Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old May 22, 2019, 15:01   #1
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Wild Hogs and Poodle Shooters

It's amazing how many people around here are using 300 BO for wild hogs. Several of my friends hunt wild hog regularly and use 300 BO most commonly with mix of subsonic and full power loads. Occasionally they talk me into staying up past my bed time and I generally carry an AR 15 in 6.8 using full power loads or AR 10 in 7.62×51 using Tubbs 355 grain Absolute 2 Hole. Am rethinking my hog rifles as hogs seem to be getting way big and way aggressive where I hunt them.

Last fall this hog was killed 12 miles from my house in same field and from same porch I shoot coyotes from.

Since property owner killed the above with a 7mm-08 had an opportunity to shoot another he said was even biggerr at about 75 feet with two solid hits of 12 gauge 3" Mag OO buck. Said he put both rounds in heart and lung area. First round hog began turning toward him and second turned it away running. They tracked it to edge of swamp made by beavers. I have hunted coyote, ground hogs, beaver and crow on his place for years. Hogs didn't start showing up till about time he shot one pictured less than a year ago.

Buddy of mine carried a suppressed 300 BO deer hunting to kill coyote and appropriate rifle for terrain from 308 to 300 Win Mag for deer. Says last deer season put good solid kill shots on several hogs with his 300 BO that were so large he gave up tracking the blood trail after an hour or two. If hogs this big are just 12 miles from my house will have to use suppressed 308 with full power loads if the 6.8's won't drop them using Barnes copper solids or some of my exotic rounds.

It's amazing how the property owner, his kids, grand kids nor I have seen a hog on his property ever till he shot this thing. Luckily there is a state park between his place and mine so if hogs become a problem the state WMA may do a decent job keeping them from migrating toward us due to popularity of park. Last thing I want is to be dealing with wild hogs of this size on the Ponderosa. Can you imagine having this beast suddenly charge you in thick brush and all you have is a 300 BO? A hog this large and charging falls into the dangerous game catagory to me, if hunting with suppressed AR am unsure if want to face these hogs down even with my 458 SOCOM's but a ten round mag dump of 550 grain jacketed soft points should make it a reasonable fight.

What size hogs are y'all hunting with AR 15's and what cartridges? Trying to get a good picture of proper rifle for the game. Have never seen a hog this size in the wild myself but know they are close to home. Am considering using one of my AR 10's in 338 Federal next hog hunting venture just in case a violent one of this size decides to run me down out of the darkness.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2019, 16:05   #2
Potshot
Registered

FALaholic #: 6398
Wow, u hunt with Bill Clinton?
Old May 22, 2019, 17:10   #3
Illurian00
Registered

FALaholic #: 28599
Odd, I never considered the 300BO as a hunting cartridge.

About a decade ago hogs were showing up in this part of the state. Probably escapees from a preserve.
A buddy was behind his camp first week of deer season, saw a big dark thing about eighty yards through the woods. Flung a 12ga. slug at it, heard the smack, saw dust explode right behind the shoulder. He said, it just turned and looked in his direction and trundled off. He sat down, smoked a cigarette, and then followed the blood trail over a hundred yards to a 400 lb. boar.
The state has since taken great effort the exterminate the 'menace'.
(Bastards !)

https://www.amazon.com/Use-Enough-Gu...gateway&sr=8-1
Illurian00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2019, 17:17   #4
pistolero1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 75616
That is some serious bacon. What did the boar go? upwards of 700 Lbs.?
Old May 22, 2019, 17:51   #5
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
Is it a poodle shooter still if bigger than .223?

Saw a boar that big in Germany one time. Never
thought I would see another.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2019, 20:17   #6
MACV
Registered

FALaholic #: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potshot View Post
Wow, u hunt with Bill Clinton?
Hell, he finally shot Hillary
Old May 22, 2019, 20:21   #7
Illurian00
Registered

Huey, this pig action in or around Transylvania Co. ?
Old May 22, 2019, 22:18   #8
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
wow that thing is crazy big. had no idea that kind of monster was prowling GA
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2019, 22:30   #9
FNfreak
Registered

FALaholic #: 1081
Couple of things....This may be a 100% true to life photo of a record size hog. But it is a 1 in 1/1,000,000 size hog if it is and would most likely be a state record. The picture plays with perspective a great deal to exaggerate size, (which makes me question WHY stage it in the first place) Note the grass and leaf debris in the foreground up to the hog body....either that grass is 12" tall and those leafs came off elephant plants or maybe the photo is somewhat staged. Low camera angle, close to the hog and shooter intentionally several feet behind hog...Like buddies FISH pictures where he pushes the fish as far away from him as he can and close into the camera to make his 2 lbs bass look like a 32 lbs monster! Why is the shooter so far behind the hog instead of laying his rifle across the chest or propped on the head for scale like any other trophy animal photo would be taken? Anyway...yes, it could be monster hog...or just a big 100-150# hog made to look much bigger...either way doesn't change the question asked.

SHOOT EM WITH ANYTHING YOU LIKE! That being said....

I shoot them on occasion, but they are still kinda "rare" here in GA so our options are limited. I'm no expert so go to YouTube and watch these guys..THEY ARE and ANSWER ALL your questions. Check out the folks who are making a living shooting hogs. These guys have the statically highest chance of encountering HOGZILLA yet they don't carry bazookas!!! Todd Huey of Long Star Boars, The Ultimate Night Vision Crew, HansETX, Texas JAGD...they are shooting 100's of hogs a week year round. 6.8, .308 and 6.5 Creedmore seem to be the hands down favorite /Most common with several guys using 6.5 Grendel too. All these guys have multiple videos of killing hogs with .223 also and several .22 caliber "wildcat" rounds! Todd has 5-6 videos of .300Blk but I don't think he could ever get the consistent performance he needed (dropping hogs instantly, instead of having them run off and die requiring tracking and waste of his time) They also have tried some 458 Socom and the general census is too many down sides to the big stuff vs. more mag capacity for more follow up shots, flatter trajectories at all ranges of the .260-.30cal stuff. Suppression for these guys is more for their own personal hearing protection and flash suppression to conceal their location. It helps but they don't go subsonic ammo for "stealth" most of the time.

Honestly, if you aren't ambushing a hog broadside while it is nose down feeding, you're doing it all wrong.

Basing your hunting gear decision on a 1/1,000,000 chance of encountering a blood thirsty rampaging trophy boar seems to take all the fun out of it by adding a lot of imagined worst case senecio stuff. Granted, I'd love to light some up with a M2 .50cal with APTI one night...and hitting one in the head with a 458 SOCOM bowling ball would make for some great video footage...! Otherwise, aint nothing in those Piney Ga woods gonna survive a mag dump from anything a Poodle shooter of any caliber can unload on it if the Nut behind the trigger isn't too loose! Watch Jason of Outdoor Legacy Gear get charged by a Boar and his mag dump at 10'-2'.
FNfreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2019, 23:20   #10
Illurian00
Registered

The forest is dark, and full of terror....

https://www.transylvaniatimes.com/st...-nc/21384.html
Old May 22, 2019, 23:56   #11
Right Side Up
Registered

FALaholic #: 43
That hog was easy to find. He left mud real high on the trees he scratched his back on.

.45-70 is what I'd prefer for hogs. My 300 Blackout has killed deer, but it's not by any means optimal for that kind of work. Better than a .22 I guess.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2019, 01:19   #12
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
I have shot 100s of hogs (literally) from small to 100plus Kgs with 5.56 (55gn soft points for the most part) back in the day, they seemed to die when I shot them . I prefer .308 for all things these days but the resilience of swine is greatly overstated. Started hunting them with a .22 when I was about 12....cause that's what I had.
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2019, 02:16   #13
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
Looks like hog is in the foreground in the picture.
Old May 23, 2019, 06:54   #14
Sig220
Registered

FALaholic #: 11622
A lot of Alaskan hunters use .223 for anything......from caribou to moose.

One bolt action favorite is the 22-250.

The professional helicopter shooters use mostly .223 (probably due to cost).

While never targeting pigs specifically, I have shot them with .223, .308 and .300 WSM......what I had when I ran upon them. They all died.
Old May 23, 2019, 07:42   #15
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
I've used .308 for all but one hog kill and that one was shot with my MAK-90. The gentleman who leases my pasture uses 300BO with thermal imaging to kill hogs. He and a partner hunt them at night and sell the carcasses.

