Notices

Old February 16, 2020, 12:31   #1
johnnycobra
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 26209
DSA Vs PSA barrel quality?

I have a DSA nitride barrel one 1/9
Been thinking of shooting much heavier bullets in this thing.
Is there really any quality difference on pSA in 1/7 nitride from DSA?

Last edited by johnnycobra; February 16, 2020 at 13:38.
johnnycobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2020, 13:03   #2
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
If Iím understanding your question correctly in that you are comparing DSA barrels against PSA barrels and not the twist rates.

I would say it depends on the barrel from PSA and what you are trying to do with it. It your plan is to shoot tiny groups at long range I would say look at other barrel makers/suppliers. PSA has a variety of options in barrels some are better than others. However, they arenít generally considered top shelf or high end barrels. They are probably more mid to low end barrels.

DSA has had their ups and downs with their FAL builds. However, I havenít heard of any real issues with their AR 15 builds or parts. I personally donít own or know someone who has a DSA AR15 , so I canít really say where they are as far as quality. If I had to place them somewhere I would put them in the middle of the pack.

If you are wanting to bang steel targets at distance and arenít to concerned with group size I think either a DSA or quality PSA barrel would work for you. Now if you want small groups at long range I would look at White Oak or AR Performance barrels. Iím sure Huey will be along to recommend some other brands as well.
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2020, 13:13   #3
cavegeo
Veteran Member
Contributor

FALaholic #: 11441
Barrel twist is more important that the treatment type for barrels. The heavier bullets requires fast twist that light bullets due.
The whole point of being governed by a Constitution and not by men or directly by the people themselves was to stop incredible stupidity from annihilating our Freedoms. Tyranny of the majority is just as dangerous as any dictator. Especially when the majority is incredibly ******* stupid.
cavegeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2020, 14:17   #4
johnnycobra
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 26209
Both are nitride and the same profile.
I assume both are buttons rifled.
That just means the difference is twist and perhaps quality

Since I want to sling heavier projectiles reasonably accurately into objects up to 250yds and am not trying to necessarily set records, it’s logical to me that Using a psa barrel will be no worse for me overall if I run into one reasonably priced.
The thought is that I just don’t see needing to drop another $100-150 over the price of a psa if the psa will sling 69-77gr 223 projectiles into a golf ball at 50yds

Last edited by johnnycobra; February 16, 2020 at 14:31.
johnnycobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2020, 15:20   #5
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
AR15perfomance barrels run around $180 and are Wylde chambered with 1/8 twist. I have a AR15Per barrel and it's solid as a rock.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2020, 18:50   #6
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
Ballistic Advantage makes some accurate barrels for the money.

Can get them at a good price at http://graniteridgeoutfitters.com
nvcdl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2020, 08:32   #7
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvcdl View Post
Ballistic Advantage makes some accurate barrels for the money.

Can get them at a good price at http://graniteridgeoutfitters.com
I concur. Excellent barrels, regardless of price!
Old February 17, 2020, 09:50   #8
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Is it true that Ballistic Advantage makes the barrels for Aero Precision?

Jarhead
Old February 17, 2020, 09:55   #9
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycobra View Post
Both are nitride and the same profile.
I assume both are buttons rifled.
That just means the difference is twist and perhaps quality

Since I want to sling heavier projectiles reasonably accurately into objects up to 250yds and am not trying to necessarily set records, itís logical to me that Using a psa barrel will be no worse for me overall if I run into one reasonably priced.
The thought is that I just donít see needing to drop another $100-150 over the price of a psa if the psa will sling 69-77gr 223 projectiles into a golf ball at 50yds
Have you TRIED 69 grn bullets in your 1-9"? 77 grainers is likely a stretch, but my 1-9 handles up to 70 grains quite well. I haven't tried heavier than that, normally shoot 55 to 65 grain bullets in 1-8 and 1-9 barrels.
Old February 17, 2020, 10:04   #10
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead504 View Post
Is it true that Ballistic Advantage makes the barrels for Aero Precision?

Jarhead
They are in cahoots, having formed some kind of partnership, got an email from them 'bout 6 months ago informing of that.
End of last year, got an AERO M5 Receiver set and Handguards with Ballistic Advantage barrel as a package deal from AERO.

