Notices

Old March 25, 2020, 14:27   #1
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Nations starting to "hoard"?

Food....
https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/ma...de/ar-BB11EY3M
"Itís not just grocery shoppers who are hoarding pantry staples. Some governments are moving to secure domestic food supplies during the conoravirus pandemic."

It's wise,I suppose,to consider your own population before exporting it to others. IceAge Farmer has basically been saying this for months. We need to not only stock foodstuff at a national scale,but even at a state scale and lower. We need to do for ourselves,a lot more. I learned how to can meat this last year. Even bought my wife a newer,bigger canner,and have been buying jars left and right. She kept saying,"don't we have enough jars? Why do you keep buying more jars?" Then THIS happens. I am going heavy into lids and rings next,along with other products for canning. It won't spoil. A garden too. Big one this year. It's what we have to do.
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2020, 14:33   #2
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
We have all talked about the grocery system being ready to fail for years. Next day rewards card to keep what we use on the shelves and no stockpiles. Stores used to have extra food in warehouses but it cost too much to keep the warehouses filled. Heck come tax time on the warehouse food they lose any profit.
Old March 25, 2020, 15:53   #3
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
In terms of growing food for survival, keep in mind that, if the shit really hits the fan, you probably should avoid growing a big garden until the year after the 'collapse.' You'll only be growing food for those who take it from you otherwise.

Of course, that means that you need at least a years worth of food storage to begin with, and it's likely that the .gov thugs will try to seize it from you because you're a hoarder (a term that's being increasingly vilified daily and used to attack prudent people).

Yes, seed viability decreases over time (some quite dramatically), but 20% is still better than none. Judge the amounts of seed you buy accordingly. At this moment, even with what's going on, most seed sellers still have most products in stock. That will change quickly given events and the end of the seed selling 'season.' Even if you don't plan on planting anything this year, you should still buy seeds...

Just sayin'...

Forrest
ftierson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2020, 16:11   #4
Bawana jim
Registered

Growing food takes a lot of water in season, if you think your city water will still be working then how much will you have to pay for water to grow food? Food is the Achilles heel in our survival, weather, slugs, bugs, mold, birds, animals, thieves, or just one hot day in the sun and your garden is gone.
Old March 25, 2020, 17:52   #5
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Growing food takes a lot of water in season, if you think your city water will still be working then how much will you have to pay for water to grow food? Food is the Achilles heel in our survival, weather, slugs, bugs, mold, birds, animals, thieves, or just one hot day in the sun and your garden is gone.
Here, water really is the Achilles heel in/for survival. If we're discussing growing food for the reason I mentioned above, well, then you have to assume no city water and cost for water is irrelevant, if you catch my drift.

I grew up in the central Adirondacks of northern New York State, where the seasonal water fall (rain/snow) is 45 inches a year. No water problem there...

Here in the Colorado Springs area, the number is closer to 12 inches per year. The bulk of it is in May/June/July (early growing season), but it's not enough unless your garden is mostly prickly-pear cactus and cholla and yucca (and none of them are really succulent when it's really dry).

Of course, that's always assuming weather patterns/climate remain(s) the same...

Forrest
ftierson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2020, 18:03   #6
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
Here, water really is the Achilles heel in/for survival. If we're discussing growing food for the reason I mentioned above, well, then you have to assume no city water and cost for water is irrelevant, if you catch my drift.

I grew up in the central Adirondacks of northern New York State, where the seasonal water fall (rain/snow) is 45 inches a year. No water problem there...

Here in the Colorado Springs area, the number is closer to 12 inches per year. The bulk of it is in May/June/July (early growing season), but it's not enough unless your garden is mostly prickly-pear cactus and cholla and yucca (and none of them are really succulent when it's really dry).

Of course, that's always assuming weather patterns/climate remain(s) the same...

Forrest
I live close to one of the city water supplies so if the canal if working I could pack water here for a garden. City water is the most expensive part of growing a garden here if you have to pay for it. Just normal water use is over $100 a month.

While I could buy a big tank from Coastal Farm and fill it off my roof in one rainstorm I just don't know how long the tank would last in the weather above ground. How many years will it take to make payback from the expense of setting up a water system?

In the summer I can buy fresh vegetables from the farmers market cheaper than I can grow my own. I can them for winter and that the only garden work I do.
Old March 26, 2020, 11:29   #7
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Unless able to grow ourselves not buying fresh vegetables as have no idea health of people who picked, packed and stocked them. Too hard to disenfect so it's frozen and canned for now. Grocery stores are saying fresh produce is going bad in coolers but can't keep canned on shelves. Saw a blurb on t.v. where older lady (late 70s, early 80s?) was leveraging a sale on fresh vegetables as market was trying to clear out before went bad. She had two buggies and said she was going to can them all, not eat any till flash boiled and canned so any virus/bacteria was killed.

China is now holding back antibiotics, ibuprofen and more. India is witholding all meds that normally come to U.S. market according to one source I read but have not confirmed it. Many of the med countries around the world are blocking shipmentioned to U.S. are made in factories owned or have contracts on majority of product produced. We need the chop them off at the knees soon as possible. We run to their aid whenever have a disaster but they lock us out of our own supplies when suits them.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2020, 00:13   #8
mountainmoped
Registered

FALaholic #: 16290
My wife has 3 Aerogardens that provide us with fresh vegetables. They are small self-contained hydroponic systems. They are microprocessor controlled systems with LED grow lights and a water circulating pump. They fit on a small table in the kitchen and provide us with more vegetables than we can use. They use little electricity and water and require little maintenance and grow plants 5 to 10 times faster than an outside garden. We bought them so we could have fresh vegetables in winter and not worry about bacterial infections spread by grocery store produce. Here is a link to their web site:
https://www.aerogarden.com/?cid=ppc_...den%20-%20EXCT
mountainmoped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2020, 01:06   #9
allamerican401
Registered

FALaholic #: 77335
Not sure on the water to grow food. It grows pretty good on it's own in the midwest. Plenty of creeks and rivers close. Also anything to make a good layered water filter before boiling, if needed. I never realized that other people had so many problems farming.
allamerican401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2020, 06:48   #10
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
I know nothing about planting making, so where do you get seeds that are not one-shot deals and do not result in you being sued?
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2020, 22:12   #11
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Since topic is Nations Starting to Hoard, China is now refusing to let 3M send any N95 masks out of China. U.S. company owned product, made for U.S. use and we can't have them. We need to divorce ourselves from all need for Chinese goods. Believe Sweden (may have that off but correct region of Europe) where large amount of hydroxychloroquine is made is now refusing to export. Medical industry needs to come home. What if we had a WW1/WW2 event and our enemies had all our infrastructure for medical supplies given to them by our corporate need to maximize profit? Looking back seems Like Clinton then Obama really enabled that agenda.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old March 29, 2020, 23:23   #12
Glucker
Registered

FALaholic #: 12384
Hueyville I told my congressman just that, at a local meet and greet last summer. As I now live in a rural county, there was only about ten people total including him and an aide, and I was the only citizen there with anything substantive to say beyond howdy. Told him I support the President's position re. China 110%, and that we need to wean ourselves off of China dependence as a source of our goods, and as importantly as a market for our own goods, lest we end up completely beholden to them like Australia is becoming (has become).

Your recent grocery excursion mimics mine at my nearest Super Wal Mart. Was there at opening time 7:00am last Thursday morning, blitzed through avoiding other shoppers. No paper products, no bottled water, much diminished selection/availability of canned goods. I wasn't there for any of those things, just scouted them while I was grabbing what I was there for. Paid at self checkout, cleaned hands before loading car, and departed. As of today that county is still Corona free (the majority of Texas counties are, or at least of known carriers).

Also checked the ammo cabinet, reasonably well stocked (by average consumer standards, not FalFiler standards) with what ammo Wal Mart still sells, including some .22lr. Most of the good stuff that they closed out last December is now in the possession of moi.

Last edited by Glucker; March 29, 2020 at 23:28.
Glucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:13   #13
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Missed the cutoff date for "tactical" ammo sales at my Walmart. Sporting goods manager said he took it all that was left (a heaped over buggy) and put in their compacting dumpster. Said had anyone come in around 11 pm on last day likely could have bought the entire buggy for twenty bucks. That said had already about given up on Walmart for political reasons but thought I would liberate last of ammo but had my timing off.