Old October 02, 2019, 20:42   #101
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
You know what we need to do, right?

Build a $3,500 AR and a $350 AR, and shoot them for groups out to 1000 to see if there is any difference.
My prediction on this test:

If we built 5 of each for a total of 10 rifles.

Two would not function.

Two would be tack-drivers.

The other six would be solely dependent on the nut behind the trigger.

One of the tack-drivers would be a $350 gun.

One that would not function would be a $3,500 gun.

I would be very surprised of these percentages were wrong, and if so, it I'd bet money it would not be off by one or two in the ranges given.
Old October 02, 2019, 20:50   #102
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
We'll need your operational operator status to share that intel.

"Need to know" and all that.....ya know
Depends on your security clearance.

Mine was “Ludicrous” during the Cold War.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 02, 2019, 21:25   #103
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12v71 View Post
Excluding labor, can you really stack up $3500 in an AR?

I'll bring my sucky Oly 16" Bull barrel to the test. That's the one my kid slays millions of coyotes with.
1. Yes (I've got a spreadsheet...), and

2. Now we're talking! Exactly what I'm looking for.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 02, 2019, 21:38   #104
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Silver Contributor

1. Actually, no. But pretty near $3K before optics and mount...
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
Old October 03, 2019, 03:43   #105
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Silver Contributor

The Project has begun: I just bought a Deal of the Day rifle (kit) from PSA for $299. The only thing I have to supply is a lower, which I think I can do for $51.00. I'm going to keep the price of the optic out of the rifle cost calculations, but i'm going to put some cheapo on there to see what happens.

Next up... convert expensive parts into expensive rifle. I've got a Noveske Stainless 'match'/SPR barrel with gas block waiting to become something special.

More later as the parts start to come in. Let the hate begin to flow...
Old October 03, 2019, 04:38   #106
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan Raider View Post
Depends on your security clearance.

Mine was “Ludicrous” during the Cold War.
You talkin' about Fight Club?

Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 03, 2019, 07:48   #107
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
I was originally going to leave it alone, but then he dropped the "this one works where all those others you have to tinker with and $#!+ just to get them to run so ha ha jokes on you for not paying $3K for a $1K AR." BS. I have ARs I have close to $2K in and ARs I have less than $400 in, and all run fine, without tinkering.

Fugg him. If he had come in sharing the high points of an AR not many had heard about then fine, whatever, but when you $#!+ on every other AR to essentially claim yours is the only one that works you deserve the wrath you get.
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 03, 2019, 08:14   #108
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
I think Shakespeare wrote a play about this.

"Much Ado about Nothing", IIRC.

You guys have too much free time on your hands D

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 03, 2019, 08:45   #109
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Blasty Carbine pelts haters with brass like it thinks it’s a Mini-14.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 03, 2019, 10:12   #110
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
You guys have too much free time on your hands D

Same amount of hours in the day as everyone else. How much you get done is up to you.
Old October 03, 2019, 10:49   #111
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:

Same amount of hours in the day as everyone else. How much you get done is up to you.
True dat - and I ain't been gettin' NUTTIN done

Okay, I'm on board. Gonna sell my two cheapie PSAs ( that work just fine and shoot better than I can ) and look for a super whizbang AR. I'm thinking I want to be more of an operater than you guys so I guess I'll be out $5-6k, but it will be worth it. Prolly make my unit bigger too.

How am I doing ?

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
Old October 03, 2019, 11:14   #112
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:

Okay, I'm on board. Gonna sell my two cheapie PSAs ( that work just fine and shoot better than I can ) and look for a super whizbang AR. I'm thinking I want to be more of an operater than you guys so I guess I'll be out $5-6k, but it will be worth it. Prolly make my unit bigger too.

How am I doing ?
That's the spirit!

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 03, 2019, 11:37   #113
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

I recently gave away a home-built 20" HB that I built for about $400, but I kept my Colt National Match HBAR.

The intrinsic value is vastly different between the two, but the group size is not. Both shoot better than I can.....
Old October 03, 2019, 12:02   #114
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Without spending for a carbon wrap barrel a Bartlien with the CLE chamber profiled by one of the few companies that specialize in turning their blanks into AR 15 barrels will run about $600 and doubt can find any that shoot significantly better but some $400 barrels may shoot as well or nearly as well. When spend that much in a barrel I like to order a hand matched bolt from the barrel vendor which based on their choices can add almost another $200 so with shipping we are at $800 for as good of a barrel/bolt combination a person could use. Most super high end barrels I buy usually come with rifle +2" or rifle +3" gas systems and include their recommended block and tube installed.

Have used a myriad of matched heavy wall line bored billet receiver sets and hope to have one of the Noveske Gen 3 billet matched sets soon but for stiffest possible upper it's best to skip a forward release and use a slick side. Of the half dozen top hand matched heavy wall receiver sets with line bored pin holes your looking at $600 to $650 for your receivers. I would use a PRI carbon fiber handguard unless purchased a receiver that had a specific handguard specifically designed to mate to it but add $300 to $350 for handguard.

Whether prefer two stage or single stage if want a drop in trigger with adjustability the Timney Calvin Elite 1.8 pound trigger at $250ish is about all you can get out of a drop in unless your really familiar with tuning then rehardening your engagement surfaces after modifying them. If want a stock that can be fit to anyone properly then the White Oak Armament WOP 6-Way Adjustable Buttstock Assembly at $425 is about all you can spend. Of course some will have to go with a palm shelf tactical pistol grip at $50 while some will machine a billet grip to fit their hands while others just plain prefer a stock $5 grip but let's say $50 for a palm swell tactical since we are building a fantasy or silly priced rifle for grins.

I have built $2,000 plus parts price rifles and $1,000 total parts price rifles which based on range and conditions the more expensive rifle doesn't always win. If someone tells me we are shooting at 1,000 yards only the rifle I may build will have length and twist of barrel best optimized for projectiles commonly used for this and may not shoot for cap at 100 yards. Have some rifles that are near one hole wonders at 100 but groups begin falling apart at 200 to 250 yards. All this said for the price of the rifle in the deleted thread can pile up the absolute best individual parts for every facet of any type build from a general purpose SDM/SPR rifle going in the hands of someone who may die if can't easily shoot minute of man at 800 yards to a very specific rifle for off hand shooting or bench rest shooting only.

My pair of 26" White Oak Armament turned Kreiger blank tube will shoot with anything out to 600 yards with no wind. Like my 22 CHeetah bolt rifle they are specifically built to launch 52 grain SMKs. Try shooting anything heavier in these rifles and they pattern like a shotgun. Of course they only have one purpose which is small varmints from 300 to 600 yards and sometimes farther. If least bit of wind or odd atmospheric conditions from weather may have to totally switch from long bore 1:12 twist tube to a 20" 1:6.5 twist launching heavy VLDs.

This is one reason why I have so many different rifles, like the fisherman with a dozen rods already set up,with a different lure or golfer with 17 different clubs in the bag if looking to meet a very specific goal to your best ability a general purpose rifle won't always get it done. I will often carry up to four or five rifles into a varmint blind on a big field. If a crow or ground hog waddles out 120 yards from me no sense in squeezing off a round from the 22 CHeetah. In same reasoning no sense in trying to hit a crow at 450 yards with the 22 Hornet. Have really learned to lean on AR 15s to do my varmint work from 200 to 500 yards based on getting behind a 5.56 or 22 Nosler when a flock of crow land in that mid range killing zone.

To pull any single AR 15 from anyone's line and say it's the best is ludicrous. Best at what? Define the parameters and if say it's a general purpose rifle then I will always default to a quality 18" Mk 12 Mod 0 or Mod H clone. If tell me have to clear a structure then am taking a 10.5" suppressed 6.8 most likely. We need little carts with racks on the back to hold our fleets of rifles as we work and throw in some pretty girls driving beverage carts with cold Cokes and sandwiches. Can I choose to bring my AR 10s in 6XC and lie about them just looking bigger than an AR 15 due to y'alls new bifocals to this F Class event? Wonder if someone makes a plastic housing my 7mm Practical turn bolts will drop in and look like a poodle shooter?

The best AR 15 made does not exist as hand me any and will find something it doesn't like to do well.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 03, 2019, 13:12   #115
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Silver Contributor

Quote:
My prediction on this test:

If we built 5 of each for a total of 10 rifles.

