Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old November 13, 2013, 22:52   #51
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45x4 View Post
Avoid cold northern states. Avoid southern states which are hurricane prone/tornado prone. The suggested spot is MORE than one tank of gas from the nearest city. Develop a skill/trade that will make you valuable to your neighbors. Not sure lawyer is gonna cut it.
I doubt there are many places that are worth living and sustainable over a tank of gas away from a major metro, which should be something like 400-500 miles. People usually filled in the land that wasn't fairly hostile.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2013, 09:03   #52
Varangian
Registered

FALaholic #: 33899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroscout View Post
There are no other grids...there is TX and then there is everywhere else....or everywhere else and then there is TX...whichever way your glass fills/empties.

TX produces enough energy locally to sustain the TX grid....the same cannot be said for "the rest". TX can stand on its own.

Texas has (as of 09) the 14th largest economy in the world...I don't think the IT will hit all States equally.

Financial catastrophe has a tendency to be harder on the poor than the rich....and TX is rich compared to all the other states......exports total more than CA and NY combined.

I have no illusions as to the fact that if IT happens...we are all screwed. Call me a bitter clinger but I think TX is in better shape to weather the storm than many other places specifically because of the TX grid, locally produced energy resources, as well as being one of the few States with a budget surplus. That whole being one of the largest economies in the world doesn't hurt either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Texas

The border fence is coming in TX you can bank on it...just a matter of which borders its going up on.
You keep running that manpleaser and they're all gonna want to come.

Sorry, y'all, Texas is plumb full! Welcome to Texas, take someone with you when you leave!
Varangian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2013, 18:09   #53
FIANNAFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 9035
There is no place left to run to!
Every place has some form of drawback.
Ever notice how expensive cheap women are!!
FIANNAFAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2019, 00:09   #54
leadcounsel
Registered

FALaholic #: 61995
SIX YEARS later, thanks for all of the thoughtful replies. I took them to heart.

In the last 6 years, I watched my former state Washington sink into the abyss of liberal control, major multiple gun control laws passed, and a lot of other leftists policies.

2019 was a year of big miracles and life changes for me. One was full-speed ahead on moving. I'll spare you the long version, but in my search Idaho kept coming up.

Key events for Idaho was a 2014 unanimous passage of rejecting any new federal gun control, and then 2018 enacting Constitutional Carry, Castle Doctrine, and some other pro-gun rights laws. It jumped to #2 as best in the nation for gun rights per Guns And Ammo (behind AZ).

Coupled with other key things I wanted, this all put Idaho #1 on my roster and I moved to SW Idaho. Thanks for all the input, especially the suggestions to look at Idaho.
Old December 26, 2019, 00:25   #55
Tip_drill
Registered

FALaholic #: 82930
I chose AZ,

After completing a 4 year commitment that left me disillusioned, i rode the rails as a hobo for 2 years from east to west , north to south searching for home..I saw some truly awe inspiring scenery and experienced as close to total freedom as a man can in this industrialized society of 300+ million people...What i saw was an America in transition with small town USA in economic decline and disrepair, Many if not all the main streets that were filled with stores 25 years ago are now empty , boarded up , with no prospects of ever getting a tenant.

Besides, I hate the cold weather.
Tip_drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2019, 02:33   #56
frankxtc
Registered

FALaholic #: 10952
Leadcounsel, congratulations on the new locale!
Please report back after a year or so on how you like SW Id.
I am also looking to escape, 90% chance my current home state is going communist next election.
And Iím wearing out chain saws after all the hurricanes, 70 is to old to do this kind of repetitive recovery/rebuilding.
I do not go in for collecting guns.
I never buy a gun unless I really need it.
As a matter of fact, I really only need about a dozen, or possibly fourteen, more guns than I have now.
frankxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2019, 07:36   #57
Cavadus
Registered

FALaholic #: 72900
I fled from Minnesota to Texas. Got divorced and got laid off in pretty quick succession.

Took a vacation down to DFW and fell in love. Always enjoyed my time in and around Hood when I was active duty despite it being a shit hole and Austin, which is definitively NOT Texas, being my go-to for booze and ladies on weekend pass.

Very glad I moved, though. Weather is much nicer than the arctic hellscape I came from. No income tax and Minnesota has the second highest state income tax in the nation, commies.

