The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Curios & Relics

Notices

Old May 07, 2019, 20:03   #1
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
Where to find non-crap Tokarev?

Looking to maybe pick up a T-33 or even M57 Tokarev, but on a low budget.

I keep seeing stuff out there for around $200 bucks but the reviews on what people get are very hit or miss.

I don't mind something with worn off blueing and looks crappy, but don't want a gun with crap internals and crap barrel either. Ugly and reliable - I can refinish it easier than rebuild it since i'm no smith.

Any suggestions?
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2019, 07:41   #2
vmtz

FALaholic #: 1125
Toks generally just work. If you want a Russian expect to pay >600. The quality is legendary.

Vince
Old May 08, 2019, 10:41   #3
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Looking to maybe pick up a T-33 or even M57 Tokarev, but on a low budget.

I keep seeing stuff out there for around $200 bucks but the reviews on what people get are very hit or miss.

I don't mind something with worn off blueing and looks crappy, but don't want a gun with crap internals and crap barrel either. Ugly and reliable - I can refinish it easier than rebuild it since i'm no smith.

Any suggestions?
meh' Toks are kinda' modular
The hammer groups can be had NOS around 20 to 40
If you need a near new bbl, I can sell you one under $50 shipped, have a few
Parts are basically interchangeable other than the mags between the 33 pattern and the Yugo 57. You can mix and match shit all day long with them
These are dead simple to work on friend
Riversidesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2019, 11:15   #4
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
AIM Surplus just got in a new shipment of Romanian TT's.

https://aimsurplus.com/romanian-tt-3...7-62x25-pistol

Dealt with them plenty over the years. Quality people and good customer service. You get what they advertise or better. No ringers.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2019, 11:30   #5
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post

Dealt with them plenty over the years. Quality people and good customer service. You get what they advertise or better. No ringers.
decent deal but those thumb safety installs are serious FUBAR Tac.
Riversidesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2019, 16:13   #6
Tak
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post

Okay I am rolling the dice and ordered one up from AIM. Hope it works out.

Tac I think you somehow keep talking me into buying guns ...I claimed that Russian M44 from the Marketplace and now the Tok. Guess who may be showing up at the Vintage Gun match dressed like a 1940's red army soldier?

Da ! could be me ! Its a bad time of year for me in terms of my job but I may be able to swing it comrade Tac !
Old May 10, 2019, 09:40   #7
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
i have romanian and yugo, and the yugo are heads and tails better than the romanian. longer grip is better ergonomics and 9 rounds instead of 8, and better fit and finish and better added safety (like a 1911) which is required to allow importation of either. new manufacture M57 in 9X19 were recently available with a stupid glock type trigger to comply with the "safety" requirement, but i wouldn't buy one.

both sources below have mil-surp and are reliable. i have bought a VG from D&K and got a great gun that is my carry piece. stupid simple and built like a tank reliable.

https://dkfirearms.com/product/surpl...karev-7-62x25/

https://www.classicfirearms.com/yugo...a-surplus-9rd/
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2019, 10:23   #8
Tak
Registered

Thanks - was trying to first order the M57 from Classic but ran into problems with them, so cancelled.

Not so much worried about capacity or longer grip. This is just really a novelty and neat collector factor (and possibly vintange gun match item). Not something I'd ever carry.

probem is once I start looking at all this vintage stuff I see something else and think 'cool maybe one of those, too'... was looking at the Polish Radoms and had to restrain from going down that road too.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:28   #9
justashooter
Registered

i recently got a full case of shinese 80's tok ammo quite cheap, and like the idea of a shoots thru handgun. the tok design is a copy of john browning's 1903 design, so is intuitive to anyone with time on a 1911, and the added safety on the yugo fits right in for a cocked and locked application. as a plus, they are cheap enuf that you don't care about wear in carrying.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
Old May 10, 2019, 16:44   #10
Stoney
Former 0311
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1205
just run a gallon of hot water thru after shooting and the half cock locks the action

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

"Some minds are like concrete, thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.”

Has freedom been replaced with Free-Dumb.

Illegitimi non carborundum

A 1911A1 is like a Glock, except it's for grownups.

AMERICA! Designed by geniuses. Now run by idiots.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen." Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old Viking saying: Never be more then two steps from your weapon

Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living.
Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2019, 13:29   #11
justashooter
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
just run a gallon of hot water thru after shooting and the half cock locks the action
the 80's chinese is non-corrosive. the 80's romanian mildly so, the 50's bulgarian very. the half cock was the original drill carry for military service.

Old May 11, 2019, 22:24   #12
Tak
Registered

Thanks Tac-40 for the suggestion.

I ordered Wednesday from AIM and my LGS called this morning and had the pistol already. Quick and easy ordering.

Pistol is exactly as described on their site. Overall a strong good condition I'd say. Slide is a bit hard to rack, and trigger is a little gritty, but goes 'click'. The added safety seems to work. Bore shows wear but is very clean and no rust or pitting that I can see at this point. Not bad I guess for a 1952 produced comblock sidearm.

One or two very small light surface rust spots (or just dried up gunk) on the slide which should clean up easy. It really looks very much like the example they have pictured on their website. Came with one mag, holster, and cleaning rod.

Once I have time I'll field strip and throuroughly clean and re-lube it, then off to the range to see how it runs. If it's good to go I may hit it with a few coats of ceramic engine block low-gloss enamel paint to pretty it up. Maybe even some fancy wood grips. The plastic ones aren't bad, no chips or gouges in them at all.

Oh and I see now why some of you suggested the M57...the grip on the TT-33 is small. I have sort of big hands, but I can get a good enough grip, but the extra length probably would make for a more positive hold.

Those commies must have all had small hands I guess.

Last edited by Tak; May 11, 2019 at 22:35.