The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old February 02, 2020, 10:16   #1
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
300 Blackout thoughts

I am usually a few years trying something new and the Blackout was no exception. I am amazed how much fun it is to shoot especially with heavy subsonic rounds and find 100 yd. hits on steel no problem with the PEQ15/PVS14 combination. With a good can i to am amazed how quite it is and with the TA01NSN daylight shots are as easy. Haven't shot any supersonic but would guess some really light rounds would bring velocity back to something other than a snails pace.

What are your thoughts on this round and any changes you might have made that you found helped it. This is a 7.5-1/8 and i'm using a 9MM buffer and standard spring,bolt/carrier. I realize the limitations as far as suppressed range but supersonic/no can might prove to be a good weapon.

Thanks[IMG][/IMG]
01BIRDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 02, 2020, 10:21   #2
hkshooter
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Was just today reading an article about this very thing. The round makes a nice subsonic poof round but if you are wanting to go supersonic for better terminal performance the 300BLK doesn't appear to be your round. Start upping the speed and pressure and accuracy goes to shit.
Seems to combat this very thing is why Wilson developed the 300 HAM'R.
Old February 02, 2020, 10:36   #3
01BIRDDOG
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
Was just today reading an article about this very thing. The round makes a nice subsonic poof round but if you are wanting to go supersonic for better terminal performance the 300BLK doesn't appear to be your round. Start upping the speed and pressure and accuracy goes to shit.
I will study up on that round also as i know "0" about it. Guess i will just keep it in the 100yd. suppressed range especially at night type weapon.
Thanks.
Old February 02, 2020, 10:53   #4
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
If 100 yards is your happy place 300 BO will work.

For me, if I want to do low recoil .30 caliber, I’ll download .308 with Cheerios (Trail Boss ) in a bolt gun.

Can still reach out as far as I can call wind with full power load.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 02, 2020, 10:58   #5
yovinny
Old Fart
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
I can only speak for it in a 16" carbine, as my experience with it in a pistol is limited and I have little use for any caliber or firearm subsonic.

I think its a great caliber for what it is, a modernized, better M1 Carbine equivalent. In that it shoots better bullets with better accuracy and better velocity, in an AR thats has just tons of customizable options out there. It has limitations, as does 30 carbine, 556 or anything else.

Right now the biggest limitation I see is ammo cost with no cheap factory range ammo, so unless you reload its about twice the cost of 556.
If you reload, get a box or 2 of bullets, load up some supersonic and test it out....And read my 300HAM'R thread below....
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 02, 2020, 11:03   #6
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
I like it. Gives u a definite edge at night & quiet enough to avoid attention. Very slick. JD Jones would be proud. Ifn i light off the fal in urban environment every popo on the force will come to visit.
https://blog.thegunsandgearstore.com...-aac-blackout/

Just member the .300 Whisper
0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 02, 2020, 11:41   #7
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
Quote:
I have a respectable pile of Wisconsin whitetail deer accumulated over the past few years taken with 110gr Barnes Vortex in 300 BLK that would disagree, if they could talk. Not sure where your statement about upping velocity & pressure comes from, but it is not true in my experience. I won’t hunt with a gun/me combo not capable of 1.5 MOA, and each of the two rifles I have chambered in 300 BLK meet that criteria easily.

I won’t argue that 300 HAMR has higher numbers on paper than 300 BLK, but that holds little value to me in actual application. It becomes an argument similar to .308 vs 30-06, or insert any other caliber cat fight, where the arguments of “better” are purely subjective.

The only things it “out performs” 300 BLK in is paper ballistics. Cool, but it wasn’t designed to do the same things. I haven’t found any discussion on subsonic/suppressed performance or even subsonic ammo a availability. 300 BLK was designed to be suppressed. Doesn’t look like 300 HAMR was, so already it becomes an apples to oranges argument. 300 BLK is effective across two different worlds of application. You can do subsonic suppressed fun/clandestine night time suburban pest control with or without a short barrel and hunt medium sized game with supersonic ammo and a long barrel effectively out to 200 yds or so. 300 HAMR appears to excel only at the latter half of that utility spectrum.

Not saying 300 HAMR isn’t a welcome choice to the arena of .30 cal AR hunting rifles, because it looks to fit that role very, very well. I am saying that counter to all the gun rag marketing bloviations and fawning over it being born of the unimpeachable genius of Bill Wilson, it doesn’t negate the role of 300 BLK nor does it even look like it can compete with what 300 BLK was designed to do. At the upper ends of 300 BLK capabilities it will be beat by 300 HAMR numbers, but that doesn’t make the 300 BLK obsolete or any less relevant or capable.