But it's the people down here. Just so much nicer, proud to be Americans, I actually have shit in common with them... BBQ is off the chain too, obviously.

Absolutely one of the best decisions I've made in life so far.
Cavadus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2019, 10:12   #58
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
You guys have your own needs in a move and if your new state fills your needs then you are lucky. I looked at Idaho many years ago and the jobs were plentiful but didn't pay enough. Construction jobs paid half of what jobs in Oregon paid and home prices were even when you bought in populated areas.

Now retired I look back and feel I made the right choice to stay here. Kali folks are moving into other states by the hundreds of thousands so the cancer is spreading. Texas was said to have 87,000 kali folks move there in one year.

My plan is a travel trailer to move where I need to. Here in Oregon they rent rooms in houses for $400 a month so I could rent my travel trailer out when not in use as I have two places with full hookups here. Funny in the 70s I rented a two bedroom duplex for $105 a month and now you can't rent a empty trailer space for $400.

No there is no place to run if you don't have your own job or money to run with now simply because of inflation. Where ever you pick then figure inflation will trap you in the next ten years. Either inflation or a crash with no work.
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2019, 11:19   #59
OFOR
Registered

FALaholic #: 75195
Alaska!
OFOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2019, 15:27   #60
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wyoming are still good. Utah, Nevada and Arizona are turning Purple and will be going to Blue like Colorado and New Mexico in a few years. Unfortunately the Communist parasites (i.e. Democrats) are moving out from their states and like any parasite looking for a new host to infest. Thankfully I lived through maybe the best of times as a bipedal hominid on this planet and won't likely be around for the final collapse.

Old December 26, 2019, 16:37   #61
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
Stay out of Texas, it's fallen.
It will be blue within the next ten years.
That and the border situation.
Old December 26, 2019, 17:21   #62
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Hate to say it but you have to look at where Liberals DON'T want to live these days.

1st item of order is Climate
Has to get bitter Cold

2nd is lack of Urban Centers

only a couple States fit that model
The Dakotas

Montana and Idaho are getting gradually worse
I blame it mostly on the Mountains which seem to attract Liberals like flies to shit
Many places that were basically nearly Ghost Towns in the 90s have transformed into "Art Centers"
what were once largely abandoned store fronts now house "shoppes" owned by East and West Coast urban trash
Examples: Butte and Kalispell MT

Property values have went stupid in Western MT, Idaho is pretty insane now too and all because of migration

Wyoming is still pretty good but better land gets spendy quick & fast
Cody for example is insane high

Texas will hold out a bit longer with Arizona but both will succumb and be as New Mexico is now
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2019, 17:42   #63
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
The time has come that you need to look at the people (local inhabitants) as much as the geography or state politics.

Time is fast-approaching that the people will have to stand for something - or against something.

Leadership can be very hard to identify, and even harder to trust.

Make your time.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2019, 18:13   #64
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
The time has come that you need to look at the people (local inhabitants) as much as the geography or state politics.

Time is fast-approaching that the people will have to stand for something - or against something.

Make your time.
People are the first thing I look at when I look to another state. I spent a month in Arizona when a friend invited us down there. They lived in Phoenix and it didn't take a day to realize that town was full of rude immigrants from other states. Did a hard look for a town that had something to offer and Arizona didn't have it at that time in my life.

Today I wouldn't be looking for work so I could find an out of the way place to live in Arizona. It's the season of your life that leads to the choices you make in some respects.
Old December 26, 2019, 18:18   #65
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

Idaho is still very conservative and cheap to purchase land.
Jobs are tougher. I brought mine with me.

Stay away from areas that are heavily populated or have ski mountains close by and you are good to go.
Ive actually owned homes and run businesses in the last 20 years in Texas, Arizona and California and I can tell you that Idaho is one of the last places.
I agree with the comment about weather. If its cold and there is no ski mountain close you have a pretty good chance of finding a cheap, nice town to live in.
Old December 26, 2019, 18:29   #66
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redoubt View Post

Stay away from areas that are heavily populated or have ski mountains close by and you are good to go.
Ive actually owned homes and run businesses in the last 20 years in Texas, Arizona and California and I can tell you that Idaho is one of the last places.
I agree with the comment about weather. If its cold and there is no ski mountain close you have a pretty good chance of finding a cheap, nice town to live in.
Just one of my worthless stories. Good friend we grew up with moved to Idaho as he got a great job with a tire company there. Wife and three kids and he came home to visit us. On his way back he was in a auto accident with drunken illegals that killed him and his wife and one kid crippled.

