The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old February 22, 2019, 21:19   #1
HelpiFALanCantGetUp
Registered

FALaholic #: 66011
Gun Finish Options?

i finally got around to working on this RIA Commander. I plan on replacing the trigger components and springs for sure and possible a few other smaller parts. while i order the parts i want to get a start on what type of finish to go with. im looking for something low maintenance and durable.

thanks,

Last edited by HelpiFALanCantGetUp; February 22, 2019 at 22:01.
HelpiFALanCantGetUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2019, 21:50   #2
pl521
Registered

FALaholic #: 74645
Soak entire pistol in transmission fluid for a couple of days to loosen up rust. Remove all rust. Clean with dawn and warm water then degrease with break cleaner. Fully dry parts thenapply Duplicolor DE 1634.
pl521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2019, 21:52   #3
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Parkerize it.

Why is there a citi bank link at the end of your post?
Old February 22, 2019, 22:01   #4
HelpiFALanCantGetUp
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
Parkerize it.

Why is there a citi bank link at the end of your post?
i dont know. maybe its from the image hosting site i use? i use postimage.org either way ill go edit it out if i can.

edit to add: Yep, the Citi Bank link was included in the list of photo links that i copied. they're getting sneaky...
Old February 22, 2019, 22:08   #5
MACV
Registered

FALaholic #: 1167
What happened to that thing? Fire, flood. Got to be a interesting story
Old February 22, 2019, 22:25   #6
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACV View Post
Yep, that's what I want to know.

Looks like it was fished out of a lake after a REAL "boating accident".

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2019, 22:30   #7
HelpiFALanCantGetUp
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACV View Post
no real story. it belonged to my wifes father and when he died her sister got it and now she got it and now im here working on it.
Old February 22, 2019, 22:34   #8
HelpiFALanCantGetUp
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Yep, that's what I want to know.

Looks like it was fished out of a lake after a REAL "boating accident".
the barrel was fine. most of the damage was towards the back. the hand grips were covered in mold.

Old February 23, 2019, 12:00   #9
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
Parkerizing seems to be the obvious choice for something as deeply rusted and pitted as this. As a plus, the park finish serves as a base for any of the spray on, bake on finishes you may decide on. Blued finishing would require excessive sanding and polishing to provide an acceptable surface. As an RIA in pretty rough shape, would it be a worthwhile restoration project? Park is easy to do with a simple setup and does give a durable finish. US military proved and accepted.
Uriah Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2019, 14:44   #10
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
This nickel-plated Python was left in a cardboard box in an old semi-open barn for many years. Given to a friend, he took it to Randy Kline aka Sledgehammer. Randy had the nickel removed and then parkerized the gun.

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

Know your rights; the future is unwritten.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2019, 14:50   #11
lew
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Blast it and have it ntirided.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2019, 15:59   #12
Surly
Registered

FALaholic #: 3610
Engrave over the pitting, nickel plate and then fill the engraving with gold. Use gold accents with small parts. Should match the grips well.

An armed civilian is a citizen.
A disarmed civilian is a SUBJECT.

MCLMM

Former NRA Lifer
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2019, 13:24   #13
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
This nickel-plated Python was left in a cardboard box in an old semi-open barn for many years. Given to a friend, he took it to Randy Kline aka Sledgehammer. Randy had the nickel removed and then parkerized the gun.

Not exactly what one could call a royal blue finish, but I like it none the less. Gives it a hard core look and sure beats parting it out.
Uriah Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2019, 19:38   #14
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah Lee View Post
Gives it a hard core look and sure beats parting it out.

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

Know your rights; the future is unwritten.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2019, 23:25   #15
Southern 7.62
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 79321
I've had good luck removing rust from steel gun parts by soaking said rusty parts (fully submerged) in apple cider vinegar (two parts) and distilled water (one part). 0000 steel wool rubbing works well with the parts still wet. Plan to soak parts about 24hrs.
Southern 7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2019, 18:52   #16
TerryN
Registered

FALaholic #: 55
Soak the rusty parts in Evapo-Rust (available at auto parts stores or Harbor Freight) for maybe 30 minutes. All of the rust will be gone. After that, either blast and park, or send it to Mahovsky's Metallife for their hard chrome.
Old February 25, 2019, 19:09   #17
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl521 View Post
Soak entire pistol in transmission fluid for a couple of days to loosen up rust. Remove all rust. Clean with dawn and warm water then degrease with break cleaner. Fully dry parts thenapply Duplicolor DE 1634.
I'm watching this thread very closely as we have a 1911 in similar condition. I have saved several post-Katrina in worst condition than that RIA 1911 by first boiling them to remove the salt, then use electrolysis to get rid of all the rust, in side and out, then rinse in hot water, dry, spray Kroil until it's dripping with it. After it soaks for 20 -> 30 minutes, I slowly, with only to the point of the gun's resistance, work the action until it will eventually function, squirting with Kroil as I'm working it. Once we can open it, we will disassemble and clean further with whatever we have on hand.

We have local boys use cERAKOTE, but it is not my favorite. It's too rough, like sandpaper. I have a 22 Mossberg 44US rifle that was bead-blast blued that looks like it could have been the factory original, but that was done by a truly professional gunsmtih.

Brother pl521, how thick does the Duplicolor DE go on? Is it as thick as powder coating? Is it smoother than Cerakote? I've been thinking about getting some of them powder coated and I know it will need to be thinned in some places, but powder coating is tough.

Thanks,
Jarhead

Last edited by Jarhead504; February 25, 2019 at 19:17.
Jarhead504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2019, 19:10   #18
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Blast it and have it ntirided.
Brother lew, Where would YOU get YOUR guns nitrided? I've considered getting this done too for some pieces.

Thanks,

Jarhead

Last edited by Jarhead504; February 25, 2019 at 19:17.
Jarhead504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2019, 07:16   #19
pl521
Registered

FALaholic #: 74645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead504 View Post
Brother pl521, how thick does the Duplicolor DE go on? Is it as thick as powder coating? Is it smoother than Cerakote? I've been thinking about getting some of them powder coated and I know it will need to be thinned in some places, but powder coating is tough.

Thanks,
Jarhead
Duplicolor DE is not as thick as powder coating. Avoid applying Duplicolor DE or powder coating on frame or slide rails. Recommend taping those areas. I’ve had a 1911 cerakoted and I refinished another 1911 with Duplicolor and I think Duplicor is a little smoother than cerkote. I like Duplicolor because it’s a lot cheaper and it’s easy to apply. Prepping parts is key.

Here is a photo of a 1911 frame I refinished with Duplicolor DE; paint closely matched original finish on slide.

Last edited by pl521; February 26, 2019 at 07:58.
pl521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2019, 12:19   #20
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Bead blast it then have all of the steel parts nitrided. Makes regular steel quite rust resistant, looks really nice, and is extremely durable. As a steel treatment it isn't "on" the metal, it alters the steel directly. Had my entire Remmy 700 done, all parts that weren't springs, and it's super easy to clean and looks really nice.
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2019, 12:34   #21
johnnycobra
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 26209
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryN View Post
Soak the rusty parts in Evapo-Rust (available at auto parts stores or Harbor Freight) for maybe 30 minutes. All of the rust will be gone. After that, either blast and park, or send it to Mahovsky's Metallife for their hard chrome.
This is the right answer. You will see what you have with no caustic or abrasive stuff going on. This stuff is amazing. You will probably find a few small spots where the rust has pitted your gun when done. They may even polish out. Id then Parkerize if it was me.
johnnycobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2019, 12:36   #22
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhend170 View Post
Bead blast it then have all of the steel parts nitrided. Makes regular steel quite rust resistant, looks really nice, and is extremely durable. As a steel treatment it isn't "on" the metal, it alters the steel directly. Had my entire Remmy 700 done, all parts that weren't springs, and it's super easy to clean and looks really nice.
Where did you send for nitriding?

"Put your thumb up, hit the bolt release, and quit phuking with God and Eugene"
4x401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2019, 13:34   #23
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x401 View Post
Where did you send for nitriding?
There's a place NW of Houston about 70 miles called Houston Unlimited. I was doing some environmental work for them some years back and worked a deal with the operations manager at the time, but they have since supposedly gotten their FFL and can (legally) do firearms. I'd give them a call to verify everything went through (they were in the process the last time I spoke with them) but they do really nice, industrial quality work. The lion's share of what they do is oil field equipment, but they should be good to go on your pistol. Catch is you want it COMPLETELY disassembled, as in nothing put together that will come apart to its individual pieces (i.e. don't leave the barrel screwed into the receiver).

While you're at it if you have steel things you'd like treated they do a minimum charge on like 150lbs, and can do a pile of barrels, tools, reloading dies, or anything steel or stainless you might want done. Some time ago I was trying to get a group together to get a bunch of stuff done and we chop the cost by weight, but it never materialized. Given the chance though I'd get about all of my pistol barrels done, as well as a few slides and such in addition. I'm willing to revisit that here if there are several interested.

Houston Unlimited

WMD is another option.

Last edited by jhend170; February 26, 2019 at 13:41.
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2019, 13:35   #24
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
I'd take the trouble to lightly chamfer all crisp edges .015 - .030 with a good hard file before applying any sprayed on finish regardless. Done right, this not only prevents paint wear, but looks like a nice custom touch. If you have access to a blast tank, I'd definitely bead blast it too before painting. Duplicolor caliper paint is about the most durable rattle can stuff I've found. Its semi glossy though. Not that that matters much since your grip and the oil and heat of your hands is going to shine up any matte / satin spray can stuff eventually.

I'll probably give Gunplumber a stroke, but for an out of the can do it yourself finish, its pretty hard to beat several light coats of the Dura Coat aerosols. Most enamels will end up getting shiney from your grip. Once the hardener packet in the Dura Coat is popped you only have a couple days to use the whole can so its not cheap if you are only doing one gun. Its also nasty stuff so wear a respirator and do it outside on a day with no wind.

Frankly, it wouldnt hurt to get a quote from him for bead blast and park or metacol black. The cost of shipping a handgun is always a pain in the ass though.

Last edited by Impala_Guy; February 26, 2019 at 14:32.
Impala_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2019, 20:49   #25
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
I'd probably cerokote it,but some of the other suggestions are good too.It ain't a safequeen.
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2019, 06:24   #26
Insider
Registered

FALaholic #: 1183
Duracoat or Cerrocote would be the best way to restore it.