Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old February 11, 2020, 23:27   #1
STG_58_guy
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 65886
I'm looking for a tactical vest - suggestions?

Something like this

https://www.voodootactical.net/molle...ault-vest.html

I went and looked at this model at Sportsmans Guide and was disappointed to find that the rifle magazine pouches were sized for MP 5 mags. It seemed well made, great material, and the cross draw holster seemed solid. But I want something that ideally can carry 6 FAL mags, or at least 3 FAL mags or 6 AR mags.

Does anyone make what I'm looking for?

I want this so I can carry a bunch of full mags at our private range and all the other junk I seem to need. Usually, I'm one of the guys setting up the bench for other, less experienced shooters. It always seems like the bench gets cluttered up with junk. I hate setting my mags down on the concrete. I hate it when tools and stuff end up in the grass. It isn't cool having more than one type of ammo out on the bench. I want a vest that carries all this stuff.

Plus it would be nice to have the thing hanging in the gun room loaded up and ready to go. I don't need this for imagined combat duty. I'm not going back country, and I'm no operator. But if I had to dash I don't have quick way to do so with a handgun and a couple hundred rounds of pistol and rifle ammo.

Any suggestions?
STG_58_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2020, 23:41   #2
Tip_drill
Registered

FALaholic #: 82930
An inexpensive option would be to purchase a TAP... tactical assault panel that will hold 6ea AR mags and 2ea 7.62 mags in larger right and left pockets....

All mags are kept in one layer and close to your body.. which is nice when you have to get your ass down as low as possible in the dirt because you are being shot at

The other more practical feature is Molle webbing covering the front which allows you to add other pouches in a modular fashion.... I carried M14 mags in molle canteen pouches on my plate carrier rig

The TAP I had either clipped on to my plate carrier or could be worn independent with harness straps.

Last edited by Tip_drill; February 11, 2020 at 23:47.
Tip_drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2020, 00:01   #3
pre1989
Registered

FALaholic #: 76523
I have found for big and tall a lot of the mall ninja vest just dont fit right ..I like a grab and go set up ..

Lot of options look at Grunt gear , AR500 ,Legion ..Get a plate carrier or such and add what you need to it some sell pre set up ie mags , etc . Plus having the abbility to put plate in is very handy ...Mall ninja vest zipp in the front so armor is out
pre1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2020, 00:22   #4
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
For regular guys who don't wear helmets, and who can't ruck 50# of gear at a steady 3 mph over broken terrain for three hours, a good-quality backpack is usually a better choice. A backpack works better than a vest if you need to take it off and use it as a rest, or if you just take a rest and take it off.

If you are considering a ballistic vest, that's going to add a lot MORE weight. Moreover, consider the choices you made leading up to the idea that you need a ballistic vest.

With the backpack, you can diversify your load based on the day's needs, and everybody doesn't get to see what you are carrying. Vests are pretty one-dimensional. Magazine pouches ride as well in a backpack as they do velcro'd to your man-boobs.

What's worse, old guys dressed up as Delta who try to do Delta shit usually have to be helped home. That shit's just embarrassing.

I have one of those vests like you put in your link. It hangs on an expensive super-duty clothes hanger in my basement. The clothes-hanger is tougher than I am.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2020, 00:40   #5
STG_58_guy
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
For regular guys who don't wear helmets, and who can't ruck 50# of gear at a steady 3 mph over broken terrain for three hours, a good-quality backpack is usually a better choice. A backpack works better than a vest if you need to take it off and use it as a rest, or if you just take a rest and take it off.

If you are considering a ballistic vest, that's going to add a lot MORE weight. Moreover, consider the choices you made leading up to the idea that you need a ballistic vest.

With the backpack, you can diversify your load based on the day's needs, and everybody doesn't get to see what you are carrying. Vests are pretty one-dimensional. Magazine pouches ride as well in a backpack as they do velcro'd to your man-boobs.

What's worse, old guys dressed up as Delta who try to do Delta shit usually have to be helped home. That shit's just embarrassing.