Way back then the farms hired a lot of illegals in all our areas so he could have been killed on any road but I just hated idaho for a few years. Now I have more friends there and a brother pretty close to the Idaho border on the Oregon side. I looked hard about moving there with the threat of new gun laws here but probably will never move now.
Old December 26, 2019, 19:23   #67
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

Quote:

another thing is to remove any search well away from major Interstates

I watched towns in Idaho go from mostly vacant business districts to fully populated store fronts in a matter of just a few years
It's happened in Western Montana and to a far lesser extant in North Dakota

One of my hobbies was hitting County offices seeing what was up for tax sale
used to be tons of this in the upper Midwest into the mountains. By the late 90s mostly folks from New England started buying it up turning out tourist traps

For the most part those folks blended in well, they were up for the climate and many were hunters themselves however many began speculative investing and developing advertising back East

Idaho was juiced badly under Obama by his Somali resettlement programs
Boise and Cour' de Laine were hit hard thanks to local churches, have family out there none to pleased about it

Parts of North Idaho off the beaten track are still reasonable
I can agree with that easily but it's still changed a great deal from what it was just 25 years ago

MN is seen as high in cost as well but you get out in the sticks up North land is still found way under a grand an acre, as low as a couple hundred for 40 acre wooded hunting parcels of scrub timber
Old December 26, 2019, 19:49   #68
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post

Make your time.
Probably more this than that WEG

MN is a superb example
State is nearly controlled by just two Urban Counties
the rest of this State is Bloody assed Red
Generally 2 or 3 gunshows a week in MN versus one every several months in North Dakota if that
South Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming are not a great deal different than North Dakota in that regard. It's a basic barometer of a State's RKBA community, rather the size of it.

North Dakota used to have a ton of shows up into the 90s
what happened ?
The guys putting them on mostly aged out or passed & nobody wanted to fill those shoes
It's still a huge pro gun State but collectors are vanishing in favor of Cabelas, Sheels, etc. and mores the pity...

As Progressive as MN is in it's cities it's seriously wood tick Conservative outside them and geographically it will be difficult to effect a hard core gun regulation scheme in this State due to it's wide dispersal of population

That applies to a few other States as well particularly in the Midwest
Old December 26, 2019, 23:50   #69
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
If looking for a state with very generous gun laws with little to no restrictions beyond federal law the Georgia is your state and likely to stay that way. North Carolina seems to be seeing a flood of northerners moving down. We don't have enough coast line to attract many beach folks and our mountains while nice just don't et much respect or notice. Plus all the liberals are mad an boycotting with some moving o I t over our new abortion laws. I believe our state capital crew is trying to discourage liberals from wanting to move here. It's legal open carry without a permit and loaded rifles in your truck except on wildlife management areas and other public lands during deer hunting season. Otherwise a polite yes sir and no sir should get you out of any issue if convince officer it's a defensive rifle not a hunting rifle.

Few tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, rampant fires or other such natural disastors. Can find snow if want in mountains during the winter or escape hot weather if go above 4,000 feet of altitude or always be warm if an hour or more south of Atlanta. We have all the night life a person could want in metro ATL and all the Mayberry RFD if drive two hours any direction from Atlanta. Feel lucky to be born and raised here. With the largest airport in the world in Atlanta it's easy and cheap to fly almost anywhere you want to go due to competitive airlines trying to fill seats. Can even come visit the Ponderosa if SHTF and if make it here with the cloths on your back we can re-equip you and house you in a easy to defend location with enough supplies to keep a dozen folks working in a cohesive team. If more show have a spare house available next door.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2019, 03:43   #70
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
If looking for a state with very generous gun laws with little to no restrictions beyond federal law the Georgia is your state and likely to stay that way. North Carolina seems to be seeing a flood of northerners moving down. We don't have enough coast line to attract many beach folks and our mountains while nice just don't et much respect or notice. Plus all the liberals are mad an boycotting with some moving o I t over our new abortion laws. I believe our state capital crew is trying to discourage liberals from wanting to move here. It's legal open carry without a permit and loaded rifles in your truck except on wildlife management areas and other public lands during deer hunting season. Otherwise a polite yes sir and no sir should get you out of any issue if convince officer it's a defensive rifle not a hunting rifle.