Two would not function.

Two would be tack-drivers.

The other six would be solely dependent on the nut behind the trigger.

One of the tack-drivers would be a $350 gun.

One that would not function would be a $3,500 gun.

I would be very surprised of these percentages were wrong, and if so, it I'd bet money it would not be off by one or two in the ranges given.
I'd love to have the money to try this.

I don't think the $3,500 gun doesn't run if it's put together properly - but that being said, I have a $979 Proof Research barrel that has an out-of-spec chamber straight from the factory, so maybe it *is* a 1-in-10 failure rate.
Old October 03, 2019, 13:13   #116
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Silver Contributor

Quote:

How am I doing ?
KICKING ASS!!

You remind me of this guy...

Last edited by brunop; October 03, 2019 at 13:29.
Old October 03, 2019, 13:32   #117
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
We need little carts with racks on the back to hold our fleets of rifles as we work and throw in some pretty girls driving beverage carts with cold Cokes and sandwiches...
Now you're talking!
Old October 03, 2019, 14:55   #118
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Now you're talking!
+1000

Old October 03, 2019, 14:55   #119
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
KICKING ASS!!

You remind me of this guy...

Never too old to learn from the masters

Old October 03, 2019, 20:39   #120
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Silver Contributor

Update: I just pre-ordered my NoBeto PSA lower for 49.95, so I have $1.01 left to spend.

I'm prolly going to buy a Raiders sticker - if I can find one for that cheap. I also just bought a hand guard for $339. It has Titanium screws for the barrel nut, and looks really Operator-like. So the hand guard of the one rifle is roughly the same price as the entire other rifle.

I can feel my Operator-ness growing...
Old October 03, 2019, 20:51   #121
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Update: I just pre-ordered my NoBeto PSA lower for 49.95, so I have $1.01 left to spend.

I'm prolly going to buy a Raiders sticker - if I can find one for that cheap. I also just bought a hand guard for $339. It has Titanium screws for the barrel nut, and looks really Operator-like. So the hand guard of the one rifle is roughly the same price as the entire other rifle.

Hmmm...

Sounds like you're using this as an excuse to buy operator shit without taking flak from us...

Just sayin'...

Forrest

Last edited by ftierson; October 04, 2019 at 12:53. Reason: Spell 'flak' right... Misspelling was bugging me - OCD sucks
Old October 03, 2019, 20:57   #122
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
is this still a poodle shooter thread?

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 03, 2019, 20:57   #123
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
I'm prolly going to buy a Raiders sticker - if I can find one for that cheap.
Don't buy one....

One might just magically show up in your mailbox soon
Old October 03, 2019, 21:03   #124
12v71
Registered

FALaholic #: 71127
Quote:
Don't buy one....

Please discuss...
Old October 03, 2019, 21:29   #125
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Don't buy one....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12v71

Please discuss...

I'm glad someone remembers.
Old October 03, 2019, 21:33   #126
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:

I'm prolly going to buy a Raiders sticker ....

Don't be a boob.

Old October 03, 2019, 21:34   #127
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
Hmmm...

Sounds like you're using this as an excuse to buy operator shit without taking flack from us...

Just sayin'...

Forrest
I've got a ton of operator shit that I never mentioned before, so I'm not needing an excuse.

Now maybe your theory can be amended to something like me needing to let everyone in on my "little secret" so the self-flagellation can be augmented with pain and hate from the group...

Or, alternately, I just happen to have a lightweight AR project lining up for the Run 'n' Gun thing, and some of those parts cost a decent amount of money and I'll 'loan' them to the other parts I already have (target rifles, etc.) to create my $3K wondergun for a shooting test against the erstwhile PSA - which I actually hope wins the contest by shooting almost equally well AND hangs in there for 1000 rounds (or something) so I can part out my expensive shit, buy 10 PSAs, and have many thousands of dollars left over for my Airstream Savings Account.
Old October 03, 2019, 21:36   #128
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb59 View Post
Don't be a boob.

I'll be the dog dish kicker...

Last edited by brunop; October 04, 2019 at 10:33.
Old October 04, 2019, 05:51   #129
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
Thats not a boob. Its a plastic dog dish implanted into a flat chested chick. An operator should know the difference. Further, those kind of girls are expensive, diverting resources from AR builds.
ByronF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 04, 2019, 07:38   #130
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronF View Post
Thats not a boob. Its a plastic dog dish implanted into a flat chested chick.
Looks like a boil that needs to be lanced..lanced alot.

Carlos Castenada
TenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 04, 2019, 08:12   #131
MilsurpMonkey
Red-headed Step Child
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 75965
Old October 04, 2019, 08:17   #132
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
This thread needs theme music

Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 04, 2019, 08:51   #133
Douglas S Graham
Registered

FALaholic #: 19332
I thing Brunop should donate .89 cents to the NRA, and keep the change for something else. Maybe penny candy.
Douglas S Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 04, 2019, 10:19   #134
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas S Graham View Post
I thing Brunop should donate .89 cents to the NRA, and keep the change for something else. Maybe penny candy.
Speaking of penny candy (WARNING, thread drift), do they still have it?

Forrest
Old October 04, 2019, 10:31   #135
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Silver Contributor

Quote:
... (WARNING, thread drift)...

Forrest
Old October 04, 2019, 11:27   #136
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Speaking of penny candy (WARNING, thread drift), do they still have it?

Forrest
I know a girl who's tough but sweet
She's so fine, she can't be beat
She's got everything that I desire
Sets the summer sun on fire

I want candy
I want candy
I want candy
I want candy

Go to see her when the sun goes down
Ain't no finer girl in town
You're my girl, what the doctor ordered
So sweet, you make my mouth water

I want candy
I want candy
I want candy
I want candy

Old October 04, 2019, 13:44   #137
ByronF
Registered

This thread needs a ce limerick.
Old October 04, 2019, 15:04   #138
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
I'd love to have the money to try this.

I don't think the $3,500 gun doesn't run if it's put together properly - but that being said, I have a $979 Proof Research barrel that has an out-of-spec chamber straight from the factory, so maybe it *is* a 1-in-10 failure rate.
Bought a $900 carbon wrap barrel that was so out of spec could eye-ball it without tools or magnification. Near as I could tell is where the steel began to thin past the chamber and throat area to the final diameter that ran to just before muzzle they somehow warped or slightly bent the tube before or during the carbon wrap process. Was planning on building a pair of 7mm-08 AR 10's and wanted to compare a carbon wrap to a heavy profile stainless barrel.

When looked down bore from either end I thought my glasses had a loose lens or something till dropped a laser boresighter in chamber and realized the center of laser beam was just clipping the outside rim of the muzzle meaning from throat to muzzle thus a ~0.138" bend or bow to barrel. I was very tempted to take a chamber cast to see if I could pick up on if it was kinked just past throat but was afraid they might somehow figure out I had done a cast and blame overheated chamber cast as the cause of warped tube.

I was actually relieved as this barrel purchase was ordered and took long enough to ship I purchased an M1a Loaded in 6.5 Creedmoor and the 7mm-08 AR 10 desire was fading fast. They offered to replace the barrel but claimed a two week turn around which I sad had waited too long already to finish rifle and had a stainless barrel on the way just refund the card. Am super glad with the way it turned out but may buy another carbon wrap barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor for next AR 10 project so can put in a forward assist upper already in the cabinet. Used my last heavy wall matched set of AR 10 receivers on the 6.5 heavy profile barrel and have a pair of DPMS forward assist receivers that can put skinny, short or carbon barrels in without worry of how rigid the upper is.

As to poodle shooters glad to hear W.E.G.'s Blasty Lil Carbine is whacking folks in the head with brass. That's one good way to separate operators from armchair experts. If the shooter seems to enjoy hot brass bouncing off his forehead and doesn't pay it any attention he may be an operator. If they wince and pause then they may need to return to their computer keyboard. Is it still marking up the brass? If not then put another couple thousand rounds through it and brass should start landing closer to 5:00 then 6:00 as parts get some wear and springs lossen up. Best shooting 45 I ever held threw every piece of brass just over my head with on occasional piece crowning me. Most people 5' 10" and under brass sailed overhead if gripped the pistol properly and if 6' 2" and over every piece of brass kissed their forehead then bounced to rear.