I have one of those vests like you put in your link. It hangs on an expensive super-duty clothes hanger in my basement. The clothes-hanger is tougher than I am.
Yeah. I'm no Delta and don't need armor. I'm looking for something I'll use as much as a tool belt as anything else. I just need to keep every horizontal surface in the shooting area from filling up with stuff. And keep stuff off the ground. As far as humping gear - that would be from the magazine loading area (the dinner table in the cabin) to one of two shooting benches 50 feet away. Might even stop for a lemonaide break halfway.
Old February 12, 2020, 00:50   #6
STG_58_guy
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor
Platinum Contributor

The other thing is that a sudden sun shower inevitably blows in at some point during the day and everyone runs around picking up all the stuff covering every horizontal surface, throwing it into boxes and such so that everyone's gear is mixed together in a big mess.

Wouldn't be nice if all my gear was in a vest?

UTG makes one that will hold AR mags that I can get from Amazon for less than $40. How can I go wrong with that?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

Anybody have one?
Old February 12, 2020, 14:37   #7
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Same vest in both your links.

I have one.

It gets heavy and uncomfortable when fully loaded. If you want to wear a jacket over it, you will need to invest in a big one.

If you are determined to have the “tactical vest experience,” I say go for it.

I’ve been doing this for a spell. A good quality backpack is my solution. Especially one with super robust zippers and a super robust top grab loop that won’t rip when you grab it like a purse.

Budget appropriately for something of this quality:
https://www.maxpedition.com/products...d-backpack-15l

Old February 12, 2020, 15:04   #8
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
I bought a Helikon tex mini training rig that's made for the range. I can't say it's heavy duty going to war rig but for the range it would be fine. The rig holds four AR magazines or you can buy their upgraded rig that allows changes to 762 magazine. Helikon Tex has a lot of you tube adds and just poke in what you want. Or go to their website.

Another one if you are going to war is gear that Ronin set up for battle. He is one smart dude and obviously a warrior that trains others. Look him up on you tube and take the time to learn why the new gear comming out is so much better.
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2020, 16:51   #9
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
I bought a NIW FLC Vest somewhere a while back and accessorized it to suit. Had a large time picking up this and that from fleabay. Went through a couple of setups before before I settled. USGI mag, accessory, and canteen pouches along with cheap pistol mag pouches and a “universal” pistol holster. I spent more than had to trying different versions but I ended up with what I wanted. Each pouch will hold 20 rd FAL/AR10/G3 mags or two each 20 rd 5.56 AR mags. certainly enough for a range trip of a reconnoiter around the hood. Or as far as my old ass is gong to hump.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"

Last edited by Timber Wolf; February 14, 2020 at 18:22.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2020, 20:16   #10
Bawana jim
Registered

I dug up the ronin vest for you, it's about 8 minutes I think and he covers what he thinks a vest should do.

https://youtu.be/cp1xdcH2U10
Old February 12, 2020, 22:47   #11
STG_58_guy
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Same vest in both your links.

I have one.

It gets heavy and uncomfortable when fully loaded. If you want to wear a jacket over it, you will need to invest in a big one.

If you are determined to have the “tactical vest experience,” I say go for it.

I’ve been doing this for a spell. A good quality backpack is my solution. Especially one with super robust zippers and a super robust top grab loop that won’t rip when you grab it like a purse.

Budget appropriately for something of this quality:
https://www.maxpedition.com/products...d-backpack-15l

They look the same but they are not. One is Voodo, one is UTG. The UTG will hold AR mags, the Vodoo will not.

I have such a back pack.
https://www.amazon.com/SwissGear-190...45440384&psc=1

It ends up in somebodies chair or on the damp grass and it takes me 10 minutes digging through it to find what I need. But I hear ya.
Old February 12, 2020, 22:54   #12
STG_58_guy
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I bought a NIW FLC Vest somewhere a while back and accessorized it to suit. Had a large time picking up this and that from fleabay. Went through a couple of setups before before I settled. USGI mag, accessory, and canteen pouches along with cheap pistol mag pouches and a “universal” pistol holster. I spent more than had to trying different versions but I ended up with what I wanted. The rig will hold 20 FAL/AR10/G3 mags or two each 20 round 5.56 AR mags. certainly enough for a range trip of a reconnoiter around the hood. Or as far as my old ass is gong to hump.
Is 20 FAL mags a typo? Thats 50 pounds of loaded mags. How much did it set you back?

Again, I'm not looking for combat gear, just a tool belt for my private range. Full disclosure: it ain't mine, I'm a guest. For 35 years now. A working, dues paying guest. And the guys will laugh at me when they see it.
Old February 12, 2020, 23:01   #13
STG_58_guy
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
I bought a Helikon tex mini training rig that's made for the range. I can't say it's heavy duty going to war rig but for the range it would be fine. The rig holds four AR magazines or you can buy their upgraded rig that allows changes to 762 magazine. Helikon Tex has a lot of you tube adds and just poke in what you want. Or go to their website.

Another one if you are going to war is gear that Ronin set up for battle. He is one smart dude and obviously a warrior that trains others. Look him up on you tube and take the time to learn why the new gear comming out is so much better.
That might work. What keeps that back part from riding up to your neck? Looks front heavy. I must be missing something.
Old February 12, 2020, 23:05   #14
STG_58_guy
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
I dug up the ronin vest for you, it's about 8 minutes I think and he covers what he thinks a vest should do.

Yeah. Don't need operator gear. But thanks for digging that up.
Old February 12, 2020, 23:09   #15
STG_58_guy
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor
Platinum Contributor

I need to carry loaded and empty magazines, my handgun, sharpy markers, roll of tape, stapler, package of sticky dots, a couple odd boxes of ammo (to keep them off the bench when shooting other calibers), a few tools, my dope notebook, and a pack of smokes.

Edit: and my reading glasses and a little flashlight. And an assortment of lense caps.

And a place to hang my hearing protection.
Old February 12, 2020, 23:58   #16
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
Just get an flc with pouches
0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2020, 00:33   #17
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Quote:

That's some bad-ass gear. Not cheap.

Important to configure it for your "mission"

I still like the backpack. If you are concerned about setting your backpack down on wet or muddy ground a trashbag (or several) take up almost no room in the bottom of the backpack. Set your pack on (or in) the trash bag.

I like individual magazine pouches (hold several mags each) stuffed in the backpack if I have multiple guns at the range.

Also the backpack has plenty of room for stuff like super-glue (cuts and such), bandages, screwdrivers, knives , vise-grips, eye protection, meds, snacks, ass-wipes, shit I stole from other shooters and from my wife, wallets, and that pack of fig newtons from last year's Camp Perry. Or was it the year-BEFORE-last? If they aint got green shit on them, they're usually still OK to eat.

The backpack can get pretty heavy - especially if the mags are loaded. But at least I don't have to wear the thing constantly - or hardly even wear it all (hence the sturdy purse handle).

Old February 13, 2020, 00:35   #18
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

and a small mirror.

I never get shit in my eye except when I don't have my backpack with the small mirror.

Add a bottle of Visene. Just don't mix-up the Visene with the super-glue.
They are similar-sized.... and when you've got something in your eye....

Old February 13, 2020, 10:37   #19
starbuck
Registered

FALaholic #: 26466
I use the US 3-day assault pack. They are about $40 on ebay. More if you want the stiffener insert but you can replace that with one of those cheap IIIA kids backpack inserts to protect yourself when your running away. /s

I'm super happy with mine, me and the kids have packs with our high speed baofengs in grenade pouches. I use their old swim bags unless I know I'm going to a friendly location.
Old February 13, 2020, 12:07   #20
Bawana jim
Registered

Here is a two minute video of a mini training rig. I bought one of these in urban camo and I am very happy with it. It was $94 but the price went up on Amazon to $120. It's comfortable to me with a load it is intended to carry but probably won't carry all you want.

https://youtu.be/-MYiOHZ5NMQ

They make gear to fit anything you want to do so explore their website.

Last edited by Bawana jim; February 13, 2020 at 17:40.
Old February 13, 2020, 12:19   #21
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
That's some bad-ass gear. Not cheap.

Important to configure it for your "mission"

I still like the backpack. If you are concerned about setting your backpack down on wet or muddy ground a trashbag (or several) take up almost no room in the bottom of the backpack. Set your pack on (or in) the trash bag.

I like individual magazine pouches (hold several mags each) stuffed in the backpack if I have multiple guns at the range.