Few tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, rampant fires or other such natural disastors. Can find snow if want in mountains during the winter or escape hot weather if go above 4,000 feet of altitude or always be warm if an hour or more south of Atlanta. We have all the night life a person could want in metro ATL and all the Mayberry RFD if drive two hours any direction from Atlanta. Feel lucky to be born and raised here. With the largest airport in the world in Atlanta it's easy and cheap to fly almost anywhere you want to go due to competitive airlines trying to fill seats. Can even come visit the Ponderosa if SHTF and if make it here with the cloths on your back we can re-equip you and house you in a easy to defend location with enough supplies to keep a dozen folks working in a cohesive team. If more show have a spare house available next door.
you kidding me ?

Georgia nearly elected a militant Progressive Black gal last time as Governor

Fatlanta controls the State as does Negro politics
Old December 27, 2019, 11:06   #71
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
At one time I would say Virginia. Especially the western parts. Weather is moderate. Good growing season. People (real Virginians) are friendly and helpful. Then last November happened and now the radical socialists control the state government with the help of non-assimilating immigrants and carpet bagging leftists. Hell, we may turn into a battleground state of a different sort!

Good luck on you search.
Whydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2019, 13:07   #72
hkshooter
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFOR View Post
Alaska!
This right here because.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
Hate to say it but you have to look at where Liberals DON'T want to live these days.
This.
Liberals want someone else to pay for it while putting out zero effort of their own. You have to go where only a can-do conservative attitude will provide for your survival and in general the harder it is to live some place the fewer freeloaders and welfare types you'll find. They won't want to go where they have to be responsible for any of their own survival (work for) and there aren't any welfare lines in the middle of the FN forest.
Plus, when SHTF and the big liberal cities collapse forcing all the natives into the wilderness you want to be so remote and hidden that they'll never bother to go find you.

I'm glad the OP found his peace. The very bottom line is if the SHTF there will be no place where any person will be left alone forever. Eventually someone will come a calling. Being anchored down with literal tons of gear, property, and food won't be the answer to survival. Pack light, be resourceful on the way, and keep on the move will be one's best bet.
Old December 27, 2019, 15:09   #73
Bawana jim
Registered

It really is about the people you want to live with, pick good people.
Old December 27, 2019, 18:34   #74
leadcounsel
Registered

FALaholic #: 61995
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post

Thanks for the input. I've already chosen, and I did look at Georgia. I've actually lived there. It has some redeeming qualities, I'll grant that. But it's not what I'm looking for. The summer temps were unbearable at Ft. Benning when I was stationed there. Was known for being the only place where you could have frost on the grass in the morning, and steam in the afternoon....

Google Stacy Abrahams. Georgia representative, and nearly elected governor. Solid anti-American leftist liberal who hates American values. Georgia has elected her as a representative for a decade, and nearly gave her more power as governor. NOT a good selling point.

Metro Atlanta has 4.5 million people. Roughly 3x the entire population of Idaho. Where do you suppose those people are going to go in the event of a disaster? Also, having the largest airport is not a redeeming quality. That means more people. It seems prone to high crime in/around ATL. I was in ATL once and was eager to get out as fast as possible. The demographics are not favorable to a conservative white guy wanting peace and quiet. I didn't spend much time in rural Georgia, granted. Probably every nice. But it's near the hub of American activity, grid, and so forth and not what I'm looking for in any respect.

I appreciate the suggestion, but it's not for me and doesn't make the top 25 for my criteria.
Old December 27, 2019, 23:40   #75
bulletslap
Registered

FALaholic #: 8042
Western Oklahoma, Western Kansas, or Wyoming would be my choice....If I were not over 60. I will hold out in West Texas, it may last as long as I do.
Old December 28, 2019, 16:15   #76
Cavadus
Registered

FALaholic #: 72900
Quote:
Stay out of Texas, it's fallen.
It will be blue within the next ten years.
That and the border situation.
Having escaped from the commie shit hole of the Twin Cities, Minnesomalia, to Texas and getting to know the lay of the land I've observed a lot.

I'm a software engineer who lives in Denton county and works in Collin county both of which are exceptionally affluent.

