The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old January 31, 2020, 10:28   #1
straycat23
Registered

FALaholic #: 59479
AR15/M16 Book Recommendations

Are there recommendations on a good book on various markings of the barrels and receivers as well as parts of early civilian Colt AR15 and military M16 rifles including twist rates as well as H&R, Hydramatic variations? I bought one book and it was a bust. Thanks in advance for ant responses
straycat23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2020, 17:48   #2
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Here is an entire thread on books about AR 15s where I posted information on over two dozen books. Problem is many I posted photos of their covers using tinypic which photobucket shut down so all you get is a picture of a emoticon. Can find the name of a book I was recommending due to its tremendous amount of information on different varients of the AR design used by militaries around the world.

https://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425029

Name of thread is the name of the first book recommended as had dozens of varients from U.S. inventory and foreign inventories had never seen. Even inspired a clone in my inventory which is a integrally suppressed AR with night vision sighting system. Forget off the top of my head which now but had to do a Form 1 suppressor as entire barrel assembly is part of the suppressor with holes machined into the barrel venting into baffles running entire length of a 18" barrel. It's the quietest suppressed 5.56 AR I own but very odd as full power ammo loses a lot of velocity as gas starts venting near the chamber, gas block and tube are buried in the outer suppressor tube which also becomes the forearm. Run mine using 77 grain bullets that are supersonic even in my 9.5" AR pistol with a can on it but they loose so much velocity by time they reach end of the 18" barrel with holes milled entire length around barrel to feed gas into the oddly shaped tube the eventually drop to subsonic velocity before travel length of the oddly designed suppressor.

I did a Google seach on "thread named "AR Platform Firearms & Calibers First Edition" in FAL Files" hit images and Google pulled these thumbnails from somewhere within the Files site. Will have to pull about fifty books on AR 15 history, use and building to repost my original thread with actual photos instead of tinypic error notices.

These were all I found of orIginal pics from original thread and all came from thumbnails hidden within the Files site. Be nice if someone could figure out how to link these thumbnails back to all the original threads that now have images missing and error images from the hosting site poster was using when Files site stored them. A lot of old threads would at least have these low resolution thumbnails rather than nothing. This means any photo anyone posted on this site and either deleted or was glad when their hosting company folded are actually still in here somewhere if someone figures out how to get at them.

If look up an old thread with missing pictures just drop thread name in Google task bar and click on images. May have to reword your search a couple times but IIke I just did can at least recover something. When tinypic closed up it left most of my posted photos missing. Keep meaning to go back to some threads and edit my posts with proper photos replaced and use one of my websites to host them so do not ever dissappear because when get site (s) how I want plan is to pay a decades hosting with a small account to accrue enough interest to keep website hosted long after I croak and server company dies. Will just hand passwords to willing parties younger than me to keep sites up and adding content.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2020, 18:32   #3
straycat23
Registered

Wow! Lots of information. I appreciate it. What I am looking for is a book addressing parts and markings on barrels, receivers, types of stocks on early m16 and AR15 rifles from Colt, H&R and GM Hydramatic and information on early Armalite.
Old January 31, 2020, 18:52   #4
hkshooter
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
The Complete AR15/M16 Source Book above is one that I've had. It has lots of historical info you may seek and is an excellent resource. It's way out of date today for newer equipment but from the every beginning up through the mid 80's it's the AR15 bible.
Old January 31, 2020, 18:59   #5
straycat23
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
The Complete AR15/M16 Source Book above is one that I've had. It has lots of historical info you may seek and is an excellent resource. It's way out of date today for newer equipment but from the every beginning up through the mid 80's it's the AR15 bible.
Thank you. I will try to find one.
Old February 18, 2020, 21:02   #6
fal762
Registered

FALaholic #: 66358
Still looking for that AR Platform Firearms & Calibers book. Still can't find any retailers and Google still doesn't have a link to buy it (tried two different browsers). Only still shows this
Amazon.com No price No rating
Barnes&Noble.com No price No rating
Books-A-Million No price No rating
IndieBound\ No price No rating

A site that searches by isbn says that is an invalid number also

Thinking I may have to download it but would much rather have print edition.

Lulu.com (publisher) doesn't show it in a search on their site.

Last edited by fal762; February 18, 2020 at 21:10. Reason: Lulu reference
fal762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2020, 08:30   #7
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Try: "The Black Rifle: M-16 Retrospective" by Blake Stevens.

Jarhead
Old February 19, 2020, 08:45   #8
starbuck
Registered

FALaholic #: 26466
If you haven't watched it the AGI ar15/m16 armorers course is interesting. Its available out there.
Old February 20, 2020, 11:26   #9
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by fal762 View Post
Still looking for that AR Platform Firearms & Calibers book. Still can't find any retailers and Google still doesn't have a link to buy it (tried two different browsers). Only still shows this
Why I buy many soon as see because they sell out and author only does one printing. After doing a couple books know how much it costs to self publish when have to pay for good printing and binding then try to market them. Luckily have done well with mine but lots of people collect climbing guides that don't even climb.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote