The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old February 06, 2020, 00:45   #1
second amend
Registered

FALaholic #: 530
I've been out of the loop, legality question please.

Are there still any FAL muzzle devices that are considered illegal? Images of said items if so? I'm not interested in the legality of silencers.

Thank you

Last edited by second amend; February 06, 2020 at 00:52.
second amend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2020, 07:43   #2
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 9689
Not to my knowledge.

One of the most infamous was the XM177 noise reducer/flash hider with serial numbers sold on the open market during the 1980's and later reclassified as sliencers which must be registered or turned in.
Old February 06, 2020, 10:50   #3
second amend
Registered

Thank you, I have always been confused by the 922r laws.
Old February 07, 2020, 16:25   #4
Artful
Registered

FALaholic #: 10191
the 922r laws specify a number of american made parts - if you are putting only an american made brake/flash hider it will count towards your total number of needed american parts.

I like to use the following parts for 922r compliance..

Receiver
hammer
trigger
sear
gas piston
charging handle
pistol grip

This way, you can use the original flash hider
and the original hand guard and buttstock.

Other people used to swap out magazine parts like floor plates and stuff - on my first ones I used American hand guards and buttstocks.
Old February 07, 2020, 18:09   #5
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful View Post
the 922r laws specify a number of american made parts - if you are putting only an american made brake/flash hider it will count towards your total number of needed american parts.

I like to use the following parts for 922r compliance..

Receiver
hammer
trigger
sear
gas piston
charging handle
pistol grip

This way, you can use the original flash hider
and the original hand guard and buttstock.

Other people used to swap out magazine parts like floor plates and stuff - on my first ones I used American hand guards and buttstocks.
JMHO, but I studiously avoif and US fire control parts. I understand that the late DSA stuff is okay, but based upon past history, I wouldn't trust a US hts in any gun I might have to trust my life to.

Does anybody still pay any attention to 922r anyway ?

I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.

The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it. Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2020, 22:17   #6
Artful
Registered

FALaholic #: 10191
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
JMHO, but I studiously avoif and US fire control parts. I understand that the late DSA stuff is okay, but based upon past history, I wouldn't trust a US hts in any gun I might have to trust my life to.

Does anybody still pay any attention to 922r anyway ?
It's been a long time since I built one but I never had trouble with the HTS parts in my guns. But as the saying goes you mileage may vary.

J. Armstrong who did you buy your parts from?
Old February 08, 2020, 23:59   #7
Arby
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 653
Quote:
It's been a long time since I built one but I never had trouble with the HTS parts in my guns.
If I might, I'll respond to this question.

I've had problems with the old FSE fire control parts, years ago. To his credit, Harold Shinn replaced all of the defective parts that were reported to him. Some hammers broke due to hardening; some groups had problems with doubling (embarrassing when you are burst firing on the range ). Some of the DSA HTS sets had some pretty gritty resistance, too.

FWIW, all of my builds are 922(r) compliant. But I do share Jim's concerns about non-OEM fire control parts. I don't trust them anywhere as much as I trust the originals, be they Steyr, Belgian, Imbel, Britt, Aussie, or whatever.
Arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 09, 2020, 08:40   #8
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
It's been a long time since I built one but I never had trouble with the HTS parts in my guns. But as the saying goes you mileage may vary.

J. Armstrong who did you buy your parts from?
Over the years I've built at least 10 FALs, many different suppliers. For 922r HTS, Century, , FSE, DSA come to mind. The Centuries I tossed on reputation, most FSEs seemed okay but one series ( 3 ? ) had known issues with the hammer breaking. The DSAs were problematic, I want to say doubling but it has been years ago.... I understand current DSAs are okay, though. Last experiment was a few years ago with an adjustable HTS whose name escapes me at the moment. Setting the thing up was incredibly fiddly, and although the final setup gave an extremely nice trigger pull, I couldn't bring myself to trust that all the tiny setscrews were going to stay where they were supposed to. The fact that the hammer pivot hole was way oversize and allowed the hammer to wiggle all over the place didn't exactly inspire trust either !

I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.

The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it. Robert E. Lee
Old February 09, 2020, 10:02   #9
The Chief
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 76457
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
Last experiment was a few years ago with an adjustable HTS whose name escapes me at the moment. Setting the thing up was incredibly fiddly, and although the final setup gave an extremely nice trigger pull, I couldn't bring myself to trust that all the tiny setscrews were going to stay where they were supposed to. The fact that the hammer pivot hole was way oversize and allowed the hammer to wiggle all over the place didn't exactly inspire trust either !
That'd be the Jard trigger, iirc
COBC #66
Farkn Snekee Basttch
(formerly 'Capt D')
The Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 09, 2020, 11:01   #10
second amend
Registered

This is The FalFiles I remember. Thank you for all of the replies.
Old February 09, 2020, 13:37   #11
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
That'd be the Jard trigger, iirc
Right you are, sir ! My Olde Farte brain was apparently stuck in neutral

I really wanted to like it, but the QC and complicated design put me off.