This boar was killed last October. He's a fairly typical sized pig for my place. I have seen larger sows and boars too but most are about his heavy I'd say. He was broadside to me, head down eating corn, when I shot him behind the ear from about 50 yards.

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2019, 08:40   #16
easttex
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20438
Shoot hogs with whatever you want. If they run off and die somewhere....well, there's always another hog. Shoot that one, too.

Molon labe
easttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2019, 08:42   #17
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by easttex View Post
Shoot hogs with whatever you want. If they run off and die somewhere....well, there's always another hog. Shoot that one, too.
^^^ Real good advice here.

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

Old May 23, 2019, 09:37   #18
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Hogs will eat their own dead.

Remove the carcass if it is your intent to diminish the infestation.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2019, 16:16   #19
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post

Remove the carcass if it is your intent to diminish the infestation.
Or hunt over the bait. me

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2019, 16:21   #20
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Last fall this hog DEER was killed 12 miles from my house in same field and from same porch I shoot coyotes from.

Old May 23, 2019, 17:35   #21
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
True. If the coyotes don't beat 'em to it that is. They usually do.

Old May 24, 2019, 00:30   #22
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
Another 308 guy here.
Ive shot have a dozen large hogs in the last ten years and the 308 knocks em dead in the dirt if I do my part and put the bullet where its supposed to be.

Last edited by Redoubt; June 21, 2019 at 12:15.
Redoubt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2019, 06:13   #23
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

^^^ That's a nasty looking beast there. Good work!

Old May 24, 2019, 12:11   #24
lew
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
^^^ That's a nasty looking beast there. Good work!
Yep. Only good hog's a dead hog.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2019, 14:28   #25
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I only go deer hunting on rare occasion and usually when a group of friends go out with intent to fill their freezers and whatever I kill can help top off their freezer. I do kill all deer in my or neighbors yard since hitting one on my motorcycle as down shifting into third gear and hitting turn blinker fr the Ponderosa.

Since then wife and I have hit four others in our trucks and one Easter morning before sunrise had two run into my truck at same time as left the house. One hit truck just in front of drivers side rear-view mirror and other in passenger side rear quarter panel. Turned in house one day and spooked a covey of deer where one ran into my 1/2 ton 4x4, another into wife's 3/4 ton, two ran into each other while a couple after getting up and trying again got tangled in fence. When in season or they are in neighbors garden kill all I can.

Have been on several hog hunts and brother says they are starting to show up on farm faster than he and nephew can keep them killed off so may have to start killing them on the farm soon. In the years have hunted property where this hog was killed had never seen a hog. Bag a lot of coyote and when property owner sent this I was stunned then when said last one he shot was bigger but got into the swamp before bled out from two solid shotgun hits have to rethink my ue of his property as is close enough to my house hat he sees now will be on me soon if not already lurking.

Been leaving my seismic sensors which have adjusted to sensitivity range would take at least a 300 pound hog to set off on 24/7. During my nighttime coyote and feral dog killing have not seen any hogs nor have I seen signs of them around the house.

Texgunner
Quote:
The gentleman who leases my pasture uses 300BO with thermal imaging to kill hogs.
That is how most of my friends have been hunting hogs. At night with whatever nigh vision device they own mounted to an AR 15 in 300 BO. Seems like eight out of ten use 300 BO with a suppressor and take their pig guns deer hunting in case a bunch wander up on them. When I sent this pictyure around many of the 300 BO guys began to comment on maybe up sizing their rifles. Man in picture is average size, reputable local businessman and said had no way to weigh the hog but they guessed it in the 500 to 600 pound range.

I do not need 500 plus pound hogs roaming around behind the house. I don't want any hogs and wish I could kill off all the deer. When culling deer in the yard usually put a 22 Hornet in their ear and they collapse immediately. When make the next to last turn toward home every day from work I see deer in the median or sides of road to final turn and sides of road to house. See them dead on the roadside more days than not. I live 3/4 miles from city limit and no hunting with firearms is allowed in the city. Deer have figured it out and with the lake have become as common as house cats.

If hogs and especially big hogs become common it will suck as reason I don't "hunt" is wrestling a dead animal with my bad back sucks. Most times I shoot a deer have already called someone who says will come get it before pull the trigger. Coyotes and ground hogs I leave laying to attract more or let the vultures haul them off. When we shoot deer over neighbors field in summer he buries with his backhoe.

We live on the side of town where agriculture and the city are just starting to meet. The wildlife has learned its a free for all except rare folks like me and seem to be dumb city deer that don't have enough sense to avoid the yards of people who shoot them. Our coyote are pretty sly right up till dark and the thermal takes over.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old May 24, 2019, 15:31   #26
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

I killed her last April 4.

Two days later, all that could be found of that sow:

Interesting how the hide is turned inside out. No head was found. I assume coyotes did the deed. Might've had some help from pigs too I guess.

Old May 24, 2019, 19:09   #27
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
No head was found.
Someone out there is using it at a jock strap
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2019, 19:25   #28
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

Quote:

Interesting how the hide is turned inside out. No head was found. I assume coyotes did the deed. Might've had some help from pigs too I guess.
Chubacabra!
Old May 24, 2019, 19:42   #29
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
Someone out there is using it for tamales.
There, gave it a Texas twist for ya.

Old May 24, 2019, 22:08   #30
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Have a pair of 22" 6.8 AR's and just recently found a deal on several more 6.8 barrels in the 18", 20" to 22" range then found a 24" tube over the weekend. Had never planned on building a 6.8 with over 20" of barrel but deals shake out, have more 7.5" to 14.7" and 18" than can count. Took me a while to discover it's much more accurate than anticipated and with longer barrels shoots within a couple inches of vertical drop compared to 6.5 Grendel.

Now looking at some longer 458 SOCOM tube. Since they can generally reach full velocity within 8" to 8.5" of barrel been pinning suppressors to 8.5" barrels for one stamp SBR's that work out to be 16.25" to 17" OAL barrel length as use them almost exclusively subsonic. Am now poking around for an 18" and possibly 20" 458 SOCOM barrel to run full velocity ammo and see how much range before a 350 to 400 grain bullet begins falling out of the sky like a brick.

Have pretty much figured out 8ts just time and not much of it before hogs show up this close to town and want to figure out how to,deliver the most wallop with lowest sound signature out to 125 yards which would be max range and 75 yards which would expect average range. Have vaults of bolt rifles can use along with AR 10's in 7.62 and 338 Federal running suppressors. Have a pair of tripods with dB meters and can set one up at muzzle and second 25 yards down range to see how much sound signature am subjecting neighbors to. When at range shooting through chronograph with a pair od dB meters people often ask why. Looking for most projectile energy per dB for what looks like a new game coming my way.

Owner of LGS has a 12 Gauge suppressor and need to measure sound pressure it produces. He uses mostly on a rifled slug barrel with super heavy slugs. Says it makes them tolerable but is a big rig especially with night vision. I do kind of like new situations as gives me an excuse to build more rifles and suppressors tailored to each issue. I can see a 50 caliber copper solid sabot slug knocking a hog down hard. The group hog have really come out lately and swapped my 18" 6.8 for a 20" 22 Nosler as my second truck rifle when working in the field. Something about killing varmints has far become my favorite shooting sport,
Old May 25, 2019, 13:37   #31
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
Worst hog related mess i saw when a Trooper was an old man ( 80's ) that fell in hog pen while feeding a big sow. Ate everything deep like arm pits, groin all the way to bone. Can only think what one of these big wild hogs could do to you.
01BIRDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2019, 18:10   #32
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I have heard tales from reliable people like my grandfather and other older extended relatives about narcs and hogs. Grewe up in Dawsonville Georgia the claimed moonshine capital of the world. If someone became a worry that they were talking too much or would talk if got caught to reduce their sentence were thrown in the hog pen and in a matter of hours nothing was left. My grandfather ran a short haul trucking service for twenty years. Would drive to Atlanta every day and pick up loads of copper, sugar, yeast, etc and unload at dead end dirt road.

His cash would be under a rock, in a tree stump or under a turtle shell with list of what was needed next, when and down payment. After twenty years of being a one man deliver, unload and leave while never seeing a client in person saved enough money to start a fleet of a dozen long haul trucks moving legal loads. Said was a fine art to live in the moonshine world while never making a drop or delivering finished product and not get fed to the hogs. If you got the G-Man watching you due to amount of sugar and yeast a single man was buying or the clients even suspected the G-Man had made you then another person was never seen or heard from again.

