The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old February 11, 2020, 10:06   #1
FALmeister
Registered

FALaholic #: 83730
Newbie Questions - L1A1 Sporter .308

I recently purchased a small collection of WWII rifles in a bulk buy. In the collection are a couple of rifles with which I have no expertise. One is an L1A1 Sporter .308. This rifle is not well known to me and not my field of expertise. I would appreciate your comments about the history of the rifle, its manufacture and estimated value. A friend has said that it may be worth more, "parted out" than as a complete rifle. I don't know. I look forward to your thoughts and comments about this weapon. Thanks in advance for your responses. My first attempt at adding images on Imgur. I hope this works. Please let me know.

https://imagemeister.imgur.com/all/?third_party=1
FALmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2020, 10:40   #2
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
your link failed

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2020, 10:48   #3
FALmeister
Registered

L1A1 Sporter Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
your link failed
Hello! Thank you. When I click on the link in the post, I am taken right to the pictures. First time I've tried Imgur, so any suggestions? It worked for me.

I have a post on another rifle subsequent to this one. Would you try the link on that one and see if it works?

Thank you.
Old February 11, 2020, 11:48   #4
FALmeister
Registered

Newbie Questions L1A1 - Pictures

Ok, I think this works for pictures of the L1A1 from my first post. Unfamiliar rifle to me. Not my area of expertise. I'd like to know about the rifle, manufacture and any value you may place own it.

I look forward to your comments. Thank you

Last edited by FALmeister; February 11, 2020 at 12:12. Reason: Resize images.
Old February 11, 2020, 12:15   #5
lostmybearing
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 62976
You have a Imbel upper (desirable) , a Enfield lower, a Trilux SUIT dustcover without the Trilux, and an Israeli bolt holder open. Take some pictures with the handguards off of the markings on the barrel.
Old February 11, 2020, 13:41   #6
FALmeister
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmybearing View Post
You have a Imbel upper (desirable) , a Enfield lower, a Trilux SUIT dustcover without the Trilux, and an Israeli bolt holder open. Take some pictures with the handguards off of the markings on the barrel.
Thank you. I had to buy the four rifles I posted to get the WWII rifles I wanted. As I will sell these soon, can you give me any idea what this one and the others posted would sell for? Thank you.
Old February 11, 2020, 15:01   #7
ppeeks59
Registered

FALaholic #: 80696
Quote:
Originally Posted by FALmeister View Post
Thank you. I had to buy the four rifles I posted to get the WWII rifles I wanted. As I will sell these soon, can you give me any idea what this one and the others posted would sell for? Thank you.
Everything sells for the highest bid at the end of the auction. The same gun will sell for different prices to different buyers on different days. Start the bidding at whatever minimum you'll accept, or start the bidding at a dollar and let the marketplace tell you what it is worth that day.
ppeeks59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2020, 15:54   #8
FALmeister
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppeeks59 View Post
Everything sells for the highest bid at the end of the auction. The same gun will sell for different prices to different buyers on different days. Start the bidding at whatever minimum you'll accept, or start the bidding at a dollar and let the marketplace tell you what it is worth that day.
Thank you. Good idea.
Old February 11, 2020, 17:57   #9
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
The FAL is a parts-gun.

If you find the right buyers, you can probably net a couple hundred dollars more for it as parts than as a complete firearm.

That assumes that your time dealing with individual sales, and the aggravation of cherry-picker buyers, is worth/costs you nothing.

Then there are shipping costs (including your time and expenses driving to-and-from the post office) for the separate sales.

Probably would sell quickly on auction with a starting price of $700, and if auction is managed by a vetted seller.

You have good pictures. If you can post an equally-good description, and statement of terms-of-sale, you probably will get through the ordeal of selling online without too many bruises.

If you are not already an ESTABLISHED buyer/seller on the auction sites, that will work markedly to your detriment in selling any high-dollar item.

And for fugksake, invest in a GOOD BOX for shipping the rifle.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2020, 21:19   #10
FALmeister
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
The FAL is a parts-gun.

If you find the right buyers, you can probably net a couple hundred dollars more for it as parts than as a complete firearm.

That assumes that your time dealing with individual sales, and the aggravation of cherry-picker buyers, is worth/costs you nothing.

Then there are shipping costs (including your time and expenses driving to-and-from the post office) for the separate sales.

Probably would sell quickly on auction with a starting price of $700, and if auction is managed by a vetted seller.

You have good pictures. If you can post an equally-good description, and statement of terms-of-sale, you probably will get through the ordeal of selling online without too many bruises.

If you are not already an ESTABLISHED buyer/seller on the auction sites, that will work markedly to your detriment in selling any high-dollar item.

And for fugksake, invest in a GOOD BOX for shipping the rifle.
Roger, that! Thanks.