I’m saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about what’s enough. And for God’s sake, think about who you are.” - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 02, 2020, 12:19   #8
Sig220
Registered

FALaholic #: 11622
My opinion follows Tuhlmann's and just want to add that its a fun carbine/pistol to shoot and load for!

I would rather load and shoot it then any other AR I have which includes 308, 223 and 9mm. I don't venture into the "exotic" cartridges like 350.458, etc because I am trying to keep my reload calibers consistent.
Old February 02, 2020, 13:41   #9
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
Ditto om Mr. Tuhlmann"s views of the 300 BLK round. 110 gr. Barnes black tips out of my 16" carbine does everything expected at reasonable ranges. Both in terminal effect as well as accuracy. For suppressed, heavyweight subsonic loads, my Rattler pistol makes for a quiet and accurate and fun to shoot weapon. It's hearing safe for home defense and won't freak out the cows outdoors. For movie quiet, I use a 700 Remington with a Mcgowen 300 BLK barrel. Bolt gun is hands down the best choice for being extremely quiet and accurate.

I'm not a match shooter or a pro hunter, but between these three weapons described above, there isn't a coyote or a zombie that is safe in my area. There are better cartridges out there for long range shooting, for taking medium sized game, and for suppressed usage as well. But while the 300 BLK is the master of none, it manages to cover all bases very well indeed. It's your money...spend it how you like and be happy.
Uriah Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 02, 2020, 14:44   #10
yovinny
Old Fart
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuhlmann View Post
I have a respectable pile of Wisconsin whitetail deer accumulated over the past few years taken with 110gr Barnes Vortex in 300 BLK that would disagree, if they could talk. Not sure where your statement about upping velocity & pressure comes from, but it is not true in my experience. I won’t hunt with a gun/me combo not capable of 1.5 MOA, and each of the two rifles I have chambered in 300 BLK meet that criteria easily.

I won’t argue that 300 HAMR has higher numbers on paper than 300 BLK, but that holds little value to me in actual application. It becomes an argument similar to .308 vs 30-06, or insert any other caliber cat fight, where the arguments of “better” are purely subjective.

The only things it “out performs” 300 BLK in is paper ballistics. Cool, but it wasn’t designed to do the same things. I haven’t found any discussion on subsonic/suppressed performance or even subsonic ammo a availability. 300 BLK was designed to be suppressed. Doesn’t look like 300 HAMR was, so already it becomes an apples to oranges argument. 300 BLK is effective across two different worlds of application. You can do subsonic suppressed fun/clandestine night time suburban pest control with or without a short barrel and hunt medium sized game with supersonic ammo and a long barrel effectively out to 200 yds or so. 300 HAMR appears to excel only at the latter half of that utility spectrum.

Not saying 300 HAMR isn’t a welcome choice to the arena of .30 cal AR hunting rifles, because it looks to fit that role very, very well. I am saying that counter to all the gun rag marketing bloviations and fawning over it being born of the unimpeachable genius of Bill Wilson, it doesn’t negate the role of 300 BLK nor does it even look like it can compete with what 300 BLK was designed to do. At the upper ends of 300 BLK capabilities it will be beat by 300 HAMR numbers, but that doesn’t make the 300 BLK obsolete or any less relevant or capable.
I agree with everything you said and applauded your results and marksmanship...

BUT,,,,if I had a deer for every one I heard about that was shot and lost in just my gun club alone, especially its first few years of popularity,,,I wouldent need to ever shoot another deer in my life time....

Its very true better knowledge and bullets have luckily reversed that situation for the better in the last few years and people have learned its limitations, but the first few years were just murder and the fact remains it has absolutly nominal power for most deer hunting and probably more importantly, most deer hunters.....
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 02, 2020, 15:40   #11
01BIRDDOG
Registered

Good reading on all the above and i agree with all of the responses.

Lets try a quick question and a quick answer. So many weapons with each offering their own special purpose. Having said that gather all of them up with a representative of each......FAL, SCAR, M-1A, all the denominations of AR-15, all of the HK family and your best long range bolt gun. The question is if you only had to pick one with 20 mags and 1K of ammo no matter what the conditions,range,day or night,suppressed or not. I can see now all of my junk is just a passing thing from one to the other just like the Blackout i just finished. I would like to think it would be my SCAR 17 with 2.5X10 Nightforce for everything so i leave everything else laying and go with that with a probable range of 250 yds. or less given the geography of my area of operation.

