The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old May 22, 2020, 15:23   #1
SAMFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 84078
FAL Modernization Obstacle

I love you FAL traditionalists. Please don't thread crap too hard. I would love to have a traditional FAL in my collection, but that will come later.

It has taken many years for me to get this thing moving. I'm trying to have a more modern FAL built up based on an ACR build that Gunplumber showed off in his gallery. I've attached a picture to show you roughly what the build looks like.

My main problem right now is that I haven't been able to obtain a pic railed gas block like in the attached picture. DSA won't sell one to me. I've already placed a marketplace ad. No one else seems to make one.

It also isn't as simple as finding a machinist to modify an OEM gas block to have a pic rail on top as there are also rail alignment issues that would only be solved by someone who has an existing modernized FAL to allow the proper measurements to be taken.

Any thoughts on what I should do if I can't obtain a DSA railed gas block? The build would just feel odd with an unusable front sight post on the gas block. I guess I could just hire someone to flatten out the top of the gas block if I had to.

So the plan was:

(1) Imbel receiver para nose cut for para conversion

(2) DSA FAL SA58 Metric PARA Lower Trigger Housing (061P)

(3) DSA FAL SA58 Picatinny Alloy Insert For Rear Sight On Lower Trigger Frame (106-PIC)

(4) DSA FAL SA58 Extreme Duty Scope Mount - Extended Length PARA Model (620AEP-A)

(5) Lear70 ACR high mount adaptor

(6) Slo Cat gap filler (not using a charging handle)

(7) DSA folding cocking handle (046FOLDNOCUT-A)

(8) Lear70 wide foot mag release

(9) Some kind of railed M-LOK handguard at the front instead of the keymod in the attached picture

I'm not listing all the 922r parts because most of those are fairly common, and no one cares about those.

https://ibb.co/N2YFp8M

Last edited by SAMFAL; May 22, 2020 at 15:24. Reason: Image link
SAMFAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2020, 15:38   #2
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMFAL View Post
DSA won't sell one to me.
DSA "won't sell you one", or they do not have any currently available????
Old May 22, 2020, 15:49   #3
SAMFAL
Registered

Both?

I received 2 different answers from 2 different DSA reps. One said they won't sell them to individuals anymore due to improper usage. Another indicated that it might be a supply issue when he said they might be offered again if they do another production run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
DSA "won't sell you one", or they do not have any currently available????
Old May 22, 2020, 16:03   #4
OLDMANPBK
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978
If all else fails you could modify your standard front sight like this and mount your front back up sight on the railed forend.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?"
-Patrick Henry-

Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.

If you ask the government for a permit, you are admitting that you don't have a right.
OLDMANPBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2020, 16:14   #5
SAMFAL
Registered

Great picture! Your modernized FAL?

If so, any quirks you noticed from using this build?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDMANPBK View Post
If all else fails you could modify your standard front sight like this and mount your front back up sight on the railed forend.

Old May 22, 2020, 16:21   #6
OLDMANPBK
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

Not mine. I'm planning on building one eventually.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?"
-Patrick Henry-

If you ask the government for a permit, you are admitting that you don't have a right.
Old May 22, 2020, 16:25   #7
SAMFAL
Registered

I like the VLTOR CASV, but was kind of disappointed to find out that others have said that it is not really a free-float handguard despite what their website says. I also wish they had made a new version which uses M-LOK.

I know that VLTOR is a US based company, but is the CASV an American made 922r part? I see nothing on their own website declaring it as such.

Quote:
Not mine. I'm planning on building one eventually.
Old May 22, 2020, 16:44   #8
sparkeyboaz
Paid Lifetime Faloholic
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 50566
Front sight block.

I at one time had the railed front sight gas block you are looking for.
I believe I sold it some time ago.
I do have a solid, unmachined Inch front sight gasblock.
If you have a machinist lined up it would be something to start with.
I bought it from a seller in England.
I didn't realize it was totally unmachined.
It cost $35 plus shipping.
I would gladly take $35, shipped for this cool paperweight.
P.M. me with a number I can text pics to if you want to see it.
Sparkeyboaz
sparkeyboaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2020, 17:06   #9
OLDMANPBK
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

Quote:
I like the VLTOR CASV, but was kind of disappointed to find out that others have said that it is not really a free-float handguard despite what their website says. I also wish they had made a new version which uses M-LOK.

I know that VLTOR is a US based company, but is the CASV an American made 922r part? I see nothing on their own website declaring it as such.

I looked at my rail, the instructions and the box it came in and don't see any clue as to where it was made. I would guess that it's made in the USA but so far can't prove it.

Now I can prove it.

-Patrick Henry-

Last edited by OLDMANPBK; May 22, 2020 at 21:31.
Old May 22, 2020, 18:53   #10
bigstick61
Registered

FALaholic #: 45299
How does using an ACR stock compare to DSA's modernized stock offering?
bigstick61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2020, 19:17   #11
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
This has all been covered many times.

The ACR stock is great but you will no longer be able to use regular FAL sights as the ACR stock raises the sight line. You will have to use a set of BUIS sights.