Also the backpack has plenty of room for stuff like super-glue (cuts and such), bandages, screwdrivers, knives , vise-grips, eye protection, meds, snacks, ass-wipes, shit I stole from other shooters and from my wife, wallets, and that pack of fig newtons from last year's Camp Perry. Or was it the year-BEFORE-last? If they aint got green shit on them, they're usually still OK to eat.

The backpack can get pretty heavy - especially if the mags are loaded. But at least I don't have to wear the thing constantly - or hardly even wear it all (hence the sturdy purse handle).
I am buying new gear to put the weight more balanced if I need to carry it. I am getting old and just picking up heavy gear can throw your back out or hurt your arthritis to the point you have killed yourself.

Heck I have all the old gear they wore in Vietnam and it's given good service but it's too heavy for an old man and doesn't balance well. I gave it all to my brothers kid and he is really happy with it.

Here is a 3 minute video of the Helikon bob back pack I bought. Mine is urban colors and doesn't look tactical . It's grey but looks green in low light. I have lighted the load a lot and what I feel I need will fit the bag and not give me a hernia when I pick it up.

https://youtu.be/89PhLXobQdM

$144

Last edited by Bawana jim; February 13, 2020 at 12:24.
Old February 14, 2020, 10:37   #22
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20461
You might find something that fits your needs at Beez Combat Systems.

https://www.beezcombatsystems.com/

Ard Choille!
skeeterbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2020, 11:37   #23
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

I threw my back out reaching to answer the phone.

That’s not near as bad as my wife fell down a flight of steps running to answer the phone.

And we wonder why nobody answers the phone any more.

Old February 14, 2020, 11:38   #24
Stoney
Former 0311
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1205
mine's a jeep, ain't doing no hiking

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

"Some minds are like concrete, thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.”

Has freedom been replaced with Free-Dumb.

Illegitimi non carborundum

A 1911A1 is like a Glock, except it's for grownups.

AMERICA! Designed by geniuses. Now run by idiots.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen." Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old Viking saying: Never be more then two steps from your weapon

Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living.
Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2020, 11:38   #25
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:

About sums up my experiences too...

I have a couple of vests bought off Amazon many years ago that seem to be very well made and work well (direct from China, probably Wuhan () ). One has ESAPI plates and the other AR500 plates. Both have all sorts of pockets for mags, pistols, and all sorts of other crap.

I really like them, but I doubt that I could wear them and move these days...

I often throw an AR pistol in a case in my car when traveling. I usually back that up with a camera bag (with loaded AR mags and extra 5.56x45mm and 9x19mmP ammo). Works pretty well in the car, and is nondescript...

I say all this while being in pretty good physical shape for my age (I walk a lot).

I think that Gary is right about backpacks. Of course, if armor is still your thing while running around, something else is needed...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2020, 18:26   #26
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by STG_58_guy View Post
Is 20 FAL mags a typo? Thats 50 pounds of loaded mags. How much did it set you back?

Again, I'm not looking for combat gear, just a tool belt for my private range. Full disclosure: it ain't mine, I'm a guest. For 35 years now. A working, dues paying guest. And the guys will laugh at me when they see it.
Oops, I fixed my post. They are 20 round mags, not 20 mags. Yes that would be heavy. I don’t know what I spent. The vest was less than $20 delivered and the pouches a few bucks each to maybe $10-$12 each off fleabay. It was my solution to get just what I wanted.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2020, 20:14   #27
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
my own thoughts on this:

1st off such a vest will need to be configured differently depending on season
many fine folks here really don't get what a real Winter is and what works one half the year will not work during the other half up here
in truth you need two different rigs unless you intend on packing under a very oversized Parka

You are an engineer
think this through, research it
if you intend on staying up here look at Arctic gear from the Russias and Finland to start, go from there

Don't expect to find it off the shelf
most gear has been designed for far different environments
you probably will have to have it built to your specs

That don't mean massive cash either
buddies daughter used to do this kind of work then she started having youngsters and dropped out of it
That said, there are plenty of folks with industrial grade sewing machines out there. Amish, Hutterites and other groups like that will do tactical tailoring if you are not some frothing at the mouth nutter
same with leather work
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2020, 20:47   #28
Bawana jim
Registered