I would say with ammo tuned to almost every AR 15 build in my fleet drops brass between 3:45 and 5:00 with most making neat little piles right at 4:00pm. May have to swap buffers and change gas settings a couple times but with their primary load I like my brass to pile up consistently with minimal looking for strays if shooting from a single position. But my golf club analogy front seat of my pickup will often have four rifles in spring when it's prime crow and early ground hog season and both are intent on eating after the winter ends. Have the 6.8 behind seat in lock for zombie apocalypse then 22 Hornet turn bolt, 5.56 Wylie AR, 22 Hornet AR and 22-250 Ackley Improved turn bolt. That covers most varmints might encounter from 100 to 600 yards without having to use an under or overpowered rifle for an opportunity that may arise.

Am going to have to either build another 22 CHeetah or be very judicious in use of the one I have as burned throat in one last spring and had rebarreled in 6.5 Creedmoor to have a second 6.5 turn bolt. When smoke the remaining CHeetah it may become a 6mm of dome sort as tired of rifles that need throats lapped every 500 to 600 rounds and barrels replaced at 1,000 to 1,200. Of course a 0.224" rifle launching 4,300 fps SMKs is a wonderful tool in the kit. Have some rifles I built as mid grade projects that turned out to be top notch shooters.

Purchased an ARP 18" 5R melonite mid weight barrel for an attempt at a all purpose 6.8 that was built more in a tactical or milspec manner than varmint or paper punching rifle. When tuning gas it was putting factory loaded XM68GDs inside of 1 MOA almost every group. Got it tuned and broke in then next trip after a few fouling shots resigned for my 90 grain Speer TNT handloads which all projectiles get run through swaging die and then through a pointing die to true the tips. All are loaded in cases that have every trick plausible to true them as well then after loading leave 100 out of 1,000 as is for my bolt actions then the rest get run into a factory crimp die for a light crimp to hold bullet in place as seat almost to magazine length.

A rifle with a $190 barrel, basic SIG upper, $19 blem lower, Colt Competition Target trigger ($29 thanks CDNN for that sale), $99 SIG carbon fiber "A2" stock and a "free" Nikon 2.5-10x scope groups 5/8" to 7/8" five shot groups from the magazine all day long. Have first round cold bore ground hog and coyote kills with it out to 282, 285, 296, 305 and 308 yards. It will be going out most days in the golf bag as want to see if I can bag a first round cold bore 350 yard varmint kill with a $190 barrel. Built a copy using another barrel with same specs but shoots 1 MOA at best with 1.25 MOA being it's worst. Have a pair of ARP 20" 3R barrel builds have only function tuned and not sighted in with glass yet that intend to try with 110 grain accubonds to see if one will surprise me as much as the one 18" 5R did. Every man needs poodle shooters in 5.56, 6.8 and 22 Nosler IMHO and a 8.5" suppressed 458 SOCOM or two make wonderful "should not have come in my house" rifles when do not want to wake the wife till the cops show up the haul off the carcass. It won't be long before we are talking about the past few years of AR wrenching like the days of sub $100 FAL kits. Why I keep laying back parts so if prices tripled tomorrow still have a year of building piled in parts locker.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old October 04, 2019, 15:46   #139
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Why I keep laying back parts so if prices tripled tomorrow still have a year of building piled in parts locker.
Amen.
Old October 04, 2019, 16:39   #140
4x401
Registered

FALaholic #: 31978
Quote:
and a 8.5" suppressed 458 SOCOM or two make wonderful "should not have come in my house" rifles when do not want to wake the wife till the cops show up the haul off the carcass.
Damn Huey,

Your thoughtfulness for the misses brings a tear to my eye...good on you!

"Put your thumb up, hit the bolt release, and quit phuking with God and Eugene"
4x401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 04, 2019, 18:27   #141
ByronF
Registered

Huey, last of the true romantics.
Old October 04, 2019, 18:48   #142
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
This thread needs a ce limerick.
ce has a bad case of the grumpy, since Vince drank all the beer.