What is your answer pick one, your vest with plates and mags. and a 50 cal.can of your cal. ammo and go or stay in your compound but only one pick. This should be fun.
Old February 02, 2020, 16:28   #12
K. Funk
Retired Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
I have an AR and a Remington 700 in .300 BO. The 700 is a hoot to shoot and groups quite well at 100 yds with 200-220 gr subsonic. I have tried Magtech and S&B so far. The AR is a little picky, the 1020 and 1050 fps loads do not always cycle the action. The S&B loads are a little faster and I get a pretty good crack out of some of them with the suppressor attached. I think they are right on the edge of super sonic. I need to let it break in a little more. I also have to work on hand loads for it.

As far as the one rifle. Not sure, but I am pretty sure it would be semi auto, be .308 and have a scope. That narrows it down to a few.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 02, 2020, 16:57   #13
hkshooter
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuhlmann View Post
At the upper ends of 300 BLK capabilities it will be beat by 300 HAMR numbers, but that doesn’t make the 300 BLK obsolete or any less relevant or capable.
I never said the BLK was obsolete or less relevant, just that it may not be so suitable for what the OP said he's looking for.

Here's what I read, do with it what you choose.

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...00-hamr/358869

I have zero experience with either round, the 300BLK I have no use for and the 300HAM'R I'd never heard of so did a little reading.
Old February 02, 2020, 17:01   #14
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
I have a 300 blk.

I much prefer the 9x39 though. It's hands down better all around.

Especially range.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 02, 2020, 18:41   #15
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
Quote:
I never said the BLK was obsolete or less relevant, just that it may not be so suitable for what the OP said he's looking for.

Here's what I read, do with it what you choose.

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...00-hamr/358869

I have zero experience with either round, the 300BLK I have no use for and the 300HAM'R I'd never heard of so did a little reading.
I get it. But it is suitable, and that is my point. The OP already has a 300 BLK and sounds happy with it. Strapping on a standard length barrel and shooting supersonics will get him a completely capable rifle at reasonable ranges. He didn’t state what his purposes are, and I do have experience with 300 BLK so I shared my experience with the 110gr Barnes out to 200 yds as anecdotal evidence that it is a capable combination.

To the OP, one change I made was to dedicate a hunting rifle to 300 BLK. I leave the SBR AR as is. I have the AAC Micro 7 as a hunting rifle. No particular reason other than I prefer a bolt for treestands, frozen environments, and just plain tradition when it comes to deer season. It was also an excellent, simple first rifle for my kids to learn on. That Micro 7 is one handy little rifle, and I enjoy it a lot. The SBR stays configured as is, suppressed with an 8” barrel. It’s a giggle-maker for sure.

That’s it for changes. Not sure if swapping uppers to shoot supers will require a different buffer. Another option would be to use an adjustable gas block on the upper you wish to shoot supers on. I would do one or the other, but not both. My purpose-built setups eliminate any buffer/gas system tinkering that may lead to frustration. Hope that helps.

I’m saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about what’s enough. And for God’s sake, think about who you are.” - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 03, 2020, 21:18   #16
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
I have found 300 Blackout plenty accurate and you don't want to be on the other side of a supersonic 110-125g bullet at 100 yards.

I have a friend with his own 900 yard range on a farm and he played with 300 Blackout enough that he could get gong hits at 600 with it.

Obviously though it's a 100-200 yard cartridge and for a lot of us that's all we need. In recent years I have not shot as much 308 as I would have expected and due to the mountainous wooded terrain I live in my range only goes to just over 100 yards so 308 is a like a race car in a bath tub. Someone offered me a 6.5 Creedmoor rifle and I was like what the hell am I going to do with that?

I find reloading 300 Blackout can be a little bit of a PITA compared to other things but overall happy with it.
wanneroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 04, 2020, 11:54   #17
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
It's a "man must know his limitations" round. It's also a fantastic round within those limitations. I have a 10.5" that is my truck gun. It's loaded with Hog Hammers. I know I can take pigs out to 200ish yard effectivelybut inside 100 they are "DRT" lethal.

