Have suppressors literally tack welded and pinned to 10.5" barrels permanently that have thousands of rounds through them with no issues. Have four AAC quick change cans that use the same 51T Ratchet Mount and use them on AR pistols with barrels as short as 7.5" in 5.56 and 8.5" in 6.8 spc II burning 30% more powder and lobbing bullets double the weight of M193 ball.

While that is a stunning little boom stick I too am concerned about the rifle to pistol issue. When large pin receivers were the norm AR pistols were rare as most folks had rifles and SBRs. While the rule that says can build pistol into rifle and back again as the urge hits if 4473 registered it as rifle rather than "pistol" or "multi" but if registered rifle has to stay rifle or become a NFA SBR. Dumb but like braces and binary triggers still don't understand why ATF even allows either. Both seem contradictory to NFA.

While my FFL may do it incorrect for all I know, when have AR receivers come in they mark 4473 as multi as normally buy at least a pair, often six, twelve or the maximum of thirty units per 4473. Did four 4473s with 30 lowers per for same day when preferred LGS had two ATF guys inspecting their paperwork. ATF men were in back room using the big table employees ate lunch and when I walked in to retrieve the four boxes with thirty lowers per box had seen me so often the days were doing audit assumed I was an employee. Asked if Mr So&So was in store and said "I am he".

They asked if I had a minute or three to chat and sat down. Fairly sure I could have refused but figured a compliant chat at LGS beat a warrant served at work or home. They had already audited two other local LGSs over course of their two weeks in town and said they noticed my name on many 4473s for completed single firearms and multiple serial numbered 4473s of receivers at every shop in town. Asked me why buying so many receivers and showed them the shipping order on the units had in hand where paid $19 per lower for machined billed units and said were too cheap not to buy. Had deal with manufacturer, called every Thursday and if took all of the weeks cosmetic blems got the $19 price and anyone not buying AR 15 lowers for that price wold regret it later.

They asked me if sold any and truthfully answered I split occasional orders with store owner which he split his half off when came in the door. Otherwise all went into my vaults for storage and eventual builds. Asked how many I built which said one to four per month as time and money allowed. Asked about all the SIG pistols purchased from SIG dealer they audited week before. Discussed my "deal" where purchased all the 10mm, 45 acp, 40 Smith and 357 SIG trade ins from people who bought, kept two weeks to two months then traded in for 9mm due to recoil. Dealer had four counters of various model new SIGs and did not like to put out too many or actually any big bore trade-ins as slowed his sales of new units. He would pile all in back and I paid flat rate for all whether retail was $800 or $1,500 and most had less than one box of ammo down the pipe.

They were very inquisitive as saw my name pretty much in every months records of the three big shops 4473s on AR 15, AR 10, FN FAL, Remington 700 and other receivers along with so many firearms my belief is they were thinking may be a potential straw purchaser who was taking up north and reselling in places like NYC, Detroit and Chicago. Offered for them to visit my business or home anytime, warrant or not and would keep opening vaults till satisfied guns were staying in my posession, properly secured and behind monitored alarms. Even invited them to come use my indoor range at work.

They were very polite, totally understanding when explained prices I paid to which one commented he would do the same if he could get same prices and his wife didn't kill him. Both were super polite and four/five years later never amounted to anything which feel would have without that impromptu conversation. ATF does filter through stores 4473s on occasion and power buyers need to realize it and be squeaky clean. If I build a lower as a rifle first I leave as a rifle rest of its life. Have too many lowers to not pull a fresh one for a pistol. I do not even swap uppers around on lowers, especially anything short barreled.

