The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old February 08, 2020, 21:30   #1
ThatMedic
Registered

FALaholic #: 77517
Question Rebarreling FN49

Does anyone have information on barreling a FN49 receiver? I'm assuming it's similar to a FAL. Specifically I'm looking for a receiver wrench or pictures of one and barrel torque specs. I won an auction for a Columbian FN49 parts kit with receiver less barrel and stock. Could I modify a FAL barrel and chamber it in 308? Are the thread pitches the same? Google says they were originally in 30-06. I know Argentina rebarreled theirs to 7.62

Thanks
ThatMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 09, 2020, 06:32   #2
Goose52
Registered

FALaholic #: 4994
Gunplumber on this board has rebarreled a number of FN49s and has (had?) a supply of locking shoulders. There may be several others on the board that might be able to chime in as well.

Numrich lists a number of locking shoulders in stock but the are not listed dimensionally (by width) so it's difficult to know what to order if a new locking shoulder is necessary.

This rifle is NOT like a FAL where there are plenty of instructions and tools available to support a rebarrel - there is no such support for the FN-49.

A FAL barrel is not going to work. Your options for original FN49 barrels are to use a new or used 7.92mm Mauser barrel or a used (sometimes very used) .30-06 barrel (there are no NOS .30-06 barrels available).

There is no convenient way to end up with a 7.62 NATO chambering other than using the old GI insert in a .30-06 chamber. Otherwise, you would need to have a barrel custom-turned.

Used stock sets (listed as for ".30-06") are available although sometimes they are "very used."

Numrich, Sarco, and Apex are the primary parts vendors for FN-49 stuff.

Good luck !

Last edited by Goose52; February 09, 2020 at 06:49. Reason: Added Numrich locking shoulder info.
Goose52 is offline   Reply With Quote