Notices

Old September 10, 2019, 10:32   #1
Grahamneall
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 62175
WTS: P.38 WWII Un-Issued

I have a pristine P.38; un-issued, Nazi marked WWII P.38

I have no provenance for this pistol, other than the history of what I was advised when I purchased this back in 2012. It has sat in my safe since the day I received it. The photo's will speak for themselves as to the condition of this rare find.

History:
The gentleman I purchased this from had it in his safe since his original purchase sometime after 1986 (I don't recall the exact year). The seller indicated he had never fired this pistol, neither have I. The Pistol was originally discovered back in that era in one of the old Eastern Bloc countries, in a Nazi marked wood crate, along with several others. These pistols were still coated in cosmolene and apparently never issued to the Nazi forces.

The pistols & crate were auctioned, purchased & imported to the US by CAI:
After import, CAI's plans were to sell the pistols as a bundle, together with an original Nazi Iron Cross in a presentation case.

The seller knew somebody at CAI and requested to purchase just the Nazi marked wood crate....his request was denied but they agreed to sell him just a single pistol, without the presentation case & Iron Cross.

Condition:
This is a true & original 'Walther' manufactured P.38 (not Mauser or Spreewerks). It displays the correct AC over 43 date code, with 'd' suffix to the Serial Number, indicating a production date of April 1943. All parts are correctly marked with the Serial Numbers & Nazi Waffenamt stamps.

Production dates can be verified here;
http://pistole38.nl.server3.starthos...ctionDates.pdf

You can see by the photo's this pistol is in pristine condition, with only the slightest of storage marks in its (almost) 75 year history.

The hammer face has zero marks on it, as does the face of the firing pin. Upon close inspection, their is a slight rub mark on the upper right corner of the original & correct black, plastic grip....this may have been from holster or plastic case storage by the original owner...I don't know (?). There is zero usage marks on the Trigger, Trigger Guard, Front or Rear Straps. Front & Rear Sight are free of any usage or storage marks.

The Magazine bears the JVD mark on the left side of the housing and what appears to be an electro pencil etch 'S' beneath it. This magazine also appears in un-used condition.

Disclosure; I do not know if the Magazine is original to the pistol, magazine manufacturer's and date codes can be found here;
http://pistole38.nl/p38-accessories/p38-magazines

As required for legal import, CAI discretely & neatly engraved their import mark on the Lower Receiver right hand side (see photo's).

I will be happy to answer any question or take additional photo's.

Question can be sent to my regular email; gneall@sbcglobal.net
Please don't ask me to break this pistol down for further inspection, I have never Field Stripped it and do not want to induce any further unnecessary handling marks.

I accept PayPal f&f; personal checks (with clearance wait time, unless I know you), or certified bank checks. I do not accept US Postal Money Orders....sorry, my local PO is a pain.

All normal MP Rules apply.
The normal & unconditional 'I'll Take it' wins.
It will ship in a plastic pistol case, from my FFL to yours, unless your FFL accepts Firearms from a private seller (with signed copy of my Tx DDL)
I believe this pistol is also eligible for C&R ?
I do not know the rules of C&R.

Asking Price: $1600 plus shipping.
Winner pays for additional Insurance to the value of their choice.

Thanks for looking,
Graham.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/183677597@N05/?

Last edited by Grahamneall; September 10, 2019 at 11:38.
Grahamneall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2019, 11:25   #2
Jennymikeb
Registered

FALaholic #: 80619
It would have been imported after May 1986. Military P38's were not importable from 1968 until 1986. 1986 is when that type of import mark was mandated as part of the Firearms Owners Protection Act.
Jennymikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2019, 11:35   #3
Grahamneall
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennymikeb View Post
It would have been imported after May 1986. Military P38's were not importable from 1968 until 1986. 1986 is when that type of import mark was mandated as part of the Firearms Owners Protection Act.
Thanks for the input.....I will amend the ad.
As noted, I don't recall, it's been so long.
Graham.
Old September 10, 2019, 11:36   #4
GSAD
Registered

FALaholic #: 76236
Don't let them boys over at the P38 Website see this with a price like that on a Import stamped P38.
GSAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2019, 11:41   #5
Grahamneall
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAD View Post
Don't let them boys over at the P38 Website see this with a price like that on a Import stamped P38.
Do they have an un-issued P.38 ?
G.
Old September 10, 2019, 17:42   #6
SPEEDGUNNER
Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 43933
A CAI import marked pistol will never bring that kind of money, regardless of condition. I can't see enough from the pictures if it is a "Russian Capture" that has been refinished. A lot of them were brought into the country during that time frame and they look new. The way to tell would be to disassemble the pistol and see if the locking block is blued or "in the white". Matched, no line outs, presuming the bore is bright it would be a great shooter for someone.