Apparently a group of hogs can rip a man the shreds and dispose of the evidence before the sun sets. He said was always unnerving when got an order for 200 pounds of lime. For those that didn't feed a deemed high risk contact to the hogs would drop them down an abandoned well then pour the lime in on top of them. We had dozens of abandoned wells on our farm and at least once a year the G-Men would blow up a still on or very near the farm. We had six foot high double pane windows and sometimes would use too much explosives on a big black pot operation. My dad would loose his mind when they busted one or more of his big 40"×60" windows.

He complained enough that after a year or so a couple would show up at the house with rolls of duct tape and tape the windows as the explosives crew was prepping a still that was on our farm or just across the property line. While we didn't encourage people to use our property we never told the G-Men about a still found in the woods either. After about a decade dad knew enough of the players, gained just enough respect for not being a narc even though hated the business so bad he moved us from Cobb county to Dawson when voters passed a bill for liquor stores. He did not know he was moving us in the middle of the biggest illegal liquor area in the state, just wanted to live in a dry county.

Once he realized what he had done was too late and under threat of barn, grandmother's and our houses being burned or cows and horses shot learned to live in the midst and even became friends with a few of the bigger operators unknowingly at first. Man and crew he hired to frame our house years later admitted had two stills on our property when dad had the graders start unloading equipment to clear the pastures, home sites and build the farm pond. They said he messed up one of their best places with good water supply and thick trees. Said it was a mad dash to get their stills off the farm before our loggers began cutting trees and graders went to work.

One small operator showed up after we finished the barn and grandmother's house and we're framing ours. Had a coach gun and told my dad if kept grading was going to come back and burn us out. He called the sheriff mid day and he dispatched next evening. Dad was used to metro Atlanta where Cobb County or Marietta cops dispatched in minutes. Sheriff said it was him and one deputy for the entire county. He knocked off at 5:00 pm and deputy clocked out at 9:00 pm. If deputy was on a call opposite end of county and he was home in bed better be able to take care of the family and just make sure any bodies were under the roof of our front porch when he arrived. We were our first line of defense living 14 miles from closest store and S.O.

Next day dad drove to K Mart where he bought himself an extra pistol for his truck, one for mom and one for me. Brother was just nine so he got a rim fire rifle. So at twelve years old dad gave me a Ruger Mk 1 Standard, Marlin 336 in 35 Rem to go with my rimfire rifle and gave me a V.W. Bug. Said stay on dirt roads (could cross paved roads) and if messed up with gun or car would take all away. So age 12 I became part of the home defense plan, learned to reload from local game warden and by 13 had purchased my first two centerfire pistols from local hardware store with money from working after school, weekends and summers. Also had my first reloading press, bullet casting setup and was running 500 rounds a week trying to simulate the drills read about in Shooting Times plus Guns & Ammo.

By age 16 had first Colt CAR 15, Winchester 12 gauge pump cut to 18" and outfitted with all the appropriate 1970's riot gun accessories. By 17 had my first progressive press, shot tower to make my own shot, Rock Chucker and real lead furnace to go with the Lee Turret press purchased at age 13. Had three reloading and shooting mentors and was carrying a 1911 cocked and locked with a Hi Power as a backup due to higher round capacity even if in a woman's cartridge. At 16 was making the bank deposits and picking up change orders for our hotel and restaurant wearing a centerfire pistol carried openly and sheriff was a regular customer.

Sheriff nor bank employees said a word as was picking up large amounts of small bills and change on Friday and then made big deposits when bank reopened on Monday. Dad knew I was a better shooter and he was too busy running three businesses to be bothered by mundane tasks like moving the cash back and forth to the bank. Mid week always had one or two deposits and smaller change orders. Every grown greedy thief in the county had to know I was just a kid moving a lot of money but everyone in town knew that our few neighbors said I shot almost every day and even had a "machine gun". Was not old enough to own a gun much less carry but every kid in high school had a deer rifle in rear window of truck during deer season.

I just took to it early, worked hard and spent all my money on more guns and reloading equipment/supplies. Before turned eighteen had a Trust in my dad's name with me listed as trustee/beneficiary for the pair of M11's with Sionics suppressors. Sheriff had let me shoot the county M10's in 45 acp and decided if going girly caliber dropping down to 380 acp with 1,200 rpm cyclic rate then with decent ammo was dumping 4,000 ft/lbs of energy per second from very controlled machine pistol when had a can on them. Parents figured I could be spending money on worse items, vendors just cared I always had cash and only time had to get dad to do any paperwork was for the Trust and M11's/suppressors but since did a pair of each in first transaction he went for it as seeing the little things in gun store on a trip to Marietta he didn't seem to think they were any big deal.

On my 18th birthday purchased myself my second AR 15 for a birthday present. For 21st birthday laid out the cash for dad to add an AC 556 with GB factory folding stock and 12.5" barrel. Hard to believe in 1970's and 1980's was no problem for a minor to buy firearms and only need parent with a Trust for NFA items. Preferred shooting my AR's but would usually dump a couple mags from the AC 556 every week as the short barreled Ruger with fun switch engaged let all in echo range that a machine gun was on the farm and it got used regularly. A buddy had a pair of full auto AK's that his dad brought back from Vietnam and would visit about once a month. His dad was a full bird and always brought at least a couple tins of x39 and a can of 5.56 or two. Throw in my adopted brother along with his AR 15 and us kids would commonly shoot well over 2,000 rounds on a Saturday then team up on the presses to load next day or week's ammo every night when it got dark.

Am curious as lots of folks round here in my age group and slightly older. How many were buying Colt 1911's, AR 15's, Smith wheel guns and such before age eighteen? Has to be more than most peace freak antigunners can imagine. We never shot up our school, anything that wasn't ours except to odd junk car with permission or hurt anyone if don't count a few cuts and bruises from accidentally shooting a steel plate with steel core round/burst.
Old June 21, 2019, 11:01   #33
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
I went hog hunting at an okie wma last week. Used a 12 gage Winchester 18” barrel 12 gage slugs. Saw lots of pig tracks and tore up ground. Also made friends with skeeters, spiders and about a million Nickle sized frogs. Hot & muggy. But no pig. Fell in the mud. The area was a swamp due to recent flooding. Would prefer an fal but limited to shotgun or bow in the wma. Hunt area north end of fort Cobb lake.
0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2019, 14:40   #34
Timber Wolf
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0302 View Post
I went hog hunting.................….But no pig...…………... Would prefer an fal but limited to shotgun or bow in the wma.
If you are just carrying without doing any actual shooting wouldn't a pistol be much handier?

Old June 21, 2019, 15:05   #35
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
If you are just carrying without doing any actual shooting wouldn't a pistol be much handier?

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2019, 16:25   #36
TedMckay
Registered

FALaholic #: 76858
[QUOTE=Sig220;4740641]A lot of Alaskan hunters use .223 for anything......from caribou to moose.

Not being a jerk here. No we do not. Alaska hunters are known for using a .300 win mag or .338 even for deer or caribou because of bears. I would never, nor would anyone I know go moose hunting with a .223. A few years ago I was going to hunt my moose that year with a .308 and wised up In time to take my trusty .300 Weatherby instead.
Old June 21, 2019, 16:50   #37
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
[QUOTE=TedMckay;4750870]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig220 View Post
A lot of Alaskan hunters use .223 for anything......from caribou to moose.

Not being a jerk here. No we do not. Alaska hunters are known for using a .300 win mag or .338 even for deer or caribou because of bears. I would never, nor would anyone I know go moose hunting with a .223. A few years ago I was going to hunt my moose that year with a .308 and wised up In time to take my trusty .300 Weatherby instead.
Makes sense...and that is that. I don't see how anyone one can live in that cold.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2019, 17:44   #38
Stoney
Former 0311
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1205
have a friend in AK that got a moose with a pistol, 762x25. it had a broken leg and he was 15' from it

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

"Some minds are like concrete, thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.”

Has freedom been replaced with Free-Dumb.

Illegitimi non carborundum

A 1911A1 is like a Glock, except it's for grownups.