There are other things that add to the appeal though. Everything is 5.56 based, so no special magazines, bolts, or operating systems. It's exceedingly efficient, doing a lot for its case capacity. The magazine capacity is a tad higher than anything with comparable ballistics from a handgun. It's very comfortable to shoot. It's light. It's compact; I store mine in an old soft tennis racquet case with 3 magazines. It has better terminal ballistics than a lot of other cartridges within that 200 yd distance. It's easy to reload. It allows extended case life; I turn any 5.56 case that has a neck split or ding or damage into a BO case, so I get more uses from cases that are otherwise scrap. There are LOTS of bullet choices. It suppresses extremely well. It's accurate. Most importantly, it's really effective on 2-legged vermin, and is a significant advantage when the BG has a Hi-point 9mm.

So sure, there are better cartridges out there, but for the advantages it comes with the benefits outweigh the detractors for me. Show me another round that can do what it can do in pistol-sized AR packages, and I'll show you something that requires a lot of special parts and ammo to get you there.

As to the Ham'r… what they don't say in the article is telling as well. You don't get a comparison of pistol-length barrels, because that's not where the Ham'r plays. More case capacity means you need a longer barrel to use the powder there, and I'm guessing that like a 5.56, if you don't have adequate barrel length you don't get anymore velocity, but unlike the BO you'll get a mighty flash and bang. Flash and bang are just wastes of powder and brutal to be around. Despite the similarities it really is comparing a short screwdriver to a long one. They may have the same width but the usefulness is very different.

Last edited by jhend170; February 04, 2020 at 12:04.
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 04, 2020, 17:15   #18
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhend170 View Post
It's a "man must know his limitations" round. It's also a fantastic round within those limitations. I have a 10.5" that is my truck gun. It's loaded with Hog Hammers. I know I can take pigs out to 200ish yard effectivelybut inside 100 they are "DRT" lethal.

There are other things that add to the appeal though. Everything is 5.56 based, so no special magazines, bolts, or operating systems. It's exceedingly efficient, doing a lot for its case capacity. The magazine capacity is a tad higher than anything with comparable ballistics from a handgun. It's very comfortable to shoot. It's light. It's compact; I store mine in an old soft tennis racquet case with 3 magazines. It has better terminal ballistics than a lot of other cartridges within that 200 yd distance. It's easy to reload. It allows extended case life; I turn any 5.56 case that has a neck split or ding or damage into a BO case, so I get more uses from cases that are otherwise scrap. There are LOTS of bullet choices. It suppresses extremely well. It's accurate. Most importantly, it's really effective on 2-legged vermin, and is a significant advantage when the BG has a Hi-point 9mm.

So sure, there are better cartridges out there, but for the advantages it comes with the benefits outweigh the detractors for me. Show me another round that can do what it can do in pistol-sized AR packages, and I'll show you something that requires a lot of special parts and ammo to get you there.

As to the Ham'r… what they don't say in the article is telling as well. You don't get a comparison of pistol-length barrels, because that's not where the Ham'r plays. More case capacity means you need a longer barrel to use the powder there, and I'm guessing that like a 5.56, if you don't have adequate barrel length you don't get anymore velocity, but unlike the BO you'll get a mighty flash and bang. Flash and bang are just wastes of powder and brutal to be around. Despite the similarities it really is comparing a short screwdriver to a long one. They may have the same width but the usefulness is very different.
Very well stated. Another point to be made is that the Hammer barrel's twist rate is not conducive to suppressed usage due to the shorter Hammer bullet choices.
Uriah Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 04, 2020, 23:17   #19
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
I have a 300 blk.

I much prefer the 9x39 though. It's hands down better all around.

Especially range.
I think the 300 blk has a place: cheap way to go to 30 caliber in an AR even if you sacrifice some range. Only problem with it is people putting it in the wrong hole (5.56).

I do want to build me something in the 9x39 caliber. If an AK74 parts kit has gone out of my reach, let me see about doing something cheaper and on the other end of the spectrum.
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2020, 21:03   #20
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I built two 300 Blackouts and tore them down. Round had no redeeming qualities for me. 5.56 when want inexpensive plinking to 400 yard varmints, 22 Nosler when need more range from AR 15, 6.8 spc II is my favorite round as will kill anything from coyote past 400 yards with 90 grain TNTs and Elk to 250 yards with 110 grain bonded and two legged critters out to 600 with a significant thump then 458 SOCOM for my small subsonic AR 15. Never found anything 300 BO could do my 16" short gas suppressed FAL with Tubbs Absolute 2 Hole 355 grain duplex loads. A 155 grain thin skin hollow point up front with a 200 grain round nose heavy nested behind it an usually both projectiles hit target within two inches of each other at 100 yards and cycle to FAL with modified gas plug.

