The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AUG Files

Notices

Old February 15, 2020, 15:05   #1
BarnOwlLover
Registered

FALaholic #: 81552
Current AUG muzzle devices

It seems that recently that actual Steyr AUGs, aside from some made for the US market, have moved away from the tulip-type flash hider and have adopted either a large, heavily ported muzzle brake/compensator, and some have even used the muzzle brake designed for the AUG LMG.

I understand that this is probably to enhance controlability in full auto/rapid semi auto firing and the devices are pretty effective it seems. What I do wonder is how well they work as flash hiders and how effective they are for like combat-type sports/competitive shooting, at it seems that those devices have appeal for competition shooters and both Steyr Arms and Corvus Defensio are selling the current ported brakes and LMG brakes to competition and target shooters.
BarnOwlLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2020, 18:36   #2
moonbat60
Registered

FALaholic #: 17000
I could not stand the tulip style muzzle device on my A3M1. Replaced it with one of those 3-prong devices by Manticore Arms.

All I see right now when shooting it is a puff of smoke, flash is gone by almost 100%.
moonbat60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2020, 20:49   #3
BarnOwlLover
Registered

FALaholic #: 81552
I'm looking more at controlability as the main attribute. The AUG LMG muzzle brake seems to do a good job at controlling recoil and muzzle blast. Not sure about the AUG A3 muzzle brake/compensator, though I've read that it's both very effective as far as controlling climb and blast, though it's nearly as harsh as an AK-74/AK-100 type brake to nearby bystanders

Also for what it's worth, the LMG brake is quite a bit shorter in length than the tulip flash hider or the A3 brake/comp.
BarnOwlLover is offline   Reply With Quote