As much as people wish to complain about illegal immigration there's a large individualist/statist balkianization occurring across the nation right now. I obviously took part in it.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm a software engineer for a nation-wide company (I guarantee there probably isn't a single American who hasn't eaten at something owned by my company) and all of the transplants in my company's digital division are quite conservative to include the handful of California transplants.

But we have engineers from New Jersey, Nevada, New York, et cetera. Even the black transplants are die hard conservatives. But in my conversations with all of the transplants it was clear that what drove them away from their home state to Texas was politics. It was the primary motivating factor for all of them.

So I'm aware that what's fed by media, even conservative media, is nothing but DOOM™ but if a 1/3 of the dudes I work with, in a field dominated by marxists, and many of them being people of color, are all conservatives fleeing marxist shit holes then I just can't buy it.

So, I definitely had that same fear as you initially especially since even legal immigrants vote 3:1 in favor of marxists but my experience with my co-workers and the other companies we work with has really changed that perception.

That and the fact that Texans are the only people left in the Union whom are more loyal to their state than to America itself. This matters more than any other factor when it comes to force, IMO.

EDIT: You can check out the presidential election historical results for Texas here. Even in the last election you can see that there's nothing particularly atypical about the margins/results. Most people don't take into account that the Bushes, by virtue of being Texans, had a strong turnout but if you contrast that Texas' voting patterns for non-Texas republicans it's completely on par and of a higher much higher margin in favor of republicans than many previous cycles.

Last edited by Cavadus; December 28, 2019 at 16:23.
Cavadus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2019, 16:27   #77
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Southern AZ sucks,,,,,this below from yesterday,,,so stay away,,,border is dangerous,,,everything will eat ya dogs and cats,,and people disappear to be found beheaded all the time around here.
And its damn cold here,,,all the time...............................

Liberals are everywhere now a days,,,they began to multiply about time people went onto city water,,,some kind of chemical I suspect added to the water........
No other explanation.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2019, 16:42   #78
Bawana jim
Registered

Yellowhand, is Arizona mostly immigrants from other state or people with real long term roots?
Old December 28, 2019, 17:04   #79
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavadus View Post
Having escaped from the commie shit hole of the Twin Cities, Minnesomalia, to Texas and getting to know the lay of the land I've observed a lot.

I'm a software engineer who lives in Denton county and works in Collin county both of which are exceptionally affluent.

As much as people wish to complain about illegal immigration there's a large individualist/statist balkianization occurring across the nation right now. I obviously took part in it.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm a software engineer for a nation-wide company (I guarantee there probably isn't a single American who hasn't eaten at something owned by my company) and all of the transplants in my company's digital division are quite conservative to include the handful of California transplants.

But we have engineers from New Jersey, Nevada, New York, et cetera. Even the black transplants are die hard conservatives. But in my conversations with all of the transplants it was clear that what drove them away from their home state to Texas was politics. It was the primary motivating factor for all of them.

So I'm aware that what's fed by media, even conservative media, is nothing but DOOM™ but if a 1/3 of the dudes I work with, in a field dominated by marxists, and many of them being people of color, are all conservatives fleeing marxist shit holes then I just can't buy it.

So, I definitely had that same fear as you initially especially since even legal immigrants vote 3:1 in favor of marxists but my experience with my co-workers and the other companies we work with has really changed that perception.

That and the fact that Texans are the only people left in the Union whom are more loyal to their state than to America itself. This matters more than any other factor when it comes to force, IMO.

EDIT: You can check out the presidential election historical results for Texas here. Even in the last election you can see that there's nothing particularly atypical about the margins/results. Most people don't take into account that the Bushes, by virtue of being Texans, had a strong turnout but if you contrast that Texas' voting patterns for non-Texas republicans it's completely on par and of a higher much higher margin in favor of republicans than many previous cycles.
Yea Im from Texas. Multiple generations. Cattle ranchers, then oil, and even some real estate. I know the voting habits well since most if not all my family still live, own land and vote there.
Its falling, and falling fast.
Not sure where you are getting the idea that Texas is the only place where people people are loyal to their home state. I find no difference in Idaho, Montana or even in the peoples republic of Khalifornistan.
Good luck with your stats though. If that makes you feel better then Im all for it.
But there is a reason lifelong Texans are selling to Yankees and escaping.
Old December 28, 2019, 17:38   #80
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Yellowhand, is Arizona mostly immigrants from other state or people with real long term roots?
Tucson and Phoenix are both blue areas,,,,rest of the state,,,Red,,,with an Indian reservation being blue of course,,,forget which one.

New comers are heading into the two big blue cities,,,not so much the wilderness where most of us live.

I'm still considered a "new comer" and have lived here 35 years in total.

AZ has about 6 million people,,,and about three million,,live in Phoenix and Tucson or surrounding areas.

We wilderness types can still out vote the two cities,,,how much longer,,,no idea.

We had a liberal lady and her husband move into my area last year,,,,bought a really nice home,,,about 2 weeks ago,,,,she stopped by,,,,ugh,,,and asked if I'd seen her little dog,,,nope.

Couple of days later,,,,,,found the little dogs remains in my back pasture,,,shoveled it up and returned it home to her.

Wife asked,,,,if I'd notice the liberal lady had a for sale sign out in front of their home,,said nope,,had not noticed,,,must be new.

Liberals don;t last long around here for some reason.

Old December 28, 2019, 17:58   #81
C2A1
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 15514
Ya, snow on the mountains around Benson and Wilcox. Drove thru snow showers from Tucson to east of Lordsburg, NM today.
On I-10 between Tucson to Benson, I had to laugh as I passed a bunch of lemmings ( democraps ) all following one another. All had Bernie, Warren and a few Biden bumper stickers. All were cat ladies. However at the front of the line was an old car, with Mr. ponytail with a Mondale sticker.
Talking with county planning they are looking at a 5000 home development outside of Benson to handle spill over from Tucson. Sad!
C2A1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2019, 19:05   #82
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2A1 View Post
Ya, snow on the mountains around Benson and Wilcox. Drove thru snow showers from Tucson to east of Lordsburg, NM today.
On I-10 between Tucson to Benson, I had to laugh as I passed a bunch of lemmings ( democraps ) all following one another. All had Bernie, Warren and a few Biden bumper stickers. All were cat ladies. However at the front of the line was an old car, with Mr. ponytail with a Mondale sticker.
Talking with county planning they are looking at a 5000 home development outside of Benson to handle spill over from Tucson. Sad!
Benson Arizona

Old December 28, 2019, 20:58   #83
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
That development,,the one just south of I 10 between the Caverns and Benson cut off,, has been on hold now for several years,,,as water is being litigated in the courts.

We had one of these mega developments all planned here local with streets cut/paved,,,street signs,,,and nope,,,its all back as a cow pasture, which it will remain as.

The area can only sustain so many people,,,and local people have taken the build it and run away folks to court and stopped them.

If an area,,can't sustain housing for 100 years with as is water resources,,,,no new major developments.

Old December 29, 2019, 00:53   #84
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Blade View Post
Utah, Nevada and Arizona are turning Purple and will be going to Blue like Colorado and New Mexico in a few years...
Utah is not purple, and will never go blue. Full stop, end of story.

Look at how many people voted for HRC. None... or maybe two or three people.

That state has an "Official State Handgun" (1911 by JMB, of course), and it is actually legal to pay your taxes in silver.

Church doctrine is that you are to be responsible yourself for your family's needs. Extended family is second to help out when there is a need. Church is third. Government (meaning other people being forced at the point of a gun...) is last - so no Dems/Commies are going to get on board for that.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of StalinĎs thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2019, 10:07   #85
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Southern AZ sucks,,,,,this below from yesterday,,,so stay away,,,border is dangerous,,,everything will eat ya dogs and cats,,and people disappear to be found beheaded all the time around here.
And its damn cold here,,,all the time...............................

Liberals are everywhere now a days,,,they began to multiply about time people went onto city water,,,some kind of chemical I suspect added to the water........
No other explanation.

It appears that even the plants out there are dangerous since most of them have to be kept in cages!
Whydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2019, 10:50   #86
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydah View Post
It appears that even the plants out there are dangerous since most of them have to be kept in cages!
3/4 foot tall jack rabbits from hell roam these evil lands,,,been known to haul off small children,,dogs, cats,, and the elderly.

Run around in packs they do.
Real gang activity...