AMERICA! Designed by geniuses. Now run by idiots.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen." Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old Viking saying: Never be more then two steps from your weapon

Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living.
Stoney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2019, 16:33   #39
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20461
While the smallest caliber I ever used for big game when I lived in the interrior of Alaska was an M1 in 06. Which I replaced with a scoped 300 win mag just as soon as I could afford one. I have seen all sorts of calibers being used especially by the native Alaskans. Seen a feller hunting caribou with a mini 14 in .223 and got one. Another hunting caribou with an AR 15. One lady had a couple of teenage sons and the families only big game rifle was a 30-30 and they took all manner of big game. One guy I knew quite well had one big game rifle to his name, a sharps in 45-120 and he carried a vintage colt single action in 45 on his hip. He had been carrying that set up since 1968 and even did some part time work for a guide in exchange for supplies using that sharps.

Ard Choille!
skeeterbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2019, 17:25   #40
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

Ive hunted Alaska and I can tell you Ive used a 22lr hunting one one occasion.

For Mosquito's!
Old June 22, 2019, 18:31   #41
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redoubt View Post

For Mosquito's!
You got away with using something as small as a .22LR? I'm glad that you made it...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2019, 19:27   #42
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redoubt View Post

For Mosquito's!
Fair sized skeeters there, huh? Around here, I've seen them big enough to stand flat-footed and butt f*ck a turkey hen...

Old June 23, 2019, 09:40   #43
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

The Alaska based reality shows on television seem to show two distinct different groups. One of newer transplants who roar around on snowmobiles that seem to always break down and shoot at anything with an AR 15 and keep dumping rounds till it falls. Then there are the shows where old multinational folk use equipment that work and seems most have a big turn bolt in 300 Win Mag or bigger and a pump 12 gauge on their snowmobile or dog sled just in case firing pin freezes on their bolt rifle.

The experienced ones usually have a buddy with them and the new kids split up to cover more territory and spend a lot of time looking for each other. I have only climbed, never hunted up there so can't speak from experience of what I have read from respected locals. Seems many will hunt in pairs where one or both have big bolt guns and the fishermen carry slug guns. If I were hunting or anything in the wilds of Alaska my 454 Casull would be on my hip, 7mm Practical in certain situations but if anywhere near polar bear territory would carry the 300 RUM. For fishing might take an AR 10 in 338 Federal and hope first 20 rounds put down something that choose me for dinner.
Old June 24, 2019, 09:56   #44
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
I managed what I think was a pretty decent feat a couple of weeks ago. Was just leaving my cousin's place at dusk and was driving the 1/2 mile or so out to the highway down their dirt road. Road is bounded on both sides with corn fields with good ears nearing ready for harvest. I stop for a minute to set up the GPS on my phone when dad says "Well lookie there! I look up to see 2 pigs about 40 yards out on the road ahead of me. I ease forward, angle the truck at about a 45deg angle. and hang my .40 Sig P320 out the window 1 handed. Followed rules of engagement of "everyone gets 1 before anyone gets 2." So 1 round, pig 1, hit, 2 rounds pig 2, both hits, back to pig 1 another hit. Pig 1 manages to get into the ditch off the side of the road, pig 2 drops in the road. Both still alive so coup-de-graces delivered as head shots to both. Too bad I had to get dad home and didn't have time to process them. Both in the 80lb, perfect eatin' size range.

Lessons learned... 1. I'm better 1 handed in a awkward shooting position than I had given myself credit for, and was happy to see training kick in. You don't get much practice on multiple live moving targets so this was quite beneficial. First shots on both would have proved fatal (with a little bit of time). 2. Not that it's news but pigs are tough. 3. Defensive ammo proves it's worth. I was loaded with Sig's own defensive JHPs. Didn't think to ask for pics but cousin said wound channels were impressive, considering shots were about 25yds from a 3.9" (compact frame) barrel, all into heart/lung area. 4. Related to other 3, .40S&W is quite the effective round, and I still see it as superior in every way to 9mm that matters.

I do love surprise hunts, especially when they benefit the farmers who are fighting a losing battle against these vermin, put meat in the family freezer, and a smile on my face.
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2019, 11:44   #45
Timber Wolf
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhend170 View Post
I managed what I think was a pretty decent feat a couple of weeks ago. Was just leaving my cousin's place at dusk and was driving the 1/2 mile or so out to the highway down their dirt road. Road is bounded on both sides with corn fields with good ears nearing ready for harvest. I stop for a minute to set up the GPS on my phone when dad says "Well lookie there! I look up to see 2 pigs about 40 yards out on the road ahead of me. I ease forward, angle the truck at about a 45deg angle. and hang my .40 Sig P320 out the window 1 handed. Followed rules of engagement of "everyone gets 1 before anyone gets 2." So 1 round, pig 1, hit, 2 rounds pig 2, both hits, back to pig 1 another hit. Pig 1 manages to get into the ditch off the side of the road, pig 2 drops in the road. Both still alive so coup-de-graces delivered as head shots to both. Too bad I had to get dad home and didn't have time to process them. Both in the 80lb, perfect eatin' size range.