Two minutes video of helikon tex swagman roll. Made as part of layer system for colder weather.

https://youtu.be/lcVCqdBFMq8
Old February 14, 2020, 22:29   #29
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20461
FWIW: My sons and I are forever switching from one vehicle to another or a piece of equipment. Back when I carried a FAL or an AR a lot I came to the conclusion that a simple chest rig like a Rhodie canvas rig worked the best for me. Most of the time I carried it like a bandoleer and didn't wear it. When I left in the morning the rifle and chest rig got tossed in my truck. If I changed vehicles throughout the day they came with me. If I decided to take a walk I could wear it. A large shirt or coat over it hid it fairly well and it fit in a back pack nicely. It was a much better system than my old way of leaving rifles in each truck.

Ard Choille!

Last edited by skeeterbay; February 14, 2020 at 22:45.
skeeterbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2020, 23:14   #30
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
my own thoughts on this:

Amish, Hutterites and other groups like that will do tactical tailoring if you are not some frothing at the mouth nutter
same with leather work
I wonder if the Hutterites can add some cartridge loops to my chaps?

They could get heavy though.

Might need them to work up some tactical suspenders to hold my chaps up.

"Chaps and Chucks."
I could start a youtube channel

Could lend a lucrative angle to "see-through" scope rings.

Old February 14, 2020, 23:46   #31
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
Buy something that is modular.
Anyone that has ever worn a PC,CR or vest will always tell you to get the best you can afford ONCE.
Not crap from China.
You might not want plates now, but you might in the future so finding a rig that will let you run them if you so decide is a smart move as well.

LBTC 6094, CRYE, HSGI, SHELLBACK are the gold standard.

I keep a battle rattle because at 48 I still want to be my younger self.
That and training with it is paramount.
Never know when you'll need it again.
Old February 15, 2020, 01:18   #32
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
I wonder if the Hutterites can add some cartridge loops to my chaps?

They could get heavy though.

Might need them to work up some tactical suspenders to hold my chaps up.

"Chaps and Chucks."
I could start a youtube channel

Could lend a lucrative angle to "see-through" scope rings.
you and your damn assless chaps WEG
you just know there is some Wisconsin cheesehead wanting to lick your jeweled buttplug
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2020, 08:53   #33
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
you just know there is some Wisconsin cheesehead wanting to lick your jeweled buttplug
His ass less chaps are urban camo for DC and all of kali.
Old February 15, 2020, 13:28   #34
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Take a look at the Run and Gun gear used by the shooters. It will be light weight, carry a lot of gear and have secure storage.

Nuttz, a member here, has put out several videos of the gear he has used over the last couple of years at the matches he has gone too. The nice thing about his videos is they show how he has changed or modified the gear to work better as he got used to the match climate.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2020, 15:31   #35
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
Take a look at the Run and Gun gear used by the shooters. It will be light weight, carry a lot of gear and have secure storage.

Nuttz, a member here, has put out several videos of the gear he has used over the last couple of years at the matches he has gone too. The nice thing about his videos is they show how he has changed or modified the gear to work better as he got used to the match climate.
I bet Nuttz also has some videos of him in chaps that Gary can use too.
Old February 15, 2020, 16:28   #36
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

I'm working on a set of these - but with rainbow para-kord tassels.

A strip of pink MOLLE down the leg should make a swell attachment-point for the tassels, and tactical mag pouches.

And THAT BELT with those chaps. That could sure lend a new meaning to Sam "Brown" belt!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg rainbow chaps.jpg (74.6 KB, 9 views)

Old February 15, 2020, 16:33   #37
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Assless chaps is redundant. Assless pants are chaps.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2020, 16:38   #38
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
I'm working on a set of these - but with rainbow para-kord tassels.

A strip of pink MOLLE down the leg should make a swell attachment-point for the tassels, and tactical mag pouches.

And THAT BELT with those chaps. That could sure lend a new meaning to Sam "Brown" belt!

Thanks for putting your post as an attachment so my eyes and brain were not damaged. However just your written description is troubling.
Old February 15, 2020, 19:01   #39
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Thanks for putting your post as an attachment so my eyes and brain were not damaged. However just your written description is troubling.

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote