Notices

Old June 14, 2019, 11:53   #1
easttex
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20438
AR-10 Scope Options

Howdy!

I recently acquired a (PSA) AR-10 that I am building up to hunt with this fall. I am looking at scopes and my budget is the sub-$400 range. I do not plan to shoot out further than maybe 300 yards. However, my dad may talk me into an F-class match if he twists my arm hard enough.

I understand that you get what you pay for with glass and the more you spend, the more quality you buy. If I really get into shooting this rifle, I can upgrade later, but for now I have other budgetary priorities that preclude something more expensive.

With all that in mind, my searching has narrowed down to:
  • Primary Arms 4-14x44mm
  • Vortex Diamondback 4-16x44
  • Nikon Prostaff 5 Hunter

Can anyone offer any feedback on the above optics? Did you life them? How well did they hold up?

Thanks!

Molon labe
easttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2019, 12:19   #2
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
I put a Nikon ProStaff 3X9 on my son's .308 Mossberg bolt gun. It is a pretty good piece of kit and allowed for a quick and easy zero. The scope BDC was easy to use and kept the hits where you were aiming.

I also own several Vortex scopes of all models. For me, the Vortex scopes are the way to go. They are rugged, great quality for the price paid and optics good enough that I cannot see the difference between them and the more expensive scopes. And their warranty is outstanding. NO BS, just send them the scope. No hoops to jump through, forms to fill out and submit or waiting for a repair number so you can send it in.

One thing about the Vortex scopes that many people don't realize. The scope reticles may look like MOA markings, but they aren't. True, they correspond with MOA, but they may not be linear in their spacing. The marks could indicate 4.5, 8. 12.5 MOA as you move down the marks. Make sure you read the scope reticle manual (available online if you have the booklet) to determine what your scope is.

I have a Vortex Viper HST mounted on my Savage 110 hunting rifle. I have taken deer out to 300 yards with it no problem. And at the range with it, have been able to hit the steel at 600 yards so often it is boring now.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2019, 12:24   #3
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Scope power seems a little excessive for 300 yds. I've shot an AR10 with a similar set up. Even dialed down, a 50 yd shot is dicey trying to focus.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2019, 12:59   #4
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Get illuminated center dot wit adjustable brightness

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2019, 13:35   #5
Illurian00
Registered

FALaholic #: 28599
I Recently acquired a Burris Fullfield E-1 (3-9x40) w/ an illuminated #4 reticle. It is available in a 'ballistic type reticle as well, (4-14x). Good glass, etched reticle. solid build. Easily referenced on the innerwebz.
And it fits your budget.
Illurian00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2019, 08:56   #6
easttex
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20438
So, to circle back on this one; Midway emailed me this morning with what I thought was a pretty good deal on a quality scope. They're running a special on Vortex Diamondback 4-12 x 42 for $199 with free shipping. I've heard good things about the Vortex brand and although this might be slightly more magnification that I'll need, I figured I'd try it for $199.

Link to Scope on MidwayUSA's website

Molon labe
easttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2019, 12:19   #7
lew
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
I've been very pleased with my Vortex PST Gen. 2's- both a 5-25x on the 6.5, and a 3-15x on a 5.56.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2019, 17:57   #8
M90A1
Gettin' there!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 3409
Vortex "Strike Eagle" 1X-8X. A red dot at 1X and up to 8X for distance. Perfect!! Got one recently from PSA for $300.
M90A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2019, 20:04   #9
johnnycobra
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 26209
I had a millett dms-1 and it was fine, but heavy and large.
Got a good deal on a Leupold Vx-R 1.25-4 with an illuminated dot for under $400 and love it in a much smaller lighter package.
6 or 8x would be great but for the size and clarity I’m happy here
johnnycobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2019, 21:10   #10
bill3542
Registered

FALaholic #: 5675
My boy went with a Vortex Diamondback Tactical MK MOA 4x12x40 and Burris extreme duty scope mounts for his M&P 10 in .308

I believe the price was around 300-320 for the scope.

He also picked up the factory screw-on sunshade off Amazon for the scope.
Old June 22, 2019, 19:07   #11
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycobra View Post
I had a millett dms-1 and it was fine, but heavy and large.
Got a good deal on a Leupold Vx-R 1.25-4 with an illuminated dot for under $400 and love it in a much smaller lighter package.
6 or 8x would be great but for the size and clarity Iím happy here
^^^^ an outstanding choice in my opinion.