Lessons learned... 1. I'm better 1 handed in a awkward shooting position than I had given myself credit for, and was happy to see training kick in. You don't get much practice on multiple live moving targets so this was quite beneficial. First shots on both would have proved fatal (with a little bit of time). 2. Not that it's news but pigs are tough. 3. Defensive ammo proves it's worth. I was loaded with Sig's own defensive JHPs. Didn't think to ask for pics but cousin said wound channels were impressive, considering shots were about 25yds from a 3.9" (compact frame) barrel, all into heart/lung area. 4. Related to other 3, .40S&W is quite the effective round, and I still see it as superior in every way to 9mm that matters.

I do love surprise hunts, especially when they benefit the farmers who are fighting a losing battle against these vermin, put meat in the family freezer, and a smile on my face.
Is that what they call a "win-win"?

Old June 24, 2019, 15:23   #46
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Is that what they call a "win-win"?
I would say so... yes!
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2019, 17:15   #47
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Didn't buy into the 40 Smith for some time. Finally bought one (SIG), ran 250 rounds through it of white box and a few rounds of defensive into modeling clay blocks. Went back to LGS same day and purchased another. Now have a stable of 40's which carry every day I work and 45 acp 1911's on days not working. Messed up the finish on so many 1911's crawling under a truck or such the polymer frame SIG's in 40 became my work pistols. Use Hornady Critical Duty which is the LEO version of their Critical Defense. Slightly heavier bullet and loaded a tad hotter for when need to defeat a barrier. It tests super well and never fails to expand due to leather, denim or wood plugging the point.
Old June 24, 2019, 21:32   #48
Francesux
Registered

FALaholic #: 17724
I've shot hogs with .357sig (125gr Speer Gold Dot) and 9mm (147gr Ranger T and 124gr+P Speer Gold Dot). I did my part, they did their's. When people want to have caliber wars, I tell them the same thing I tell people who want to open businesses, "Location! Location! Location!"

Next time I go hog hunting, it will either be my Colt 6720 loaded with whatever, or my Lone Star Armory .300BLK build, both backed up by my Glock 45 loaded with 147gr Federal HSTs. Though I am thinking about acquiring some Buffalo Bore .45Super for my HK USP45F.
Old June 25, 2019, 14:43   #49
Woodpusherpro
Registered

FALaholic #: 82490
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
I have heard tales from reliable people like my grandfather and other older extended relatives about narcs and hogs. Grewe up in Dawsonville Georgia the claimed moonshine capital of the world. If someone became a worry that they were talking too much or would talk if got caught to reduce their sentence were thrown in the hog pen and in a matter of hours nothing was left. My grandfather ran a short haul trucking service for twenty years. Would drive to Atlanta every day and pick up loads of copper, sugar, yeast, etc and unload at dead end dirt road.

[10 MORE PARAGRAPHS]

Am curious as lots of folks round here in my age group and slightly older. How many were buying Colt 1911's, AR 15's, Smith wheel guns and such before age eighteen? Has to be more than most peace freak antigunners can imagine. We never shot up our school, anything that wasn't ours except to odd junk car with permission or hurt anyone if don't count a few cuts and bruises from accidentally shooting a steel plate with steel core round/burst.
I feel like this could have been its own thread.
Woodpusherpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2019, 16:14   #50
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodpusherpro View Post
I feel like this could have been its own thread.
Moral of that story is there are still places people will feed someone to farm raised hogs. If farm raised will kill and dispose of a man can't imagine getting in wrong side of a pack of wild pigs. Yes, it wandered but set the scene for type area can find yourself being fed to the hogs, even "government men" back in the day. Why I don't want them near my place and if have to buy a Barrett 50 BMG once they move the ten miles from closest seen killed to the Ponderosa will go full on evil on them. If not used to my wall of text can easily block my posts and never see them.