Have a six long gun rack bolted to wall next to headboard of bed. It has the 16" FAL loaded with Tubbs subsonic duplex, 458 SOCOM AR 15 SBR loaded with 550 grain subs, a 5.56 suppressed AR 15 with 16" White Oak barrel and 6x ATN Night Arrow starlight scope, 14.7" suppressed 6.8 spc II with 1x night vision compatable red dot running full power 90 grain Gold Dots, second 14.7" 6.8 spc II with 1-6x Vortex plus I.R. laser loaded with Gold Dots and finally a Browning A5 with a +7 or +8 magazine extension loaded with Winchester PDX1s. Like having a choice if it's clearing the house or having to go outdoors.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2020, 21:21   #21
jugrunner
Restless
Contributor

FALaholic #: 19911
you really running a 6/7 oz. buffer .. ?? .. I wus told maybe a H2 buffer in the 4.6 oz. range but I've "Been Told" lot's of stuff ..

I'm all ears ..
Old February 05, 2020, 22:48   #22
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
I .... 6.8 spc II is my favorite round as will kill anything from coyote past 400 yards with 90 grain TNTs and Elk to 250 yards with 110 grain bonded ....
I don’t know how elk hunting is done in Georgia, but here in the west we don’t mess around when we hunt elk. I feel under gunned with my 30-06 with 180 gr bullets. I normally carry my 300WSM or my 338-06 A-squared. While my 25-06 has taken two elk (117 gr @100-120 yards) and both ran 300 to 400 yards after they were hit. Both were solid heart & double lung shots. Both were taken while on a deer hunt that I just happened to have an elk tag in my pocket too and wasn’t planning on hunting elk but when they showed up, I couldn’t pass them up.

Not to argue with you Huey, but I wouldn’t hunt elk with 6.8 spec II much past 100 yards, it just doesn’t have the energy past 150 yards to make a clean kill past that range on an elk (elk are big 600-800lbs). My 25-05 is sending the 117 gr bullets at about 3100fps and has more than 2200 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle versus the 6.8 at abou 2650 fps and 1850 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle. Those are some big differences between tween the two with similar bullet weights (117 vs 115).
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2020, 23:12   #23
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhend170 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah Lee
Very well stated. Another point to be made is that the Hammer barrel's twist rate is not conducive to suppressed usage due to the shorter Hammer bullet choices.
Will you all please stop trying to convince me to buy yet another thing?!?!?

"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2020, 00:49   #24
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
Just another thing? You probably need about six to eight more things in three to four different specialty cartridges with specialty ammo. Add suppressors to all so no matter which you pick up don't have to worry horribly about hearing protection or easily giving your position away with muzzle flash. Sitting on posts at each corner of headboards of two bedrooms we use are MICH High Ear helmets with MSA Sordin hear through headsets/hearing protection with either Gen 3, 2+ or thermal night vision. Sometimes may have an extra half minute to pull on armor a lid and connect up headset to PTT so wife and I can coordinate if we team sweep the house. There is about $2,000 to $10,000 according to level of armor and how you set it up. You know you need it, just swipe the card brother. You will feel all warm and fuzzy once it's all fitted, outfitted and in easy reach.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old February 06, 2020, 11:03   #25
Bubacus
Registered

FALaholic #: 13971
I can also only talk about 16" carbine use. Very fun round to shoot, perfect 65 yard accuracy for plinking/casual use. Less recoil than an AK so it is an easy gun for 1st time shooters.
Old February 06, 2020, 13:08   #26
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
I know little about 300 BO in particular.

But I do know this about buffers in AR’s:
The buffer that is “sweet shootin’” when the gun is clean will be the reason for short-cycling when the rifle is dirty.

Choose wisely.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2020, 15:05   #27
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post

If it minimizes the sting at all now is the greatest time ever to do ARish things. Come to the dar...er… blacked out side!

Yeah.... I'm not known for my reading comprehension, but I'm great at spending other peoples' $$$.
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2020, 16:39   #28
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Another issue why I lost interest in the 300 BO is owning a large number of AKs, SKSs, 30 Carbines, etc. Already had a pile of low powered 30 caliber rifles that were cheap to feed. It was much more fun when it was the 300 Whisper and only wildcatters got to show off at the local range. When the BO came out to circumvent Whisper licensing. My barrels are actual 300 Whisper chambers with 1:8 twist which lobbed 240 grain pills nicely out to 75 to 100 yard range.