Just dropped under the 100 total unit AR 15 lower count and if find a deal will buy more in bulk. Have an AR 10 deal going now but it requires minimum of two lowers and two bolt carrier groups per transaction to get my price. That said just got in some DPMS lowers just because Remington has shut down DPMS and wanted more and worked a deal on mix of AR 15 and AR 10 units. From 1994 till ban expired, Y2K panic, Sandy Hook bubble, post Las Vegas micro bubble and other demand/supply disruptions have been good to me because am always buying when cheap. The vast majority of items sell are on my logs over a decade before sold. That's a hard case to make as straw purchasing for profit as still keep way too many even when prices go loopy. All that said I would look at original paperwork on any older receivers in my inventory before built a pistol on them.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2020, 09:46   #9
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Why are you worried about using the AAC suppressor with the 10.3" barrel? Have suppressors literally tack welded and pinned to 10.5" barrels permanently that have thousands of rounds through them with no issues. Have four AAC quick change cans that use the same 51T Ratchet Mount and use them on AR pistols with barrels as short as 7.5" in 5.56 and 8.5" in 6.8 spc II burning 30% more powder and lobbing bullets double the weight of M193 ball.

While that is a stunning little boom stick I too am concerned about the rifle to pistol issue. When large pin receivers were the norm AR pistols were rare as most folks had rifles and SBRs. While the rule that says can build pistol into rifle and back again as the urge hits if 4473 registered it as rifle rather than "pistol" or "multi" but if registered rifle has to stay rifle or become a NFA SBR. Dumb but like braces and binary triggers still don't understand why ATF even allows either. Both seem contradictory to NFA.

While my FFL may do it incorrect for all I know, when have AR receivers come in they mark 4473 as multi as normally buy at least a pair, often six, twelve or the maximum of thirty units per 4473. Did four 4473s with 30 lowers per for same day when preferred LGS had two ATF guys inspecting their paperwork. ATF men were in back room using the big table employees ate lunch and when I walked in to retrieve the four boxes with thirty lowers per box had seen me so often the days were doing audit assumed I was an employee. Asked if Mr So&So was in store and said "I am he".

They asked if I had a minute or three to chat and sat down. Fairly sure I could have refused but figured a compliant chat at LGS beat a warrant served at work or home. They had already audited two other local LGSs over course of their two weeks in town and said they noticed my name on many 4473s for completed single firearms and multiple serial numbered 4473s of receivers at every shop in town. Asked me why buying so many receivers and showed them the shipping order on the units had in hand where paid $19 per lower for machined billed units and said were too cheap not to buy. Had deal with manufacturer, called every Thursday and if took all of the weeks cosmetic blems got the $19 price and anyone not buying AR 15 lowers for that price wold regret it later.

They asked me if sold any and truthfully answered I split occasional orders with store owner which he split his half off when came in the door. Otherwise all went into my vaults for storage and eventual builds. Asked how many I built which said one to four per month as time and money allowed. Asked about all the SIG pistols purchased from SIG dealer they audited week before. Discussed my "deal" where purchased all the 10mm, 45 acp, 40 Smith and 357 SIG trade ins from people who bought, kept two weeks to two months then traded in for 9mm due to recoil. Dealer had four counters of various model new SIGs and did not like to put out too many or actually any big bore trade-ins as slowed his sales of new units. He would pile all in back and I paid flat rate for all whether retail was $800 or $1,500 and most had less than one box of ammo down the pipe.

They were very inquisitive as saw my name pretty much in every months records of the three big shops 4473s on AR 15, AR 10, FN FAL, Remington 700 and other receivers along with so many firearms my belief is they were thinking may be a potential straw purchaser who was taking up north and reselling in places like NYC, Detroit and Chicago. Offered for them to visit my business or home anytime, warrant or not and would keep opening vaults till satisfied guns were staying in my posession, properly secured and behind monitored alarms. Even invited them to come use my indoor range at work.

They were very polite, totally understanding when explained prices I paid to which one commented he would do the same if he could get same prices and his wife didn't kill him. Both were super polite and four/five years later never amounted to anything which feel would have without that impromptu conversation. ATF does filter through stores 4473s on occasion and power buyers need to realize it and be squeaky clean. If I build a lower as a rifle first I leave as a rifle rest of its life. Have too many lowers to not pull a fresh one for a pistol. I do not even swap uppers around on lowers, especially anything short barreled.