Sorry to be a party pooper...
Old September 10, 2019, 19:15   #7
Grahamneall
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDGUNNER View Post
A CAI import marked pistol will never bring that kind of money, regardless of condition. I can't see enough from the pictures if it is a "Russian Capture" that has been refinished. A lot of them were brought into the country during that time frame and they look new. The way to tell would be to disassemble the pistol and see if the locking block is blued or "in the white". Matched, no line outs, presuming the bore is bright it would be a great shooter for someone.

Sorry to be a party pooper...
That's okay...all info appreciated.
(they said that about Rhodies )
Maybe I'll just put it back in the safe.
Graham.
Old September 10, 2019, 19:50   #8
hkshooter
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
I've read that a blued locking block isn't definitive when it comes to refinish or RC. But I'm no P38 expert.

My own (recently reacquired) P38 is all matching numbers with an excellent finish with very little, honest wear. Odd thing is it has no import mark, anywhere. Locking block is blued and I believe it to be an RC. How it got here, I have no idea.
Old September 10, 2019, 20:15   #9
FUUN063
Registered

FALaholic #: 35576
In my experience, the Russian reblues have a large "X" stamped on the left side of the frame under the slide. I've had many of these. I also recently purchased a vet bring back, very nice AC43.

Leland
FUUN063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2019, 20:33   #10
kp2112
Registered

FALaholic #: 79763
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
I've read that a blued locking block isn't definitive when it comes to refinish or RC. But I'm no P38 expert.

My own (recently reacquired) P38 is all matching numbers with an excellent finish with very little, honest wear. Odd thing is it has no import mark, anywhere. Locking block is blued and I believe it to be an RC. How it got here, I have no idea.
Look for tiny import marks under the grips, inside the slide, bottom near the magwell or super light mark under the barrel. Some early imports had no markings.

RC P38s, unlike the RC rifles, were usually kept together serial number-wise and the marks are not peened or scrubbed. Grips are wrong many times though.
kp2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2019, 21:39   #11
hkshooter
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp2112 View Post
Look for tiny import marks under the grips, inside the slide, bottom near the magwell or super light mark under the barrel. Some early imports had no markings.

RC P38s, unlike the RC rifles, were usually kept together serial number-wise and the marks are not peened or scrubbed. Grips are wrong many times though.
I've been over this one field stripped with a 5x Optivisor and haven't found a thing. Some day I'm going to find an expert on these things and have them go over it. The blue all matches perfectly from piece to piece, no weird or purple blue. The machining marks are crude and rough like one might expect in 1943 Germany (Mauser) when the war demanded production speed over cosmetics. The finish is worn and not new looking but at the same time it's not overly worn as one might expect for a wartime pistol. I'm guessing 90-95%. There are a few small pits that look to be on the finish vs IN the finish. Bakelite grips are in excellent condition, no cracks or chips.
I'd like to get a period correct holster for it.

I once had a byf44 I got from SGW. Clearly refinished to look new, barrel was brown, the rest of the pistol was blue. The barrel looked like a new replacement, actually. The machine marks on the OD of the barrel were perfect, not a ding or scratch and not worn smooth by media blasting.
Old September 10, 2019, 22:27   #12
kp2112
Registered

FALaholic #: 79763
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
I've been over this one field stripped with a 5x Optivisor and haven't found a thing. Some day I'm going to find an expert on these things and have them go over it. The blue all matches perfectly from piece to piece, no weird or purple blue. The machining marks are crude and rough like one might expect in 1943 Germany (Mauser) when the war demanded production speed over cosmetics. The finish is worn and not new looking but at the same time it's not overly worn as one might expect for a wartime pistol. I'm guessing 90-95%. There are a few small pits that look to be on the finish vs IN the finish. Bakelite grips are in excellent condition, no cracks or chips.
I'd like to get a period correct holster for it.

I once had a byf44 I got from SGW. Clearly refinished to look new, barrel was brown, the rest of the pistol was blue. The barrel looked like a new replacement, actually. The machine marks on the OD of the barrel were perfect, not a ding or scratch and not worn smooth by media blasting.

I'm far from an expert on these, plenty of them out there if you want to know for sure on various boards
kp2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2019, 08:18   #13
FUUN063
Registered

FALaholic #: 35576
hk, one of the best guys around our parts lives in Elwood and he's not doing so well. He's gettin' older, as are we. He used to set up at gun shows all around here. Most that go to shows know him and that he buys/sells German stuff of all kinds. His name is Phil Valentine.

Leland
FUUN063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2019, 09:39   #14
hkshooter
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

Thanks Leland.