Old December 29, 2019, 11:41   #87
C2A1
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 15514
Good for the Benson area. Having done water surveys in south eastern Az, I never figured out how Tucson survives. Water table keeps dropping. Last year I looked into the water table in Wilcox and then over in Bowie. Who ever put in those pecan etc grooves over by Bowie is going to have a big surprise in a few years. Table has dropped over 5 feet in 5 years and the salt layer is rising. I was looking at Cochise as it isn't growing and far enough off the interstate not many Kali types coming (no Starbucks for sure).
Rule of thumb, no starbucks for 50 miles good, starbucks closer, bad.
C2A1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2019, 11:55   #88
Bawana jim
Registered

Some parts of central oregon it's difficult to drill a well so they put in a cistern and have water hauled to them. If I lived in a dry state I would have a big cistern made out of concrete.
Old December 29, 2019, 14:09   #89
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Good for the Benson area. Having done water surveys in south eastern Az, I never figured out how Tucson survives. Water table keeps dropping. Last year I looked into the water table in Wilcox and then over in Bowie. Who ever put in those pecan etc grooves over by Bowie is going to have a big surprise in a few years. Table has dropped over 5 feet in 5 years and the salt layer is rising. I was looking at Cochise as it isn't growing and far enough off the interstate not many Kali types coming (no Starbucks for sure).
Rule of thumb, no starbucks for 50 miles good, starbucks closer, bad.
Starbucks is a poor metric
local Grocery store deli has a Caribou Coffee, about the same thing and in fact were evenly tossed up between the two franchises as the cost was similar
in the end they opted for Caribou as it seemed to better suit the Northwoods

Still some talk about a Starbucks coming in

This in a community of under 2000 souls

My opinion ?
A far better metric is the distance to the closest Walmart
For me it's roughly a hundred miles one way
Heck it's 35 miles to the closest McDonalds
A hundred to a Dominoes, Pizza Slut

We have pizza joints, driveins, but few franchised operations outside subways and Dairy Queer. Most are local family outfits
One sells buckets of deep fried Chicken Gizzards, a couple sell Walleye filet sandwiches @ 7 bucks with homemade tarter sauce and fries. Think the Rib Eye sandwich is like a buck more
Pizza joint in town is wonderful
Thin Crust Sicilian. They grind their own sausage and make their own sauce
Owner is a younger guy, well late 30s from New York who married one of the gals I went to high school with daughter
so no we really miss little in our relative isolation up here
We have a local brewery now as well supplying bars in the region. That tap room is always packed out

downsides ?
only one grocery store, two if you count the Asian one
No real place to shop for clothes in town anymore short of socks and underware at Dollar General.

we have a very large General store so Stoves, freezers, TVs, you name it are locally available and pretty reasonable actually
We have a local super fancy Sporting Goods outlet that's extremely well stocked...few hundred guns, fishing gear, archery, extensive top line outdoors clothing which is how many dress now. Think a slightly smaller version of a big Cabelas branch but again this is locally owned and ran

Folks here just accept a day trip to buy new clothes
Sorry truth of it for us is that it's just a bit closer to Shop in Winnipeg Manitoba as it is to shop say Grand Forks ND and there is plenty of good in that friend.

Water...
That to me is the staff of life
if your potable water supply is questionable you are one big dummy for choosing to live wherever
I can hand dig a well around here by myself, hit the waterline at maybe ' depth on my own property...sweet, pure H2O filtered through Glacial sand deposits

North Dakota is real variable
I was born in Towner County out there and wells varied widely just within a block or two in small towns. My grandparents well was sweet water, the neighbor right next door brackish with Sulphur stank when you opened a tap
Her water stained clothes in the washing machine

Cousin north of Rolla had insanely bad water, his bride made him spend thousands on water treatment for the farm house, RO set up, H2O2 injection, etc. Great water now but the plumber is out there every six months pulling membrains and static filters. Used to be when you opened a tap there it smelled like a wet Beer fart...heavy Sulphide count
Water used to come out slightly brownish, my Aunt gave up on her house plants, they always ended up dead
that's nearly as bad as no water at all

Family was filthy with money but it kinda bites when after bathing you end up smelling like a washed turd
Old December 31, 2019, 21:15   #90
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
Well, Oklahoma has low cost of living , generally flat, but lots of cheap land & very strong gun culture. The one democrat in congress will be toast soon. Weather is generally warm and snow rare. Not commie like Texas.
0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2019, 21:44   #91
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0302 View Post
Well, Oklahoma has low cost of living , generally flat, but lots of cheap land & very strong gun culture. The one democrat in congress will be toast soon. Weather is generally warm and snow rare. Not commie like Texas.
Back when we had a good economy out here it was common for "Oakies" to move out here for work. Not many stayed to my knowledge. They worked in the saw mills and it's ugly work men don't really like plus you never made any real money.