When suddenly 1/3 to 1/2 of the armchair warriors suddenly began swarming gun shops wanting 300 BOs just because of the internet and magazine buzz and the range masters at one of the public ranges I use said on weekends they were having one to three kabooms per Saturday due to guys sharing a bench and shooting a mix of 300 BO and 5.56 with half the BO ammo having 5.56 headstamps I stopped using that range on weekends as witnessed two kabooms in two hours myself. They are still having at least one or two 300 BO/5.56 mixups causing kabooms per weekend.

For the guy who only needs a short range weapon 300 BO is perfect, especially for home defense. It's a great new shooter cartridge as well. I really have no problem with it except for people who don't seem to be able to keep ammo and magazines properly segregated. I owned two wildcat cartridge rifles in my teens and over the years have had ARs, always at least a pair with different setups to test each cartridge and then cull the ones I decided didn't need.

So far have built or bought ARs in 20 Practical, 204 Ruger, 5.7×28, 223/5.56, 22 Nosler, 243 WSSM, TAC 6, 6.8 spc, 6.8 spc II, 270 AR, 300 OSSM, 300 Whisper/BO and 458 SOCOM can think of off hand. I pulled barrels from all four of my 20 calibers, 270 AR, 243 WSSM, 300 Whisper/BO and relegated the 300 OSSMs to rear of vault. Wife took the 5.7×28s and I only have 223/5.56, 22 Nosler, 6.8 spc II and 458 SOCOM that are out of vaults ever and in cirrculation. Am considering building a pair of 375 SOCOMs to play with but AR 10 projects have overwhelmed me. Have builds and store bought in 6XC, 308/7.62×51, 338 Federal and 6.5 Creedmoor. Have three more 6.5 build parts piled up.

In turn bolts I likely have at least a dozen wildcats from 22 Hornet Ackley Improved, 22 CHeetah up through 7mm Practical, 7mm RUM and 300 Gibby on the large side. Have thirty plus years experience of keeping ammo segregated when can have as many as five different cartridges with 308 headstamp. Have 22 CHeetah, 243, 7mm-08, 308 and 338 Federal all loaded in cases with 308 headstamp and sure am missing at least one. Have 25-06, 30-06 and 338-06 all loaded in 30-06 cases. Have so much practice making sure loading correct ammo in correct rifle no matter what headstamp says it's second nature to even when remove from well marked boxes after resizing to often mic a round before it goes in a rifles chamber. Fact that there are so many 5.56 headstamped 300 BO rounds and fact a mix-up can be catastrophic I have chosen to not be one of the victims of that mistake.
Old February 06, 2020, 20:48   #29
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post

The buffer that is “sweet shootin’” when the gun is clean will be the reason for short-cycling when the rifle is dirty.

Choose wisely.
Amen.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 07, 2020, 08:46   #30
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post

Choose wisely.
Pretty sweet shooting if you have about 30,000 rounds through it..

I recently replaced one of my A2 buffer springs that had about a minimum of 30K rounds through it. It still shot fine but would occasionally not hold open. The spring I replaced it with was about an inch longer.

It's amazing how sweet AR's shoot when broken in, none of that grinding sounds you get with a new one.
hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 07, 2020, 15:33   #31
jugrunner
Restless
Contributor

Well .. I "was told" I might need the heavier buffer to slow the thing down .. also decrease wear on the lower .. I've had a couple local builders suggest 4.6 oz. H2 Buffers to keep from beating your lower to death .. this is speaking of pistols only ..

also have a Franklin trigger installed .. my "Brace" is adj. just like any other 4/5 position Carbine butt so the tube is slightly shorter that most "Braces" ..

I'm looking for the short H2 buffer with the Tungsten weights ..

I know buffers can and will effect the overall operation of an AR .. trial and error but really no problems so far ..

Buffers are damn expensive I now know that .. !!!!!!!
Old February 07, 2020, 15:40   #32
jugrunner
Restless
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
Pretty sweet shooting if you have about 30,000 rounds through it..

I recently replaced one of my A2 buffer springs that had about a minimum of 30K rounds through it. It still shot fine but would occasionally not hold open. The spring I replaced it with was about an inch longer.

It's amazing how sweet AR's shoot when broken in, none of that grinding sounds you get with a new one.

I'm really looking forward to working with the 300 BO .. When I discovered a barrel and some brass was all I needed I was hooked .. !!! .. Maybe I can grind some "park" off the inside of mine and slick it up .. I bought 1k commercial "BO" brass so I need to get going .. warm weather is coming here soon .. maybe