The ACR stock sets the standard for modern rifles but currently isnt a good fit for an FAL. The DSA stock is better as it lets you use standard sights.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.

Last edited by Thorack; May 26, 2020 at 06:38.
Thorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2020, 15:10   #12
Fang
Registered

FALaholic #: 53310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorack View Post

The ACR stock is great but you will no longer be able to use regular FAL sights as the ACR stock raises the sight line. You will have to use a set og BUIS sights.

The ACR stock sets the standard for modern rifles but currently isnt a good fit for an FAL. The DSA stock is better as it lets you use standard sights.

Thorack
Came here to post something similar to this. If you can avoid adopting the AR's ludicrous height over bore, do it!
Fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2020, 17:29   #13
bigstick61
Registered

FALaholic #: 45299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorack View Post

The ACR stock is great but you will no longer be able to use regular FAL sights as the ACR stock raises the sight line. You will have to use a set og BUIS sights.

Thorack
Never read much here on the subject.

Looking at the DSA BRS, I kinda wish they had worked at incorporating the FAL hinge design instead of going with the ACR-style. This is what IMBEL did with the adjustable stocks for the IA2 (which, like the BRS, are designed not to cause issues with use while folded). Incorporate a cheek riser into it, and you have both adjustments plus a rather solid hinge design. I couldn't find a picture of the adjustable stock folded on the 7.62mm version, but it should have similar placement as the fixed-length folding stock shown. That angle doesn't show it, but on the 5.56mm version from a different angle, the stock appears to permit accessing the trigger besides not interfering with ejection. Looks like IMBEL did away with the button/lever for the hinge, though, like the DSA hinges. I kinda like the hinge with the button better.

I wish the new IMBEL furniture, at least, was available here in the U.S. (it'd be nice if the import ban for barrels, receivers, and complete rifles went away, too).

bigstick61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2020, 09:41   #14
SAMFAL
Registered

I appreciate the confirmation!

Quote:
I looked at my rail, the instructions and the box it came in and don't see any clue as to where it was made. I would guess that it's made in the USA but so far can't prove it.

Now I can prove it.
Old May 24, 2020, 09:54   #15
SAMFAL
Registered

You and me both... In a better world, people wouldn't be afraid of *foreign parts* and the ban would be gone. I know it is more complicated than that, but I wish it wasn't.

I regularly go back and forth on the DSA BRS and the ACR for the FAL. I'm not sure I will ever be able to get a hold of the railed gas block I want. I will spend some time reconsidering how to make use of the front sight post again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick61 View Post
Never read much here on the subject.

Looking at the DSA BRS, I kinda wish they had worked at incorporating the FAL hinge design instead of going with the ACR-style. This is what IMBEL did with the adjustable stocks for the IA2 (which, like the BRS, are designed not to cause issues with use while folded). Incorporate a cheek riser into it, and you have both adjustments plus a rather solid hinge design. I couldn't find a picture of the adjustable stock folded on the 7.62mm version, but it should have similar placement as the fixed-length folding stock shown. That angle doesn't show it, but on the 5.56mm version from a different angle, the stock appears to permit accessing the trigger besides not interfering with ejection. Looks like IMBEL did away with the button/lever for the hinge, though, like the DSA hinges. I kinda like the hinge with the button better.

I wish the new IMBEL furniture, at least, was available here in the U.S. (it'd be nice if the import ban for barrels, receivers, and complete rifles went away, too).

Last edited by SAMFAL; May 24, 2020 at 09:54. Reason: removed image links
Old May 24, 2020, 15:54   #16
Edgartwib
Registered

FALaholic #: 80246
Here's my take on the modernized FAL. Its a 8.5 OSW pistol. I saw this pistol brace adapter on Facebook and thought it would look good. Its made by someone on the files heres company...Lear70 i believe?
I got it yesterday and put it all together. I had to use my Rhodie Para lower because the OSW lower was not milled for para nut. I actually like the look. I lucked onto the OSW at a pawn shop a while back... I talked him from $800 to $650 before taxes. It turns out to be in the serial# range of the in house forged receivers with a DSA#2284X. It runs 100%. The locking shoulder i noticed moved its way out after a little shooting 150rds. I was easily able to press it back down when I was cleaning it afterwords, but that is something I will pay attention to.

It took these pictures this morning in proper falfiles form with the last of our california champagne from our morning Mimosas and my toe visible.

Edgartwib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2020, 20:53   #17
Fiorina
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 66202
Quote:
Both?

I received 2 different answers from 2 different DSA reps. One said they won't sell them to individuals anymore due to improper usage. Another indicated that it might be a supply issue when he said they might be offered again if they do another production run.

What does “improper usage” mean?
Old May 27, 2020, 15:01   #18
Cavadus
Registered

FALaholic #: 72900
Just got a DSA BRS and installed it last week; shot with it on Sunday. Ran about 300 rounds through my FAL.

I like it a lot. Sight picture with my irons is great. It sits higher than the standard para folder but that's actually nice because you can use a cheek weld rather than chin weld.

Was very comfortable to shoot with, though. I'll have to beat it up a little to speak to it's durability but initial impression was great.
Cavadus is offline   Reply With Quote