A brag thread begun by Guy-Epic

A 3 thousand AR ? I'm dyspeptic

He apparently saw

He was getting hoorah'd

And his butt needed some good antiseptic

So we now have a replacement thread

Forrest, to thank it is said

Byron wants limericks

I'm hoping this one clicks

Tho' I'm posting off the top of my head

Brunop has gone off the deep

His wallet and bank account weep

Operational stuff

And PSA fluff

One too much, the other too cheap

It remains to see the straight poop

Of which rifle will actually group

Do 55 grainers

Do a half-gainer

Or pattern in sort of a loop ?

Tactical fanbois abound

They believe their opinions profound

Hammer-forged Chrome-lined

They say love you long time.

All I hear is a loud sucking sound

Old October 04, 2019, 19:07   #143
ByronF
Registered

I'm lazy. Imagine a GIF of R Lee slow clapping with a pissed off face in his campaign hat. Probably doesnt exist.
Old October 04, 2019, 20:51   #144
4x401
Registered

FALaholic #: 31978
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb59 View Post
ce has a bad case of the grumpy, since Vince drank all the beer.

A brag thread begun by Guy-Epic

A 3 thousand AR ? I'm dyspeptic

He apparently saw

He was getting hoorah'd

And his butt needed some good antiseptic

So we now have a replacement thread

Forrest, to thank it is said

Byron wants limericks

I'm hoping this one clicks

Tho' I'm posting off the top of my head

Brunop has gone off the deep

His wallet and bank account weep

Operational stuff

And PSA fluff

One too much, the other too cheap

It remains to see the straight poop

Of which rifle will actually group

Do 55 grainers

Do a half-gainer

Or pattern in sort of a loop ?

Tactical fanbois abound

They believe their opinions profound

Hammer-forged Chrome-lined

They say love you long time.

All I hear is a loud sucking sound

G-d damn!

You use your tongue prettier than a 20 dollar whore!!

"Put your thumb up, hit the bolt release, and quit phuking with God and Eugene"
4x401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 04, 2019, 23:56   #145
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Silver Contributor

I can't quite get to the $3K threshold unless I buy some things that I don't really believe in: titanium ejection port cover, titanium pins, carbon fiber receiver extension, etc. So I'm at roughly $2,400 - until I put a US Optics 1-8 scope on it.

I'd like to post again my VERY STRONG OPINION that you should NEVER buy a US Optics scope in case they decide to screw you like they did me and other people. I roughly hate US Optics the way Mark Graham hates DSA - so you prolly get the picture.

Finally, I apologize to the God of Heaven and all Right Thinking People for buying Troy products, but I didn't know that they hired Lon Horiuchi *after* he shot Vicki Weaver until a year or so ago. I don't have the money to replace all the Troy products I've purchased, so until I can afford to make a video of me throwing all their shit in a furnace and turning it into aluminum ingots, Troy can pound sand.

On to the build, which is complete except for the stock with adjustable LOP:

Noveske SS target barrel
Noveske low pro gas block
Griffin Armament 3-prong FH w/ taper-mount for silencer
Troy M-Lok 15" free float hand guard
Vltor MUR upper (the stiffer-than-mil-spec upper that Noveske branded until they got their own thing...)
Noveske BCG + bolt
Noveske lower (Gen III)
Giessele trigger (fancy whatever - I don't remember)
Luth AR MBA-2 stock + A2 rifle extension + LOP extension (for my long, geeky neck...)
Vortex (American Defense Manufacturing) Cantilever Scope Mount

US Optics 1-8

Roughly $5,200 total, though $200 of that was in the US Optics Cerakote "option". I'd like to point out again that I didn't go out and drop $5K for this experiment: I robbed various new and new-ish components off of other rifles and screwed them into an expensive target-like rifle. I did, however, buy that PSA kit and lower the second I had an excuse to hit their Deal Of The Day...

PSA stuff isn't here yet.

Kit = $299
Lower = $49
Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 = $299
Vortex Cantilever Mount = $50
RAIDERS STICKER ?

Rifle = $348
Scope + mount = $349
total = $697

Don't have the 10:1 ratio I was aiming at, but it isn't that far off. I'm going to start shooting groups with the one rifle this weekend. Stand by...

Last edited by brunop; October 05, 2019 at 01:10.
Old October 05, 2019, 01:32   #146
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

$2,200 to $2,500 is the most I have ever been able to spec in total parts for an AR 15 sans glass with $2,200 average street price in parts on one rifle. While the parts totalled $2,200 if bought best deal from top five websites majority of mine were purchased at wholesale, clearance or mismarked blems. I get a lot of $400 to $500 barrels where engraving department put wrong chamber or twist on first three or four when moved to their department from final Q.C. in profiling department and based on company, employee, manager or owner speak with have purchased $475 barrels for $100 each or less but I have to scrub and restamp or have engraved.

It's very easy to run over $1,000 in parts even bargain shopping. Where I get stuck is glass. Currently own at least six top quality AR 15's without glass waiting to find a deal and two AR 10s waiting on a deal to float by. When rifle needs a $1,000 or $2,000 scope sometimes they get function and accuracy checked with a scope I keep just for that purpose (6-24x Vortex) then remove scope and tag rifles maximum accuracy node and wait for the right scope to find me. If have too can always slap $499 sale scopes on them if have too but some shoot so well waiting for right glass is no issue as have more than enough rifles with $2,000 and up street price scopes along with $500 to $1,200 scopes to fill at least a half dozen golf bags.

Have a bolt action being built that is getting a $5,000 retail scope when finished but what I am spending to have this rifle built would be a waste without the scope chosen. I lucked out and purchased the scope from the estate of a man who died before his dream rifle was finished which got me a March 6-60x Genesis scope which had been mounted and ready to deliver rifle. Smith called owner, got his wife who was distraught to discover her husband owed over $10,000 on a single rifle and luckily the smith had a client wanting an almost exact copy of what was built but did not want a 60x ranging scope with 400 MILS of elevation adjustment. I offered up $3,600 assuming I would never own it and about a month later the guys brother called and said if my offer was still good they would take it. Now waiting for my two mile rifle to be finished. Figure if I buy a two mile rifle then should be one mile capable in my hands. Not a poodle shooter by any means but a stay out of my neighborhood rifle for sure.

I occasionally have a mid range build supreme me and shoot as well as my top tier AR 15 builds but my guess is even the folks making $200 to $250 barrels screw up and let an exceptional barrel out the door on occasion. Then if put said barrel in right upper and realize it's potential to properly scope it sometimes a man gets lucky. That said a cut rifling Bartlein, Lilja, Krieger, etc barrel well profiled and assembled in good receivers is most likely going to be a shooter. Have some Lothar-Walther barrels purchased in bulk years ago from a mismarking error (that opportunity is never to be had again) that am still building on as money permits that shoot extremely well.

I have totalled up "fantasy parts lists" using the most expensive everything and can total up $5,000 in parts with enough titanium and carbon fiber. Only thing is when blindly dropping the most expensive bolt carrier group, barrel, receiver, gas system and such can find have no idea if those pieces and parts will even function when assembled together. May bind up and never feed a round reliably. I like my tried and true formula that will find in most White Oak and Compass Lake uppers as seem to always be happy poodle shooters that work. I really miss White Oak dropping AR 10s from their product line but it did present me with a bargain or three as they cleared the building and test shop.
Old October 05, 2019, 06:47   #147
ByronF
Registered

If you assembled it with patriotic music playing on loop, wearing multicam, and drinking Black Rifle Coffee then the hype would have pushed it well over $3500.

https://youtu.be/tzW2ybYFboQ

Last edited by ByronF; October 05, 2019 at 06:55.
Old October 05, 2019, 09:47   #148
Douglas S Graham
Registered

FALaholic #: 19332
Anybody that has the funds to buy a 3000.00 AR should seriously be buying a Scar 16. A LOT more gun for the money, IMHO.
Douglas S Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 05, 2019, 10:06   #149
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Silver Contributor

Quote:
If you assembled it with patriotic music playing on loop, wearing multicam, and drinking Black Rifle Coffee then the hype would have pushed it well over $3500.

https://youtu.be/tzW2ybYFboQ
I was drinking frou-frou sparkling water from France (tons of 'minus points'...) out of my BRCC mug (net neutral?) while listening to classic rock.
Old October 05, 2019, 10:08   #150
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Hey, I like Black Rifle Coffee...

Probably partially because of the servers at SHOT...

Forrest