The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Optics

Notices

Old July 26, 2019, 17:39   #1
adbm3
Registered

FALaholic #: 61973
Scope for a G1 Mount - what and where?

Well, the collector instinct got the best of me and I bought the G1 mount that The Dealer Warehouse was offering. It clearly is a 22mm scope tube strap mount. I tested the mount curvature/diameter against several of my Leupold scopes including a VX-III that has a 25.4mm body - all were too big to fit the mount curvature properly. So, my problem is locating a 22mm tubed scope, which are not exactly the most popularly produced scope at this time.

I did do some research and found the following:
* M1d replica (M84) - offered at a reasonable price by Numrich. My understanding is that the Greek army used these so I would have a somewhat period correct item.
*Hensoldt Wetzlar ZF4 - Most likely the most period correct but I haven't seen one for sale.
*OIP 3.6 - forget it. unobtainium
*Lyman Alaskan - the commercial version of the the M1c scope (M82). Very pricey and non adjustable.
* Hensoldt Diapl-D 2.5 - Available and reasonably priced although it haven't been able to figure out if they are built to take the abuse of anything larger than a .22 since the discussion on capability is vague.

So, I would appreciate any advice and guidance that anyone has.
adbm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2019, 17:55   #2
hkshooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbm3 View Post
Well, the collector instinct got the best of me and I bought the G1 mount that The Dealer Warehouse was offering. It clearly is a 22mm scope tube strap mount. I tested the mount curvature/diameter against several of my Leupold scopes including a VX-III that has a 25.4mm body - all were too big to fit the mount curvature properly. So, my problem is locating a 22mm tubed scope, which are not exactly the most popularly produced scope at this time.

I did do some research and found the following:
* M1d replica (M84) - offered at a reasonable price by Numrich. My understanding is that the Greek army used these so I would have a somewhat period correct item.
*Hensoldt Wetzlar ZF4 - Most likely the most period correct but I haven't seen one for sale.
*OIP 3.6 - forget it. unobtainium
*Lyman Alaskan - the commercial version of the the M1c scope (M82). Very pricey and non adjustable.
* Hensoldt Diapl-D 2.5 - Available and reasonably priced although it haven't been able to figure out if they are built to take the abuse of anything larger than a .22 since the discussion on capability is vague.

So, I would appreciate any advice and guidance that anyone has.
This is one of the main reasons I won't buy this mount, nothing but an original scope will fit and for the money, modern optics are leaps and bounds better. Even the some of the cheapest modern optics outshine the old units.
My only advice is to try to find a shop or someone with the tools and ability that can recut the saddles to 1" radius. This would allow a host of modern scopes to be used. You may also have to obtain longer straps for the larger diameter tube.
Old July 26, 2019, 18:27   #3
jimmieZ
Registered

FALaholic #: 319
I have one of these mounts (22mm) and have a $160 Lyman Alaskan mounted. Sarco has a real nice replica M82 scope for $220 on their site. I have one on my M1C clone. The TDW mount works real well and holds zero well.

Jim
jimmieZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2019, 18:47   #4
adbm3
Registered

Thanks for the comments. I guess I should have been clearer in saying that I bought this as a collector - to be period correct. I can always use my Argentine mount with a picatinny conversion rail if I want to use the latest wiz bang multi adjustable sniper thingy.
Old July 27, 2019, 08:07   #5
hkshooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbm3 View Post
Thanks for the comments. I guess I should have been clearer in saying that I bought this as a collector - to be period correct. I can always use my Argentine mount with a picatinny conversion rail if I want to use the latest wiz bang multi adjustable sniper thingy.
I'm sorry, I got stuck on you trying to fit a modern Leupold to the mount.
Old July 27, 2019, 12:35   #6
adbm3
Registered

No problem. I simply used the Leupolds to test the diameter to make sure I was really dealing with a 22mm diameter mounting surface.