Last edited by MAINER; February 17, 2020 at 10:12.
MAINER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2020, 17:57   #11
yovinny
Old Fart
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Are those Ballistic Advantage barrels comparable to Wilson Combat ?
I dont know how much their discount is, but they seem comparably priced otherwise.
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2020, 22:59   #12
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
The average 16 inch 1 in 9 twist will stabilize 69 grain bullets, but barely. The 60 VMax will be a lot more accurate. The DSA or PSA uppers shoot ok, I have both, but nothing to write home about. I have a Black Hole Weaponry (now called Columbia River Arms) upper that will almost put them in one hole at 100 yards. Once you shoot a real accurate upper, you will find the run of the mill ones lacking.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2020, 05:43   #13
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Comparing quality of DSA and PSA is like comparing difference between a KIA and a Hyundai. Yes some models are better than others but bottom line is both are budget Johnny-come-latelies. Now if you want a premium barrel you could buy White Oak Armament, Noveske and Compass Lake Engineering for your AR along with others and get a tube that's top line.

Then there are a plethora of mid quality and cheap cap barrels of which there are so many players it's hard to keep up with who is who. When you mention Ballistic Advantage barrels are you talking their entry line or their BA Hansen tunes which are totally different animals? I would not buy their Ballistic Advantage line but will buy their BA Hansen line. At one time it was easier to discover who made what bareel for Palmetto bUT not so much these days.

As Meltdown mentioned ARP aka AR Performance likely makes the best $175 to $215 barrels consistently of any maker I have tied. Have at least fifteen ARP barrels that shoot 1 MOA and under. Have a 20" 22 Nosler 3R barrel from ARP that is an easy coyote rifle out to 500-600 yards as well as TAC 6 and 270 AR tunes that will ruin a varmints day out to 500-600 yard range and a human size critter to 800 yards. I purchased an 18" 6.8 spc II barrel from them expecting it to be a 1 MOA rifle out to maybe 200 yards and minute of man out to 400-500 yards.

That 18" 6.8 barrel now has over a dozen cold bore first round kills on coyote and ground hogs in the 380 to 420 yard range and only reason not more and out to longer ranges is I tend to carry a 22 Nosler when know I am going to be in long open terrain and want an AR 15 rather than a bolt action. The 18" 6.8 will put twenty out of twenty rounds into a silhouette target at 800 yards if have a good read on distance, wind and no mirage or parallax issues.

To answer your initial question if wanting to shoot heavy bullets out of a 5.56 a 1:7 should do it and a 1:9 should struggle but that is if barrels are of comparable quality. In 5.56 I have more 1:8 tubes than 1:7 or 1:9. I don't shoot many 77 grain or heavier and my varmint tubes in 5.56 are usually 22" to 26" 1:12. I really like a 1:8 twist as it seems to love the 62 to 69 grain weights I prefer. I can make a 69 grain SMK shoot like magic in a good 1:8 but two of my better shooting rifles now aready 1:7.7. The question is projectile, weight, distance and wind potential when choosing a barrel then buy the best you can. Odds are your getting a Lothar-Walther barrel if buy a Wilson. YMMV
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2020, 06:53   #14
yovinny
Old Fart
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Odds are your getting a Lothar-Walther barrel if buy a Wilson. YMMV
I'll take that,,,,

Btw,,,if anyone is looking for a SS 16" heavy varmint 223 1:9 carbine barrel, Lothar-Walther themselves has some on close out dirt cheap....like $140.
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2020, 12:36   #15
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Then there are a plethora of mid quality and cheap cap barrels of which there are so many players it's hard to keep up with who is who. When you mention Ballistic Advantage barrels are you talking their entry line or their BA Hansen tunes which are totally different animals? I would not buy their Ballistic Advantage line but will buy their BA Hansen line. At one time it was easier to discover who made what bareel for Palmetto bUT not so much these days.
I've been buying the Ballistic Advantage Hanson line barrels
nvcdl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2020, 18:32   #16
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvcdl View Post
I've been buying the Ballistic Advantage Hanson line barrels
Same here... awesome little barrels. Gas ports are perfectly sized for most applications. The supplied pinned gas block also aids in a painless home build.