They would get homesick for Oaklahoma so they would go down and buy a bunch of furniture and appliances on credit then sell them to whoever would buy them for cash. Traveling money. That was the 1950s and 60s before credit cards.
Old January 01, 2020, 13:59   #92
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
I'm in a unique point in life. I'm looking for a state to start my business and settle down and also begin building my long-term preps.

We're clearly facing huge economic, oil, global terrorism, fiat currency, debt, infrastructure, etc. problems that I don't see 1) ANY real solutions and 2) ANY appetite from most of our leaders to fix these problems. It's becoming sci-fi novel and bad dream.

I think that we've got less than 5 years of 'good times' left before the balloon goes up. Maybe less.

I would like to settle in a state where I can buy some affordable property, build a nice stronghold, and stockpile, grow a garden and have some livestock.

Single adult with no real attachments to any state. My profession as a lawyer means that it is difficult to move around a lot (licensing hassels, clientele, need to be near-ish a populated area, etc.) and re-establish myself.

I'm currently near Tacoma, WA. There is plenty of work here. And lots of resources. Concerns is that it is dangerously liberal and could fall. It's also quite populated on the coastline.

Other locations at the top of my list are Utah, Arizona, and Texas.

The concerns of AZ and TX are the Mexico border and dry climate.

How are these states for small businesses? Costs of property/land? Taxes? These are all quite conservative/free places and pro-gun. What are your thoughts on prepping in these states?
As for the top of your list, Utah really isnít affordable any more. We have to many transplants from CA that have driven prices sky high with no end in sight. There are a few spots where property can be had at some what a reasonable price but itís not really what I would be looking for in a prepper/homestead location. Not really close to any kind of city to get supplies and doesnít have a good water supply to be able to be self sufficient.

The economy is great for small business, not sure what kind of work you do but there is a large selection of business to pick from here.

It does have a unique culture because of the large part of the population are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. However there are many other religions that are represented (Catholic, Baptist, Evangelical, Greek Orthodox, etc). The unique culture actually is very pro prepper and most participate in some way or another. It has a whole economic sector that actually thrives on this and several of the businesses have actually been around since the 1980ís.

My wife and I have been looking at moving and Wyoming and Montana and Alaska keep coming up.
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2020, 17:07   #93
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
OK is proving to be ok. I spent 2 hours at the public gun range at Lexington, shot fal, 12 gage, 30-30, jericho, all lanes full, lots of arís, an m249 semiauto, its cool. My impression is OK will be red a long time. OKC is growing so a mix of country life & big city if ya gotta go uptown. Weather is hot to mild. Lots of lakes, esp in the northeast. If u r ndn there are some decent ihs facilities available. The fouled bore gun range has a 1000 m range just south of chickasha. Lots of indoor ranges around OKC. Dallas is 3 hours away too.
0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2020, 19:02   #94
Shoots High
previously "powderhead"

FALaholic #: 18717
Believe it or not, central and western Nebraska has a lot to offer. But finding work can be problematic.
Shoots High is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2020, 19:41   #95
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoots High View Post
Believe it or not, central and western Nebraska has a lot to offer. But finding work can be problematic.
Seems that the issue in all red states. People WORK!

I remember people telling me when I made my trek to Northern Idaho that I had better bring my job.

Ive found in the last 20 years worth of moves ( Texas, Az, NorCal, Idaho ) that if you are the type of person who works hard, there will always be someone hiring.
Old January 01, 2020, 21:52   #96
madmax_fal
Mad Max
Contributor

FALaholic #: 78386
Once career objectives are accomplished, I plan to relocate to northern Idaho. Friends who made the move awhile back can't speak highly enough of the low taxes and regs, affordable land, and very red (especially up north) leaning.
Old January 02, 2020, 09:39   #97
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Nebraska is full "NO Occupancy". Just kidding, if you are progun but like paying taxes, Nebraska is the place for you. Taxes here are ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoots High View Post
Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2020, 20:04   #98
FrankLloydWright
Registered

FALaholic #: 83652
Catron County, NM. Strongly conservative, low population, good water, game, fishing, close proximity to the 3.3 million acre Gila Wilderness.

Frank