Just dropped under the 100 total unit AR 15 lower count and if find a deal will buy more in bulk. Have an AR 10 deal going now but it requires minimum of two lowers and two bolt carrier groups per transaction to get my price. That said just got in some DPMS lowers just because Remington has shut down DPMS and wanted more and worked a deal on mix of AR 15 and AR 10 units. From 1994 till ban expired, Y2K panic, Sandy Hook bubble, post Las Vegas micro bubble and other demand/supply disruptions have been good to me because am always buying when cheap. The vast majority of items sell are on my logs over a decade before sold. That's a hard case to make as straw purchasing for profit as still keep way too many even when prices go loopy. All that said I would look at original paperwork on any older receivers in my inventory before built a pistol on them.

Good things to consider in your post. While this was a old purchase as a receiver only i have replaced it with a stripped bare receiver and will probably pin and weld a old M-4 1000 18 tooth can as they were prone to work loose anyway. I was making reference to fire control pin size in original post not pivot pin when i said large pin but this is a "no issue " now.
01BIRDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2020, 12:08   #10
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Only time I have had an AAC quick change suppressor shoot loose was on my 8.5" 1:9 6.8 spc II AR pistol with one of the Battle Arms Development short buffers. Thought it was just the issues with huge combination of non milspec parts till realized the suppressor adapter was bought used from an employee at LGS who had returned his AAC can twice after having issues shooting loose first trip back till he over torqued it upon return when lossened up and it got stuck on an adapter. He decided to abandon the 51T system and sold the can and all adapters.

Examining the two adapters I purchased from him (one still in used parts box) compared to one's on my rifle and new units teeth were obviously rounded off and measured smaller diameter than even my oldest. When I install an AAC 51T mount can I hold the latch depresses till can hits end of threads, release and twist for one click. Till using his adapter this has always worked for me. Asked him in detail about his mounting habits to which he always spun can on "clickity-clickity-click" till it locked up. First time AAC sent his can back said the latching pawl was worn not allowing it to engage teeth securely.

He only had one SDN 762 and moved it constantly around on a half dozen rifles. I have two SDN762s and two SDN762-6s which means can have four quick change cans mounted on rifles at a time and seldom have to move. Holding my latch depressed entire time installing or removing one means at most the can will clock over a tooth while has pressure is one or two teeth. Removed the suppressor adapter I purchased from him and the 8.5" 6.8 spc II AR pistol has never had a can lossen under fire since.

Have watched many uTube videos, especially with the 5.56 full auto quick change can taking a baffle or end cap strike and landing down range. A few have shown shooter installing the can and each time seen an installation followed by a strike or launch the shooter spun the can on clickity-clickity-click". I can't say for sure but have worn to many parts out on many items over the years and the more metal on metal contact the quicker wear seems to become an issue. Just a thought, may want to try a fresh adapter if having positive lock issues and see if it helps. Have marked both adapters purchased from him as emergency installation only.

Have taken to buying suppressors made from a company about a half hour from me for "pin jobs" that have good internals but are totally sealed and very low price point. Some have a shoulder with two flats making them easy to pin if prefer, some threads are internal and spot welding the housing to shoulder of barrel threads is only easy method. Have found an easy method to clean pinned cans, especially after using suppressor cream to eliminate first round pop and reduce dB level on first few shots till can is pressurized and cream is mostly expelled. Put a hook in the ceiling over my ultrasonic cleaner with cord that can easily adjust length. Remove upper, drop bolt carrier group in ultrasonic then hang the upper from rear receiver lug allowing the suppressor to hang suspended in the ultrasonic. When finished, oil and reassemble.

I would have a hard time welding a quick change can till exhausted other options. That said the full auto rated AAC 5.56 quick change can has a reputation for shooting loose under heavy full auto use. Is it a issue with design or wear due to operator handling practices? Can't say for sure but mine see a lot of binary use and occasional full auto with only the one issue that I resolved with careful observation and a micrometer.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote